Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sitcom Inconsistences

Ethel Mertz in several episodes of I love Lucy plays the piano very well and a few episodes she barely knows how to play.

Others...

by Anonymousreply 4401/04/2013

On Alf, the father was a family man but in real life he was a cocksucking junkie. Oh wait... Okay this is better:

On Roseanne, Johnny Galecki was named "Kevin" the first time he appeared. After that he was "David."

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2013

True R1 about Johnny Galecki being named Kevin on his first episode, but in a later episode, I think it was Darlene who pointed out that David wasn't even his real name.

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2013

The professor couldn't make a raft.

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2013

In one episode, Beaver asks Wally if he trims his bush. But just two episodes earlier, Beaver sucked Wally off in the den.

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2013

Not a sitcom, but one of my favorites...

When Diahann Carroll first appeared on "Dynasty," she was this woman of mystery... no one knew who she was or where she came from.

By mid-season she had become a zillion-selling, world-renowned singing star... albeit one who was going to launch a "comeback" in a cocktail lounge in a Denver hotel.

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2013

On the Brady Bunch Oliver calls Mike uncle when he's not really his uncle.

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2013

On Golden Girls Blanche's middle name is Marie on one episode and it is ELizabeth on another.

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2013

Um, R7, most people call the spouse of a blood-related aunt their uncle.

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

No he's a STEP-uncle

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2013

In the Brady Bunch episode where Uncle Fester sues Mrs Brady, Bobby tells the judge his name is Robert.

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2013

In the first two seasons of Happy Days, there was an older brother, Chuck. After the 2nd season he disappeared, never to be heard from or mentioned again. Howard & Marion Cunningham always talked about their "two children, Richie and Joanie."

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2013

R12 - Fonzie told me the Cunninghams disowned him because he liked the homosex.

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2013

On "A Different World", my character was incredibly mannish during the first two seasons. After that second season, she just became a crypto-lesbian with misshapen breasticles.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2013

On the Brady Bunch, Alice says she's a middle child, but she has a cousin Emma.

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2013

During the 3rd season of "Friends", Rachel reveals to the group that she has an inverted, sentient penis, but it later turns out that Ross actually has an angry vagina where his mouth is.

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2013

Lou convinces Mary to hire the fired Sue Ann by telling her a story about how she once had the audacity to barge into his office and demand a job as an associate producer with no background.....yet in the first episode Mary is just applying for a secretarial job and the associate producer job she gets is considered a step down.

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2013

In The Beverly Hillbillies, Jed and Pearl are cousins, presumably first cousins. So Jethro and Jed should be 2nd cousins, but even in the pilot when Pearl has just been called a cousin, she tells Jethro that his rich Uncle Jed wants to ask him a question. It is possible that Jed's late wife, RoseEllen, and Pearls late husband, Mr. Bodine could have been siblings, but this is never explicitly disclosed during the series.

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2013

R10, a step-uncle is either (1) the brother of someone's stepmother or stepfather or (2) the stepbrother of someone's mother or father. Mike Brady was none of these to Cousin Oliver. Cousin Oliver was Carol's brother's son. Thus, Mike was not Cousin Oliver's stepmother's or stepfather's brother, nor was he Cousin Oliver's mother's or father's stepbrother.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2013

In the third episode of the fourth season of How I Met Your Mother, Bowser materializes and kills half the cast with a well-timed diarrhea squirt (the Mario Massacre). In the next episode, the dead cast members are seen alive again, albeit with caked brown mouths and slightly improved personalities.

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2013

r15, that makes no sense. Alice's having siblings have nothing to do with her parent's siblings, or lack thereof.

A cousin would be the child of one of her parents siblings. Only if both her parents had no brothers or sisters could there then be no cousin Emma.

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2013

R20, so painfully unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 2201/04/2013

In the 2nd-to-last episode of "Girls", Lena Dunham's character is quite clearly a monstrous cunt. In the season finale, the girls raise a toast to Lena's cuntitude, after which she heatedly announces her holy Pokemonic evolution into solipsistic fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 2301/04/2013

r18 Jed on several occasion explained he was not Jethro's uncle and once gave the entire history of the Clampetts.

He explains Granny is his mother in law, Jethro is his first cousin once removed and Ellie and Jethro are second cousins.

They use "cousin" as a general term for any non immediate family member. Like on the Dukes of Hazard.

Granny also mentions this, as she says, though she's not related by blood, she's "Granny to them all." (including Pearl). You will notice how Drysdale and Miss Jane call her Granny and only people equal to her age, like Mrs Drysdale's father, call her Daisy.

Granny is a Moses from Tennessee born in the same county ad Davy Crocket and Jed refers to her family as being from across the river, meaning the Mississippi, as they are likely from NW Arkansas or SW Missour

by Anonymousreply 2401/04/2013

Jesus, R10 and R15 need to look up how people are related.

by Anonymousreply 2501/04/2013

You're even more boring and wasteful than R20, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2601/04/2013

Just FYI, "uncle" or "aunt" is often used by children for close adult friends of the family that are of no relation to the family. I have been call "Uncle John" in several families with whom I am close, but not related.

by Anonymousreply 2701/04/2013

I think it's in the Pilot Episode of the Cosby Show at the very end, Claire and Heathcliff are talking about the troubles of having kids and one of them says to the other... "It could be worse, we could have five..."

They later wrote in the character of Sandra, which made five kids.

by Anonymousreply 2801/04/2013

Facts of Life had a few.. one was Blair being an only child. A few seasons in they have an episode where her "sister" played be Eve Plumb comes in. After that, she's never mentioned again, and Blair goes back to being an only child.

by Anonymousreply 2901/04/2013

I had an Auntie Phyllis who lived to be 99 (she died two years ago), but she was not blood-related. She started out as my great-grandmother's friend, and then became my grandmother's friend in later years when my great-grandmother passed on. She was still sprightly and had all her marbles right up until the end, while my grandmother who is 20 years younger is an invalid with a lot of ailments, mainly Parkinson's. Anyhoo, she was not biologically family but we addressed her as Auntie because my family had "adopted" her into the family long before I came along.

by Anonymousreply 3001/04/2013

In the pilot of Will & Grace, Will is portrayed as masculine gay man. In every single episode afterward, he is portrayed as a shrill queen who's obsessed with ironing and gift wrapping.

by Anonymousreply 3101/04/2013

Carrie on the King of Queens also had a sister who seemed to disappear.

by Anonymousreply 3201/04/2013

R29, no, it's explained about three times that they aren't really sisters as each character says, "But you don't have a sister, Blair."

by Anonymousreply 3301/04/2013

Don't get me started on Golden Girls inconsistencies. You can do a thread or two on that subject alone.

by Anonymousreply 3401/04/2013

King of Queens inconsistencies were rampant.

Why did they always leave for work out the kitchen door but come home from work through the front door?

by Anonymousreply 3501/04/2013

A holiday episode of the King of Queens has snow on the shrubs in front of the house and when they do a long shot all the gaint trees behind the house have summer time foilage.

by Anonymousreply 3601/04/2013

One episode, Lucy said she made a mistake by going on blind date with Ricky set up by Marian Strong. On an episode of the Lucy Desi hour, it showed they met on a cruise. Different shows but same characters.

by Anonymousreply 3701/04/2013

Dont get me wrong, I loved Roseanne, but think about it for a moment. They never had any money, yet they managed to own and operate three businesses during the run of the series. The first two failed (Dan's construction-house flipping scheme where in the end Tim Curry ripped them all off and later, Dan has a motorcycle shop) only the Lunch Box was a success. These people ate at the same kitchen table, with the same bent and busted chairs for years. They scammed a stove from a game show. Yet they managed to raise the funds needed for three businesses.

by Anonymousreply 3801/04/2013

R38

Dan also owned a construction business, I believe. 4 Aces.

I don't find it such a stretch that they were poor but owned businesses. And the motorcycle shop was supposed to be a co-venture with his buddy, and his buddy backed out but still left him the money to open up.

As far as the sandwich shop goes, it was venture with 4 others, they got a loan, and Roseanne's portion of the money (as well as Jackie's) came from their mom.

by Anonymousreply 3901/04/2013

I'm "uncle" to my cousin's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 4001/04/2013

[quote]Ethel Mertz in several episodes of I love Lucy plays the piano very well and a few episodes she barely knows how to play.

Those other episodes were after Fred slammed her fingers in the door of the fridge. He was pissed because she kept the bread in there instead of the breadbox he bought her for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 4101/04/2013

Re ROSEANNE: Like R39 said, the motorcycle shop was a co-venture with a buddy. After he reneged, they tried to make a go of it themselves, but it ended up going under. And the loose meat sandwich shop was Jackie's idea (during her trucker days) and they went ahead with it after their mother gave them each $10,000 and they got a loan. The Lunch Box was a modest hit, but I don't think they made much of a profit. So they remained poor until the whole lottery debacle.

by Anonymousreply 4201/04/2013

I guess its not really an inconsistency that the Conners owned so many business, just kind of crazy that anyone would be willing to be partners with them after so many failures. But as pointed out, the first two were really not because it was their fault. Annnnnyyyywaaaaay I started watching some old episodes on line because I was reminded of the time Dan nearly called Bev a bitter old cunt. Enjoy :-)

by Anonymousreply 4301/04/2013

R1

"David's not even his real name! Darlene made it up!"

by Anonymousreply 4401/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.