Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Senator Crapo gets suspended license & $250 fine for DUI

Friday, January 4, 2013

Sen. Mike Crapo (R-ID) has had his driver’s license suspended and has been charged a fine of $250 in the wake of his arrest for driving under the influence two days before Christmas. According to the Boise Weekly‘s City Desk blog, Crapo will also be required to complete an alcohol safety program, but provided that he stay out of trouble, Virginia Judge Becky Moore agreed to suspend the 180-day jail sentence normally associated with DUI cases of this kind.

Crapo was pulled over by police after he drove through a red light in the early morning hours of December 23. After failing roadside sobriety tests, Crapo’s blood alcohol level registered as .14 when he blew into a breathalyzer. Virginia’s legal limit for driving is .08.

When officers asked if Crapo had been drinking, he admitted to taking several shots of vodka, but claimed that hours had passed since he drank them. Crapo, a devout Mormon, has stated before that he does not drink.

The Associated Press reported that prosecutors dropped a charge of disregarding a traffic signal.

After sentencing, the senator’s office released a statement that read, in part, “I am deeply sorry for the actions that resulted in this circumstance. I made a mistake for which I apologize to my family, my Idaho constituents and any others who have put their trust in me. I accept total responsibility and will deal with whatever penalty comes my way in this matter. I will undertake measures to ensure that this circumstance is never repeated.”

Idaho Democratic Party chairperson Larry Grant slammed Crapo in the wake of his arrest, saying that the senator has joined “a growing list of GOP elected officials who have embarrassed Idaho on the national stage in recent years.”

Former Idaho Sen. Larry Craig was arrested in a Minneapolis airport bathroom after soliciting sex from an undercover policeman in 2007.

by Anonymousreply 2001/05/2013

See, if Crapo had been caught having an affair or fucking a hooker or masturbating in public or anything else sexual he'd be forced to resign. But he can drink and drive (which could actually have killed someone) and he gets to keep his job!

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

R1 = Ex. Sen. Larry Craig ?

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

How come my first DUI was $1,500 fine and loss of driving for 6 months then???

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

Because you presumably aren't a politician who can get special treatment, R3.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

He got of easy!! Wow...

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

How does someone will a surname like that get elected to public office?

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

Cronyism, r6. His name is pronounced "CRAY-po" by the way.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

I'm a republican, but I have to tell you guys - this is going to get worse, mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

You should move to Idaho then, r3. DUI laws are state-by-state.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

What, R8?

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

This happened in Virginia, not Idaho. I think. In Idaho, they would have slapped him on the back and let him go because of who he is, but the next drunk driver would have gotten harsh treatment.

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

Wouldn't he have gotten preferential treatment in any state, R11?

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

I've wondered about something...

If most people who don't live in a major city lose their license, how do they get to work? Public transporation barely exists in most of the country. Yes, there are occasional buses but they mostly seem to go to the shopping malls and schools. Anyway, just wondering. I think I'd be screwed as far as work is concerned if I ever had my license suspended.

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

You think people with suspended licenses don't drive anyway, R13? How naive of you.

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

R14, am I missing the joke or can't you read?

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

Between the two of us, I'm not the one with comprehension problems, R15. Glad to help.

by Anonymousreply 1601/05/2013

Your local crime page lists people driving on a suspended license, R13/15.

by Anonymousreply 1701/05/2013

Idaho certainly does seem to have a problem with its Senators, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 1801/05/2013

The point is, R17, that the license status is irrelevant when the choice is between betting on getting away with it to keep making a living or complying with the law and losing your job. Or, for others, they never cared about obeying laws, which is how they got suspended in the first place.

Many of these people aren't the largest typeface on the page to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 1901/05/2013

Oh well, my taxpayer's money pays for my chauffeur anyway...

by Anonymousreply 2001/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!