Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Seriously, I want to know

I want to know why so many of us idolize fraus like Bette Midler, Cher, Barbra, Britney and Beyonce when they clearly despise all the other fraus including the ones on Datalounge and at the same time they don't support or idolize actual gay singers? What the actual f*ck?

by Anonymousreply 8001/04/2013

I have wondered why bland singers such as those listed are idolized at all, 'seriously'.

by Anonymousreply 101/03/2013

I want to know ... why I had NEVER heard "frau" used by native English speakers until I came to Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 201/03/2013

I want to know why you keep talking in generalizations. Not every gay man idolizes these singers. Not every gay man despises women. Datalounge is not a strong subset of any particular group.

by Anonymousreply 301/03/2013

and why the term "fag hag" which is disparaging not only for the woman but for the gays they like to hang with. Why is it a crime to enjoy the company of gays if you're a straight woman?

by Anonymousreply 501/03/2013

What is this 'hissing' Eldergays shit?

by Anonymousreply 601/03/2013

R5,

There's so much more to being a fag hag than that...

by Anonymousreply 801/03/2013

R5, it is demeaning to choose gay friends to hang with in the same way as choosing to hang with black friends because they are black.

by Anonymousreply 901/03/2013

In music, I idealized Kurt Cobain, Elliott Smith, Kim Gordon, and Michael Stipe. Yes, I'm a child of the 90s.

The pervasiveness of pop princess music has always been an absolute mystery to me. I don't get any of it. They say nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1001/03/2013

R9 huh?

by Anonymousreply 1101/03/2013

OP, you don't understand the term "frau." It's not just a synonym for "female" but means a certain type of boring, middle-class, middle-aged female. There's the hausfrau (meaning housewife) and then there's the cubefrau (pink-collar office employee.)

The women you are describing are not run-of-the-mill women but major stars. "Divas" might be a better term.

Do you really prefer Melissa Ethridge to Bette Midler? Really?

by Anonymousreply 1201/03/2013

I totally read the OP wrong. My bad. I have no opinion on the subject...

*backs away from the thread*

by Anonymousreply 1301/03/2013

Jesus you're all boring.

A lot of singers cultivated a following by pretending to mother the disenfranchised - Lady Gaga as just the latest example. See also: literally every other female performer ever.

In the meantime, some had such tragedies in their own lives, addictions they couldn't beat, lovers who were unfaithful, that we in turn identified with them on a more personal level than if we'd known them.

The cycle feeds on itself until there is practically a cult around Cher, Babs, etc.

Ultimately it never really hurt anyone.

by Anonymousreply 1401/03/2013

R5. there is a difference between friends and hags, though often the distinction doesn't become apparent until the relationship is over.

R9 is not that far off the mark when it comes to the definition of hag. If it doesn't apply to you then you're not a hag.

by Anonymousreply 1601/03/2013

oh R9 I see what you're saying now. But you're assuming that's why they're hanging with them. I guess that would be a real "fag hag"? A woman who chooses to hang out with gays because they're gay and not because she actually just enjoys their company? Well then I guess you're right there.

by Anonymousreply 1701/03/2013

Nobody has an answer to the original question?

by Anonymousreply 1801/03/2013

hey OP, give me one good hardcore gay song.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2013

R15 I've been asking this question for years. Why are gay men so happy to support talentless idiots like Britney, Rihanna, etc, who do nothing for gay people except take their money, but don't support out gay singers? It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2013

r15, men singing about loving men, losing men, etc., is relatively new (and, of those you mentioned, only 2 -- Ocean and Wainwright -- regularly sing such songs). As a result, many -- not all, but many -- gay men have responded to female singers because they were the ones who gave voice to our experiences -- "The Man That Got Away," "The Way We Were," etc.

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2013

OP - I do not idolise anyone on your list so not all of us are interested in these flacid "gay icons".

by Anonymousreply 2301/04/2013

Who the fuck idolizes Beyonce, OP?

At least around here, I've seen nothing but scorn for her and her fake pillow pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 2401/04/2013

Okay, I'll bite the real issue of this thread -- Streisand and Cher and Britney provide entertainment from far away and, far as I can tell, have done nothing to hurt me or my fellow gays, for that matter.

Women in general -- fraus, if you will -- have been a major headache/heartache if I look back over my life. Either professionally by being dishonorable and owing me money, personally with backstabbing and gossip and, to the extreme, some truly awful cunt behavior like sleeping with the guy I confessed to be in love with (one room down so I could hear it all and without apology... pure female poison/competition).

I'm not even sure I could come up with one man who did any of this to me, certainly none that professed to be friends. No frat brothers when we were dating women, no shark businessmen (they honored every contract)... and I could fill this forum with more examples.

Disappointing because I treat women as people uncomplicated with sex and those games. Now, I admit, I look at a great many of them with contempt. "Get the fuck out of my way."

by Anonymousreply 2501/04/2013

Please do not lump truly talented women in with a crop of untalented messes like spastic, wailing Beyonce, and poor Britney. People embraced Barbra because she was an original - and truly, unquestionably blessed with an unbelievably amazing voice. Bette was unique - funny, raunchy, and a lightning bolt onstage. Even Cher, who's voice was only so-so, became a fashion icon, in her day, and proved herself a wonderful actress. Beyonce has proved herself an adequate actress, an OK singer, and has no real personality to speak of. Britney's on Meds, Rhinna's just stupid - and a p.r. whore, Kesha is an auto-tune hack, etc. Need I go on ?

by Anonymousreply 2601/04/2013

Of course. But had to work with/hang with women too along the way. Read the thread's topic again, douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 2801/04/2013

My comment was to your last sentence, idiot @ R28. It's hilarious that you say only the women in your life have been backstabbing, gossiping, thieving cunts. Any reasonable person to assume you have never dated or befriended a GAY MAN.

by Anonymousreply 2901/04/2013

The most irritating MOMMY ISSUES come from the MOMMIES themselves, the ones who come here expecting special treatment because they got knocked up like any dog or cat, and then have the audacity to place themselves at the center of everything.

by Anonymousreply 3001/04/2013

R5, most gay men in real life do not dislike women (even "fraus") to the psychotic extent that the same handful of pathetic posters on DL would have you believe. Most gay men get along just fine with women and have many female friends/family/etc. In general, DL brings out the worst, most bitchy side in people, and this is not indicative of the real world.

by Anonymousreply 3101/04/2013

Cher and Bette Midler do not belong on your list, OP. They have more talent than the other wannabes and their longevity in the business proves it. Cher has supported gay causes and she.has a transgendered son. Bette, off and on over the years, has as well. Jeez, do your homework before you accuse.

by Anonymousreply 3201/04/2013

OP, how DARE YOU!?

by Anonymousreply 3301/04/2013

Take a pill and calm the fuck down, R30.

by Anonymousreply 3401/04/2013

R31 I see what you mean. Thanks for your response.

by Anonymousreply 3501/04/2013

Idiotic question does not merit a response.

by Anonymousreply 3601/04/2013

It's clear to me that nobody is reading anybody else's posts - we've had at least three people explain this in the same exact way.

by Anonymousreply 3701/04/2013

[quote]Nobody has an answer to the original question?

No, because the premise of the question is invalid.

by Anonymousreply 3801/04/2013

I'm not the butchest guy around, but I have never understood the "diva worship" mentality either. Like I said, I am as gay as the next guy, but I have never found Streisand, Midler, Madonna, Cher or Diana Ross music appealing. I grew up in the 70s, on Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Ramones. None of the gay men I know are into the "diva types". I lived in New York City for a few years and did know a few guys who were into that stuff, but most of them were very pretentious and shallow. I've never understood the stereotype because I've known very few men who got off to that syrupy shit.

by Anonymousreply 3901/04/2013

I think most women who become gay icons suffered some sort of adversity and overcame it. They were a weaker minority in a world dominated by men, were almost crushed by it, but survived stronger than before. Gay men related to that or wanted to. I don't think it holds true so much anymore, but that's my understand of how we chose our icons several decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 4001/04/2013

I'm way more of an Eagles guy than I ever was Streisand. Honestly, I find her repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 4101/04/2013

I'm gay and I love Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone Age, System of a Down and Rage Against the Machine. No divas in my Ipod.

by Anonymousreply 4201/04/2013

Well, Trent Reznor is kinda a diva.

by Anonymousreply 4301/04/2013

I've always been into The Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Stones, Zeppelin, Eagles, Rush... No Liza for me

by Anonymousreply 4401/04/2013

You know what I hate? Gay guys who are proud that they don't have stereotypical qualities, like a penchant for divas. Honey, you're still gay. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 4501/04/2013

I am a walking stereotype and proud of it. I love Britney, Madonna, Cher, Diana, Bette, Babs, Gaga, Judy, and especially Liza. Reason: these women love and care about me. Everything they do is for me and my gay brothers and sisters. What did the fucking Eagles ever do for gay rights? Not a fucking thing, girlfriend. They hate you because you're gay and a "pervert". What did Led Zepplin ever dofor anyone except sing except that racist southern pride rock shit like Sweet Home Alabama? My "DIVAS" as you call them, worship us. Their music will far out-live that hetero rock trash which will be forgotten in ten years time. Bitches, please.

by Anonymousreply 4601/04/2013

R46:

Since you are tossing around the "Bitch, pleases", I'm going to throw one back to you. Lynyrd Skynyrd did the "southern pride rock" and sang "Sweet Home Alabama"... Not Led ZeppElin. Zep was a British band (and quite liberal, I might add). Educate yourself, buddy.

by Anonymousreply 4701/04/2013

R45 I DO have a lot of "stereotypical gay qualities" (I'm FAR from butch), I just do not have a penchant for lounge music or wailing divas. I do not think I am better than anyone else because of that, but I just let it be known that we're not all "cookie-cutter" people who all like the same music and have all the same interests. Respectfully.

by Anonymousreply 4801/04/2013

[quote] What did Led Zepplin ever dofor anyone except sing except that racist southern pride rock shit like Sweet Home Alabama?

Not sure if serious...?

by Anonymousreply 4901/04/2013

I LIVE FOR BEYONCE

by Anonymousreply 5001/04/2013

R49 I love "Fool In The Rain". THAT was an artistic triumph. Good choice and good taste, my friend!

by Anonymousreply 5101/04/2013

R51, I was obsessed with the meter and polyrhythmic groove in this song when I was 12. My family was poor, and I didn't have access to musical instruments or education, but having music like this to listen to and analyze in the 70s kept my imagination active.

by Anonymousreply 5201/04/2013

oh yes. you hetero-wannabe rockers are so much better than us bottom-feeding Liza worshipping queens. i tremble in your presence becuase of your greatness.

by Anonymousreply 5301/04/2013

R53 At least you're clear on that. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 5401/04/2013

[quote]Do you really prefer Melissa Ethridge to Bette Midler? Really?

I think you and your kind would be surprised by the numbers of us on DL for whom this is true.

by Anonymousreply 5501/04/2013

Do any of you guys really listen to Britney Spears? She was popular for about 7 minutes in 1999. What the fuck has she done since then? Just shaving her head and X-Factor. Certainly NOTHING for gay rights. She's a selfish party girl with no regard for anyone or anything but herself. Her music was trash, on par with the "classics" by Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Simpson and Hannah Fucking Montana. Bubblegum tripe.

by Anonymousreply 5601/04/2013

R55 AMEN! Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 5701/04/2013

Yeah, even most of the elder gays I know are not into Judy Garland or Liza or any of that. A few are, but it's a minority of gay men. I think it's mostly guys in NYC and "artsy" areas that are into those women. Surely none of the people my age (25-ish) like that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5801/04/2013

I live in NYC and am over 40.

I cannot imagine a gay man under 25 in NYC who is an ardent Liza or Bette fan. I don't think they have much idea or interest in who they are.

by Anonymousreply 5901/04/2013

I'm 38 and I'm into The Killers, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers and things like that. Even dudes I know who are ten or fifteen years older than me aren't into Bette, Madonna, etc. I'm sure a large number of gay men are into them, bless their hearts, but I just am not aware of their legions of fans.

by Anonymousreply 6001/04/2013

LOL, the only man I know that listens to Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler and Cher is my oldest brother. He is 49, straight, married, ultra-butch, and works on an oil platform. I am 45, gay, not butch and I love Alternative rock, classic rock and Industrial. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 6101/04/2013

I think some gay men who grew up genuinely oppressed see the "divas" as some sort of unifying, expressive force for all of us. Which is sweet, in theory.

But a lot of us have outgrown them. I can appreciate the art of, say, the young Barbra Streisand, but have no use for her current work, or for her as some symbol or ally. I can tell my own story better than a 70-year-old woman in a spangly dress can, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 6201/04/2013

At work they play the radio and keep it set on the "adult contemporary" station. The women in the office are always assuming that, because I am gay, that I know everything about the songs of Bette, Barbra, Pink, etc. They'll hear a song playing and ask me what year it came out, or if a trivia question is asked on air, they will assume I know the answer. I know less about that stuff than they do.

by Anonymousreply 6301/04/2013

The statement/question by the OP is essentially an unhinged rant that cannot be answered. Elements of the statement have nothing to do with each other or the the subjective tastes of people including the OP's stereotype for gay men.

by Anonymousreply 6401/04/2013

I can appreciate the talent of most of the people the OP listed (except Britney and Beyonce), but they hold no place in my heart. My heart lies with Nirvana, R.E.M., U2, Metallica, Melissa Etheridge, Soundgarden, The Killers, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Queen, The Beatles, Dream Theater and Pink Floyd. I respect everyone elses taste, but it does not reflect my own.

by Anonymousreply 6501/04/2013

If all gays listen to those ladies then I guess I'm an anomaly, because I listen to roots rock, jazz and country music.

by Anonymousreply 6801/04/2013

[quote] I love Britney, Madonna, Cher, Diana, Bette, Babs, Gaga, Judy, and especially Liza. Reason: these women love and care about me.

They are/were extremely well known/successful performers, who have presumably promoted their music in regions/to people who have the money/interest to buy their music and to attend their concerts. As performers become more successful, however, presumably the extent to which they know particular fans reduces and the extent to which they have problematic fans increases. So their opportunity to 'love' and 'care about' fans would seem to change dramatically.

Less well known performers have a much better chance of knowing a greater percentage of their fans. And although they can also have problematic fans, they can also interact with fans in a more on-going and, in some cases, develop real friendships.

by Anonymousreply 6901/04/2013

OP - I think a more interesting question is why you can't type the word fuck with out that douchey little *.

by Anonymousreply 7001/04/2013

Anybody who idolizes Britney Spears is a dumb twat.

by Anonymousreply 7101/04/2013

R46 You are delusional if you actually think those women give a flying fuck about YOU and the rest of their fans. They care about how much cash you're going to grease their palms with. Otherwise, you're nothing to them. As someone who has been around musical performers from all genres, I can tell you this is the case for most of them. There are exceptions, however, most of the ones you named (especially, say Madonna) don't give a good god damn about you. Sad, but true.

by Anonymousreply 7201/04/2013

R71 Agreed!

by Anonymousreply 7301/04/2013

R72 - Absolutely perfect. You expressed my sentiments exactly. Several have done good things to help gays over the years, but the rest can suck my ass through a straw (Britney, Madonna, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 7401/04/2013

Some of you cling hard to stereotypes you claim to abhor.

And some are hypocritically prejudiced beyond belief.

Sad all around.

by Anonymousreply 7501/04/2013

madonna loves the gay community. anybody who says she doesnt is a liar and a twat

by Anonymousreply 7601/04/2013

R76

I beg to differ. Madonna does not care for anyone but herself. She likes to occasionally jack-off the gay community to make us think she supports us, but she doesn't give a fuck about us.

by Anonymousreply 7701/04/2013

A few of the gay singers I support include Freddie Mercury, Rob Halford and Melissa Etheridge & Elton John. Love 'em.

by Anonymousreply 7801/04/2013

I'm proud NOT to be a stereotype. I listen exclusively to 70s/80s DISCO LOL. I am what I am, and FUCK THE HATERS. PS: I loved Barbra when she went disco too (Main Event, Enough is Enough, etc.). SO FUCK OFF if you have a problem with me being a stereotype. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 7901/04/2013

"Why always the females?"

I don't know, why do you like certain colors over others?

There's just something in the female voice that I hear and respond to, that in the male voice leaves me cold.

I know Sinatra is great, but I prefer Ella.

I know Tony Bennett is wonderful but I like Peggy Lee better.

Why ask why?

by Anonymousreply 8001/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.