Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Elizabeth Warren sworn in as U.S. Senator for Massachusetts

Photo:

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2013

I watched the whole ceremony, both the official swearing in and the mock swearing in that they do in the Old Senate Chamber for photo ops.

In the mock ceremony, one of the Senate aides tried to hand Mazie Hirono, (the Senate's first Buddhist) a bible to place her hand on.

I wish the Senate website was more up to date. There are place-holder pages for all the new senators, but if you try to find your state's Senators, it still lists the ones from the last Congress.

And just because I can, here's Arizona's new bisexual Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema.

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2013

And here's Tammy Baldwin from the mock swearing in.

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2013

[quote]Senate reconvenes with expanded Democratic majority

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2013

[quote]In the mock ceremony, one of the Senate aides tried to hand Mazie Hirono, (the Senate's first Buddhist) a bible to place her hand on.

And then what happened?

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2013

She very politely told the woman that she wouldn't be needing it, and she, Vice President Biden, and her husband chuckled at it.

One of the new Senators with young kids--I think Chris Murphy--was holding his toddler son at the same time Biden was doing the mock swearing. The boy decided he wanted to play too, so he raised his right hand and swore to support and defend the Constitution just like his dad. It was adorable.

Kirsten Gillibrand's youngest son decided he needed to fix her hair, so she was a little distracted.

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2013

The newly sworn Senators also sign a book which contains the oath of office. And each of them is allowed to keep the pen they use, much like the 14 pens the President uses whenever s/he signs a bill.

Texas' new Tea Bag Senator, Ted Cruz, tried to give his pen back to the clerk.

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2013

This is Gillibrand's first full-term as Senator.

Many people don't realize that up until now she was just finishing the term of her predecessor.

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.