Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

3 was not enough Ab Fab

When you did those 3 lovely funny episodes we realize we miss you. We miss your shallow vapid aging characters. We miss Saffy. We love you and want more than 3, how about a big Summer Special or an 11 episode season.

Come back to the BBC Ab Fab.

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

Hey, OP. 1992 called...

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2013

They were funny enough, especially the one with Lindsay Duncan. But it's a bit disturbing how Saffy is still styled in exactly the same way and hasn't changed a bit. She's equally as stupid as Eddie and Patsy. When she actually looked like a uni student her berating them made some sense, even if she was too tightly wound.

I miss Titicaca.

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2013

Take a message, I am in 2013 and won't likely get back to them.

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2013

None of them have changed. Saffy became who she is as a result of her mother and she has never really been on her own.

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2013

I thought the first 2 eps were hilarious and the 3rd pretty weak except for the brilliant shot of Patsy lighting her cigarette on the olympic torch.

I would love more episodes, but I don't think Jennifer needs to bring back everyone under the sun. As long as you have Lumley, Saunders, Sawalha and Horrocks, it's going to be funny. Forget about Bo and Marshall, please.

Another thing I didn't like about Episode 3 was how Patsy succumbed to being old and didn't want to party with Eddy. That seemed completely out of character and ruined the great premise of the Eddy-Patsy relationship: that they'll partying until they literally drop dead.

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2013

[quote] That seemed completely out of character and ruined the great premise of the Eddy-Patsy relationship: that they'll partying until they literally drop dead.

Not to mention that we'd already seen a fast-forward to Eddy and Patsy as very old women still partying. The lack of continuity is Golden Girls-level bad.

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2013

2 out of 3 were funny, and that tells you just how bad Jennifer Saunders is today. She couldn't muster up enough material for 3. The "Olympics" special was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2013

The movie is already in the works, and should go into production this year. Jennifer Saunders is a horrible writer. She has been good since the 90s. It's like she had a concussion or something. She definitely sold out like the rest of her contemporaries in the alternative comedy world. That Spice Girls musical got her slammed from every which way.

At some point, June Whitfield is going to die, or be forced to retire due to ailment. She's almost 90.

Lindsay Duncan's character in the second special is exactly the way Patsy should have resulted in the end. Now, Patsy is just an embarrassing idiot, totally unfabulous.

Anyway, I'm glad Jennifer Saunders is finally getting criticism from the public, a public that kissed her ass for most of the 2000s thanks to her work in the 1990s. She's no longer producing, and she can't get jobs because of it. The BBC scrapped all her non-Ab Fab shows. She's lucky they even agreed to produce 3 specials to commemorate the 20th anniversary.

2001-2004 Ab Fab was atrocious. She lost the plot. With the 2 out of three specials this decade that she did, she somewhat redeemed herself, at least getting the dynamic right, and the tone. The earlier decade's episode were like watching two strangers playing characters from another sitcom. It was too weird, and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2013

I would never call Jennifer Saunders a "horrible" writer. She's inconsistent maybe, going between brilliant and tired/silly, sometimes in the same episode. Tastes differ, but I don't think I've seen any episode written by her (Ab Fab or F&S) that didn't make me laugh, at least a little bit. I haven't seen the Spice Girls thing, but it doesn't sound like a particularly good idea for a musical. Even her lackluster stuff though is still watchable in my book.

She's also great at physical comedy (as are all the actresses on Ab Fab), so even when the writing itself is weak, the bits are still funny. There's nothing inherently brilliant about Bubble screaming while running up the stairs but when Horrocks does it in "Doorhandle," I laugh every freaking time.

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!