Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

DL Men, What Products Do You Use?

I use self-tanning moisturizer twice a week, and anti-shine matte powder. Clear lash and brow gel for my lashes, brows, and goatee during the day, black manscara at night and concealer under my eye bags with light foundation (StudioFive for Men). I'm 49. Always use a facial scrub and toner before applying anything.

Can't wear any kind of foundation during the day as it looks too obvious... unless I'm really hungover, oily, and red. In that case, I use eye drops, and break out my man makeup kit without prejudice, but blot away the excess with TP.

Guys, what do you use to enhance your face and/or hide the flaws?

by Anonymousreply 9403/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2013

I use Neutrogena anti-acne makeup on my occasional zit, mostly on my nose.

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2013

I use unscented store brand dandruff shampoo on my head, face and whole body, and lots of hot water. Period. I go to an old fashioned man's barbershop usually every 2 to 3 months, and he trims my hair and beard with clippers.

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2013

I keep my head trimmed very short because of tragic pattern baldness and really need to look into some sort of shine-blotting solution.

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2013

Crew Tea Tree Oil Shampoo

L’Occitane Verbena Shea Butter Soap

Eshu Walnut Shell Face Scrub

Aqua Fresh Whitening Mint Toothpaste

Mitchum Gel Non Scented Deodorant

“Wood” cologne by DSquared

Burt’s Bee’s Lip Balm

Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Moisturizer for Men

Crew Hair Forming Cream

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2013

Jean Nate

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2013

Suave shampoo, Dove soap, Gillette shaving gel and antiperspirant. No cologne, no facial scrub, no hair product. The full morning bathroom routine (including shit, shower and shave) is under 15 minutes.

I'm 50yo.

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2013

[R4] Ummm ... I find MPB is often a turn on, preferring guys NOT shave their heads to hide it.

[R3] I have my beard trimmed by a barber about once a month, and my MPB hair buzz cut (#4 blade) every other visit as well.

Pert Plus shampoo (I'm not crazy about the extra body version I bought, but it's a BIG bottle and I don't have much hair) and pretty much whatever toothpaste and deodorant are on sale when I'm running out. I have enough bar soaps from various hotels to last a looooong time.

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

You're fast and efficient, but I hope you don't fuck that fast! :-)

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2013

[quote] Ummm ... I find MPB is often a turn on, preferring guys NOT shave their heads to hide it.

I should clarify that while it's hot on most men, my particular pattern baldness is tragic. I look like Bozo.

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2013

Eros lubricant

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2013

[R11] - I understand what you're saying, but I like those guys a lot (zilch above with tufted sides), the younger they get that bald the better!

(apologies for the digression)

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2013

I use literally the cheapest of everything. Hand lotion. Hair gel. Sunglasses. I've found over time that the experience versus really high end stuff isn't all that different.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2013

A good plastic surgeon

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2013

Dial bar soap when I take a shower.

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2013

liquid African black soap with a cure series exfoliating bath towel - super hard weave.

everyman Jack shave cream and a Shick Hydro 5 (I find it shaves better than Gillette and cheaper)

Neutrogena Cleansing Wipes, Pink Grapefruit - right before bed.

Loreal Men's Expert Vita Lift Moisturizer - after I shave and after I cleanse at night.

That is pretty much it - does not take more than 15 mins in morning - shower, shave, moisturize, deodorant, brush teeth, shot of Gucci Envy - get dressed leave for work.

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2013

[quote]Can't wear any kind of foundation during the day as it looks too obvious

Girl, glad to know that discretion is the better part of valor.

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2013

R17, I mean no offense, but that sounds simply tedious. But then I loathe body grooming - hate to get my hair cut, hate to shave. Gel is something to keep my hair out of my eyes, and cologne is something to wear to shut people up.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2013

Lots and lots of protein rich creamy facials.

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2013

[R19] -- I HATED shaving with a passion, so my 42nd bday present to myself was to simply ... stop. I haven't picked up a razor since (I pay a barber to trim periodically).

by Anonymousreply 2201/04/2013

r19 tedious? I wash with liquid black soap in the shower and use the exfoliating bath towel (better than scrungie or sponge or wash cloth). Get out and shave, moisturize, brush teeth, deodorant, shot of cologne and go....

it only takes me 15 mins because I like to pretty up my asshole for photoshoots.

by Anonymousreply 2301/04/2013

Any shower list of more than three things is turning into an ordeal. Shit. Shower. Shave. All at once if you're so inclined and have the drain for it. (Gross)

by Anonymousreply 2501/04/2013

Fess up - is everybody a shower a day person?

I've gone through periods where I showered twice a day, and some where I'd go a few days between showers. They both make me itchy.

by Anonymousreply 2601/04/2013

all the boys want to kiss r25 - brush your teeth you gross fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2701/04/2013

Cleanser and moisturizer on my face at night. Sometimes cleanser in the morning, sometimes just warm water. I usually use my Clarisonic to wash my face w or w/o the cleanser. Less is more, I think, with the face. I think exercise and diet do much more for great, taught, wrinkle free skin than products...but this thread isn't about that.

I don't even use deodorant unless I could possibly sweat during the day. If I do, it's something that smells like soap. Sometimes I spray sea salt water mixed with conditioner into my hair and it looks textured and I smell like the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 2801/04/2013

R27, I brush after meals. Do you mean to tell me you do in the bathroom?! Where you SHIT?!

Yeahhhhh. All the boys want to kiss THAT.

by Anonymousreply 2901/04/2013

I live in the frozen tundra of Madison, WI, so it's essential here that you use lotion on your body on a daily basis during the winter months--male, female, straight, gay--everyone. Otherwise, your skin will dry out so badly that you develop these little bumps all over your body and they itch like a sumbitch.

So..aside from Gold Bond Aloe body moisturizer, I use regular old Colgate toothpaste, Crest mouthwash, a facial moisturizer (almost anything, but usually regular Oil of Olay) and that's about it. For showering, I use Irish Spring liquid and also Irish Spring deodorant, because the smell of that shit is so good I almost turn myself on. No cologne, but I will admit that I often run the Irish Spring gel deodorant over my neck before I go out.

by Anonymousreply 3001/04/2013

R30, the year I lived in Madison was the year my heels split open so bad during the winter I couldn't walk. No fucking thank you ever again.

by Anonymousreply 3101/04/2013

[quote]I use literally the cheapest of everything. Hand lotion. Hair gel. Sunglasses. I've found over time that the experience versus really high end stuff isn't all that different.

What an empty life you must lead. I'm not saying you have to wear eyeliner like some of the dizzy cunts around here, but fucking hell, getting the cheapest of everything is no way to live.

by Anonymousreply 3201/04/2013

Can anyone here recommend a good shaving cream/lotion for easily irritated skin? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3301/04/2013

R32 - Jesus, must you be a judgmental cunt about everything? Deciding that there is very little difference in experience AFTER have sampled the high end stuff and made an adult decision hardly qualifies as an "empty life." You probably make those sorts of leaps a lot, right?

But to be clear - I'm not knocking the high end stuff at all; it's great. But at the end of the day there's not much difference to me. I've had really expensive sunglasses and ones I bought at a gas station. Essentially the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 3401/04/2013

[R25] - one shower per day for me, only exception is if I've been traveling overnight to the east coast via a redeye and connection to visit my folks. By the time I hit their place it's early afternoon, we usually don't go out anywhere, so sometimes I just put off a shower to the next morning.

[R29] - I thought ALMOST EVERYONE brushes their teeth in the bathroom, guess not!

by Anonymousreply 3501/04/2013

My dentist once told me it didn't matter what kind of toothpaste anyone used; the idea was to clean the teeth with thorough brushing and no toothpaste would actually whiten teeth.

Still, I could never force myself to just use the cheapest toothpaste. I buy Rembrandt, brush before I shave and usually leave it in my mouth while I'm actually shaving.

by Anonymousreply 3601/04/2013

Malin & Goetz vitamin b5 body moisturizer (2x/week)

Molton Brown body wash (daily, in the shower)

Gilchrist & Soames shampoo, hair conditioner (also for shaving)

Gilchrist & Soames bar soap

American Crew forming cream (hair - only when it gets sticky-outy)

Stick deodorant (usually only when traveling)

by Anonymousreply 3701/04/2013

Generally 1 shower a day here. Will usually do a second shower on weekends after outdoor activity (mowing the pasture, mucking in the corral, hauling brush, etc.) or after activity at the fire pit (grilling or homebrewing).

I'll also do a second shower when on vacation (after a day in the city and before the theater). Yes, I am guy who lives in the country and vacations in urban areas.

by Anonymousreply 3801/04/2013

R37 are you British? Gilchrist & Soames is great but not that popular in America. I use...

Bliss Labs body wash (Lemon and Sage)

Jack Black for shampoo, shaving cream and aftershave.

Jack Black Lip Balm (mint is the best flavor).

Phyto volumizer.

Paul Mitchell tea tree shaping cream for hair.

Murad for skin cleanser, toner and moisturizer (I rub ice cubes on my face and neck after a shower to close my pores before applying the moisturizer).

Mitchum unscented deodorant.

Crest toothpaste.

Scope mouthwash.

by Anonymousreply 3901/04/2013

OP, are you transgender?

by Anonymousreply 4001/04/2013

I use baking soda to brush my teeth. No toothpaste works as well, and the hygenist always says that I have no buildup on my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 4101/04/2013

Take a bunch of supplements, including fermented cod liver oil, Garden of Life whole foods multivitamin, and 200 mg Ubiquinol. Semi-paleo/low carb diet but I eat dairy and some rice/potatoes. No caffeine, occasional wine. No other drugs.

Brush teeth with equal parts baking soda and coconut oil or just baking soda, floss nightly. I've tried oil pulling a few times but have yet to get into it. Anyone do this?

Diluted baking soda to wash hair and a bit of apple cider vinegar in water to rinse/condition (the vinegar smell goes away after a few minutes) - much better for my greasy hair than shampoo. Kiss My Face hair gel to tame frizzies.

Soap with Kiss My Face olive oil soap or Dr. Bronner almond bar soap. Would like to try cold-milled goat milk soap.

Kiss My Face Lip Balm

Alvera natural deodorant in fall/winter when I don't sweat much. Regular deodorant in summer/when exercising is one of the few non-natural health products I'm currently using. I may be a hippie, but I won't subject others to my stink.

In morning rinse face with water and put on MyChelle 28 SPF natural sunscreen

In evening oil clean face with avocado oil instead of soap, use microdermabrasion cloth every other day

Before bed use Skin Biology Super CP Serum on face, topped with avocado oil. I previously used emu oil and liked it, but avocado oil cost about 75% less and works just fine.

Am 45 and friends tell me I look 25. Just kidding, but they tell me I look great for my age. That's good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 4201/04/2013

Drug store sale items for body wash, facial cleanser, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner. I have zero brand loyalty as I think all these items are basically the same at any price point. Unless its generic you're mostly paying for fragrance, packaging and advertising.

Aveeno face moisturizer with 15 SPF. Sometimes I get the generic. There are certainly pricier options but this works for me. I've been using it since my mid twenties and at 44 I have almost no lines on my face. (and I smoke!)

No cologne, it's gross and gets in the way of kissing and sex. Ever kiss a guy's neck or chest with cologne on it? Totally gross. A clean, natural scent is fine. Men aren't supposed to smell like meadows and sunshine.

No make-up, unless its Halloween. I hope OP is very, very young and still "expressing" himself, or a performer of some sort. Otherwise he sounds a little gender-confused.

by Anonymousreply 4301/04/2013

I'd never heard of split heels until I read r31. Then I Googled an image of it and screamed.

by Anonymousreply 4501/04/2013

R43 is right - sunscreen makes an incredible difference. My younger brother is 2 years younger than me and looks a good five to ten years older than I do. Sun spots, crow's feet, and a much looser neck than I have, despite good nutrition, regular exercise and less weight fluctuation than me. He just never wore sunscreen, and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 4601/04/2013

Goddamnit r30, I would move to Wisconsin just to lotion up your entire body. Am an SF native, where it's always cool, humid, and clammy. No excuse to moisturize here. Except that I have a body cream and lotion fetish, so I have quite a collection.

My intent was to get guys to admit what beauty products they use on this thread (another fetish), not their bathing regimes.

Am into masculine guys who use product and who slather.

by Anonymousreply 4701/04/2013

Oh my OP, you seem a little creepy.

by Anonymousreply 4801/04/2013

"Am into masculine guys who use product and who slather."

perfect example of "oxymoron".

by Anonymousreply 4901/04/2013

[quote]My intent was to get guys to admit what beauty products they use

Really? Very few men of any sexuality use "beauty products", and the replies on this thread illustrate this. You're either a drag queen or seriously deluded about your level of masculinity. I'd also bet my paycheck that most people who encounter you slathered in foundation, mascara, powder and self-tanner think you look freakish at best.

by Anonymousreply 5001/04/2013

Gilchrist & Soames is as British as Indianapolis, where it is located and makes a business as the 'pretend house brand' distributed to less-than-luxury hotels too stingy to offer Ren, Kiehl's, Bulgari, or Penhaligons.

Anyone who goes and actually spends money on that crap is a fool.

by Anonymousreply 5101/04/2013

In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial masque which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

by Anonymousreply 5201/04/2013

I bet all you "fabulous" product queens will look like shit after just one day stranded in a desert island

by Anonymousreply 5301/04/2013

If I break out really bad, I'll use MENAJI which is essentially cover up for men. One tube can last 2 years and I apply it very LIGHT and blend it in on the troubled area.

I don't wear it everyday, only certain days if my skin looks bad. It most work since NOBODY has ever asked me if I'm wearing make-up. But then again the product is made for MENS skin, my sister told me about

Some days I wear a baseball hat to work, other days depending on time ill use AXE hair putty on my hair.

I shower everyday and brush my teeth at least twice a day.

by Anonymousreply 5401/04/2013

I do a lot of the same stuff as R42... cod liver oil, Skin Biology products (folligen and SuperCop), etc. I take a lot of supplements, though. Everything from lipoic acid to resveratrol to rhodiola rosea, lots of different herbs.

Sometimes I use emu oil plus coconut oil as a pre-shave oil before using a safety razor. When I shave I use an herbal decoction I make up weekly with hops, chamomile, lavender, licorice root, calendula, witch hazel and some other stuff. Heat some up in the microwave after taking the batch from the frige and use it to steam my face, soften the beard hairs, etc before I shave and use it to rinse after, seems to help with controlling inflamation, razor burn, etc. And I use a badger brush and Proraso Shave Soap (for sensitive skin). The herbal decoction stuff is my latest experiment, it's become really hard to get a decent shave as I'm getting older. I think that some of the phyto-estrogens in the herbs may be slowing down the rate of my beard growth (which is dark and heavy), which is good.

I also use a nightly BHA (Paula's Choice 2% liquid)and retin-a mixed with topical CoQ10 three nights a week.

One thing that has made a big difference with my skin and pores and blackheads has been using accutane at very, very low doses 3 times a week to control this weird sebaceous hyperplasia problem I developed in my mid 30s. I also used to Botox twice a year but now I'm trying to see if Frownies at night will work on my 11's and save me money.

Anyway, I was carded for probably the last time in my life last week at 43 buying some wine which made me happy.

What sunscreen brands do people here use? (that MyChelle Sun Shield suggested gets good reviews...)

by Anonymousreply 5501/04/2013

I shower twice a day once in the morning and once before bed, I also mix a douche in there pre shower but I have a bf so I get fucked nightly (I am a prepared bitch). I shower twice a day because I am oily - like really bad. I get breakouts everywhere so I have to shower twice a day or my skin is a mess.

p.s. who the hell does not brush their teeth in the bathroom? Yes I poop there but not on my brush for god's sake - my crapper is in it's own lil room separate from the sinks.

by Anonymousreply 5601/04/2013

I just kept my military crew cut when I got out so Suave 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner. Gillette lemon/lime shaving cream. Suave deodorant. And I buy a bottle of organic sunflower oil for about three bucks and put that on my face a couple of nights before bedtime. In the summer time I put some non talcum foot powder around my dick to avoid jock itch. You can't use the talcum powder because the bacteria that causes jock itch feeds off it.

by Anonymousreply 5701/04/2013

I like pretty guys that use beauty products

by Anonymousreply 5801/05/2013

anyone use "hydrating aragan morrocon oil body cream lotion"?

by Anonymousreply 5902/19/2013

[quote]Ummm ... I find MPB is often a turn on, preferring guys NOT shave their heads to hide it.

[quote]I should clarify that while it's hot on most men...

MPB is most definitely NOT hot by any stretch of the imagination.

by Anonymousreply 6002/19/2013

Please, God, let these all be ESTs.

by Anonymousreply 6102/20/2013

Soap, skin lotion, goo to keep my hair in place on workdays.

by Anonymousreply 6202/20/2013

OP try Garnier's BB cream. It's quick and easy and gives a fair degree of coverage. I started using it about a month ago and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 6302/20/2013

I scrub myself with comet to get the whore off. I use a toothbrush with bleach to get in my asshole and scrub it clean and free of the disease that infests me. I then rub down with alcohol so I am pure.

Then I use a little Hermes self tanner and ready to go!

by Anonymousreply 6402/20/2013

I use Sebamed in the shower. It's impossible to find in my city, so I get it from Amazon. When I run out I use Cetaphil cleanser to tide me over, though it doesn't feel quite as clean.

Cetaphil lotion to moisturize face and hands.

Mitchum Smart Solid unscented. On weekends I use Tom's of Maine unscented deodorant to give myself a break from antiperspirant chemicals, but it doesn't really work.

Tom's of Maine toothpaste, because it contains no triclosan. Trader Joe's store brand is also good.

Three different colors of Listerine: white pre-rinse for whitening, purple post-brush rinse for flouride and intensely fresh breath, and blue antiseptic for weekends when my mouth feels especially nasty.

by Anonymousreply 6502/20/2013

Surely this is all a send up?

Are there really men so girly and self obsessed. Fawk!

Glad I don't know any!

by Anonymousreply 6602/20/2013

OP do you also diligently wax that vagina of yours too?

by Anonymousreply 6702/20/2013

I didn't see the need to moisturize until I was 51. Now I do my face and hands daily, but not any of the rest of my body. Just drugstore "firming moisturizer."

by Anonymousreply 6802/20/2013

Jesus. To borrow a quote from the much missed Price Leatherbarrow

"Lotions and potions for old bitches"

by Anonymousreply 6902/20/2013

R33 Edge for sensitive skin

by Anonymousreply 7002/20/2013

i'm a pretty girl.

by Anonymousreply 7102/20/2013

I take my shower, shampoo, condition, use sunscreen daily, deodorant, toothpaste, mouthwash, floss, cologne, eye drops, Chapstick, product for hair, some lotion, nail cleaning, then I'm out the door.

by Anonymousreply 7202/20/2013

52 yo, and I use basic cleaning products only.

Suave shampoo ($2/bottle), Gillette shaving cream, Dove soap and antiperspirant from Costco, and regular baking soda toothpaste.

No creams, potions, or applied scents. Nothing in my hair at all.

by Anonymousreply 7302/20/2013

I use Aveda Pureformance shampoo and grooming clay on my hair, Nivea shave and body wash, baby lotion on my body and Murad Moisturizing Serum for sensitive skin on my face. I use Certain Dri twice a week and Crystal deodorant stick everyday. When I wear cologne, it's Acqua di Parma. For my teeth, I use Colgate Total gel, Scope rinse and Reach floss.

by Anonymousreply 7402/20/2013

I rub Nivea essentially enriched lotion all over my body because it feels like sex.

by Anonymousreply 7502/20/2013

Im currently using Clinique moisturizing gel on my face. Its works great but I need to find something thats not as expensive.

I like guys that dont look like they use a lot of products but really are divas who use a considerable amount.

by Anonymousreply 7602/23/2013

Severe Product Queen!

Tea tree oil soap No shampoo Witch hazel for face H2O2 from a spray bottle as deodorant H2O2 diluted as mouthwash Almond oil for dry skin Vitamin E & aloe for burns

Deodorants are toxic And most products are full of harsh lab chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 7702/23/2013

I second Jean Nate

by Anonymousreply 7802/23/2013

liquid soap for washing hands and face

nail brush

clippers for trimming finger nails and toe nails

scissors/clippers for nose and ear hair

shaving cream

styptic liquid for razor cuts

after-shave balm

dental floss

brush for between teeth

electric tooth brush

rubber tipped gum cleaner

tooth paste

wash cloth

hard-milled soap for showering

unscented prescription anti-antiperspirant

hair gel

hair brush

hair dryer on cold days

I didn't think I used much in the way of products, but this list tells me otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 7902/23/2013

[quote]Surely this is all a send up? Are there really men so girly and self obsessed. Fawk! Glad I don't know any!

Oh, yes you do.

by Anonymousreply 8002/23/2013

Black and Decker pruning shears.

by Anonymousreply 8102/23/2013

[quote]Am into masculine guys who use product and who slather.

They don't exist. Seriously, unless you're a drag queen or in the middle of gender re-assignment surgery using gel on your eye leashes and brows, let alone foundation at any time of the day or night, would make you the least masculine man on earth.

by Anonymousreply 8202/23/2013

Mr. Natural @R42:

Have you gotten good results with the Super Cop?

by Anonymousreply 8302/23/2013

To be fair, R82, OP didn't claim to be masculine, he just said he was into masculine guys.

And I used to be fuck buddies with a totes butch 6'5" NYC cop who had every fucking product Kiehl's ever made.

by Anonymousreply 8402/23/2013

I don't use anything. I avoid assholes.

by Anonymousreply 8502/23/2013

Thank god I'm a lez!

by Anonymousreply 8602/23/2013

[quote]And I used to be fuck buddies with a totes butch 6'5" NYC cop who had every fucking product Kiehl's ever made.

I can't take anyone who says the word "totes" seriously.

by Anonymousreply 8702/23/2013

[quote]I can't take anyone who says the word "totes" seriously.

And you don't have to, sugar.

by Anonymousreply 8802/23/2013

I don't use a lot of products. Soap and water do nicely. I just make sure I'm clean at all times. Head to foot. I run not walk to the shower after exercising. You can't be too clean.

by Anonymousreply 8902/23/2013

I use a moisturizer with sunscreen and have been doing that for the past 10 years. I'm 36 and don't have any crows feet. I have the start of a wrinkle on my forehead.

by Anonymousreply 9002/23/2013

[quote]When I shave I use an herbal decoction I make up weekly with hops, chamomile, lavender, licorice root, calendula, witch hazel and some other stuff.

Does it have...tannis root in it as well?

by Anonymousreply 9102/23/2013

Irish spring soap

Head and shoulders shampoo

Ultra brute toothpaste.

I am simple man.

by Anonymousreply 9202/23/2013

Correction R92 - You are a simple brute (but not too brite.)

by Anonymousreply 9302/23/2013

well yeah, but just for the color, R91

by Anonymousreply 9403/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!