Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jay-Z to Score ‘The Great Gatsby’

“The Great Gatsby” may be set in the 1920s, but the 2013 film adaption is getting a modern twist. Jay-Z will be co-writing the original musical score for the film directed by Baz Luhrmann, who also directed the period films “Romeo & Juliet” and “Moulin Rouge.” The rapper’s producer-songwriter, The Bullitts (real name: Jeymes Samuel), broke the news on Twitter. “Jay-Z and myself have been working tirelessly on the score for the upcoming#CLASSIC The Great Gatsby! It is too DOPE for words!” he tweeted Dec. 30. The film’s trailer hinted at Jay’s involvement by featuring one of his collaborations with Kanye West, “No Church in the Wild.” The latest “Gatsby,” starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan and Tobey Maguire, hits theaters May 10.

by Anonymousreply 18001/15/2013

Jay-Z

Carey Mulligan

Leonardo DiCaprio

Baz Luhrmann

Sounds like a lineup in HELL.

by Anonymousreply 101/03/2013

Well, that just killed ANY interest I had in seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 201/03/2013

I guess that Nicki Minaj wasn't available?

by Anonymousreply 301/03/2013

I was thinking of the word "DOPE" as well, but not in the same sense.

by Anonymousreply 401/03/2013

They are just getting around to scoring now? It was supposed to be released by now. Can't wait to hear the mess Jay-Z provides. Maybe a a rap version of "What'll I Do?"

by Anonymousreply 501/03/2013

Which is a worse prospect, having to see DiCaprio's fat face on screen for two plus hours or having to listen to the soundtrack?

by Anonymousreply 601/03/2013

Who run the world? Girls.

Who run this mutha??

Who run this mutha??

by Anonymousreply 701/03/2013

Daisy has been changed to DAY-Z.

by Anonymousreply 801/03/2013

This movie is so misguided.

by Anonymousreply 901/03/2013

That is my dog. That is my home boy.

by Anonymousreply 1001/03/2013

I hate anachronistic music on a period piece. Yuck. The 1980s power ballad popera dreck in Les Miz is so ridiculous, I can't believe it doesn't reduce everyone to giggles (then boredom) they way it does to me.

by Anonymousreply 1101/03/2013

Me thinks Camel face will soon be replaced over 'creative differences'. It happens all the time. The great Jerry Goldsmith replaced Phillip Lambro on "Chinatown" - with only 10 days to put a score together. Imagine that film without the lazy horns that evoke the period, and play all through the film. Jack White was just replaced on "Lone Ranger".Jay- Frickin Z won't be able to handle it , and / or it will end up being a disaster.Sounds like it already is.

by Anonymousreply 1201/03/2013

Ah-muh-gerd.

by Anonymousreply 1301/03/2013

A movie about The Jazz Age and they aren't going to use any jazz?

One of the things I love about Boardwalk Empire is their use of music from the time.

by Anonymousreply 1401/03/2013

Jay Z has no musical knowledge other than selecting beats that are sent to him by producers. I doubt that he has the ability to read music, play an instrument, compose melodies, make a "beat," etc. Please hire a real composer to score this movie.

by Anonymousreply 1501/03/2013

Some of you are really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1701/03/2013

Show him those FS Fitzgerald drag pictures and then tell him to write some music.

by Anonymousreply 1801/03/2013

What a list of oh-so-dull individuals.

by Anonymousreply 1901/03/2013

Hasn't this film been in the can awhile? I can't believe they are just deciding NOW to lock in a score for the film. This just reeks of being a disater.

by Anonymousreply 2001/03/2013

I hope this is the biggest flop. Why wouldn't these marginally talented people think they rule the world? People keep paying them boat loads of money to do these projects. How much do you think HBO paid Beyonce to do that "documentary" about her life? I'm not going to watch it but I helped pay for it with my subscription to the pay channel. Am I one of a few who can't stand Carey Mulligan's sad sack face and acting? And I am bored to death by DiCaprio. He's lazy and his complete lack of physical attractiveness is always a distraction. As for Jay Z, his appeal to anyone who likes Hip Hop escapes me. Biggie, Tupac, Nas, Dr. Dre and even Snoop are more talented, interesting and edgy. Like I said, I hope this flops and big.

by Anonymousreply 2101/03/2013

It's probably going to be a disaster, too, r20:)

by Anonymousreply 2201/03/2013

You mean the names involved in this movie or posters on this thread,[19]?

by Anonymousreply 2301/03/2013

Yeah, for some reason (or a hundred) this movie feels like it will be a complete failure.

I had no real interest in seeing it and now with this bit of news convinces me to skip it altogether.

by Anonymousreply 2401/03/2013

r11, are you SERIOUSLY going to compare the score to Les Mis to Jay-Z? REALLY? Are you that damned superfluous?

by Anonymousreply 2501/03/2013

What part of "anachronistic music" aren't you getting, R25?

by Anonymousreply 2601/03/2013

At first I thought "Baz Luhrman" - oh, fuck. Then "3D why?" - then I heard Leo, and I thought "um, okay"...

Then I heard Jay-Z - and thought "out of their fucking mind"

by Anonymousreply 2701/03/2013

Jay-Z? WTF? He's such a fucking no talent.This film might make Showgirls look like Lawrence of Arabia OR Liz and Dick look like an Award winning tour de force for LA Lohan! They need French actress ,Marion Cotillard, to repeat her death scene from TDKR and they've got a bonafide camp classic on their hands!

by Anonymousreply 2801/03/2013

Can't wait for next year's Oscar nominations for Best Song are annopunced and Gatsby's love song "Daisy Da Ho Bitch" is snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 2901/03/2013

This film must be in bad shape if this is what they've been reduced to.

by Anonymousreply 3001/03/2013

It's Jay-Z

He's got a kid on each knee

He's wearing clothes that he wants us to try

by Anonymousreply 3101/03/2013

How so, r32? Give us an example of his innovation and talent.

by Anonymousreply 3301/03/2013

r32, he was a great rapper back in the day. Yes, others had/have more talent(Rakim and K-os, eg), but he was probably one of the few who had lyric and flow at the same level.

To all the people bitching about musically illiterate people writing film scores, it depends on what the director wants.

If Luhrman is going for electronic anachronism specifically, it's not necessary to write music in order to effectively manipulate electronic instruments.

Brian Eno did not write music IIRC, when he did a lot of his scores.

by Anonymousreply 3601/03/2013

Despite my advanced age there is nothing wrong with my hearing, r35. Too bad the same can't be said about your taste in music:)

by Anonymousreply 3701/03/2013

"Hysterical, [R33] and [R34]. Let me guess? In your 50s?"

Hysterical queen; let me guess; hipster wigger who thinks he's 'cool' by memorizing the banal blatherings of hip hop lyrics, and counts his Black Facebook friends as proof that he's PC?

Fuck off, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 3801/03/2013

R35 bought Jay Z's rip-off "Occupy" T-shirts but never did a fucking thing to protest Wall Street corruption.

by Anonymousreply 3901/03/2013

Jay-Z is 43 now - who the hell cares about his old ass? Do younger people even care about him? I know I sure don't.

Same with Leo - he is so boring and overrated. He's got no personality and is so bland in all of his roles.

by Anonymousreply 4001/03/2013

R36 Oh yes he gives Mozart,Rodgers and Hart and Jerry Goldsmith a run for his money! It's moments like this that make me proud to a Mineshaft veteran and an eldergay! Jay-z is a musical gnat, a former hustler/drug dealer and cannot even play an instrument save skin flute!

I wonder if the theme song "I Be On The Downlow" will be about Jayson and Leonardo's downlow activities?

by Anonymousreply 4101/03/2013

[quote]Which is a worse prospect, having to see DiCaprio's fat face on screen for two plus hours or having to listen to the soundtrack?

That's a toss up.

Leo looks like a grimlin with the fat squished face. Never did understand his appeal.

by Anonymousreply 4201/03/2013

FF your racist ass r16...FUCK YOU

by Anonymousreply 4301/03/2013

Does Baz assume that this casting will broaden the appeal of Gatsby? I never saw Romeo+Juliet but I wonder if modernization worked for that film.

by Anonymousreply 4401/03/2013

How old are you [R35]? Jay-Z is tired as hell. Wish he and his corporate shill of a wife would go the fuck away. The commercials for her "documentary" are cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 4501/03/2013

[quote]The Great Gatsby” may be set in the 1920s, but the 2013 film adaption is getting a modern twist.

I could have predicted this quote would appear in some hackneyed form the moment this film was announced.

by Anonymousreply 4601/03/2013

Something for all crack dealers to aspire to.

by Anonymousreply 4701/03/2013

Baz always has skated a little too close to the thin ice. Artistic betrayal is not the same thing as contemporary relevance. And contemporary relevance isn't the same thing as having this creepy hack take on a difficult job.

by Anonymousreply 4801/03/2013

I just got back from movies and one of the trailers was for The Great Gatsby. If the music is or will be anything like that in the trailer, people will be fleeing the theater in the first five minutes. I can't even describe it, but too modern, too self-important, and yes, I'm an eldergay, too loud.

by Anonymousreply 4901/03/2013

R48, Then why would "they" give Baz so much power to express himself again?

by Anonymousreply 5001/03/2013

r50, after the previous Gatsby disaster, there were probably very few takers.

It's also considered a hard book to adapt, because the language and descriptions are hard to translate.

by Anonymousreply 5101/03/2013

When I saw the trailer, I thought the music was horrible. It really was anachronistic. I think they are going to ruin it with the music.

by Anonymousreply 5201/03/2013

[quote] I actually love Jay-Z. He's incredibly talented, well spoken, and innovative

you are so right. I saw him on Saturday Night Live. It's the only time I've ever seen him, but he was well spoken. The "song" he performed was music with him very clearly saying a few words. I remember him saying the word "check" in between a few sentences (very few). Each time was extremely clear. I am almost certain he said the word "check' at least four times. He's very innovative. How does he do it?

by Anonymousreply 5301/03/2013

"It's also considered a hard book to adapt, because the language and descriptions are hard to translate."

Ex-peshully in Ebonics.

by Anonymousreply 5401/03/2013

Some of you people are just haters. Jay-Z is one of the most successful singer/producers in the business. He has more talent in his pinky than almost anybody else today. It's just RACISM, plain and simple. If they said Michael Bolton or Rick Astley was gonna do the soundtrack you people would be cheering in the fucking streets. I can't wait to see what he'll do. I know it will be amazing. You will all have to eat crow for breakfast when you see how good it is. Down with hate and down with your racism. Haters gonna hate.

by Anonymousreply 5501/03/2013

Jay Z = black = rap = bad

by Anonymousreply 5701/03/2013

Soundtrack aside for a moment, this entire movie project looks like it's going to suck herpetic cornholes. Just awful. I'm not excited about Jay Z scoring the movie, but it looks like his "music" is the best this piece of poo is going to deserve. The trailer made me want to run screaming out of the theater. Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 5801/03/2013

Jeez, what's next? Justin Bieber scoring a remake of "The Godfather"?

by Anonymousreply 5901/03/2013

Jay Z = black = rap = bad

by Anonymousreply 6001/03/2013

R-A-C-I-S-T-S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6101/03/2013

It's amazing how racist you eldergays get. Jesus Christ, I mean "Camel Face"? For real?

by Anonymousreply 6201/03/2013

R54 - You should be ashamed. That is not nice.

by Anonymousreply 6301/03/2013

I would love to be in a sex sandwich with Leonardo and Jay-Z. That would be hawt.

by Anonymousreply 6401/03/2013

my baby's daddy should do it

by Anonymousreply 6501/03/2013

r25 also has no idea what the word "superfluous" means, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 6601/04/2013

Sad to see so much blatant racism here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 6701/04/2013

Sad, but no surprise.

And don't minimize the freeper factor.

by Anonymousreply 6801/04/2013

It's my understanding that he was brought on to season the soundtrack, not to create an entire score. It's supposed to be like the way modern songs and sounds were used to perk up Moulin Rouge.

by Anonymousreply 6901/04/2013

A stroke of genius. The movie is going to be awesome and a smash. Jay-Z's soundtrack will sell millions. The Great Gatsy will be the movie event of 2013.

by Anonymousreply 7001/04/2013

Well, at least now my daughter will have something to relate to in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 7201/04/2013

How long can it be until Taylor Swift writes a new original score to Sound of Music now?

by Anonymousreply 7401/04/2013

I hear that Bieber is scoring the remake of Citizen Kane!

by Anonymousreply 7501/04/2013

"If they said Michael Bolton or Rick Astley was gonna do the soundtrack you people would be cheering in the fucking streets"

Honey, you must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 7601/04/2013

Right R73 because these are well thought out responses without absolutely no bias, especially R71.

Get the fuck out of here.

by Anonymousreply 7701/05/2013

I was not happy with the score, when I watched the trailer. Why on earth would you have hip-hop to a 20's film?

by Anonymousreply 7801/05/2013

[quote]Hasn't this film been in the can awhile? I can't believe they are just deciding NOW to lock in a score for the film. This just reeks of being a disater.

It was supposed to be released last year, but was postponed again.

by Anonymousreply 7901/05/2013

[quote]I actually love Jay-Z. He's incredibly talented, well spoken, and innovative.

In what planet?

by Anonymousreply 8001/05/2013

Planet Claire!

by Anonymousreply 8101/05/2013

I wanted to see this, now? Forget it. I despise JayZ/Beweave-skinlightener/ChrisMartin/Goop

by Anonymousreply 8201/05/2013

R80, we get it. A large cross section of DLers don't like, understand, approve, or find value in Jay-Z or his music. This has been well established. If you don't think hip hop/rap has any value as an art form, I understand how you would also feel that Jay-Z has no value as an artist. I happen to disagree.

Either way, I think it's time to move on.

by Anonymousreply 8301/05/2013

Might as well ask Andrew Lippa

by Anonymousreply 8501/05/2013

What is Jay-Z going to do---Humm the music while someone more talented with a degree in music compositon writes down the notes?

by Anonymousreply 8601/05/2013

Let's flag #84 (ff) so the owner of DL can kick that guy out.

by Anonymousreply 8701/05/2013

[quote]He has more talent in his pinky than almost anybody else today.

More accurately, he has more talent in his whole body than most people have in their little finger.

by Anonymousreply 8801/05/2013

(R87, I agree with your plan, but please learn how to reference previous posters correctly...thanks!!)

by Anonymousreply 8901/05/2013

I'ma get me some songwriting credits in mah boo's movie and get me that Oscar for Best Song, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 9101/05/2013

I have no opinion on Jay-z but I also can't think of any music he's made. And I listen to pop music since I have an 8 yr old daughter. We did buy one of his hats at the Barclay center after an ice show, though.

by Anonymousreply 9301/05/2013

(DIPSHIT R92: "Because you don't like rap, you are RACIST!!!")

--- US rapper Azealia Banks has defended calling the US entertainment blogger Perez Hilton a faggot during a Twitter argument.

The argument began after Hilton posted a criticism of Banks’s feuds with other artists. She then called him “dickbreath” and told him to “gobble a dick”.

Hilton told Banks, who last year said she was bisexual: “Some of your music is cute, but your attention-seeking ways are pathetic and hurtful. You drag while others choose to uplift!”

Banks responded: “Whatever bitch, you tried to sign me to ur little bum ass label in ’11 with them bullsshit ass artists…” She later tweeted: “omg u should just kill yourself… Like for real… lol what a messy faggot you are.”

by Anonymousreply 9401/05/2013

I just don't understand why people who don't like Jay-Z just say: "I don't like rap/hip hop. It's nothing personal against him, he might be the best rapper ever, it's the whole genre I don't get."

That way, we can know it's not racism or idiocy or whatever, it's just an understandable ignorance in that particular world. I feel that way about show tunes. I loathe them. They do nothing for me. I would never deride people who do like them, but I know I don't have the requisite knowledge to comment on any show tune.

by Anonymousreply 9601/05/2013

Well, that's certainly a more sober analysis than the screeching twit who thinks he can force us to admire hip hop by alleging that anyone older than him is a racist old fart.

by Anonymousreply 9701/05/2013

R97, it seems both sides of this sort of odd argument were quick to attack. I was the first poster way upthread who said I like Jay-Z but felt he was wrong for Gatsby. I instantly was attacked for my lack of taste, which is just ridiculous and a total ad hominem attack.

I think hip hop fans were instantly put on the defensive and did the same in return. Oh, how I love thee DL.

by Anonymousreply 9901/05/2013

This is one of the first responses from the other thread. Pretty sure it came from R97:

[quote]That's the name of your band, right, cunty dipshit wigger who licks the anus of dismissive money-grubbing pop-fame whores like no-talent shitbag Jay-Z?

[quote]Why u butthurt, cuz yooz a dum wigga?

by Anonymousreply 10001/05/2013

LOL,r95.

by Anonymousreply 10101/05/2013

Please, r96. Have you read the other posts in this thread? If anyone says they don't like HIp Hop or Jay Zzzzz they have been excoriated and accused of being "eldergays", "a million years old", "racists", and yes, "faggots". The race trolls are the problem here. I personally think he is over rated and not the least bit original. He only rules Hip Hop because there is no one else besides Nas and the equally innane Kanye West who sells records these days. Let us hope they represent the last gasp of this trite and boring musical abomination that has the nerve to compare itself with the originators of RAP.

by Anonymousreply 10201/05/2013

Really, r96?. You are playing the victim here? You are poster 35. You referred to me as hysterical and said I had to be over 50 because I asked you to give me an example of Jay Zzzz's innovation and talent. Go fuck yourself, you raging hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 10301/05/2013

Here's a free tip for eldergays. Saying you hate hip hop shows just how close-minded and out of touch you are.

Some of you seem to have an extremely narrow view of the genre, and when you dismiss it as a whole because you don't like gangsta rap, it shows you really don't know what you are talking about.

Much of the music of the past three decades now has been influenced by hip hop in some manner. Kids starting bands today don't know a world without it.

by Anonymousreply 10401/05/2013

The idea that rap is music or art is the biggest con pulled by the recording industry ever. MAYBE some of Missy Elliot's songs come close, but its basically a money machine for white/Jewish execs to exploit blacks while throwing a handful of "rappers" millions to say "nigger" and "ho" and glorify drugs and violence. I like some of it, but dancing to something or laughing at some of Lil Kim's raunchy lyrics doesn't mean I think it has any artistic value.

by Anonymousreply 10501/05/2013

Actually, I like the genre and I get the distinction, but just like I posted way back, Jay-Z as well as DiCaprio and the rest are dull as fuck commercial tools.

by Anonymousreply 10601/05/2013

R105 is a perfect example of the extremely narrow view of the genre some of you have.

by Anonymousreply 10701/05/2013

They can run but they can't hide.

by Anonymousreply 10801/05/2013

I like Jay-Z, but this just seems like an ill fit.

by Anonymousreply 10901/05/2013

Unclench, R103. I was attacked first, then, admittedly, attacked back. I then realized how silly it was for anyone to be attacking anyone else for something as subjective as Jay-Z's artistic merit.

by Anonymousreply 11001/05/2013

R105, that sounds suspiciously similar to what my mom says her parents told her when, as a kid, she desperately wanted a Beatles album.

It also sounds like what my mom said to me when, as a preteen, I begged for a Nirvana record.

by Anonymousreply 11101/05/2013

Hey, twonk troll obsessed smug wigger.

NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU THINK.

Your pedantic finger-wagging isn't convincing anyone.

Your blather about the infesting influence of this genre is supposed to do what? Convince us "eldergays" to start listening to this corporate shit?

You pretend to be some sort of smug musicologist who knows the history of pop music while at the same time whining about those more mature than you, who have a much more diverse range of music and life experiences.

You're an inane banal worm.

by Anonymousreply 11201/05/2013

[quote]You pretend to be some sort of smug musicologist who knows the history of pop music while at the same time whining about those more mature than you, who have a much more diverse range of music and life experiences.

You've proven you don't know shit about music from the last three decades (at least). You are old and useless.

by Anonymousreply 11301/06/2013

At least 60% of my co-workers who are 21 to 30 prefer listening to oldies tunes (70s, 80s and 90s). Which goes to show that today's tunes are sh*t, composed of auto-tune and corporate made synthetics...it's not talent anymore, but presentation.

by Anonymousreply 11401/06/2013

No one wants you listen to rap, R112, if you don't want to. I hope I don't come off as smug. If I do, I sincerely apologize. I know you DO come off as incredibly unhinged. I worry about you. Please, take a breath. Then take a xanax. No one will make you like hip hop. I promise. It's all going to be okay!

by Anonymousreply 11501/06/2013

r114, it's also a different world, especially in the music business.

There is good music out there, but looking for it is harder with all the corporate bullshit platforms on the internet.

There's a generation gap in hip hop now- a lot of people don't listen to hip hop as music, it's just background filler while they're on tumblr or twitter. That's what leads to a lot of this shit like Nicki Minaj and the autotune school. It's essentially pop music, and is produced as such.

by Anonymousreply 11601/06/2013

Wigger? For real?

I hope people like R112 are just stupid and not hateful enough to use a word like that.

by Anonymousreply 11701/06/2013

Oh, yes, what a disgusting term! Imagine the horror if someone used it as the title of a show or movies!

by Anonymousreply 11801/06/2013

And imagine the outrage if there was also a novel with that horrible offensive word used as the title!

Oh, wait; that happened, too, more than 15 years ago!

Shocking!

by Anonymousreply 11901/06/2013

I still have trouble with the image of Jay Z trying to conduct an orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 12001/06/2013

R118/R119, are you truly that stupid to realize how offensive that term is? Really?

by Anonymousreply 12101/06/2013

A racial slur that uses the word "nigger" isn't racist ?

by Anonymousreply 12201/06/2013

I don't know Jay-Z from Jay's Potato Chips, but I do know one can dislike rap/hip-hop and not be a bigot. Otoh, jingoistic country music offends me more then whatever the worst of rap has to offer.

Still, count me as another fan of the novel who, the more I read about this film project, the more I see a looming disaster.

by Anonymousreply 12301/06/2013

I have loved the novel ever since I read it in high school. I think it's one of the greatest American novels ever written. And I'm about as far from Jay Z's target demographic as I can get: too old, too white, too female. But I think the idea of him scoring this movie is pretty exciting. The 1970s version was a big snooze. It came nowhere near the excitement of the book, and Redford was a black hole of boredom. In a way (just MARY! me now), Jay Z *is* Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 12401/06/2013

"A racial slur that uses the word "nigger" isn't racist ? "

Ask your average hip hop "artist":

by Anonymousreply 12501/06/2013

The preponderance of the variations on the N-word in hip hop is easily found, except by the cement-headed OP who reduces any fact-filled critics with his Asberger's-esque repetitive insult: "You're old."

The reason I don't like the genre is the frequent use of the word. The cement-headed OP's refusal to acknowledge that fact makes arguing with him futile.

He has yet to show music in this genre which could change any minds. No doubt that's because he is too stupid to figure out how to post a link to a music video.

The fact that I linked a book and movie with the term "wigga," and you faux-sensitive PC nancys refuse to see the preponderance if the term in the subculture is your own problem.

by Anonymousreply 12601/06/2013

Wouldn't the definition of "cement-headed" be someone who can't understand why calling someone a white nigger is offensive?

by Anonymousreply 12701/06/2013

Jay-Zs music appeal to everbody. Anyone who does not like is a racist pure and simple. Remember denial aint a river in egyhpt.

by Anonymousreply 12801/06/2013

No. But your contrarian sarcasm is appreciated.

The term is the title of an acclaimed book and a film (which might suck; i didn't bother to look), previously linked.

It's a variation on the original offensive term, which, it seems, YOU need to be reminded, is rampant in the lyrics of the genre, not just 'gangsta rap.'

The genre, and its mainstream "artists," is/are also widely known to be mostly sexist, misogynist and homophobic.

And your additional ignorance/avoidance of that fact is obvious, as is the truth that the sub-genres of 'queer' hip hop (another term that many find offensive, while others use in the context of activism and academia) and even "crip"-hop (yes, disabled hip hop musicians! another "offensive" term reclaimed by a subculture) are also known and defy those stereotypes.

All that, and your ignorance of it and its multiple contexts, is beside the point that said "cement-headed" OP has only used the "You're old" argument to make no point at all.

He also has undoubtedly no knowledge of the referenced alternative subgenres.

The only point OP has made is to clearly reiterate how inappropriate Jay-Z is for a film based on an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel.

The OP is also a fool for using a single "You're old" insult about a project based on a novel that's almost a century old.

Now shut the fuck up, beyotch.

by Anonymousreply 12901/06/2013

I like r129. I don't like the OP. Or Jay Zzzzz. Get me! I'm a hip hopper!

by Anonymousreply 13001/06/2013

R129! You have stated your boundaries!! Bravo! You shall continue to be erstwhile and bold in your defiance of all things rap. I applaud you and your valor as you battle forth against the mighty urban tongue of a shadowy generation of crazy youths and their n-word spewing demigods. Like the head of Ozymandias, it is you, friend, that will be here, ruins from an antique land, for all eternity. And the vernacular and the testimony of the beat boxers, the bling wearers, the useless rhyming donkeys, braying in languages that only the underbelly can ascertain, will be forgotten like loose sands in a far away desert. Culture needs you, friend. You need to save it from itself. What would culture be without you, fair watchdog? Varied? Diverse? Speaking for people that YOU don't understand or don't want to understand? Oh. Could anything be worse than that? Alas...we trudge on.

(Move on. God. No one cares anymore. You've made your point. You hate hip hop. How daring.)

by Anonymousreply 13101/06/2013

R129, Trolldar shows me that you are obviously quite old and quite racist.

You also can't understand normal thinking.

by Anonymousreply 13201/07/2013

[quote]Jay-Zs music appeal to everbody. Anyone who does not like is a racist pure and simple.

What kind of stupid ass remark is that?

by Anonymousreply 13301/07/2013

"No one cares anymore."

And yet you fired your sarcasm pearls into overdrive just to not prove a point. Take your jungle red claws elsewhere.

And R132, you dumped your cookies and are still a cementhead with no taste in music whatsoever.

While I have shown a superior knowledge of tangents of the genre, none of you has shared any comparisons of uplifting hip hop that proves such music is in any way appropriate to the doomed film.

And now some entree-tain-munt fo yuz!

by Anonymousreply 13401/07/2013

Y'all needz yo Nigga pass!

by Anonymousreply 13501/07/2013

[quote]While I have shown a superior knowledge of tangents of the genre, none of you has shared any comparisons of uplifting hip hop that proves such music is in any way appropriate to the doomed film.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Look, you're the one who entered this discussion by calling others white niggers and making ebonics jokes.

You seem to be most angry that people have called you out for being old. But, really, you are old. Elderly. There's no way to deny it.

by Anonymousreply 13601/07/2013

Hey, twat 136. You don't know shit about me. So shut the fuck up, you braindead snot.

"You seem" - what a presumptuous smug little ass you are. what a sad toprid life you must lead.

You haven't typed a single thing to show that you know anything at all about this or any other topic. You're just another little ankle-biting trollina making age-ist accusations to some text on a screen. What a sad life you must lead.

Your pile-on hypocrisy is as useless and bland as you are.

Enjoy some more quality hip hop, cuntlette! Of course, you little hypocriticunts never listen to this shit, so let me showz it 2U:

"NIGGAZ IN PARIS BY YOUR VAUNTED 'ARTIST' JAY-Z, with the psychotic narcissist Kanye West!

How totally Fitzgerald-ish!

by Anonymousreply 13701/07/2013

Here it is with typed lyrics for you utterly hypocritical douche bags.

That title again: NIGGAZ IN PARIS.

by Anonymousreply 13801/07/2013

R138 is the worst person on Datalounge. And the oldest!

by Anonymousreply 13901/07/2013

I will not see it for this reason.

by Anonymousreply 14001/07/2013

THANK YOU Della at R123. Agree 100%.

by Anonymousreply 14101/07/2013

R139 is the author of this thread:

by Anonymousreply 14201/07/2013

What an obsessive, deranged, boring, clueless, humorless drone you are, Asshole Asberger's.

You have yet to figure out how to post a link to any sample of hip hop music that isn't utter crap, you drug-addled ADD poster child for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 14401/07/2013

Some more "quality" hiphop for you mincing priss-pots and faux-twonks, since you have absolutely no knowledge of basic HTML or music:

Great stuff, huh wiggaz?

by Anonymousreply 14701/07/2013

You know r6 unless someone kidnaps you and puts a gun to your head you don't have to buy a ticket for it at all. You could. Just. Not. Go.

by Anonymousreply 14801/07/2013

Jay will just go jack some beats from Nas like he usually does, so it will be all right.

by Anonymousreply 14901/07/2013

Da Great Gaxby

by Anonymousreply 15001/07/2013

R147, two questions for you.

How old are you?

What are some records released in the last 30 years you would recommend?

by Anonymousreply 15101/07/2013

The Great Gatsby was never meant to have rap music, what is wrong with the director??

by Anonymousreply 15201/07/2013

It's nice that this thread has provided a home for the various retards of DL.

by Anonymousreply 15301/07/2013

I hope R147 answers those questions.

by Anonymousreply 15401/08/2013

R147? Are you going to answer the questions?

by Anonymousreply 15501/08/2013

I would love to hear what R147 would recommend. I hope he responds.

by Anonymousreply 15601/08/2013

Hey, there ankle-biting twerps and twits!

Sorry to keep you lowlifes waiting.

I didn't realize I was a short order cook for music suggestions. Oh, right, I'm not!

A bit insistent, aren't you, beyotches? What sad little lives you lead.

Let's see. I've shared multi-syllabic pseudo-scholarly critiques of the genre which apparently befuddle your small minds so much you can't even respond to it with anything other than "You're old."

I've linked representative examples of the genre that use the offensive terminology which you simpletons use as a weapon.

And yet, the Asberger's drone has yet to share a single work of music by one of these alleged wonderful hip hop "Artistes"... perhaps because he can't.

Why don't you show me up, you insipid worms? Hmm?

Show me and others some wonderful examples of hip hop "artiste"-ery that will knock my socks off!

Perhaps some Nicki "Fright Wig" Minaj; you know, the talentless bitch who threatened to shoot Maria Carey with a gun?

Or maybe that other no-talent bitch who called Perez a "Faggot?"

SO MANY huge talents to choose from.

Come one, pimples, er, people. Step it up.

by Anonymousreply 15701/08/2013

Answer the questions.

by Anonymousreply 15801/08/2013

Answer MY questions, quisling ankle-biter!

by Anonymousreply 15901/08/2013

You might as well put Nicki Minaj to score a 20s film, it's totally redundant.

by Anonymousreply 16001/08/2013

Fucking coward.

by Anonymousreply 16101/08/2013

I've turned. I now enjoy R129. She's like that drunk aunt at Thanksgiving. You want to hate her, you do hate everything she says, but you can't help but find her provincially charming as she wraps herself in a self made, moth attacked, winter shawl on the couch, sips her boxed White Zin, states loudly that she could have made much better mashed potatoes, and comments over and over how her cats are all secretly brilliant.

You just sit and watch her unravel, mildly melancholic, knowing that when she dies, which will be soon, no one will be at the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 16201/08/2013

Thanks, 131/162 etc., for once again showing off your community college creative writing 101 skills. B+ for you!

Now, back to the point: hip hop that doesn't suck?

Prove your point.

You too, cuntlette R161. YOU are the coward.

by Anonymousreply 16301/08/2013

The trailer is good, but the music is loud and awful.

by Anonymousreply 16401/08/2013

Of course, R163 can't even name any albums from the past 30 years.

Also, R163, there is clearly more than one person having this conversation with you.

by Anonymousreply 16501/08/2013

Of course, 165, the ankle-biting troll, can't name ANY good hip hop "artistes" because s/he don't know what the fuck it's talking about.

You're just a simpering cubiclite whose favorites are generic Lite FM that you're forced to listen to because the domineering frau in your nearby cubicle reminds you too much of your mother.

Name some hop hop "Artistes" that aren't shit, you little weasel.

by Anonymousreply 16601/08/2013

Thanks, r149. It is common knowlege that Jay Zzzz was only moderately interesting when he ran with Foxy Brown. He's been stealing from the best for years. The only reason he holds the "crown" is because the real greats of Hip Hop dropped out of the game or are dead.

by Anonymousreply 16701/08/2013

R166 isn't answering because he is completely ignorant to modern music.

by Anonymousreply 16801/08/2013

Oh, I'm sorry. Are you presuming that I'm some sort of servant to give you what you demand when you snap your fingers, like a...

...Hmm, what's the word?

R168, you slithering weasel. I already posted half a dozen music videos, you shit-licking little worm.

by Anonymousreply 16901/09/2013

Bitch got a voice full of money shots

Who got the big rocks? She does...lots

by Anonymousreply 17101/13/2013

I'm thinking Baz wants Jay to put together some songs like this one that uses an old Etta James vocal.

by Anonymousreply 17201/13/2013

Or like this from Xtina's album.

by Anonymousreply 17301/13/2013

I've got a great idea. Why don't they find old music from that era and use it in the movie? Kind of like Paper Moon did. Why pollute a bad movie with even worse music?

by Anonymousreply 17401/13/2013

"I'm thinking Baz wants Jay to put together some songs like this one that uses an old Etta James vocal."

Yes, because thieving and appropriation are the only talents of such an "artist."

by Anonymousreply 17501/14/2013

Your all fucking RACIST!

by Anonymousreply 17601/14/2013

"Your all fucking RACIST!"

Your all fucking racist WHAT, you illiterate cunt?

by Anonymousreply 17701/14/2013

No r175 I was thinking more along the lines of the idea that perhaps Baz wants that blending of the old with the new for the soundtrack of the film. He used contemporary songs in Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge so this won't be the first time he is using popular music in a period film.

by Anonymousreply 17801/14/2013

First, Will Smith as James West. Now Leo as Gatsby. Some directors come up with some very asinine choices. I won't be watching this crap fest so I could give a shit about the music.

by Anonymousreply 17901/15/2013

R178, thanks. Yes, I know that, and actually like Baz's other films you mentioned for their eclectic experimentation.

I don't mind the idea of a hip hop score, but hearing that Jay-Zzzz is probably just going to grave-rob Etta James or something like that only proves my oft-repeated point that many in this genre are just musical thieves and no-talents.

The irony is, of course, that the cement-headed "You're old" creep doesn't realize how fuckin' OLD Jay-Z is!

He's a mixer, then, not a composer. Nothing wrong with collage (see link). It's just not original.

As for Leo, yes, R179. I don't like his crabapple adult-baby face ('Family Guy's Stewie!) He's once again wrong for a role, and the movie will suffer for it.

by Anonymousreply 18001/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.