Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Patty Smyth and Scandal - "The Warrior"

Shootin' at the walls of heartache, bang bang!

by Anonymousreply 4601/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 101/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 201/03/2013

Patty Smyth was talented but never had the material to match her talent. Here's one of her lesser known singles: "Never Enough."

by Anonymousreply 401/03/2013

Hey R3, go to hell. Not everything needs to be "framed." It's a good '80s pop rock track. If people like it, they'll say so. If not, they'll say that too. It took more energy for you to type those words than it would have taken for your stupid ass to just click "back to threadlist". Oh, and...

FUCK YOU. Raw. In the ass. With NO lube.

by Anonymousreply 501/03/2013

A classic. It ruled the airwaves and video stations in the summer of 1984. Great video too and the campy "Mad Max"-y setting added to its appeal. It deserved all its success.

by Anonymousreply 601/03/2013

It's not a great song but it's lots of fun, especially the BANG BANG. Whenever I see BANG BANG in some other context I think of this song. Hell even when I see the word WARRIOR, I think of it.

by Anonymousreply 701/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 901/03/2013

R8 = Troll.

Get the fuck out of the thread and go jump from the nearest cliff/bridge. You'd be doing those who are unfortunately close to you a HUGE favor.

by Anonymousreply 1001/03/2013

[quote]It's not a great song but it's lots of fun, especially the BANG BANG. Whenever I see BANG BANG in some other context I think of this song. Hell even when I see the word WARRIOR, I think of it.

I love the BANG BANG, lol. She looks gangster when she does it at the end.

by Anonymousreply 1101/03/2013

Seen her many times over the years. In fact, a couple of years ago at B.B. Kings, she was good, unfortunately after a while she sounded strident, like she was oversinging, lacking nuance. And then she brought hubby John McEnroe out for the encore, "Wonderful World" - it sucked. I like "No Mistakes" from the same album as the hit with Don Henley (in fact he sings on it, too).

by Anonymousreply 1201/03/2013

A friend of mine in college thought Patti Smith and Patty Smyth were the same person. She thought the change from "i" to "y" was part of an image update or something.

"Patti Smith" was new to me at the time, and my friend played me some of "Horses" and then some of whatever album that single was on. I surmised they obviously weren't the same person but didn't say anything.

by Anonymousreply 1301/03/2013

That video of The Hooters' "Never Enough" linked above is really good and I like that mix better than the one on the album, thanks~

by Anonymousreply 1501/03/2013

I wonder what life with McEnroe was/is like She helped to raise Tatum O'Neil's kids. I wonder if they got any crazy genes from mom's side (or their father, for that matter).

by Anonymousreply 1601/03/2013

What point, R14? So far, you haven't made any point. What you've done is made yourself out to be an asshole. You seem to be the type of person who gets stomped on in his everyday life, and then takes his frustrations out online to get back at those "bad, bad people!"

I do love that your panties are royally in a bunch because of a thread about Scandal's "The Warrior". There's something hilarious about that.

by Anonymousreply 1801/03/2013

I believe Patti was in talks to replace David Lee Roth in Van Halen before they got Sammy Hagar. That would have been an interesting choice.

Someone in the Youtube comments for "The Warrior" said her voice was sort of like the female Lou Gramm.

by Anonymousreply 1901/03/2013

"Goodbye To You" is another good one.

by Anonymousreply 2101/03/2013

Oh, sure, R20. I think I hit the nail on the head with my "psychoanalyzing." ROFLMAO.

by Anonymousreply 2201/03/2013

Here's her cover of Tom Waits' "Downtown Train." A little overproduced, but not bad. This was from the same album as "Never Enough." Neither song cracked the Top 40.

by Anonymousreply 2301/03/2013

My older sister and her friends used to have special dance to this song; it involved finger-guns! At her school, the tradition was boys cleared the floor for this song and all the girls danced solo.

by Anonymousreply 2401/03/2013

That first solo album was a total flop, I remember people even trashing it at the release party, some story like people there throwing the albums at the wall or something. It has some good stuff, I like her version of the Tom Waits song (she still does it in concert) and she also still does "Heartache Heard 'Round the World".

by Anonymousreply 2501/03/2013

I was a teen in the 80s when this came out. I hated it then and I hate it now. Not a good song.

by Anonymousreply 2601/03/2013

Elfin booties.

by Anonymousreply 2701/03/2013

I remember all the guys commenting on her jiggling beanbag tits when she begins stomping her feet at one point.

by Anonymousreply 2801/03/2013

I like all of her songs that made it to the radio. Even the duet with Don Henley and "No Mistakes." She was considered as a replacement for David Lee Roth to lead Van Halen before Sammy Hagar.

by Anonymousreply 2901/03/2013

She's a fucking hell of a lot less annoying than Patti Smith.

by Anonymousreply 3001/03/2013

Her duet with Don Henley in the early 90s fucking sucked out loud and it was so overplayed. I hated that stupid song. "Goodbye to You" was also shit, but "The Warrior" was okay. Just okay, though.

by Anonymousreply 3101/03/2013

Alison Smith ("Jenny") does a pretty strong version of "Goodbye To You" on an early "Kate & Allie". Great voice and she could have had a legit recording career.

by Anonymousreply 3201/03/2013

I prefer "Goodbye To You" more than the other song.

by Anonymousreply 3301/03/2013

She does a Willie Nile song "Sue Lee" which is fun, again the production is dated. I requested it at B.B. King's and Patty laughed and said "My god, I barely even remember that!" Then something like she'd get the band to learn it. Their reunion was ill fated, the single wasn't very good really. Keith Mack her blonde guitarist and songwriter is hot and a nice guy. I gave him my demo tape at the Ritz in the 80s, it's now Webster Hall.

by Anonymousreply 3401/05/2013

I prefer the Alison Smith version of Goodbye to You. Very nice voice and she was so pretty. Shame she didn't become a bigger deal as an adult. Though she was one of the four Broadway Annies.

by Anonymousreply 3501/05/2013

I loved that duet, R31. You're such a Dustin.

by Anonymousreply 3601/05/2013

That Goodbye To You video was el cheapo. At least there was a budget for The Warror.

by Anonymousreply 3701/05/2013

Here's a great Patty Smyth cover of the Danny Wilde hit, "Isn't It Enough."

This is a song I associate with a guy who broke my heart … I soon realized he was never worth my time.

by Anonymousreply 3801/06/2013

Alison Smith was walking on 9th Ave. with her actor bf and I went up and told her how much I enjoyed her performance of "Goodbye to You" and she was really sweet. Yes, she does a great job. Patty has a song with Glen Burtnik called "Wish That I Were You" which is nice. Her mom owned Cafe Wha on Bleecker St. and she hung out down there and started singing at her mom's club.

by Anonymousreply 3901/06/2013

Well, she certainly never has to work another day in her life again, being Mrs John McEnroe.

by Anonymousreply 4001/06/2013

Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough

by Anonymousreply 4101/06/2013

[quote] Well, she certainly never has to work another day in her life again, being Mrs John McEnroe.

She's working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. She's earning every damn penny. Can you imagine being married to him? You couldn't pay me enough money to do that

by Anonymousreply 4201/06/2013

Both she and Terri Nunn went from fronting otherwise all-male bands to releasing awful first solo albums. They're also very good friends. No commentary, just two random facts.

by Anonymousreply 4301/06/2013

"Goodbye to You" is one of my favorite cheesy 80s party songs. I can't handle "The Warrior" though.

by Anonymousreply 4401/06/2013

Brian Bloom I believe was the actor boyfriend of Alison Smith.

by Anonymousreply 4501/06/2013

He sure was, R45.

by Anonymousreply 4601/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!