Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I need help from you Gaylings!

First of all, I'll mention up front that I was the author of thread where I couldn't tell whether the chatty guy was gay (and interested) or not.

Just now, I had lunch at a joint where the twenty-something bartender and I chatted about foodie stuff, a passion of his along with old TV shows. He lives with his girlfriend. Fine.

A three some of two guys and a gal came in, apparently known to him, and I heard them chatting about football and other stuff that didn't really interest me. And then, a scene occurred that floored 52 year old suburban-raised homo moi. The bartender took of the wedding-ish ring on his right hand, saying it didn't fit him, the other guys (and possibly the gal, too!) tried it on, with him offering to either give it away, or sell, because it didn't really fit him. Straight men trying on each others jewelry??????? Do heterosexual young people really engage in this kind of public behavior? On my way out, I had a chat with the one guy and his significant other (the third "single" guy had left) about food. They were going to be having risotto-stuffed peppers, so I ask whether he would be making the risotto the hard way, to which he replied, "Of course!" like "What kind of slacker do you think I am!"

Did I run across a particularly ... gay-appearing sample, or is this par for the course with straight kids today?

And, no, I wasn't salivating over them like the Wolf and Red Riding Hood!

by OPreply 3101/05/2013

Sorry, what, OP? I fell asleep.

by OPreply 101/03/2013

OP - You might have come across as rather needy. Most people don't spend such a lot of time chatting up everyone in a bar. And many people are irritated by people who insist on butting in and making conversation.

by OPreply 201/03/2013

Fair enough

by OPreply 301/03/2013

Him exchanging Rings with another male, doesn't make him gay. Where they hipsters? U sound older than 52

by OPreply 401/03/2013

I suppose you could say there were hipsters, whatever that means. I didn't mean that they were gay themselves, just that it struck me as very gay brhavior. I am, indeed, 52.

by OPreply 501/03/2013

Completely normal hipster behavior.

by OPreply 601/03/2013

by OPreply 701/03/2013

Nothing shocking unless they were trading cockrings

by OPreply 801/03/2013

Yup sounds like you had an hipster encounter. Boys nowadays are more open, I know a guy who is straight and even a lil of a redneck yet he has no problem saying if a guy looks good or not.

by OPreply 901/03/2013

Younger people don't give a shit if you're gay. Nor are they as hung up on things like the ring incident. They are much friendlier to gay men, too. I strike up conversations with young straight guys on airplanes, in bars, etc. I don't take them for gay. At work, young straight guys go to lunch with me with no qualms. Guys over 40 won't go unless another straight guy comes along. It's just a different world. Thank God!

by OPreply 1001/03/2013

Floored? Really?

by OPreply 1101/03/2013

Yeah, I was floored by straight guys trying on another guy's ring like that. These hipsters are nice fellows (as was the young woman, too), but I wanted to know if this was some sort of hyper-kewl subset?

by OPreply 1201/03/2013

[quote]Him exchanging Rings with another male, doesn't make him gay. Where they hipsters? U sound older than 52

Why is rings capitalized? How did you confuse where for were?

by OPreply 1301/03/2013

OP, your syntax is annoying.

Can you you speak/write without the gay urbane "voice."

by OPreply 1401/03/2013

get a blog

by OPreply 1501/03/2013

If I ever hear the word "gaylings" in real life I'm going to start punching and never, ever stop.

by OPreply 1601/03/2013

I don't like the terms Gayling and Eldergay either, but them to be preferred here.

[R14] ... ummm ... that's who I am, so I'm puzzled I should write in a voice that's not mine?

I have thought of a blog, so thanks for the suggestion [R15].

by OPreply 1701/03/2013

"You might have come across as rather needy" That's my biggest fear whenever I interact with the gaylings at work. I don't mean to exhaust their patience, it's just that I was the only openly gay man at my office for over a decade (I moved from the NY Tri-State metro area to a flyover city) and I never had any gay friends growing up or as an adult

by OPreply 1801/03/2013

[quote]Straight men trying on each others jewelry??????? Do heterosexual young people really engage in this kind of public behavior?

Are you for real? You relate one incident, with one ring, and you make it sound like a cultural movement with straight guys "ooooohing and aaaaaahing over the Joan Rivers Collection.

[quote]And, no, I wasn't salivating over them like the Wolf and Red Riding Hood!

You make it sound like that's exactly what you were doing.

by OPreply 1901/03/2013

The alleged straight guy also squealed about cooking his own risotto.

I'm only a Generation X'er and social behavior like that in my college days meant one thing: he's a faygeleh.

Hopefully these modern "open" straight men also don't mind, and don't react harshly, to advances from men.

by OPreply 2001/03/2013

You're kinda harsh [R19]. I was interested in the way they behaved, but it wasn't sexual was my point. I suppose I over-reacted, and that straight guys get into jewelry as a matter of course; my bad.

[R20] - I can't believe folks don't assume these guys aren't gay either. But, Seattle is chock full of hipsters, so I've learned to assume that most are straight. He didn't so much squeal of the risotto as make a displeased face at the idea of faking it via shortcut. Hipsters and Metros are REALLY into this foodie stuff!

by OPreply 2101/03/2013

OP, mind if I ask if you're the guy who posts here under the name charlie? I usually like what he has to say...

by OPreply 2201/03/2013

Sounds like a coven of bisexuals to me.

by OPreply 2301/04/2013

I'm sorry that was rude. I meant to say, a covey of bisexuals, which is, I believe, the correct usage.

by OPreply 2401/04/2013

R22 I am not Charlie, but thanks for the compliment (I think?).

by OPreply 2501/04/2013

OP please never post anything again

by OPreply 2601/04/2013

This story would have been more exciting if the guys were checking out each others anal rings

by OPreply 2701/04/2013

So kind R26. Not everyone is as worldy-wise as you. Point taken that only the young, buff, and hot should participate though.

by OPreply 2801/04/2013

Eldergay is a thing here. There's just one demented queen trying to make gayling happen.

by OPreply 2901/04/2013

R29 - either take ESL classes, or less drugs.

by OPreply 3001/04/2013

I like "gayling" and have used the term myself. It's cute and harmless.

I'd say in 2013 that straight men are allowed to cook, enjoy cooking, and occasionally, even talk about it. And that risotto is hardly something rare: most 20-somethings grew up eating it.

by OPreply 3101/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!