Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My sister just named her newborn son Fieldston.

The older kid is Cranston. These names are ridiculous. Whatever happened to "Michael" and "Joseph"? I haven't a clue as to where this dimwit came up with these names. They're nowhere in her or her hub's family line; her maiden name is Scheinberg! They live in a wealthy town in Westchester County, NY. Ya just know these two brats are going to grow up to the two most entitled douches to ever inhabit Westchester County, and that's saying a lot.

by Anonymousreply 8401/04/2013

I have to agree with you OP, I think those names are ridiculous. I don't know where some of these parents come up with these names for their kids. I understand that parents want to give their kids an original name, but when almost all the kids have "unique, original, special or beautiful" names, the kids names quit being unique.

It would be interesting to see how these kids turn out, and how many of these kids change their names once they turn 18.

I work on the labor, delivery and (cesarian) surgery floor in a large hospital, and we've heard some of the most god-awful names. We've been keeping a file on the worst baby names for about the last five years. I'll post the list when I'm done with my shift in about 30 minutes. After seeing some of those bad baby names, Cranston and Fieldston might not seem quite so bad.

by Anonymousreply 101/03/2013

$50 says she'll still be breastfeeding them when they're in middle school.

by Anonymousreply 201/03/2013

Looking forward to R1's list!

by Anonymousreply 301/03/2013

Where was this woman's husband?

by Anonymousreply 401/03/2013

Such nice Waspy names. She's hoping that she will be able to live in the guest house when they get their places in Greenwich.

by Anonymousreply 501/03/2013

She's just being klassy.

by Anonymousreply 601/03/2013

My friend named her girls Courtney, Lindsey and Whitney. Another named them Jae (girl) and Hudson (boy).

by Anonymousreply 701/03/2013

I want to adopt a kid just so he can beat those kids up.

by Anonymousreply 801/03/2013

Reminds me of an old joke - a little girl was in the store with her mom and she she kept saying, "And there's my name. There's my name and there's my name...."

Mom yelled out, "Clinique, get over here."

by Anonymousreply 901/03/2013

OMG [R9]! That's some hilarious shit!

by Anonymousreply 1001/03/2013

Nevaeh.

by Anonymousreply 1101/03/2013

Sing "Have an EGG ROLL, Mr Fieldston"

by Anonymousreply 1201/03/2013

So maybe their last name is Smith or Jones. Not so bad.

by Anonymousreply 1301/03/2013

Ugh! Why would a Jewish family try to pretend to be WASPs? Trying too hard. If they think that by naming them WASPy names they'll be granted admittance into the WASP world of Greenwich (or elsewhere) they are sadly mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 1401/03/2013

LOL, I was just having this conversation with another 40-something guy today. We said the same thing as OP. Whatever happened to Michael and Matthew and Joseph? I have laughed in people's faces at work when they tell me some of the names they come up with. It's one thing if the name is from their family. But the younger women in particular just try too hard to be "cool" with the names. Epic fail time and again.

by Anonymousreply 1501/03/2013

Westchester. That about says everything we need to know.

by Anonymousreply 1601/03/2013

[quote]My friend named her girls Courtney, Lindsey and Whitney.

I don't get how those are so terrible.

by Anonymousreply 1701/03/2013

Fieldston and Cranston OP?

Have you whispered in her ear that she's just given them a ticket to gayness for infinity?

by Anonymousreply 1801/03/2013

I hate hate hate Westchester. It's a horrible county that I'd guess to say is mostly repukes.

I'm from there and I hate going back to visit family. All over priced box house and guidos

by Anonymousreply 1901/03/2013

Courtney Cox

Lindsay Lohan

Whitney Houston

by Anonymousreply 2001/03/2013

Aren't those brands of towels and bedding?

by Anonymousreply 2101/03/2013

Jewish tradition is to name a newborn after an honored ancestor. Common to Anglicize the name or pick a close variation. Wonderful new practice is to remember a victim of "911" who had no descendants, by appropriating his/her name. If your sister can listen to common sense, suggest that she use Fieldston as the middle name only. Many WASPs use a family name or Mother's last name in that manner. Warn her that her child will soon by picking his/her own nickname, when the teasing becomes too hard to bear.

by Anonymousreply 2201/03/2013

As a breedfrau, I belong to a few "birthclubs" and the women, with no hint of shame, will say that she and her husband went through the white pages and picked an interesting last name for their kid's first, middle and second and third middle names. No joke. I named my kid John Lewis. None of them are in the top 100 most popular names and I got a nice card and autographed book from the Congressman. Witherspoon is a big one. As well as Atkins, Smith, Myer and Hogan. Fucking terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2301/03/2013

John Lewis is an up-themselves department store in the UK. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 2401/03/2013

My sister and her husband are secular Jewish, but they follow the traditional convention of using the first intital of the deceased person. Cranston was named after our late grandfather Charles (who was raised Orthodox Jewish and actually went by his Hebrew name Chaim [pronounced Hi-yim] for the first 20 years of his life). Why they didn't name him Charles or something less pretentious than Cranston is a mystery. I know that Fieldston is being named after my brother-in-law's deceased aunt Francine, who died young. Again, they could've chosen a less pretentious name than Fieldston. They live in Larchmont, which is home to a lot of Jewish people who like to pretend they're country club WASPs.

My brother-in-law is actually from Bronxville. He was from of the few Jewish families there. If you know Bronxville, you know that they're very "selective" in who can and cannot live there.

by Anonymousreply 2501/03/2013

"They live in Larchmont, which is home to a lot of Jewish people who like to pretend they're country club WASPs."

My very first thought when I saw this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2601/03/2013

I like names that are bit out of the box. But Fieldston and Cranston sound like stops on the tube in northern Manchester.

by Anonymousreply 2701/03/2013

Good lord, they aren't wasp names. They're embarrassing imitations. Just like fake french ghetto names.

by Anonymousreply 2801/03/2013

I think they are lovely names, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2901/03/2013

What's wrong with Ira or Maury?

by Anonymousreply 3001/03/2013

Larchmont - well that says it all.

by Anonymousreply 3101/03/2013

Your relatives certainly won't appreciate you putting out all their personal information on the internet...where they live, their kid's names, why they're named that way, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3201/03/2013

Don't feel bad OP...the newest member in our (extended) family is Sterling. Sigh.....

by Anonymousreply 3301/03/2013

I refuse to believe Fieldston's mom is your sister. Your first post talks about her family not having such names but you wrote as if you aren't a member of the same family. How come?

You're a nasty, bitter bitch if you can talk about your nephews like this (one of them a newborn, no less). Laugh at the names but the venom...not cool.

by Anonymousreply 3401/03/2013

Remember the guy who posted that he & his partner were expecting twins via a surrogate & had chosen Douglas as a girl's name? He was offended at DL's reaction.

The babies are probably here by now. I hope they're both boys (& that neither is named Feldspar or what have you).

by Anonymousreply 3501/03/2013

I wonder how long it's going to take the hopefully very intelligent little girl to pronounce her name correctly, when asked. I can't even imagine a sensible abbreviation. OP, Maybe you could help by making up a cute nickname for each to use instead of their silly real name.

by Anonymousreply 3601/03/2013

In the 90s there was a short-lived tradition of certain newcomers naming their kids after upscale neighborhoods and suburbs. Someone saw "Chelsea" Clinton and thought naming their kid Scarsdale would give them a leg up.

by Anonymousreply 3701/03/2013

OP, let's hope the cognitive deficits your sister evidences is not hereditary.

I worked in health statistics for years, and collected birth certificates as part of the process. Millions of them - there's a long section on the pregancy and maternal and newborn health at the bottom that no one ever sees except researchers.

Anyway, the names! My all-time favorite, during the Star Trek - The Next Generation years, was Zhawn Luke.

And a Vietnamese girl named Phuc.

And - this is the truth - a girl the parents named "Female," rhymed with Tamale, because the mother saw the chart and thought the hospital had named the baby for her. I checked on this and the hospital staff were contacted to verify. No matter what they said, the mother refused to change it.

by Anonymousreply 3801/03/2013

I cannot understand giving names that are nicknames to children. I have come across Jakes and Jacks who are not Johns and Jennies who are not Jennifers.

I have a family member with an Italian surname who named her youngest daughter Ashley. Other family members with a similar Italian surname have given Irish first names to their children.

by Anonymousreply 3901/03/2013

My cousin just named her baby Dan obviously 3 extra letters were too much for her

by Anonymousreply 4001/03/2013

For a while the trend was to give old fashioned names like Sophia, Molly, Henry, and Cora. Then all the Madison and Jayden shit started.

by Anonymousreply 4101/03/2013

Fieldston sounds like a proprietary drainage system and Cranston is too close to Branston for me to think of it as anything other than a brand of pickles and chutneys. There are so many beautiful & traditional Hebrew names that are also becoming very popular with the waspish set that there is no need to saddle your kids with names they have to go through life explaining to people, if being waspy is important to you.

by Anonymousreply 4201/03/2013

Those names will barely get them on the wait list for Iona Prep!

by Anonymousreply 4301/03/2013

If I ever have kids, these will be their names (feel free to borrow):

Optimus Prime

Illyria

Raphael

Punky

Yacko

Atreyu

by Anonymousreply 4401/03/2013

Well, if the most popular baby names of 2012 are anything to go by, it's not all bad. Liam and Emma top the list.

by Anonymousreply 4501/03/2013

[quote] Well, if the most popular baby names of 2012 are anything to go by, it's not all bad. Liam and Emma top the list.

Liam Neeson and is it Emma Stone or Emma Watson inspiring the trend?

by Anonymousreply 4601/03/2013

Can someone please start a thread of acceptable names for boys and girls?

by Anonymousreply 4701/03/2013

[quote]It's a horrible county that I'd guess to say is mostly repukes.

You guess to say wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4801/03/2013

Fieldston and Cranston? I wonder what mom expects the boys' friends to call them. Field and Cran?

by Anonymousreply 4901/03/2013

Westchester indeed votes Democratic. The Democrats have a super-majority in the County Legislature.

by Anonymousreply 5001/04/2013

Why do I get the feeling that R38 will swear that he also saw twins named Lemonjello and Orangejello

by Anonymousreply 5101/04/2013

If I ever have a daughter she will be named Stella, just to give me the opportunity to SCREAM - STELLA!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5201/04/2013

In Scandinavia and Germany there are laws governing what parents can name their children so that parents don't name their kids names like Moxie Crimefighter and Pilot Inspektor. There's an approved list of TRADITIONAL names and if it ain't on that list, you can't use it. It's designed, in part, to avoid sticking children with ridiculous names and to sustain each country's cultural heritage.

I suppose if a couple really had their hearts set on a name not on the approved list they could go out of the country and have their baby elsewhere, but they'd have to pay for the childbirth, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5301/04/2013

What do you care, OP? Learn to crochet if you have that much free time on your hands.

by Anonymousreply 5401/04/2013

OP calls his sister a dimwit and invites perfect strangers to mock and ridicule her? Classy.

by Anonymousreply 5501/04/2013

R53, Are all Biblical names allowed in those countries? I know Asians typically choose an "American" name, often similar to their own, as it's hard for many to pronounce and spell unusual names from different countries.

R54, OP should be applauded for his concern about the young children's future self-esteem issues, as it's been proven that most people sadly judge people by their name. Personally the names his sister chose sound low-class.

by Anonymousreply 5601/04/2013

I find that guys who eschew diminutives are often homosexuals -- James, Robert, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5701/04/2013

My BF has a son in junior high and almost all the boys have a "last name/first name" (mostly all ending in -on) and most of the girls' names end in -y, or -ly.

But the most popular name is Sam. I counted about a dozen in the yearbook.

by Anonymousreply 5801/04/2013

There's nothing wrong with the name Cranston or Fieldston. Nothing. Just as there is nothing wrong with the name Langston Hughes or Augusten Burroughs. These names are unique. They have character.

How boring is it to have a room full of children named Robert, Tyler or James? There are 3 Tylers in my nephew's class. Tyler T., Tyler S. and Tyler M. Such common names. I had a professor whose name was John Smith.

When you have your own children, give them whatever traditional/boring names you want.

r56 you sound quite low-class yourself. Your way of thinking is tres gauche.

by Anonymousreply 5901/04/2013

I sympathize with you, OP. I had to convince my sister not to name her son Armani. She ended up naming him Mateo.

by Anonymousreply 6001/04/2013

Your sister is a selfish BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 6101/04/2013

I couldn't get my post accepted. I think it was too long, i had to start a new thread. My post is at the link

by Anonymousreply 6201/04/2013

I just think of Bryan Cranston.

A woman at work named her twins (a boy and a girl) Kensington and Camden. She got knocked up in London and thought it was cute. Uggh. And she wonders why most people call them Kenny and Cammy...

by Anonymousreply 6301/04/2013

I saw a press article recently about a women whose young kids are names Will and Grace.

by Anonymousreply 6401/04/2013

OP, you're an absolute asshole, you don't think your nephew will go online years from now and see the nasty things you say about his mother and the name he was given?

by Anonymousreply 6501/04/2013

I'll suck all their dicks.

by Anonymousreply 6601/04/2013

R59's name probably is Latrina and she's just spitting with pride about her uniqueness.

And Langston and Augustine (with whatever spelling) are not unheard-of names. Picking one's children's names from the same how-to book as the one used for naming cheap exurban mobile home developments is not a way to celebrate identity, respect and family. It is the way to attract ridicule from the people who know better and interest among like-minded creeps (e.g. R59).

by Anonymousreply 6701/04/2013

Latrina r67? Bit racist, aren't you? Does not surprise me at all. You sound like a narrow-minded tart with too much time on your hand.

A name is only 1 part of person's identity. Langston and Augusten is hardly a common name. One could say it's quite unique. On DL, it would be mocked had it not been the name of a famous poet and writer.

by Anonymousreply 6801/04/2013

You do realise that Augusten Burrough's real name is Christopher, yes?

by Anonymousreply 6901/04/2013

[quote]John Lewis is an up-themselves department store in the UK. Lol.

John Lewis isn't as up-themselves as you're making it out to be. The customer service is excellent, which is saying something considering this is in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 7001/04/2013

R56, To equate expressing concern for a stranger, who may needlessly suffer emotionally because of a parents' selfishness in choosing his/her name, with being low-class is outrageous IMHO. Perhaps you would have had to personally experience constant teasing to truly empathize. Studies have proven that employers hold preconceived impressions based on a persons' name. What is "tres gauche" is to be so self-involved as to not consider the reality of a situation.

by Anonymousreply 7101/04/2013

Fieldston and Cranston sounds like a law firm, LOL! Or maybe a cosmetics company like Crabtree and Evelyn. Those names just beg to be made fun of in school, poor kids. Do parents ever think when they are trying to be all original and hipster? The latter is doomed to a lifetime of "Hey Cranberry"

by Anonymousreply 7201/04/2013

[quote] If you know Bronxville, you know that they're very "selective" in who can and cannot live there

The only "selective" thing about Bronxville is whether or not you can afford to live there. There are plenty of WASPs, Jews and Catholics living there. The only criteria is green.

by Anonymousreply 7301/04/2013

Cranston is a last name, and not a particularly nice one. This is what happens when WASPy last-names-as-first-names like "Madison" and "Campbell" are recognized as passé even among the lower classes. They're really scraping the barrel now.

Whoever said Fieldston sounds like a drainage system is right. It sounds like a made-up corporate brand name that won with the focus group. Could also be a variety of patio tiles, fireplace designs, cookware or exterior house siding. "Our Fieldston option is triple-insulated, and gives your home the look of a stately manor!"

by Anonymousreply 7401/04/2013

A teacher friend has a student named Goddess. She is of course a handful.

by Anonymousreply 7501/04/2013

so true r74!

The Fieldston collection at WalMart!

by Anonymousreply 7601/04/2013

Perhaps she was hoping for better chances of admission to a good, nearby private school. At least she didn't name her daughter Brooklyn Polly.

by Anonymousreply 7701/04/2013

My parents contemplated naming me Yale. I was just grateful that they set their sights higher than Ole Miss.

by Anonymousreply 7801/04/2013

Those names sound like jacket names in an Eddie Bauer catalog.

Names like these instantly conjure up the image of wanna be lower middle class people that feel like naming their kids withl pretentious sounding names will somehow make the child standout. The parents also use the names as a reflection of themselves, they want to be remembered for choosing that uncommon name.

by Anonymousreply 7901/04/2013

[quote]Those names will barely get them on the wait list for Iona Prep!

Catholic children are properly named after saints. I don't believe there is a St. Cranston.

by Anonymousreply 8001/04/2013

Saint Bryan Cranston

by Anonymousreply 8101/04/2013

"We said the same thing as OP. Whatever happened to Michael and Matthew and Joseph? I have laughed in people's faces at work when they tell me some of the names they come up with"

When I was in school there were so many Michaels that we had to refer to them by their last initial - Michael H., Michael K., and so forth. I don't understand why you would want your kid to have a name that so many other people have. Try to be more unique.

People whining about originality are probably Republicans. They like conformity a lot. They hate gays because gays are different.

by Anonymousreply 8201/04/2013

R82, Not a Repub, and that's a silly accusation for someone who supports OP's position in being concerned about a child's future based on his selfish parents. There are plenty of choices between extremely common names and those that would subject a child to ridicule. Perhaps you haven't known someone who had a painful childhood, so aggravated by constant insults that he/she was ashamed to say his own name.

R83, You're speaking of adults with unusual middle names, not about a child who might grow up being called "football field," or "Mrs. Field's Cookies," or far worse. Sure our president overcame his unusual name. Ask him if as a youngster he would have preferred a more "normal" one. There's a good psychological reason why certain countries don't allow parents to be so cruel.

by Anonymousreply 8401/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.