Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ethel Mertz, AKA Vivian Vance

Without Ethel, there is no Lucy. Here's a salute to the great second banana in sitcomland.

Ethel Mae Potter, we never forgot her!

My favorite Ethel moment: Lily of the Valley.

by Anonymousreply 4301/07/2013

How come nobody ever starts threads on Shirley Booth as "Hazel"?

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2013

Has anyone ever figured out why she had different middle names?

Ethel Mae Potter (we never forgot her!) Come, Ethel Roberta (the Aunt Martha's episode) Ethel Louise Mertz! (the "same dress"/"Friendship" episode

And how is she related to the LuEsther T. Mertz Foundation?

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2013

I agree, OP! We miss you, Viv. Another victim of cancer...

26 July 1915 - 17 Aug 1979

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2013

Hostess pants!

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2013

My favorite Vivian Vance moment is when Lucy is hanging off the balcony, trying to come down from Cornel Wilde's apartment upstairs. She is dangling outside when Ricky walks in. The entire scene is Vivian Vance at her brilliant best.

"Rick, would you like to hear about a new cake recipe I found?"

"Well, bye. I gotta pick up a friend."

Gut busting funny

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2013

I like when she eats her food with gusto. Mmmm

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2013

"I'm getting a little tired of being called a cow!"

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2013

Love that scene, r5. Another line, when Ricky asks where Lucy is - "Oh, she's hanging around the hotel somewhere!"

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2013

I wanted a toaster!

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

Sometimes I sing "My Hero" from "The Chocolate Soldier", followed by "Short'nin Bread"!

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2013

[quote]How come nobody ever starts threads on Shirley Booth as "Hazel"?

Devote the next six hours to watching episodes of HAZEL then come back and ask that question again.

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2013

"Without Ethel, there is no Lucy" is a bit of a stretch. But yea VV was great in the role.

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2013

Without Ethel, Lucy is just a crazy stupid bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2013

VV was crucial to Lucy's success. Plus, Vivian Vance is a bad ass name.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2013

You stop jabbering and keep your mind on the game! You talk so much you don't know what cards have been played!

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2013

It bugged me that she was forced to weigh more than Lucy. Sometimes it was obvious that Lucy was heavier but Vivian was still considered the fat one.

Also, you had ugly old, fat, bald, Fred and the fucker had the nerve to call Ethel fat.

When I was a kid watching them, they all seemed a little fat to me.

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2013

I've always loved when Lucy said something like "You're my friend"

Ethel said: "With friends like you, who needs enemies?

I've used that over and over through the years.

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2013

"I'm getting a little tired of being called a cow!"

The disgusted way in which she delivers that line never fails to crack me up. She says it in answer to Lucy's equally disgusted comment: "you sound like a cow trying to pull its foot out of the mud!"

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2013

There is a wonderful documentary called "Finding Lucy" that has been on PBS in the past several years. The commentary is excellent. There is one part where they show a montage of the Ricardos and Mertzes in crazy moments, some "wacky," some tender, and the narrator says something to the effect of "and through the alchemy of television they became a family, they became OUR family..." or something very similar. It always makes me cry. America fell head over heels in love with Vivian and William and Lucy and Desi. They worked very hard to bring us that joy. The documentary explains the toll that show took on the stars, themselves. Vivian was in therapy for the run of the show. The strain of running Desilu contributed to the demise of the Arnaz/Ball marriage, the very thing I Love Lucy was supposed to STRENGTHEN. But the sheer genius, the eternal laughter (who doesn't STILL laugh at Lucy's antics?) that has gone on now for sixty years, that "alchemy," the lightning in a bottle that made I Love Lucy the first and perhaps STILL the best sitcom of all time (with room for lots of argument, of course) is simply amazing. Vivian Vance is the fourth wheel on that vehicle. The show would not have been the same without her.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2013

WF was just reading his lines R16. Fred was cool. His weight worked for the character.

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2013

"Would you like some Rock mister candy ?"

Ethel, eating a box of chocolates ( with Lucy) , by the pool in Palm Springs, as she meets the (at his prime) Rock Hudson

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2013

"Well that was a subtle performance."

Ethel, after Lucy calls MGM from Don Loper's salon phone and talks really loud so Loper and Shelia MacCrae will overhear her.

by Anonymousreply 2201/04/2013

What's up with all these old lady television star threads these days? Did one of you find an old stack of TV Guides at Goodwill?

by Anonymousreply 2301/04/2013

Ethel to Tilly, Ethel to Tilly. Come in, Tilly.

by Anonymousreply 2401/04/2013

The whole Connecticut brunch thing with Lucy and Ethel and Betty Ramsey is hysterical. Ethel gets to say the best lines:

"Some of us haven't been to a party since we were little girls!"

"Yes, the shells."

And the one that never fails to crack me up:

"I have sufficient!"

Mustn't forget Lucy being left out from their mutual admiration society after finding out they were both from Albuquerque.

"Betty Foster" "Ethel Potter"

Betty: "Lucy!"

Lucy (startled): "What?"

"Why don't you get Ethel and I another cup of coffee?"

by Anonymousreply 2501/04/2013

r25, I remember that but wasn't that a bit of time problem? Wasn't Betty supposed to be Lucy's age and Ethel about 25 years older?

by Anonymousreply 2601/04/2013

Does DL identify with Ethel because she was fat and homely and stuck in a loveless relationship? Is that why we've been having all these Ethel/Vivian threads?

by Anonymousreply 2701/04/2013

The oft quoted story of how VV was contractually obligated to remain overweight is a fiction. VV herself said that if Ethel was really fat Fred's barbs would come across as cruel rather than funny. The "contract" was a joke Lucy presented to VV.

by Anonymousreply 2801/05/2013

Ethel wasn't fat and homely. Vi Vance was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 2901/05/2013

Very attractive. Not much luck with men

by Anonymousreply 3001/05/2013

It's the razor sharp wit and cutting edge irony of R23 and R27 that keeps us coming back to DL! Doctor!! Goodwill!!

by Anonymousreply 3101/05/2013

Mary Jane Croft would disagree.

by Anonymousreply 3201/05/2013

Didn't we just do this topic, like a month ago?

by Anonymousreply 3301/05/2013

If Einstein can't handle a problem, you don't hand it to Mortimer Snerd!

by Anonymousreply 3401/05/2013

[quote]Didn't we just do this topic, like a month ago?

This is a new year. It's time we had a new thread. Vivian/Ethel is an evergreen on DL, same as Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 3501/06/2013

Totally agree, r35. If you're not interested skip it, r33. It's not like you can't read the topic.

by Anonymousreply 3601/06/2013

I love Vivian on The Lucy Show too. They played off each other so well, it's amazing to watch at times.

Lucy yelling VIV! in her 1960's smokey rasp kills me.

by Anonymousreply 3701/06/2013

She was absolutely unbelievable as a mother. She and Sherman never had any chemistry at all.

by Anonymousreply 3801/07/2013

Loved Ethel in the Charm School episode where she is all glammed up in a leopard print mermaid dress and gold arm band posed in the doorway. Third picture.

by Anonymousreply 3901/07/2013

There quite simply was no better "second banana" than Vivian Vance. Impeccable comic timing and oh, that delivery! Nobody could deliver a verbal barb better than Viv....and to be able to hold your own against a rather formidable Lucille Ball is no small feat. What a treasure she was.

by Anonymousreply 4001/07/2013

I agree, r40. Vivian's comic timing and line deliveries were flawless and she and Lucy complimented each other so well. After Vivian retired and left 'the Lucy Show,' Lucy was never the same or as funny. And 'Here's Lucy' is almost unwatchable today, except for a few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 4101/07/2013

"Oh I was wondering what to wear to all those smart dinner parties I give!"

by Anonymousreply 4201/07/2013

Lucy: It is wonderful to tell the truth. You should try it sometime. We'd all be much better friends.

Ethel: Somehow I doubt that...

by Anonymousreply 4301/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.