Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Godchaux Sugar

Those you from the Gulf South, wouldn't you agree this sugar tasted a little sweeter than all the others, especially that Yankee sugar, Domino.

Better than Colonial, Dixie Crystals, and Imperial, too.

I miss Godchaux Sugar and Godchaux's Department Store.

by Anonymousreply 3001/04/2013

Remember Ballard flour?

by Anonymousreply 101/03/2013

Yankee sugar? WTF? Did the other brands own slaves and fight for the confederacy? WTfuckityfuckfuck-F???

Southerners are the most backwards assholes on the planet. The US should have let them go, they're an embarrassment to America.

by Anonymousreply 201/03/2013

Of course Yankees can't do sugar right. Nothing sweet about Yankees.

by Anonymousreply 301/03/2013

I've never noticed the difference in any brand of sugar, but if it doesn't say "pure cane sugar" it does not taste right. Apparently it is beat sugar unless it is labeled as "cane", and beat sugar does not have as much flavor. Soda pop and other manufactured products are sweetened with corn syrup nowadays, and the products are all inferior to when I was young.

by Anonymousreply 401/03/2013

[quote]and the products are all inferior to when I was young.

When Pepsi was a nickel, gramps?

by Anonymousreply 501/03/2013

r2 is a lonely, bitter Yankee who could use some sugar.

by Anonymousreply 601/03/2013

It was CocaCola for me, R5, but it was a nickel until I was in the 4th grade.

by Anonymousreply 701/03/2013

Maybe those Yankees @ Domino Sugar stretch their "sugar" with plain ole NaCl.

Who can say they don't?

by Anonymousreply 801/03/2013

Ballard Flour -- never heard of it.

Where was it sold?

My father (b. 1913) used to fondly recall Uneeda Biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

[quote]Apparently it is beat sugar...

"I saw the most unsweetened minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked for sucrose, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix of real cane..."

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2013

lol, r10

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2013

[quote]beat sugar

Never mind, I can't improve on R10.

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2013

W&W for r10!!

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2013

Additional info about French Jewish immigrant Leon Godchaux and his Godchaux Sugar Refining Company:

1) Leon owned no slaves before the Civil War. Most of his Louisiana sugar plantations were acquired after the war. (This for the South Hater at R2)

2) His sugarcane plantations were connected to each other and the central sugar refinery by his own private railroad. At least one of the Godchaux locomotives is STILL in service, in California, at Disney Land in Anaheim.

3) Cookies, cakes, pies, and good old iced tea sure seemed to taste sweeter with Godchaux's sugar.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2013

In other words, Godchaux bloomed during Reconstruction.

That doesn't sit well with many Southerners.

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2013

I not only miss Godchaux, I miss Gayfers and D. H. Holmes. Those were the days!

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2013

Why would you think that, R15?

Leon was Southerner before the war, not some goddamn Yankee carpetbagger moving down after the war to pick at the South's bones.

People needed to move on from the war and start work again .. and Leon helped immensely in this regard.

Plus he was a successful merchant on Canal Street and employed people there.

Leon Godchaux was a job creator in the finest sense.

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2013

Godchaux's Department store was big for a century in Fresno, California. Don't know why Louisiana and Fresno. Except for the racism, the two have nothing in common.

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2013

Duke's mayo is better as is Carmellia brand red beans. The south does food better than the north.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2013

It's true that beet sugar doesn't taste as good as cane sugar.

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2013

Domino's Sugar does have a sugar refinery plant in Louisiana. So Southerners show your pride in Domino's!

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2013

Imperial Sugar is grown and harvested with slave labor, as well as child labor even to this day in the Dominican Republic.

by Anonymousreply 2201/04/2013

This thread is why I am rich.

by Anonymousreply 2301/04/2013

GODCHAUX PRALINES (pronounced "prawleens")

3 cups Godchaux light brown sugar

1/4 cup butter

1 1/2 cups chopped pecan meats

1 cup cream

1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Mix the sugar, butter and cream and cook until a small quantity dropped in cold water forms a soft ball. Add the chopped pecan meats and cinnamon. Beat until almost cold, then drop by spoonful onto waxed paper.

by Anonymousreply 2401/04/2013

Funny how R2 reinforces the coarse Yankee stereotype by trying to reinforce the ignorant southerner stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 2501/04/2013

For those of you unfamiliar with the pronunciation of "Godchaux," I've heard it spoken two ways and they're subtle variations.

If you're from New Orleans, locals there pronounced it this way: to my ear it sounded more like "God-shahs" sugar or "God-shah's" Department Store.

If you're upstate or out-of-state, as I was growing up, we pronounced it as "God-shaw" sugar.

by Anonymousreply 2601/04/2013

You kids ain't tasted nothin' sweet until you've tasted Lipschitz's Sugar. Made right here on Rivington, fifth floor, 5-B. My Bubbe used to put one crystal into her cup, and the tea was sweet all the ways through the pot.

Now THAT'S sweet, you Yam People.

by Anonymousreply 2701/04/2013

Chemically beat and cane sugar are the same thing.

In blind taste test, people can't even tell the difference between corn syrup and sugar made products.

You people are paying more for your biases.

by Anonymousreply 2801/04/2013

R28, anyone who can't tell the difference between beet sugar, cane sugar, and corn sweetener is just not trying, and is probably being paid by the corn syrup industry to participate in the taste test.

by Anonymousreply 2901/04/2013

I beg to differ, r28.

Differences may be subtle but they're significant. Corn syrup and sugar are extremely different, right down to the way they effect the brain and body. Often it can be hard to articulate, or for some people even notice, the differences but they're there. I'm guessing the research you're referring to was sponsored by some HFCS company, the same one responsible for those odd ads a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 3001/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!