Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When did actors start lip-synching in musicals?

It seems the first ones were sung live on film.

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2013

Thanks, OP, for pointing out the contribution of early sound editors in film. Looking at that clip, one can appreciate how they make it seem like the soundtrack is recorded at the same time the filming is done.

by Anonymousreply 101/03/2013

#1, you're telling me Jeannette McDonald is not singing that live?

by Anonymousreply 201/03/2013

No one in that entire clip is singing live. Think about the orchestra and the logistics, just for starters. Do you realize that when you watch Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, the sound of their taps aren't even live? They recorded the taps after the movie had been edited.

by Anonymousreply 301/03/2013

They're all correct, OP, in case you are wondering. You can count on one hand the number of prominent musical films in which the singing was recorded live and used for the release. And the experiments generally have been considered odd in their results.

by Anonymousreply 401/03/2013

Here's the truth: In the VERY early years of sound on film -- I believe just the first one, two, or three years at most -- the singing was recorded live, with a live orchestra on the set (!), because they hadn't figured out there was another way to do it. But they soon figured it out.

I don't know for a fact how much if any of the singing in the LOVE ME TONIGHT clip was done live, but it sure looks to me like at least the beginning of Chevalier's rendition of "Love Me Tonight" was live, and most or all of MacDonald's rendition.

P.S. R3's comment "no one in that entire clip is singing live; think about the orchestra and the logistics" is ignorant. In many cases where singing has been done live in films, the orchestra was either recorded beforehand and the actor sang live to the recorded orchestra track, or in some cases (as in LES MIZ) the actors sang to a piano track and the orchestra was added afterwards.

P.P.S. It's a well known fact that in this clip of "In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening" from HERE COMES THE GROOM (follow link below), Jane Wyman and Bing Crosby are singing live.

by Anonymousreply 501/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 601/03/2013

She is not.

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2013

For so long I can't even remember!

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2013

[quote]They're all correct, OP, in case you are wondering. You can count on one hand the number of prominent musical films in which the singing was recorded live and used for the release

Nope. Even after lip-synching became the norm , there were plenty of numbers that were recorded live for one reason or another. "isn't It a romantic?" In Love Me Tonight, "I Can Do Without You" in Calamity Jane, all of Rex Harrison's songs in My Fair Lady (at his insistence), even a couple of Fred Astaire's numbers - and many many more.

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

Lip-synching dated from the very earliest musicals. I've seen a film clip from the first sound version of "Show Boat" (1929), where the star was miming singing and playing a banjo, while the professional musicians sang and played off-camera.

In those days, lip-synching was done live!

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2013

Even as recent as Evita. "You Must Love Me," was filmed using live vocals from Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2013

Oh, is that what those were, r11? I just know it was one of the most unpleasant sounds I've ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2013

Famously sung live on set

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2013

Eldergay thread.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2013

The magic of Lubitsch!

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2013

And Mamoulian, of course...

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2013

Disney started it.

Go to Disneyland and watch a parade.

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2013

That was cute R5. I didn't know Jane Wyman could sing. When I read the title to that song the tune came immediately into my head. Yet, I'm quite sure I've never seen that picture. Was the song featured in something else?

Bogdanovich did the recording the musical numbers directly thing in "At Long Last Love". It's a daring thing to do, too bad it was wasted in such a crap picture.

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!