Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

HELP!!! Lasagna Emergency!

I'm having some friends over for dinner tonight and I made lasagna (don't judge). I made it last night in order to save time today. It includes a tomato meat sauce, cheeses, and fresh spinach and mushrooms. Instead of cooking the spinach and mushrooms I simply layered them sliced and raw in the lasagna. Will it be OK when I bake the thing? The meat sauce has

I'm not sure what I was thinking when i made it last night except that it was pretty and looked healthy. But now I'm worried that I should have sauteed them.

Please tell me it'll be OK.

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013

Assuming its the normal 45-60 minute bake, you'll be fine. I don't even precook the noodles....

by Anonymousreply 101/03/2013

Thanks R1. I've been looking online and a few recipes (including traditional Italian ones) call for raw sliced mushrooms too.

The issue seems to me moisture. Cooking mushrooms rids them of their moisture so my lasagna may be a bit too soupy. I can drain that maybe.

by Anonymousreply 201/03/2013

You won't need to drain it OP.

by Anonymousreply 301/03/2013

OP, I can see your concern but baking the mushrooms in the lasagna probably won't yield the same amount of moisture as it would if you were just sautéing them...

by Anonymousreply 401/03/2013

It will be fine, possibly even great.

by Anonymousreply 501/03/2013

They're organic crimini mushrooms, if that makes a difference.

Dinner Party Panic!!!!

by Anonymousreply 601/03/2013

The mushrooms will be okay, the question is the tomatoes and the spinach. Assuming you used fresh spinach you'll be okay. And it sounds like you didn't use fresh tomatoes, so you should be okay there too.

by Anonymousreply 701/03/2013

You've all made me feel better. Thank you.

You're all invited! Dinner's at 7.

by Anonymousreply 801/03/2013

[quote] Assuming you used fresh spinach you'll be okay. And it sounds like you didn't use fresh tomatoes, so you should be okay there too.

I used fresh spinach and a tomato meat sauce that I cooked and simmered for 20 minutes (ground beef, onions, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, splash of red wine, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic)

by Anonymousreply 901/03/2013

Oh, how sweet. I might be there a little early since I drive past your house on my way home from work. You don't mind, right?

by Anonymousreply 1001/03/2013

This is the sort of thing that would start eating away at me when I wake up the morning of a dinner party and would gradually work itself into a panic by the time I get to work... It's nice to be able to consult here.

by Anonymousreply 1101/03/2013

I woke up in the middle of the night worrying about it, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1201/03/2013

You'll be happy to know the lasagna turned out well. Very tasty, in fact. The fresh mushrooms added extra flavour and texture.

Overall I was very pleased with the end result. Next time I'll try no-cook noodles.

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2013

Definitely try not cooking the noodles. I just place my noodles in hot water while I make the sauce and then layer as usual. The noodles are limp by then and easily handled. I make the sauce a "little" soupier and it turns out fine.

Also I make lasagna with ravioli. You can use frozen but I usually make cheese ahead of time. Just layer with a really mushroomy sauce and bake. It is very good.

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2013

You don't need to cook the noodles at all whether they are "no cook" or not. The moisture from the fresh veggies should be enough. If you are not sure, you just pour about a 1/4 cup of water along the edges of the lasagna before you bake it.

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!