Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Advocate: Senator Tammy Baldwin is Person of the Year!

Friday, January 4, 2013

Tammy Baldwin had just graduated from Smith College in 1984 as a double major in math and political science. The high school valedictorian and Madison, Wis., native had not yet secured a job, but she found an inspiration in Geraldine Ferraro, who that year became the first woman ever nominated for vice president on a major party’s ticket. “I remember watching the Democratic convention and her giving her speech and thinking to myself, I can aspire to anything. There’s no limits anymore,” she says.

Baldwin, who was sworn in Thursday as the first openly gay U.S. senator, says she hopes her own achievement will have a similar “ripple effect.” Speaking with The Advocate in her first interview of the new year, she notes that LGBT people have already told her, “This has changed me in some way,” when talking about her win.

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2013

An appropriate pick, not gonna argue with it. The first openly LGBT senator is a big effin deal. I do think Obama deserves an honorable mention do to his support for marriage equality. I really do think that altered the math for those ballot inniatives.

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2013

Lets hope she actually does something good. If she just sits there as a token figure, she won't change many minds.

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2013

Anderson loves it when women kneel at his feet and kiss his penis on cable tv. He's not PotY material.

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2013

YAY! Another rich, white, famous person who's really done NOTHING to better gay and lesbian humanity.... but it'll be really cool to have her at our fancy gala/dinner/awards ceremony!

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2013

Boy, the last several bitches who posted on this thread sure sound bitter.

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2013

Hey, guess what r7? Approx. 3% of the pop. will cop to being GLB. Hardly a sweeping mandate for change, much less approaching that mythical 10% figure. Why don't you work on coaxing a few out of the closet and into the streets instead of bitching?

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

R9/R5 = self loathing lesbian. Likely one with daddy issues.

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2013

So glad she is my senator!

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2013

If only Democrats in Wisconsin had gotten off their asses in November 2010 and voted for Russ Feingold, we would still have him in the Senate, too.

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2013

That is happening, 6.4% of 18-29 openly identify as such. More people are coming out of the closet, if you care and don't want to just oddly go off on nonsequitors.

Anyway, it is an appropriate pick. She has been a strong progressive fighter her entire career and it has great addition to the senate in addition to being a historic figure.

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2013

So, is she the first Senator since miscegenation laws were struck down who cannot marry the person of her choice (in her home state)?

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

I'm delighted to accept your award!

Oh wait... I thought you said Tammy CRUISE.

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

It's kind of sad, actually. She's crazier than a shithouse rat. She used to be one of my heroes but she behaved in a bizarre, dishonest and erratic way in 2008. Maybe she was the worse for substances, although she seemed to be lucid this last year.

by Anonymousreply 1601/06/2013

R16 = Tommy Thompson, bitter he lost

by Anonymousreply 1701/06/2013

R17 = Bitter, man-loathing frau who never got quite enough kisses from daddy.

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!