Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Just saw this on Facebook

Oh how to respond??

Dear Children,

I would like to apologize for the apparent injustice that I have done you. When I taught you to go to school, work hard, stay drug free and plan for college, I was wrong. Unfortunately, your father and I had the misfortune of putting ourselves through school and taking large student loans to try and provide a stable life for you. We have made enough money by working hard each day to be middle class. This means that we will pay for everyone else whose parents don't work or don't live here or don't care what their kids do, to go to college. Because we have to do this, your college career will suffer, unless you want to get married or pregnant, you will have to settle. So President Obama, when you say it doesn't matter if your black or white or illegal or poor or gay or straight you deserve an education. That is true except if your parents make just enough money not to be poor and then you're screwed. People who did what they were supposed to do are being punished. Explain to me what this generation is learning about morals and ethics... And what will they teach their offspring?

Sincerely,

Your Mother

by barfreply 5601/27/2015

My initial thought is to just unfriend whomever posted this, as they are incapable of critical thought and therefore will be immune to any response you may come up with.

by barfreply 101/04/2013

tl;dr

by barfreply 301/04/2013

Unfriend this person. Ain't nobody got time for that.

by barfreply 401/04/2013

what a myopic pile of black and white thinking and so true to the *values* of americans. Barf indeed.

by barfreply 501/04/2013

That "mother" is truly stupid. She brags about being educated yet writes without critical thought.

by barfreply 601/04/2013

[quote]So President Obama, when you say it doesn't matter if your [sic] black or white or illegal or poor or gay or straight you deserve an education.

Why are you Facebook friends with this illiterate cunt?

by barfreply 701/04/2013

I have to pay for kids to go to public schools and I am child-free. You'll never see me complaining about it on Facebook. I'm tired of people playing victim all the time.

by barfreply 801/04/2013

This is a very common complaint among republicans and its not just about education but it extends into other social issues such as Medicare for the poor etc.

You will not change her mind OP so arguing is really pointless. I have read that people with this mindset will not change, even when these same people become the recipients of government services that they previously complained about, because the way they see it is that they did the right thing and are entitled too it but not others. So in short this is all about selfishness and a lack of empathy.

by barfreply 901/04/2013

Entitled Republicans and their Persecution Complexes are insufferable.

by barfreply 1001/04/2013

"What's the point of having all this nice stuff if everyone else has it too?"

by barfreply 1101/04/2013

We should clarify for the benefit of DataLoungers outside the US that this cunt is complaining about subsidies for university education, not secondary education, though there are plenty of conservates who want to abolish public secondary education as well.

by barfreply 1201/04/2013

"Hi. I wanted you to know I came very close to unfriending you because of this post. However, as an educated person capable of rational thinking, I wanted to see if you would be open to a civil conversation about the points you've raised in this post. Do you believe all the things you wrote or did you read this somewhere, get angry because it rang true with you, and then paste it here?

I would be happy to explain, civilly, why I am not upset with our current President's plan and why it may not be such a problem for you in the long run. If you go through life listening to things without thinking them through, you will be easily manipulated and taken advantage of by people who don't care what actually happens to you. You and I are friends. We are both educated. We should put our heads together and see if we can come up with a rational way to look at this.

Or you can just unfriend me if you plan to keep posting reactionary pieces lacking in critical thought."

by barfreply 1301/04/2013

Is there anything more tedious than a supposed "lesson" to kids that is actually a political bitch fest in disguise?

by barfreply 1401/04/2013

If that's the case, r15, it's not ending well for the op!

by barfreply 1601/04/2013

To their Republican argument I'd add that the middle class paid for the bailout and suffered the consequences of corporate greed and lack of ethics.

Regardless of your party affiliation, the middle class always pays so screw them all.

by barfreply 1701/04/2013

As another poster said a lot of people pay taxes for the public school system without utilizing it. I was sent to Catholic school, so my parents paid taxes for public school and paid tuition to Catholic school. Everyones taxes go somewhere that does not benefit them. Suck it up you Republican creep! I wish I knew her name so I could go to her FB page.

by barfreply 1801/04/2013

The same was true when I went to college in 1972. There is a threshhold, but it's silly to think it's a new thing.

by barfreply 1901/04/2013

I suspect R15 may be right. There have been far too many threads lately on DL in which the OP posts, in its entirety, some anti-Obama screed that was supposedly posted on Facebook and then asks for advice on how to respond. Usually, the OP never returns to the thread. Sometimes, various freepers (perhaps the OP after deleting his cookies) enter the thread to claim that there is some truth to the Facebook screed. I suspect it's a deliberate freeper tactic: Post your tirades against Obama on message boards all over the web, but claim that they are actually messages that someone else posted to your Facebook wall.

by barfreply 2001/04/2013

Peak Oil = peak JOBS = peak wealth. Welcome to the new future of limited possibilities. This is the reality. Less resources means less growth, so there is NO WAY OUT. Make the connection. Do a search on Peak Oil. Read it. Ultimately, peak oil is to blame.

PS There are other choices besides white collar jobs. Why turn your nose up at plumbing, electrical, stone mason? HOlding a degree never was meant to equal job, anyway.

Want an education? Pick up a book and read and think.

by barfreply 2101/04/2013

The new thing now is to bad-mouth higher education, that "the guy in the White House wants everyone to go to college" and that college is over-rated and we need more plumbers and electricians. My response is usually that I know plenty of plumbers and electricians that may have done well in their career path but as they get older and it gets harder and harder to fold themselves under a sink or climb through a crawlspace, they wish they had paid more attention in school and wished their job involved sitting at a desk.

by barfreply 2201/04/2013

This is true: I teach Freshman at a state Univ, and there's a very weird conservative anti-college sentiment - even among the kids who are already IN college! It's completely strange.

by barfreply 2301/04/2013

"The new thing now is to bad-mouth higher education..."

FAR from new in the USA.

by barfreply 2401/04/2013

I'm at peace with the whole world, and if any country wants to attack me, I officially surrender.

Now, can I get all the tax money I pay for the military back?

by barfreply 2501/04/2013

"your" for you're

Freeper

by barfreply 2601/04/2013

Stressed out conservatives die much earlier than they otherwise would so don't forget to remind her that dark skinned people are sitting back spending welfare checks on fake fingernails and iPhones.

by barfreply 2701/04/2013

[quote]That "mother" is truly stupid. She brags about being educated yet writes without critical thought.

She also doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're", so those large students loans weren't really of much help to her.

by barfreply 2801/04/2013

Archie: "I didn't have no one marching out in the street to get me a job:

Edith: "That's right. His uncle got it for him"

by barfreply 3001/04/2013

People have always gamed the system -- people of all classes. Part of the cost of doing business.

I am one am grateful that this whiny person is stuck with a mountain of debt. He or she is naive, not very bright, and begrudging of other people.

by barfreply 3101/04/2013

OP here, and dumbass at R15, I am NOT circulating any shit. This is an actual status in my feed. I actually Googled it first, thinking it was something that was being passed around, but no - it looks as though she actually wrote it herself.

My first thought was to lash out at her, but then I'd look like the asshole. I just wanted to respond civilly, intelligently and thoughtfully, but was too pissed off to do so at the time.

I am boggled by the lack of info people have, and, as many of you stated, lack of critical thinking.

Sheesh, we're not all undercover freepers.

by barfreply 3201/04/2013

[quote] My first thought was to lash out at her, but then I'd look like the asshole. I just wanted to respond civilly, intelligently and thoughtfully, but was too pissed off to do so at the time.

Everyone should learn this lesson. Never post something in haste and in anger. There is no up side to it, but there can always be plenty of down side.

by barfreply 3301/04/2013

Dear Mother:

Thank you for the thoughtful letter. I have given it much though and want to remind you who signs your commitment papers. So, you stinking cuntbucket, get ready for the cheapest rest home we can find.

Your loving son.

PS -- I've told Dad about your affair with your boss at the real estate office as well as the abortion you had seven years ago. He said he'll talk to you about that when he gets home.

by barfreply 3401/04/2013

Republicans live on lies. Lie to themselves and everyone else. Nothing new.

by barfreply 3501/04/2013

I'm getting sick of Facebook for reasons like this. I also hate when someone comments on a company's page to either complain or thank a staff member, and it gets about 20000 likes and ends up on my feed. If you want to thank a staff member, a private note would be better than a showy "look at me!" post.

by barfreply 3601/04/2013

Well at least the freeper's not using the tired "My mom sent this" rouse this time.

by barfreply 3701/04/2013

Well, R32, try writing a preface instead of just dumping it on us.

by barfreply 3801/04/2013

Punch and delete!

by barfreply 4001/27/2015

I'd rather pay taxes and have it go to kids from poor families who want an education than have it go to rich kids whose parents can afford to send them. We aren't asked whether we want to be born to a poor or rich family. My state changed the term "private school" to "charter school," managed to get through a state constitutional amendment where we're now providing educational vouchers to rich kids going to private schools. I didn't mind paying taxes for public education before though I have no children, but I do mind paying them to subsidize private schools. I figure if mama can afford a Gucci purse and a Rolls, then she can afford to send her kid to school.

by barfreply 4101/27/2015

In Canada, there is no such thing as a private university. All universities are subsidized and because of this, I find that upward social mobility is much easier than in the US.

by barfreply 4201/27/2015

[quote]My state changed the term "private school" to "charter school," managed to get through a state constitutional amendment

What state.

I don't understand charter schools. In LA two high schools in rich areas are now "charter".

Why?

by barfreply 4301/27/2015

Unfriend? Freaking "unfriend!!???" Lawd help us. It has even invaded this unholy place.

by barfreply 4401/27/2015

OP-

What's the problem?

She is just telling the truth. Obama is sucking up to people the same way Bush, and Clinton, and Reagan did, and screwing us in the process.

by barfreply 4501/27/2015

This is a two-year-old thread, idiots. And F&F r39 for resurrecting it.

by barfreply 4601/27/2015

R42 Just one of the many things that Canada handles better than we do.

by barfreply 4701/27/2015

During the 40s and 50s people believed in "Right and Wrong" based on religious upbringing.

In the 60s we began to see that everything wasn't clearly defined, there were gray areas. We had a "non-judgmental" philosophy where no one was held to a standard. Everyone created their own version of right and wrong.

by barfreply 4801/27/2015

The obvious answer is the right one. The rich have fixed the game so they get disproportionate rewards and almost no barriers to inheritance. In this situation, the rich are also making all the investment decisions for society, and demanding free trade with slave wage countries, with the specific result that any relationship our culture once had between work and reward was broken. Attacking alleged layabouts is how they got the middle classes to accept their own impoverishment, even though layabouts as a class were never numerous enough to negatively affect the entire American economy. Today, that has all changed because the rich don't need 90% of Americans, and they are slowly eliminating all jobs, and transforming the majority of people into layabouts. And they did it by sending around idiot propaganda like that referred to by OP. In truth, people prefer to work and make decisions about their consumption whenever this is possible. The claim that government "entitlements" for the poor are destroying America is manifestly false. The largest number of non-working people in America are the rich, not the poor. Look at Mitt Romney's family. None of them has a real job. And yet they still believe people are so stupid they will continue to fall for this propaganda every time they put it out.

by barfreply 4901/27/2015

Why would you ask the POTUS a question in a letter addressed to our children? Are they supposed to forward it to him?

by barfreply 5001/27/2015

People have been going to college on scholarships since at least the GI bill. If all those people from poor families, with no tradition of higher education, hadn't gone to college, got good jobs and paid lots of taxes, where would we be now? Without a lot of the infrastructure we have now, that's for sure.

Not to mention, all the college educated people who invented things, made things, designed things and paid for their own kids to go to college. Her parents or grandparents are probably in that group.

The idea that Obama invented poor people going to college is asinine. If she wants to complain about something, I've read that in China college is free. Guess who's going to come out ahead long term, if we don't keep up? Not us.

In the 1960s, durIng the Cold War, we had a "space race" with the USSR. That was basically a technology race, to see who could produce more inventions and technology that could be practically applied from the research that went into the program.

Today our main competitor is China, not Russia. We need to have another "technology race," or to paraphrase Kruschev, "they will bury us."

by barfreply 5101/27/2015

People went to college on scholarships long before the GI bill.

by barfreply 5201/27/2015

*your

by barfreply 5301/27/2015

R52, I didn't mean to say they didn't, I meant to say a very large number went, because the government was subsidizing people who maybe didn't get the top grades, or weren't straight out of school. Married people, vets. People that wouldn't have been able to go strictly on grades or some other arbitrary qualification. If you were a vet, which was most American males, you could go. And the country was much better for it, not worse.

This lady seems to have lost sight of the benefit of all kinds of people being educated. It's good for democracy as well as commerce.

by barfreply 5401/27/2015

No thread on the Clooney divorce?

by barfreply 5501/27/2015

[R11] Right On!

by barfreply 5601/27/2015
Need more help? Click Here.