Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Moral Dilemma

I already know the right answer to my problem, but I'm curious about whether or not this situation is too good to be true:

I just finished a horrendous semester where I decided to take 3 classes toward my master's. I earned a B in one course and an A in another; however, I was so stressed between work and school that I asked the professor of the third class if she could give me an incomplete. She agreed, telling me that if I completed the 3 assignments I didn't submit, she'd grade them on their merit (no penalty) and replace the incomplete.

A few days ago I was checking my transcript and I noticed that an A had been posted for the class I didn't complete. Still, I figured it was just a placeholder grade since my GPA only reflected the average of an A and a B. Fast forward to today: My GPAs for the semester AND cumulative both factor in 2 As and a B! I'm afraid to say anything to the instructor, but I also don't want my degree to be tainted. Ugh, I'm stressed to the point that getting out of writing 3 papers is an attractive offer...but I'm afraid of the consequences if this glitch is revealed and I didn't say anything.

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

Accept the A and you shall spend your eternity grading papers of illiterate DLers who can't grasp the "its/it's" and "your/you're" grammatical concepts.

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2013

Young man, you march right back to that instructor and tell her the truth! Do you hear me?

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2013

Your diploma hanging on the wall will be your own personal Tell-Tale Heart.

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2013

I've never heard of a "placeholder" grade? Sounds as though the instructor was highly sympathetic when you explained why you need the incomplete, although THREE missing papers means you did (almost) no work? My bet is that this was a Random Act of Academic Kindness, done on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2013

Tell before the error is found. You'll only drive yourself crazy if you don't.

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2013

Pay your debt and submit the assignments.

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2013

How would this be considered a moral dilemma? Tell the truth.

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2013

It's your Kobayashi Maru, OP. Choose carefully.

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2013

OP, this is a test. Finish the papers as you promised. Don't procrastinate. Do them with purpose and dispatch ASAP. The longer you drag it out the harder it will seem. Just do it.

Don't even mention the grade to her. Turn the papers in, and if she asks you why your giving her the papers,remind her of your conversation. Don't dwell on it or anything, just say, "I owe you these and I'm sorry for the delay. I appreciate your patience."

If she says "hey, no problem I already gave you a grade," play dumb, tell her you've been away, or sick, or taking care of you old granny,or superbusy, or having mental problems or health issues or whatever, and say "thank you so much for being so understandning! "

If you don't do your papers, and she realizes you didn't or suddenly remembers you told her you would, she could screw you up in other ways. You should do what you said you would do and fulfill your requirements. It matters.

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

R9 is correct, except for paragraph three.

If she says "hey, no problem, I already gave you a grade," reply "I know, but I still needed to write the papers." Only a pathological liar would need to lie about it and such a lie is ridiculously easy to see through.

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2013

She either made a mistake or gave you a placeholder grade--I've done both. Turn in the papers you owe and you'll all feel better about it.

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2013

R9 is the correct response.

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2013

R10 is the correct response.

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!