Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's official: "The Normal Heart" will be HBO TV-movie for 2014

Julia Roberts, Mark Ruffalo, Matt Bomer still attached. Ryan Murphy will (try) to direct.

by Anonymousreply 14610/15/2013

Julia Roberts? Wish he'd picked a different actress.

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2013

It looks like Matt and Mark will have larger roles than Julia.

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2013

R2... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Hag-worshiping Murphy will make this a movie about diva-saint Julia rescuing her poor gays.

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2013

Ryan Murphy has never impressed as a director. At least Mark Ruffalo will be good. But why not Ellen Barkin instead of Julia Roberts? And Ken doll Bomer as Felix Turner? He's okay doing light stuff, but hasn't got the chops for serious drama.

by Anonymousreply 401/05/2013

No theatrical release, huh?

by Anonymousreply 501/05/2013

"He's okay doing light stuff, but hasn't got the chops for serious drama."

Bomer graduated from Carnegie Mellon University. Carnegie . One of the best School of Drama in America. He comes from the theater drama

by Anonymousreply 601/05/2013

He majored in musical theater.

by Anonymousreply 701/05/2013

Gradueted in Drama e majored in musical theater. Bomer was one of the best students of Carneige Drama. but you do not have the skills to serious drama. I can not do anything about it

by Anonymousreply 801/05/2013

...and fwiw Julia Roberts was attached to this project before Murphy. Streisand actually brought it to her attention.

IMO they should have just filmed the Joe Mantello-Ellen Barkin revival for "Great Performances" and called it a day.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2013

R6/8? Lay of the booze and rewrite your posts in English this time.

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

R8, can you has cheezburger?

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

Is Ryan Murphy the only damn gay director in Hollywood? So sick of him.

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

Bryan Singer, Gus Van Sant, Todd Haynes...

Not that only a gay director should make these films. Van Sant would be my pick for this though.

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

I actually think something like this would benefit from a straight director, who could make it more accessible to a wide audience. The main criticism about "The Normal Heart" is that it's too insular, which is why it has taken so long for anyone to agree to make it.

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

[quote] Bomer was one of the best students of Carneige Drama.

Only in your dreams. Bomer fans will pull anything out of their asses. CMU has a good program, but just because Bomer graduated isn't in of itself proof of anything.

[quote] I actually think something like this would benefit from a straight director, who could make it more accessible to a wide audience. The main criticism about "The Normal Heart" is that it's too insular, which is why it has taken so long for anyone to agree to make it.

You may have something there. Angels in America was directed by Mike Nichols, a straight director. Steven Soderbergh's Behind the Candelabra seems to have received a positive reception at the latest television critic's association tour.

The reason it took so long to make it into a movie may had have more to do with Larry Kramer himself than anything. And now time is running out for him and he's missed his chance for a theatrical release.

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

According to Kramer's constant rants, a theatrical release is the only kind of film he would accept - Streisand also at one point offered him an HBO deal and he said NO.

So either his contract with Murphy has more loopholes, or he is SPITTING MAD right now and threatening once again to pull the rights....

by Anonymousreply 1601/05/2013

Mike Nichols isn't straight.

by Anonymousreply 1701/05/2013

R 15. You're Troll crazy

by Anonymousreply 1801/05/2013

Philadelphia and Brokeback Mountain, the two most successful gay-themed movies of the 90's and 00's respectively, also had straight directors.

by Anonymousreply 1901/05/2013

Barbra's response from her website: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Correcting Larry Kramer – The Truth About Our Effort To Make The Normal Heart JUNE 28, 2012, 2:51 pm Larry Kramer does not need me to publicize his beautiful play. It stands on its own. For the last time – I will answer his complaints, which rewrite history. When I saw the play in 1985 I was very moved and immediately contacted Larry to acquire the rights. After going through several drafts with Larry, I hired another writer to develop a screenplay that was faithful to Larry’s play -- but adapting it to make it more cinematic. It was finished in 1995. Ralph Fiennes and Kenneth Branagh were interested in doing the version that I oversaw. I tried very hard to get it made, but when it became clear that we couldn’t raise the money to do it as a film due to the controversial nature of the material, I thought, all right, we’ll do it on TV. At least it would reach a wide audience. But even HBO would only pay Larry $250,000 for the rights, and he would not let it go forward for anything less than $1,000,000 and no company was willing to move on it. After ten years, the rights reverted back to Larry. But even when I had no contractual involvement, I still persisted in pressing to get The Normal Heart made, purely because I believed in the project. As producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron can confirm, I thought that if we could get a great cast together, maybe a studio would finally finance it and we could persuade Larry to let us do it. I offered the part of the doctor to Julia Roberts because I thought she would be terrific. I also asked Mark Ruffalo and Bradley Cooper to be in it, and they said yes to my adaptation of the screenplay. By the way, this is not to say that it wouldn’t have been rewritten again. The work is never done until the movie is released. I think it’s unfair to keep blaming me for the movie not getting made. I worked on it for 25 years, without pay. Larry had the rights for the last 15 years and he couldn’t get it made either. Those are the facts, and none of this is news to Larry. More recently, he sent me a note before giving the project to another director, asking me again if I wanted to direct it -- but only with his screenplay. As a filmmaker, I couldn’t have my hands tied like that. What if I needed changes? Sadly, I turned his offer down and wished him well. I will always believe in Larry’s play and its powerful theme about everyone’s right to love. © 2012 Barbra Streisand

by Anonymousreply 2001/05/2013

Julia Roberts for Streisand Julia Roberts for Ryan

by Anonymousreply 2101/05/2013

The last screenplay Larry wrote was Lost Horizon, 40 YEARS AGO.

by Anonymousreply 2201/05/2013

I think this project going to HBO says a lot about the movie industry right now, and, of course, the death of Julia Roberts once glorious movie career.

by Anonymousreply 2301/05/2013

Well, the big bucks go to and come from mainstream blockbuster movies. Nobody is willing to spend much money on a movie project that, according to latest polls, only appeals to 3.3% of the American population (not counting the gay community's friends and supporters).

This is partly about ego and treating the resource material properly and not turn it through the torrid Hollywood washing mangle where all is mainstreamed and then comes with a nice ribbon on top of it

by Anonymousreply 2401/05/2013

Julia Robert's career is ovah! We just need to wait for those in power to get the memo that the public is done with her. It's coming. You'll see. She's no Streep.

by Anonymousreply 2501/05/2013

It is unfortunate that it took so long but good that it will finally be made. My take on Julia Roberts is that she never was a good actress, but she had charisma and became the biggest female movie star since Streisand. When Julia left the mainstream, she let Sandra Bullock take roles that ended up being major hits. Now Julia is 45 and seems bitchy and unrelatable. Maybe she will turn in a good performance, but I don't think she has a lot of talent.

by Anonymousreply 2601/05/2013

What's wrong with going with HBO. Meryl had no problem working with them. Neither did Pacino. Shall I go on?

Nobody wants to be straitjacketed these days. If a company like HBO will give you artistic freedom then why not.

by Anonymousreply 2701/05/2013

I find this play as shrill and annoying as Kramer himself.

by Anonymousreply 2801/05/2013

Although I am not a fan of much Streisand, I think her public clarification sounds accurate and consistent with other things she has said over the evolution of this project.

Larry Kramer would not accept what HBO would pay and Kramer nor Streisand could raise the money for a studio release. I think Kramer made a big and stubborn mistake. Repeatedly.

HBO with a good director would have been a better fit, and allowed for better casting. It also would have reached a larger audience than any film with Julia Roberts, directed by Ryan Murphy will in 2014, or whenever.

Julia Roberts has more talent than she is given credit for, but not enough good will.

Streisand is nothing if not tenacious and I am sure that though of course she wanted this part for herself back when, even she realizes that this film will not likely draw many in now. She doesn't want to direct it, I am sure.

Worst is how we will be subjected to all of the Julia Roberts press and appearances regarding her tackling such a "difficult" role. YUK. And the Ryan Murphy is a wonderboy crap. YUK.

It's too bad, but there are sadder tales of films never made because of the egos involved, or produced diluted by the timing and casting.

by Anonymousreply 2901/05/2013

[quote] Mike Nichols isn't straight.

R17 Must be why Nichols keeps getting married to women. They're all beards.

R18 Thanks for the reminder. Ang Lee also made the gay-themed The Wedding Banquet in 1993 even before Brokeback Mountain.

Barbra Streisand tried her hardest to get The Normal Heart made as a movie. She understood the reality of trying to get a movie about such a controversial subject made. Kramer refused to accept that back then and now The Normal Heart will be an HBO production after all as Barbra suggested years ago. I think Barbra will have too much class to publicly rub Kramer's face in it. As I noted before, Kramer is running out of time. At his age, if he rejects the HBO production the odds are it will never get made in his lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 3001/05/2013

Streisand was smart enough to play this low key. Especially after Kramer's disgusting tactic of outing Jason as having HIV. She's given a reasonable and complimentary reply, making Kramer's volatile hostility all the more glaring.

Why couldn't they get Ellen Barkin instead of Julia Roberts? She won the Tony for the role!

by Anonymousreply 3101/05/2013

This is part of my comeback strategy! Look for me with Meryl Streep in theatres later this year!

by Anonymousreply 3201/05/2013

Did the op of that other normal heart thread REALLY think he was posting it first on a Saturday night?

by Anonymousreply 3301/05/2013

After the total shitstorm that Ryan made out of EAT PRAY LOVE, I am shocked that Julia would want to work with him again. But after the total shitstorm that Ryan made out of EAT PRAY LOVE, I am NOT surprised that no major studio would want to work with him again.

by Anonymousreply 3401/06/2013

I don't get Ryan Murphy. He seems clever but does not have taste or substance. Jessica Lange singing The Name Game in a loony bin? Who thinks of shit like that, unless it's a cheap ploy to draw gawkers? Julia Roberts is a world class bitch. It's too bad that she will not go away.

by Anonymousreply 3501/06/2013

Major fuck. HBO great

TCA: Stephen Soderbergh says that Behind the Candelabra is being released on HBO Michael Douglas because every studio he took it to said it was "too gay." He only wanted $5 million to make a movie with Michael Douglas and Matt Damon , and couldn't get it. "They said it was too gay. Everybody. This was after Brokeback Mountain , by the way. Which is not as funny as this movie. I was stunned. It made no sense to any of us. Studios were going, 'We don't know how to sell it.' They were scared." .................

The Normal Heart will instead be an HBO television production, with a budget in the neighborhood of $15 million dollars. I don't know the budget's movie Soderberg

by Anonymousreply 3601/06/2013

R27 There's nothing wrong with HBO. It's that asshole Larry Kramer who has issues with HBO. Barbra Streisand suggested they take the movie there years ago when she couldn't get the studios to finance it, but he refused. Then last year he sent her this in an e-mail:

"You said you couldn’t get financing. [Ryan Murphy] has his financing. He said if he couldn’t get it, he’d finance it himself. (You chose to remodel and redecorate your houses.)"

As it turns out Ryan Murphy couldn't get financing either and he also had to turn HBO as Barbra suggested long ago.

by Anonymousreply 3701/06/2013

[quote]Then last year he sent her this in an e-mail:

[quote]"You said you couldn’t get financing. [Ryan Murphy] has his financing. He said if he couldn’t get it, he’d finance it himself. (You chose to remodel and redecorate your houses.)"

Why the fuck should she finance his movie rather than spend money on her houses? It's her money, not his.

by Anonymousreply 3801/06/2013

Matt Bomer talked about TNH in interview with Da Man magazine

[quote]Getting to be a part of The Normal Heart on HBO is a dream come true for me. I can’t think of a more beautiful, challenging role to get to play. In April, I go back to season 5 of White Collar. And then I film The Normal Heart, which is about the early days of the AIDS epidemic in New York and the people who were brave enough to risk their lives and careers to bring much needed attention to it. It’s a testament to passion and unconditional love.[/quote]

So it seams they will not start filming before fall, after White Collar filming is finished. Which makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 3902/01/2013

For years, I have heard of this play but never saw it. I have never heard of it being staged anywhere I hapened to be.

Was it a play seen by many, or read by many?

by Anonymousreply 4002/02/2013

in it's day it was popular and has had a bit of a resurgence in the last year after a bway revival...it is very much a play of its time though....and very much the world according to Larry Kramer.

by Anonymousreply 4102/02/2013

[quote]Ralph Fiennes and Kenneth Branagh

as the jewish Krameresque guy.....boy Barbra really loves the goyem.

by Anonymousreply 4202/02/2013

It shoots in NYC for 5 weeks starting in May.

by Anonymousreply 4302/02/2013

AS IS

by Wm. M. HofFman

Truer

by Anonymousreply 4402/02/2013

Bill Hoffman's AS IS is finer work.

by Anonymousreply 4502/02/2013

AS IS is a terrible and dull play, but THE NORMAL HEART is also pretty weak: sentimental, self-righteous, self-important.

by Anonymousreply 4602/02/2013

R43 Then I don't get it how Bomer can film it during that time. If he starts shooting White collar in April, there is no way he can do TNH in May. I don't believe that Fox/USA would agree to give him 5 weeks to film another project in the middle of the WC filming. They will not break production for 5 weeks. And they will not write him off from about 3 episodes so he can do something else in this time. He plays a lead in that series.

Something is off. Either they don't shoot in May, or if they do, they will film Bomer's scene later, or Bomer is not a part of TNH anymore. After all that DaMan interview was taken about two months ago or something like that. A lot could change since then.

by Anonymousreply 4702/02/2013

Jim Parsons and Taylor Kitsch (!!!!!???????) to play Tommy and Bruce, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 4803/01/2013

HBO is a win. Look at "Angels in America."

Millions more people will see it.

by Anonymousreply 4903/01/2013

All I care is Beauty (Bomer) and the Beast (Hulk).

by Anonymousreply 5003/01/2013

Where did you get your info about when it's shooting, R43?

Also, I think this is shooting in more than one session anyway. Ryan Murphy said in an interview a while back that Bomer's scenes will be shot in two lots: his 'before illness' scenes, then a break while he loses weight for his 'after illness' scenes. So he could be shooting a limited amount of 'before illness' scenes during May (ish), which "White Collar" filming will work around. And then, in the fall, after WC S5 has wrapped, and he's had time to lose the weight, he could then shoot his 'after illness' scenes. Presumably if those have to be shot separately, it doesn't really matter if there's a gap of several months before they are filmed. I haven't seen the play - anyone know how many scenes Matt would be in looking 'well'?

by Anonymousreply 5103/02/2013

The movie is not shooting in May.

by Anonymousreply 5203/02/2013

R52 When is it shooting?

by Anonymousreply 5303/12/2013

Movie will shoot in June and July, and Bomer will shoot his AIDS scenes in the fall after WC ends, presumedly.

Good chance next season of WC will be its last, rating for season finale was 0.6. By comparison, the SVU repeat that aired in its time slot this week got a 0.7.

by Anonymousreply 5403/15/2013

W link

by Anonymousreply 5503/15/2013

Joe Mantello is playing the brother-nice gesture on Ryan's part.

by Anonymousreply 5604/05/2013

R54, you obviously don't understand how shooting schedules work. Bomer will obviously have to juggle work on both White Collar and The Normal Heart. TNH can't come back in the fall just to shoot Bomer's scenes. That ain't happening.

by Anonymousreply 5704/07/2013

r57, r54 is not wrong. What r54 is saying was also laid out in the NY Post article linked in r55:

[quote]He’ll film from June to July then break to allow his actors to lose weight, including muscle-bound Bomer who will dramatically drop 35 pounds for his role.

Other articles have said that this break will be until fall, when filming will resume.

So yes, Bomer's "AIDS scenes" will be shot in the fall, after he's lost weight, which will almost certainly happen after White Collar has finished filming. (Or else WC will have to come up with a reason for the lead to suddenly drop a large amount of weight.)

They've said from the very beginning that they're planning a split shooting schedule, but people still refuse to accept it. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 5804/07/2013

Murphy will do a much better job directing it than Streisand would have. Under her direction, it would've been a soft-focus Lifetime movie.

by Anonymousreply 5904/07/2013

Joe Mantello isn't playing Ned, but he is in it. He's playing Mickey Marcus.

by Anonymousreply 6004/07/2013

Bomer is gonna lose 35 lbs? He's already bone thin. He's a gorgeous guy but in that episode of New Normal he looked very thin.

by Anonymousreply 6104/07/2013

R57 Of course that TNH will have to stop filming to give Bomer time to loose weight. How else could it be done? He can't loose that much weight in just a week or so. And it's nothing strange. It happened before with other movies in which actors had to loose a lot of weight, e.g. Hunger with Michael Fassender. The production stopped for more than 2 months, so he could loose 30 lbs, or something like that.

Also supposedly White Collar has always 2 weeks break in filming around June. Bomer could film his "healthy" scenes during that time.

by Anonymousreply 6204/10/2013

Jim Parsons talked about TNH recently. Here is what he said:

“We’re going to start shooting it this summer,” revealed Parsons of the HBO project. “It will have very different cast members, although I will be playing Tommy [Boatwright] again.” The actor also revealed that while Joe Mantello, who helmed the 2011 Broadway production, will be in the film, he will not be directing.

He also revealed that the HBO movie will be the full play, and that the story will be more fleshed out. Larry also rewrote some parts, but it is still the same general story.

by Anonymousreply 6304/26/2013

[quote]give Bomer time to loose weight.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6404/26/2013

LOSE isn't the same as LOOSE.

Get it?

by Anonymousreply 6504/26/2013

R65 Yes, I get it. Thank you. I'm still learning English and I know it's not perfect. So I appreciate any help I can get.

BTW may I ask how many foreign languages do you speak? Because I speak 3. Maybe not perfectly, but something tells me it's still more than you can speak. Am I right?

LOL

by Anonymousreply 6604/26/2013

jesus...how many movies can Ryan Murphy fuck up before he stops? RUNNING WITH SCISSORS? Ruined. EAT PRAY LOVE? Ruined.

He's like a serial killer armed with a camera.

by Anonymousreply 6704/26/2013

Bomer will lose his nice thick bubbel butt!

by Anonymousreply 6804/26/2013

R67 I'm afraid he is unstoppable. I'm going to watch this movie, but only for actors, mainly Bomer and Ruffalo. Actually, it will be interesting to see how they will try to save that disaster with their acting skills. Because I really don't expect anything good from Murphy's directing or Kramer's screenwriting.

by Anonymousreply 6904/26/2013

R68 The horror!

by Anonymousreply 7004/26/2013

I'm imagining R68 in the voice of Nasim Pedrad as Arianna Huffington.

by Anonymousreply 7104/26/2013

It will be a trainwreck but I will watch it for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 7204/26/2013

Jonathan Groff just joined the cast.

by Anonymousreply 7304/26/2013

From John Benjamin Hickey interview:

TBL: When we talked earlier this year, you said you didn’t know if you’d be a part of The Normal Heart film. Any change in that?

JBH: No. I’ve heard that I’m going to be in a different part that I played. Matt Bomer is playing the part I played in New York. He’s a phenomenal choice for it. That’s a great casting. He and Mark Ruffalo, I just think that’s a brilliant pair for those parts of the movie. But I’ve been told that I’m going to be part of it, it’s not official but I would love to be because God knows I love the material, I love Larry [Kramer], I think they’ve gotten a great cast together and it would be great to revisit it from a different perspective.

I’ve also built a relationship with Ryan Murphy because I’ve been doing The New Normal. I just loved him. I love Ryan’s sensibility…talk about somebody who thinks kind of outside the box. I think Ryan’s a really big risk taker and is kind of fearless that way and I think that’s what this as a movie needs.

by Anonymousreply 7404/29/2013

Such an ass kisser, that JBH.

by Anonymousreply 7504/29/2013

Joel Grey and Alfred Molina added to the cast according to Broadway.com.

[quote]The HBO film adaptation of Larry Kramer’s The Normal Heart will boast quite a roster of stage and screen stars. The latest additions to the all-star cast are three-time Tony nominee Alfred Molina and Tony and Oscar winner Joel Grey, who co-directed the show's Broadway revival. No word yet on which roles Molina and Grey will take on in the movie, directed by Glee and American Horror Story creator Ryan Murphy. Broadway.com spoke with Kramer, who also serves as the movie’s screenwriter, to get his perspective on how the stage-to-screen adaptation is going. “Ryan Murphy is just so obsessively obsessed with it,” Kramer said. “It’s so exciting—we have Julia Roberts; we have Mark Ruffalo and Jim Parsons; we have Alfred Molina, and we now have Joel Grey. It’s just going to be brilliant." This is a big year for Kramer: in addition to the movie, the scribe will be recognized at the 67th Annual Tony Awards with the Isabelle Stevenson Award for his substantial contributions to the theater community. Joining Grey and Molina in the HBO film are Roberts as Dr. Emma Brookner, Ruffalo as Ned Weeks, Parsons (who co-starred in the 2011 Broadway production) as Tommy Boatwright, Orphans star Alec Baldwin as Ben Weeks, Taylor Kitsch as Bruce Niles, Jonathan Groff as Bruce's HIV-positive lover Greg, and Joe Mantello (who nabbed a Tony nomination for his portrayal of Ned Weeks in The Normal Heart on Broadway) as Mickey Marcus. The Normal Heart is Kramer's groundbreaking portrayal of the HIV/AIDS crisis in New York City in the early 1980s. It premiered off-Broadway at the Public Theater in 1985, and received a Best Revival Tony Award in 2011 for its first-ever Broadway production.

by Anonymousreply 7605/10/2013

[quote] Kramer said. “It’s so exciting—we have Julia Roberts; we have Mark Ruffalo and Jim Parsons; we have Alfred Molina, and we now have Joel Grey. It’s just going to be brilliant."

Not one mention of Bomer in that piece.

by Anonymousreply 7705/10/2013

R78 Yep, pretty sad. They listed literally all actors that are currently cast, he is the only one not mentioned. He should change his PR. And his agent as well. Probably also manager. But PR and agent for sure.

by Anonymousreply 7805/10/2013

[quote]PLAYWRIGHT Larry Kramer says actor star Alec Baldwin will NOT be in his movie of "The Normal Heart," as planned. Kramer said, "He is being replaced by someone mightier! Sit tight!" Larry is working with and raving about director Ryan Murphy on "Normal Heart" and ideas for HBO. He says Ryan is better than anyone he has worked with in the past. (Well, this is theater; such things are subject to change.) Larry's final verdict? "HBO is the place to go today. The studios were yesterday and God bless their ashes; they deserve to be buried."

by Anonymousreply 7905/16/2013

I am on the edge of my toes for this train wreck. Between Larry Kramer and Ryan Murphy's unchecked God complexes and, frankly, sociopathic lack of self-awareness, this is going to end up looking like the parody death penalty film at the end of "The Player." Which coincidentally also "starred" Julia Roberts.

As for Broadway.com's omission of Bomer's participation, they did it on purpose. The knives are going to come out for him when "The Normal Heart" is released, and they are going to come from gay journalists.

by Anonymousreply 8005/16/2013

Jim Parsons is too queeny to play Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 8205/16/2013

For me Jim Parsons in TNH looked just like a calmed down, less exaggerated and less over the top version of his character from The Big Bang Theory. I didn't see him as a different character, I still could see that it's the same actor playing both characters using even similar voice intonations.

by Anonymousreply 8305/16/2013

Have you actually the read the play, R83? Tommy Boatwright IS queenie. He's also the surprising moral center of the entire play. And Parsons did a fantastic job on stage (and agreed with R82, he was the featured actor standout. I don't know what JBH was doing in the second act with that voice.)

by Anonymousreply 8405/16/2013

Anything with Mark in it has my interest. Julia not so much.

by Anonymousreply 8505/16/2013

Who's going to play the morbidly obese woman? It's Ryan Muphy so you know there will be one.

by Anonymousreply 8605/16/2013

[quote]As for Broadway.com's omission of Bomer's participation, they did it on purpose. The knives are going to come out for him when "The Normal Heart" is released, and they are going to come from gay journalists.

Er, why, R81? And FWIW, when I read it and saw Bomer's name missing, my assumption was that the writer was ridiculously out of touch, and hadn't realised that Bomer is a 'name' now. That might not have been the intent, but that's how it came across to me - ignorance rather than a 'clever' exclusion of Bomer. If the journo queens want to go the bitchy route re. Bomer in TNH they're just going to end up making themselves look stupid. But I guess that'll be nothing new for them.

by Anonymousreply 8705/16/2013

How strange to take a supporting part in the film version of a stage piece in which you played the lead.

by Anonymousreply 8805/16/2013

[quote]I am on the edge of my toes for this train wreck.

At least YOU'RE not writing it.

by Anonymousreply 8905/16/2013

R88, most people whose brains touch the top of their spinal chords are well aware of what Bomer did to get cast in "White Collar." It's only a matter of time before somebody says it out loud in print. And believe me, it will come from the gay press. And it will be ugly.

Get ready for the Bömerdämmerung.

by Anonymousreply 9005/16/2013

No one but queers will actually watch but keep bitching. Gays are our own worse enemy.

by Anonymousreply 9105/16/2013

Luke Macfarlane should have been cast as Felix. He was fantastic in the production of The Normal Heart in DC.

by Anonymousreply 9205/16/2013

I agree with R93. MacFarlane was actually the best thing about the D.C. production. And, damn, is he a hot man. The worst? Patricia Wettig in a wheelchair. Her Dr. Emma Brookner was just plain bad.

by Anonymousreply 9305/16/2013

[quote] Larry is working with and raving about director Ryan Murphy on "Normal Heart" and ideas for HBO. He says Ryan is better than anyone he has worked with in the past.

That is such an obvious jab at Barbra Streisand. He keeps saying things like this to hurt Barbra. Larry needs to move on.

by Anonymousreply 9405/16/2013

Please, Larry Kramer is the posterboy for Histrionic Personality Disorder. AIDS was just an excuse for him to say EVERYONE LOOK AT ME!!! Didn't he even eventually admit he got infected on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 9505/16/2013

FYI, the warning: R81 / R91 is a troll, very well known in all Bomer's thread. She is completely obsessed with him and created a lot of crazy theories about him, inluding that he is straight and only pretends to be gay to advance his carrer (no, I have no idea how it is supposed to work), supposedly he even keeps a secret wife, that his partner is psychopath and a few others. It seems she decided to invade just another thread. Please ignore the throll and not let her spread the disease. We've had enough of it in Bomer's threads already. Unless you want her to turn yet another thread to complete crazy fest.

As for Larry Kramer his jab at Barbra is obviously obvious. Not to mention his praise for HBO. Just one year ago, when he still believed that this will be a feature movie, he was talking completely different. Now, when it turned out to be impossible, he is suddenly singing praises for HBO. That man is really special.

by Anonymousreply 9605/16/2013

Also his rude remark about Alec Baldwin. OK, maybe the actor who replaced him is indeed more "mighty", but you don't say something like that in an interview. That's insulting. He probably got personally offended that Baldwin dared to not accept a role in his movie (and for all we know it could be because of conflicting schedule).

I guess Larry added Baldwin to the ever growing list of his personal enemies, just after Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 9705/16/2013

God, Larry Kramer is just insufferable. Does that little bitch have any friends?

by Anonymousreply 9805/16/2013

R99 Yes, his friend's name is Ryan Murphy. Although I wonder what would happen if TNH movie turned out to be a total crap (and we know it's entirely possible with Murphy directing and Kramer writing script) and had terrible reviews. I guess Larry will start hating Murphy even more than he is hating Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 9905/16/2013

R97 Hi Simon! No, I'm not the person who said Bomer is straight and has a secret wife, but you know that. You also know I'm not a woman. I am the person who said that you are a psychopath though! Do you like my new Tumblr?

Tell me Simon, how did the pitch for "How Gay is Superman" get off the ground? Did you use Bomer's sob story like you did on Jodie Foster?

by Anonymousreply 10005/16/2013

Larry lived at Streisand's house for months while she took care of him and he worked on the script. Can you imagine Larry Kramer living in your house for months on end?

by Anonymousreply 10105/16/2013

[quote]At least Mark Ruffalo will be good.

*snort* Ruffalo will be Ruffalo...a dishevelled douche which is what he always plays.

by Anonymousreply 10205/16/2013

I'm hoping that this is better than the supremely overrated Broadway revival in which half the cast were acclaimed for shouting every single line and the other half - brilliant performances from Patrick Breen and Jim Parsons in particular - were virtually ignored for failing to live up to the histrionics.

by Anonymousreply 10305/16/2013

We think alike r104!!!

by Anonymousreply 10405/16/2013

The stupid troll from R81, R91 and R101 is actually that douchebag Bret Easton Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 10505/16/2013

Speaking of Bret Easton Ellis, did you see this, Simon? 119 "likes"!

by Anonymousreply 10605/16/2013

It begins shooting today (Sunday).

I wish it Godspeed.

by Anonymousreply 10706/09/2013

*hump*

by Anonymousreply 10806/28/2013

Yes it's true R107 GLAAD is silly, ultra PC, and into censorship to the extreme.

Meanwhile they give their silly awards to shows that are full of LGBT stereotypes like Glee, Will and Grace, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10906/28/2013

stereotypes are there for a reason. back off

by Anonymousreply 11006/28/2013

A friend of mine was an extra in a bath house scene that was shot on Tuesday and Bomer (playing Felix) cruised him. All Bomer had on was a towel-my friend was only wearing a jock strap. Jealous, bitches?

Bomer ended up having simulated sex with a hot dude played by an apparently straight guy who's a bartender at a gay establishment in NYC called Boxers. My friend said his name was Brandon.

by Anonymousreply 11107/17/2013

[quote]Bomer ended up having simulated sex with a hot dude played by an apparently straight guy

Ahem, formally straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 11207/17/2013

Poor Bomer. Once he thought he was going to be Superman. Now the only work he can get is doing mock anal for TV-movie.

by Anonymousreply 11307/17/2013

Murphy's Normal Heart is going to be X-rated.

by Anonymousreply 11407/17/2013

Murphy's Easter Egg Hunt is X-rated.

by Anonymousreply 11507/17/2013

R113 Better doing TV movies than cravenly hiding in the closet, Henry.

by Anonymousreply 11607/17/2013

Do you reallllllllllly want to go there, R116?

by Anonymousreply 11707/17/2013

[bold]TV-movie[/bold]

I'm guessing it won't be that good...

by Anonymousreply 11807/17/2013

[quote]Can you imagine Larry Kramer living in your house for months on end?

Gosh, it reminds me of that poor woman who wrote- and rather haplessly starred in- that off-Broadway show about how an ailing post-stroke Bette Davis moved into her Connecticut home for a couple of months, uninvited. An amazing drag artist brilliantly played Davis, and even though the author as herself was a wooden non-actress, the whole evening, as told by the eye-witness, was very entertaining.

Larry Kramer living in my home, perfecting my alleged villainy for his future enemies list, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 11907/17/2013

[quote]Ahem, formally straight guy

So, casually gay?

by Anonymousreply 12107/17/2013

I assume Halls wasn't going to let any gay guys near the goods, even in simulation.

by Anonymousreply 12207/17/2013

[quote]Can you imagine Larry Kramer living in your house for months on end?

If you could build him his own wing with a street and matching shops, why not.

by Anonymousreply 12307/18/2013

I doubt Halls cares that much. I wouldn't be shocked if he had his own extracurriculars. Have you ever had sex with an Aspie? From the looks of their recent photos, neither has Halls as of late.

by Anonymousreply 12407/18/2013

oh, poor poor Matt Bomer.

by Anonymousreply 12507/18/2013

Larry came up with the idea of condoms? really?

by Anonymousreply 12907/18/2013

You obviously have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Larry was an early proponent of safer sex as it was being defined. Perhaps you have have heard about a little group called ACT UP, which he cofounded?

No? Perhaps the Gay Men's Health Crisis, which he cofounded from meetings in his living room, the events of which the fucking play is based upon?

But no, you've been to busy being a cum whore at the local highway rest stop.

by Anonymousreply 13107/18/2013

I guess everyone who expresses an opinion different from yours just gets attacked. You seem quite intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 13207/18/2013

I guess you live in a deluded world of your "opinions," devoid of historical fact, and when proven completely wrong, you still don't know when to shut up.

by Anonymousreply 13307/18/2013

so who's going to post a pic of this Brandon dude from Boxers? I hung out at Boxers HK this summer. Is he from that one or the Chelsea one?

by Anonymousreply 13407/18/2013

Is r69 the crazy troll who thinks Bomer concocted some evil "conspiracy" and that Simon Halls talks to him through datalounge postings?

by Anonymousreply 13607/18/2013

And by r69, I clearly meant r135.

by Anonymousreply 13707/18/2013

Hi Simon!

Since you're not reading this, I guess no one will report this to Tinypic again.

by Anonymousreply 13807/18/2013

So that would be a yes, then.

I realize that this asking a lot of a troll, but if you're going to derail threads with your delusional posts, can't you just stick to the Matt Bomer thread and stop clogging up this one?

TIA, darling!

by Anonymousreply 13907/18/2013

[quote]I guess everyone who expresses an opinion different from yours just gets attacked.

This is one of the stupidest posts in ages. r131 was stating fact--you're failure to differentiate between fact and opinion makes you sound like a FoxNews loon.

by Anonymousreply 14007/18/2013

Touché R121, formerly* straight. Glad to see DL hasn't lost its touch.

by Anonymousreply 14107/18/2013

"Let's see how long this one stays up."

Longer than our interest in your psychotic obsession.

by Anonymousreply 14307/18/2013

BeBe Gardner from PlanB

[quote]Also "The Normal Heart" for HBO, a long time coming. That's Ryan Murphy as well. We've shot the first period which was five weeks and then we had to shut down for various TV schedules, and then we're back in November for 7 days. I think it'll air next spring.

by Anonymousreply 14409/13/2013

They wrap filming just before Thanksgiving according to Bomer (from Kelly and Michael appearance).

by Anonymousreply 14510/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.