Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chihuahua mixes

I want to adopt a dog from our local shelter. Every single one is either a Chihuahua mix or a pit bull mix.

Are Chihuahua puppies super hyper? There was one 8-week-old guy who was very sweet, scared, calmed down when I held him. But I wonder if I'd get him home and he'd turn into a spaz once he got comfortable.

Anyone have experience with them?

by Anonymousreply 4901/06/2013

All puppies are spazzes. Get an older dog if spaziness is a problem for you.

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2013

The Cuban lady who lives next to me has 3. The yap non stop

If u want a calm, lap dog get a pug.

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2013

It depends on what they're mixed with OP. If they're mixed with another high strung breed then yes, they will be a handful.

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2013

r1 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2013

Why not google something like this? Better yet ask a vet.

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2013

A vet is just going to tell him that all puppies are spazzes.

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2013

Chihuahua's are the most hyperactive, nasty little shits evah!

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2013

Because I wanted your respected opinions, of course.

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2013

My sister had a Chihuahua / Lhasa Apso mix who was a really sweet little thing. I don't know if that's typical though

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

But a vet is a professional. Google has a ton of information. Adopting a dog is a big commitment. Do it right. The dog deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2013

They are high energy and very irritable. Expect constant barking.

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2013

Agree with R7. It's likely that whatever his other lineage might be, it's probably hyperactive, nasty little shit too.

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2013

Pitbulls are great mixes.

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2013

Chihuahuas bond with one person only, almost always hate children, and start fights with other dogs they are in no way prepared to finish.

On the nice side, they're loyal, smart, and portable.

They're very long-lived. Look for a nearly 20-year commitment. And they far outlive their attractiveness--they become homely little balls of stink after a handful of years.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2013

I think I'm going to continue my search. You're pretty much confirming my concerns.

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2013

Used to dogsit for a long-haired chihuahua, and he was a sweet little dog - yappy, of course, but not overly so, and extremely affectionate. He loved everyone, and was pals with every other dog in the neighborhood.

I am a cat person who never thought in a million years I'd ever find a chihuahua appealing, but he changed my mind about them.

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2013

[quote]Chihuahuas bond with one person only, almost always hate children, and start fights with other dogs they are in no way prepared to finish.

Do they post to Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2013

Chihuahua mixes are so fucking cute and sweet. If you give them enough exercise they won't spazz. Please don't get a dog and kept it locked up in a fucking crate all day long while you're at work.

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2013

Get a greyhound. Quiet, sweet-tempered, and non-fighters/barkers generally.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2013

R18, do you recommend drugging instead of crating, or do only non-working people get to have dogs in your little fantasy world?

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2013

The one on The Soup is very tranquil and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2013

I've known many sweet Chihuahuas that weren't barky. Although I love dogs, I am wary of pit bull and pit bull mixes. I know one who is very sweet, but also some others who would not want to be alone with.

You're very kind-hearted to want to adopt these breeds, which often end up in shelters. I've heard that black dogs and cats also have a tough time getting adopted. It's sad.

by Anonymousreply 2201/04/2013

Lots of shelters don't know how to classify breeds so they call a lot of dogs by the same breed even if they aren't.

by Anonymousreply 2301/04/2013

I had a pit bull/collie mix. It bit me until I started bleeding, then it ran for help.

by Anonymousreply 2401/04/2013

I have a Chihuahua/Schipperke mix. She's seven now and I got her from a rescue organization (she had been used as bait for dog fights) when she was just a few months old. She's not yappy at all and I love her like crazy. You have to commit to obedience training, just as you should with any dog, but I can't imagine life without her.

by Anonymousreply 2501/05/2013

get a chihuahua pitbull cross

by Anonymousreply 2601/05/2013

I agree with R2, although Pugs can be yappy too.

by Anonymousreply 2701/05/2013

My sister has two. I think they are the cutest things. I wouldn't want them but they're cute. Her dogs aren't yappy at all and love everyone. I find it's not so much that they're spazzy. More needy. If they are alone they calm down. If there are people in the room that they can get affection from they'll work it.

I prefer the calm, sweet, intelligent collie.

by Anonymousreply 2801/05/2013

Try to find a Shi Tzu/ Poodle mix, a Shitz-Poo.

by Anonymousreply 2901/05/2013

My partner and I have two chihuahuas from rescue organizations. The older one, male, is mixed with rat terrier. He is so neurotic, but sweet and lovable. The younger is part Applehead chihuahua. She's a tiny little thing, nothing bothers her. They will lick you to death and are happiest under a blanket on a lap on the sofa. They pee wherever they want though. That's a pain in the ass!

by Anonymousreply 3001/05/2013

A friend recently got a pom/chihuahua mix and it is adorably sweet. No problems yet but it is only two months old. Looks like that little fuzz ball that is making a lot of commercials now.

by Anonymousreply 3101/05/2013

Are chihuahua mixes like hamburger helper for Koreans?

by Anonymousreply 3201/05/2013

No mixes here -- I make them from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 3301/05/2013

If fits in a purse or a pocket, it's not a dog, it's an accessory.

by Anonymousreply 3401/05/2013

Gotta stick up for the chihuahuas here. A year and half ago, I adopted my now 3-year old chihuahua/Jack Russell terrier mix, Monty. Monty has been a wonderful dog -- sweet, loving, loyal, smart, loads of fun. He's great with kids -- little kids see him on the street and want to pet him. I let them, because he's very friendly and gentle. I live in a 1BR apartment and a chihuahua-size dog makes a good apartment dog.

It's absolutely not true that chihuahuas bond with one person only. I started seeing my bf in May and Monty absolutely adores him -- I'm a little jealous because I think Monty may love him more than me! The bf is a dog lover, but he's always been a big dog person. He says Monty is his favorite small dog ever.

I have two big pieces of advice for anyone contemplating getting a dog:

1. Don't get just one dog, get two -- especially if the dog is going to be left alone at home all day while you go out to work. One of the most basic things about dogs is that they want to be with other dogs. Canine companionship tends to ease destructive behaviors that sometimes arise because of separation anxieties. It doesn't cost that much more money to care for two dogs, and you can walk both of them at the same time. So please consider this option.

2. Another thing you should consider is adopting your dog from a no-kill shelter that lets you keep the dog for a trial period and then return the dog if things don't work out. The shelter I use allows this, and I've found it to be very helpful. They give you a two-week trial period during which they'll refund your money if you want to return the dog for any reason. After that, you can return the dog at any time for any reason, but they won't give you a refund.

This is a great policy because it gives you some time to get to know the dog and find out if he or she is right for you and your household. Not every dog is right for every person. If it's not working, you can return the dog, guilt-free -- since it's a no-kill shelter you know the dog will be cared for until another owner is found. To feel like you either have to keep a dog who's not working for you, or take the dog back to a shelter than euthanizes unadopted animals -- that's a heartbreaking decision no one should be forced to make.

This "trial period" adoption policy works especially well for me because I generally have two dogs, and I'm always concerned about whether the new dog will get along with the old one.

Good luck to the OP and to any other DLer who is looking to adopt a pet. I hope you find just the right animal for you!

by Anonymousreply 3501/05/2013

I too have a Chihuahua/Jack Russel mix who was a stray who wandered into our yard, no one claimed her so we adopted her and she is smart, sweet, even tempered and hardly ever barks,etc. This is from someone who HATED Chis before (family friend had a yappy, bitey one.) While she loves everyone I am the ONE she goes nuts for but that might be that I was the one to originally take care of her, etc (she LOVES my neighbor tho and think the little slut would love to live with him.) The weird thing is, if I am ever angry at my partner she gets pissed too(literally, she will piss on a floor rug by his bed..its odd, she can pick up on stuff like that.)

by Anonymousreply 3601/05/2013

I love my long-coated chihuahua. It's the only small dog I've owned. she's beautiful, generally calm and eager to learn. I got her a trainer from the day I got her and she went to puppy training classes with me.

I confess I take her almost everywhere i go. She's even been to the movies. She is very alert and the trainer and I have worked to make her not barky. She knows when something is amiss though and let's me know it.

I live in an apartment ith a balcony and she has a doggie door and a potty pad outside so if I do leave her she can relieve herself. The potty training was hard but it took a few months. Take up your carpets and train the dog immediately from the beginning. It's your resposibility to teach it where to go and it's an exhausting task and will last about a year.

She loves to be under the blanket and isn't terribly needing unless she's hungry. She does lots of little stunts like flips and rollovers. She even does the "bang your dead" thing. She loves other people and is great with other dogs and cats. And she likes kids too.

by Anonymousreply 3701/05/2013

r2 my rescue pugs are also hyper not calm. Very Barky too.

Just an FYI. My last pug who I got as a puppy was a sluggy lap dog after he hit the 3yo mark - before that hyper.

by Anonymousreply 3801/05/2013

"She even does the "bang your dead" thing"

I'm sure you love your dog, but teaching it tricks like this is just demeaning to the dog. Training it (obedience, potty training, etc.) is one thing, but pets shouldn't be circus performers.

by Anonymousreply 3901/05/2013

My sister has a lab/pitbull mix and she is the sweetest dog I've ever met. The only downside is that she thinks that she weighs about 10 lbs. and wants to sit in your lap all the time.

by Anonymousreply 4001/05/2013

Why won't you consider a pitt-mix, OP?

by Anonymousreply 4101/05/2013

I have two chihuahuas. It's true...they love to be under a blanket. They are true lap dogs.

by Anonymousreply 4201/05/2013

R39 my dog isn't a circus performer. She is trained. It's part of obedience training to make the dog perform tasks for rewards/treats. I didn't teach her to do a flip. She just did it one day. Now when I go to the treat cabinet she waits until I return with a treat and she flips. I think she adapted it from agility training which she enjoys.

Thanks to her training I know she is always going to be obedient and eager to follow my commands and thus be safe, out of harms' way.

When I say Bang she stops and falls flat. It's nothing more than teaching her to stop when I need her to do so.

Relax.

by Anonymousreply 4301/05/2013

Every one I've met has been mean and tried to bite. Other dogs have not, so it ain't me.

by Anonymousreply 4501/05/2013

Adopt an older dog whose owner has died.

by Anonymousreply 4601/05/2013

I had no idea you could make a chihuahua from a mix!

by Anonymousreply 4701/05/2013

My sister has a mini-Pinscher/Chi mix. Fun and feisty, but as more than a few posts mentioned above, will pee wherever she wants.

by Anonymousreply 4801/06/2013

[quote]I have two chihuahuas. It's true...they love to be under a blanket. They are true lap dogs.

Same here. :)

by Anonymousreply 4901/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.