Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What accent is this?

I'm not American and have never lived in the US, and I'm quite puzzled by the accent of the writer being interviewed in the podcast at the link below (Andrew Solomon). How would you describe it?

by Anonymousreply 1701/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 101/05/2013

He went to Horace Mann in NYC so I'm assuming he grew up here. I guess living oversees in England has influenced his speech because he has a faint British accent.

It's kind of like a Madonna thing only a lot less irritating.

by Anonymousreply 201/05/2013

Academic snob.

by Anonymousreply 301/05/2013

I'm American and it is a weird "accent", almost sounds like a slight Irish twang to me but it comes and goes, it's not consistent.

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

Northeast Adjunct Faculty

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

It's just an upper class American "boarding school accent" which as previous posters said is not an accent but an affectation. It's fake, no region or ethnic group in America talks like that naturally, it used to be taught to rich kids at their New England boarding schools (think Edie Sedgwick) and was common in Old Hollywood but I didn't think anyone was a big enough tool to try to pull it off in the 21st Century.

Also, stop saying "New York Jewish" that is not the New York Jewish accent at all, I thought it was common knowledge what that sounded like.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

Gay accent.

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

He's wearing a retainer!

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

You have every right to be confused. That isn't an accent prevalent in any American region. Like others have said, it sounds slightly snobbish, slightly gay, incredibly grating.

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

Wow, everybody got it right, but R6 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

His accent reminds me of that of an Irish friend of mine who has been living here in the States for many years.

I just googled Mr. Solomon and found this:

[quote]Solomon attended the Horace Mann School, graduating cum laude in 1981.[11] He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Yale University in 1985, graduating magna cum laude,[12] and later earned a Master's degree in English at Jesus College, Cambridge. He is currently pursuing a Ph.D. in psychology, at Jesus College, Cambridge...

Wait. It gets better:

[quote]Born and raised in New York City, as an adult Solomon became a dual citizen of the United States and the United Kingdom. [bold]He and journalist John Habich were joined in an official civil partnership ceremony on June 30, 2007, at Althorp, the Spencer family estate and childhood home of Diana, Princess of Wales.[/bold]

Lady Di's childhood home? Well his credibility just went flying out the window!

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

I said "Manhattan Jewish" meaning a Jewish guy from Manhattan. I know what the "New York Jewish accent " is and if your read closely, I never mentioned it.

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

I'm not American either, but that accent sounds so affected and pretentious. He sounds like the kind of person who would wear a red, polkadot bow tie and a waistcoat.

by Anonymousreply 1601/05/2013

He lives in NY and the UK. It's a softened version of the affected US/UK blend that Madonna affected. It's pretentious but happens to some Americans who spend a lot of time in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 1701/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!