Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Your Favorite Film Of 2012

Not necessarily what you thought was the "best" of the year, but your personal favorite.

Mine: "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" (I was totally taken by surprise at how much I loved that movie.)

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013

Hope Springs.

by Anonymousreply 101/03/2013

Also Perks of Being a Wallflower here. I knew next to nothing about it going into it, and was blown away.

I haven't seen as much this year, been catching up on old classics I've never gotten around to before, but the only other films that really stuck with me this year were Anna Karenina and Cloud Atlas.

by Anonymousreply 201/03/2013

Rust and Bone. Cotillard is far more than a French version of Mila Kunis who can actually act. The heart wrenching scene where she finds how about the fate of her legs is brilliantly acted. Her counterpart, Matthias Schoenaerts, is quite good as well. He's not just a hunk but a good actor. I'm looking forward to Matthias working in American films, he'll add some great presence.

by Anonymousreply 301/03/2013

My choices are mostly mainstream (surprising for me) this year. Skyfall, The Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Looper. The worst I saw was Magic Mike.

by Anonymousreply 401/03/2013

I don't go to the movies very often but I enjoyed "Life of Pi" very much. The 3-D effects were awesome.

by Anonymousreply 501/03/2013

Favorite movie I saw this year was Yossi, the sequel to a gay-themed Israeli movie I loved called Yossi and Jager.

by Anonymousreply 701/03/2013

So far Lincoln, but I haven't seen Life of Pi yet and I love everything Ang does.

by Anonymousreply 801/03/2013

Lincoln.

by Anonymousreply 901/03/2013

The Guilt Trip

by Anonymousreply 1001/03/2013

I loved Wallflower too. I also loved Moonrise Kingdom and The Hunger Games.

by Anonymousreply 1101/03/2013

Beasts of the Southern Wild, Lincoln, Skyfall Amour

by Anonymousreply 1201/03/2013

Another vote for "Wallflower", but I loved the craziness of "Rust and Bone"...

by Anonymousreply 1301/03/2013

There's a sequel to "Yossi and Jager"?

by Anonymousreply 1401/03/2013

Holy Motors. Fascinating.

Also enjoyed Beasts of the Southern Wild, Skyfall, Moonrise Kingdom, Rust and Bone (because of Cotillard and Schoenaerts). I'm dying to see Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty and The Master (BIG PTA fan)

As for the "Best": Amour

by Anonymousreply 1501/03/2013

The Cabin in the Woods. It's the only movie I wanted to watch again. And then again.

Maybe not the best (that would be The Deep Blue Sea, Keep the Lights On, Lincoln, Skyfall, etc.), but definitely a personal favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1601/03/2013

Though I think Daniel Day Lewis gives the performance of the year, I am shocked to admit that I loved "Anna Karenina" and I'm not even much of a fan of Knightley and Law and didn't know the actor doing Vronsky at all but loved him. Everything critics attacked about the film were the very things I loved about it : the conceit of shifting between the artificial stage (the shallow aristocracy) and the filmic style when dealing with the real emotional aspects of the story (the love affair and the damage to the marriage it causes). Yeah, I really liked it best this year.

Mind you, I haven't seen "Zero Dark Thirty" yet.

by Anonymousreply 1701/03/2013

The Master and Skyfall so far. Both worth the price of admission in their own ways.

Still plan to see Lincoln, Amour, Holy Motors, ZDT and The Deep Blue Sea.

by Anonymousreply 1801/03/2013

I'd love to see Lincoln win Best Picture at the Oscars, and I loved Life of Pi, Moonrise Kingdom, Argo, The Master, and several other critically acclaimed films.

But the 2012 movie I'm going to definitely buy on DVD (and that, to me, is what defines a "favorite" movie vs. a "best" movie) is The Amazing Spider-Man. Delightful.

by Anonymousreply 1901/03/2013

[quote]There's a sequel to "Yossi and Jager"?

Yep and it was damn good. Don't think it is legally available in the US yet but I am guessing at some point it will be on Amazon/Itunes/On Demand. You can pirate it before then if you want to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 2001/03/2013

Thank you for the "Yossi" recomendation, r7/20. I don't think "Yossi & Jager" is that great but this one was really wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

Searching for Sugar Man and Ai Wei Wei: Never Sorry are two of the best biographies I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

Lincoln

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

In terms of cinematic achievement, Moonrise Kingdom.

In terms of visceral thrills, The Dark Knight Rises.

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

1. Silver Linings Playbook

2. Les Miserables

3. The Perks of being a Wallflower

4. Lincoln

5. Magic Mike

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

Perks of Being a Wallflower was my favorite, too.

Les Miserables blew me away, too.

And I loved Alan Cummings' Any Day Now.

I found Hitchcock to be great fun, too.

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

My favorites were easily Zero Dark Thirty, Argo and Pitch Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower! Yes!

On the outside it seemed like a movie I'd seen a hundred times, but something about it really connected and the movie was an emotional experience. Emma Watson had this dark beautiful energy going on and the guy from We Need To Talk About Kevin was fantastic. A beautifully written and acted movie that blew my expectations.

I also really liked Silver Linings Playbook and, mostly due to residual love from the book, John Dies At The End.

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

Rust and Bone. My ex-partner's brother went through something similar as the main charcter, it was so heart wrenching to see that play out on the silver screen. The use of the poppy and typical Katy Perry song,Firework, oddly becomes a song of triumph and revival in this movie. Both Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts are brilliant in this film. They should have won any and every award available for this film.

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

[quote] didn't know the actor doing Vronsky at all but loved him.

That's Aaron Taylor-Johnson. A brilliant actor. Stunningly gorgeous, but also a complete chameleon.

His personal life is a little creepy, but he's a really nice guy, too.

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

Thought about the most after seeing: Looper

Surprise: Pitch Perfect and Hunger Games

Favorite: Perks of Being a Wallflower and Lincoln

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

R30, explain his creepy private life? please

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

Moonrise Kingdom

ParaNorman

by Anonymousreply 3301/15/2013

Moonrise Kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

I really liked a lot: The Avengers, Lincoln, Skyfall, Moonrise Kingdom, Holy Motors...

Two however completely stand out for me: Beasts of the Southern Wild and The Master.

The first because it was so beautiful, surreal and inspired.

The second for some of the best acting I've encountered in years. It was riveting. Also because it lays bare the spiritual venality lying just beneath the surface of Post WWII America - a time that is typically idealized beyond all proportion.

by Anonymousreply 3501/15/2013

The Master

by Anonymousreply 3601/15/2013

Django Unchained

by Anonymousreply 3701/15/2013

Argo

by Anonymousreply 3801/15/2013

Judging from the other posters, I'm shocked that Perks didn't get any Oscar nominations. I also loved The Hunger Games, Le Mez, and Cabin In The Woods.

by Anonymousreply 3901/15/2013

Yeah, Pitch Perfect was fun.

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

John Carter.

Everyone slags on it, because it bombed at the box office, but I really loved it. Saw it twice.

"Brave" was very good too.

"Ted" was the funniest movie I saw.

"Looper" was surprisingly good.

I did like "Cabin in the Woods" and "Avengers" too.

"The Hobbit" was good.

There were a lot of movies I didn't see that are probably better than many of these... Argo, Lincoln, Skyfall... but I'm catching up where I can via NetFlix

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.