Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bob's Furniture

Can someone tell me who is the target customer for this brand of schlock reclining couches and accessories? Because it sure ain't me, and it looks like they're doing good business, especially considering their commercials are everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 2801/04/2013

I have no idea, but their stuff is really awful. My partner and I took a look in when we needed to furnish our new place, and didn't see so much as a side table that wasn't terrible. Very early 80s McMansion overall, and the Stay-Puft sofas are baffling.

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2013

Trailer folks, flyovers peeps, my boss (she actually has a shag carpet toilet seat cover), etc.

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2013

Didn't you just answer your own question?

Their target audience are the 99% percent of the US population that does not think as you do.

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2013

It started as a CT-based chain. They had unmarked trucks to deliver in Fairfield County for people who didn't want the neighbors to see a Bob's delivery truck.

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2013

They're like the Gothic Cabinet Craft of the Suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2013

I'm planning on buying a new living room set in the upcoming months and looked at the Bob's website. Cheap prices but not very interesting stuff. I know that their stuff is crap because my sister bought some of their furniture and it did not last. Also, read some reviews on yelp and EVERYBODY hated Bob's - said the the customer service was awful and that they would never buy from Bob's again.

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2013

Has anyone tried Home Goods? I'm looking for a console table to put my flat screen on. I heard Home Goods runs rings around everything else out there.

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2013

Gothic can make some decent stuff out of solid woods. Not an apt comparison.

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2013

Home Goods is hit and miss--some of their stuff is fine, but some of it is really low-quality. I know someone who worked at one of their suppliers, and they said HG wasn't a stickler for quality.

Home Goods is really great for things like serving plates for food gifts you're bringing to someone's home. Smaller decorative items are okay, particularly things you're not going to use hard; some of the cookware is a good buy (though one piece exploded in the oven on us during Thanksgiving).

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

I have a few things from Bob's. Most of the stuff there was pretty ugly, but I found one bedroom set that I liked. The only other thing in my budget was Ikea, so even if Bob's stuff isn't the best, I thought it was a step up from that.

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2013

R10, I disagree. IKEA may be disposable furniture, but it is generally good design. Bob's furniture is mostly poorly designed, poorly proportioned furniture for people who think cup holders are a necessary element of any sofa (most of America).

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2013

[quote]Bob's furniture is mostly poorly designed, poorly proportioned furniture for people who think cup holders are a necessary element of any sofa

Chuckle...

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2013

I can't speak to Bob's quality, but IKEA certainly isn't what it was. When they first opened in Elizabeth I got a table for my first apartment, and the thing was indestructable. It moved around with me for almost twenty years, until my partner prevailed upon me to finally get rid of it.

Nothing I bought post-2000 or so ever held up like that.

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2013

What about raymour and flannigan? Anyone bought from there? Some of their prices aren't bad.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2013

A friend gave me a flat screen TV. I need to get rid of my old one (that has a 'big back to it.')

where can I get a classy for it.

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2013

OP, I think people might exist who have different tastes than you. Please make a note of it.

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2013

R14 R and F is a re-seller and carries man lines. Some shit, some very good.

Be wary of 'leather' there are a lot of scams with vinyl being passed off as leather or 'blends' with about 1% leather added to the vinyl.

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2013

We got dining chairs from R&F, as well as our mattress. They're very willing to make deals, too, since you're working with salespeople who seem really motivated and work on commission. Ours took good care of us, got us very good prices--even beating another R&F in the area--and drove to our house to personally deliver the mattress cover that didn't make the initial shipment.

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2013

In CT and and have lived through Bob's growth and expansion in State as well as out of State. I bought a few things early on and it was ok. But have not bought any of my most recent furniture purchases there. I think their quality has gotten really bad and their sales people are really aggresive to the point that I avoid their stores. They also like to advertise inexpensive prices but nickle and dime at check-out. And some of their prices actually seem really expensive considering the quality and other alternatives for the same cheap quality. I've made my most recent furniture purchases at Raymour & Flanigan. No compliants there.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2013

[quote]The only other thing in my budget was Ikea, so even if Bob's stuff isn't the best, I thought it was a step up from that.

Wow, you must have horrible taste if you prefer over-stuffed pastel sofas and lacquer bedroom sets to equally cheap furniture that at least has a pleasing, contemporary aesthetic that doesn't scream "trailer park".

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2013

I have a sectional from R&F and it's been good so far. One exception was the most sat on cushion got a little depressed, but nothing that adding extra batting could't fix. Also bought tables from there, and no issues. I did however see a lot of stuff @ R&F that was kind of past it's style prime.

Ikea …Iv'e only purchased utility type pieces form there like chests of drawers for a spare bedroom, etc. I cannot see it holding up to a lot of war and tear, but it suits the need of occasional use.

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2013

BOB'S Furniture targets mainly the working poor, very simple blue collar types and African Americans. They have a huge African American demographic.

They offer their own financing, the furniture is cheap and of course looks it; but for some reason, many people in lower income ranges really love those puffy, overly-decorated furniture items.

One thing's for sure, if you're ever looking for things like brass claw lamps, black lacquered console tables and 'etched' glass sofa mirrors, BOB'S will have it. I bet they've even got a healthy supply of those Nagel prints too. Très chic!

by Anonymousreply 2201/04/2013

I'm scared to google "Nagel print"

by Anonymousreply 2301/04/2013

Bob's sucks

by Anonymousreply 2401/04/2013

But... free popcorn!

by Anonymousreply 2501/04/2013

DO IT R23, and behold the glamour and sophistication which graced every queen's apartment and house of the 1980s.

As you gaze upon their beauty, picture each hanged above a gorgeous faux leather puffy sofa or love seat with teal accents.. Then imagine the splendor of the brass claw lamp, the black lacquer accent pieces, accented with faux brass trim... Somewhere, in a corner, there's a huge clay urn with multi-colored cattails half the way to the ceiling. Then close your eyes softly and you can almost hear the sweet sounds of New Order or Paula Abdul playing somewhere in the background... That or Cole Porter.

by Anonymousreply 2601/04/2013

R26, OK, I broke down. Whaaaaaaa!!!!!

Question. what was the hideous pottery airbrushed in Miami Vice teal, dusty pink, etc. from the same period?

by Anonymousreply 2701/04/2013

Why is this even on a gay message board!

Give me some Herman Miller at the low end!

by Anonymousreply 2801/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.