Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Tilda Swinton the ugliest film actress working today?

I know some kind soul will pipe in with a lie about how they find her attractive but it will be purely bullshit. So is she the ugliest film actress alive?

by Anonymousreply 17601/08/2015

Are you forgetting Linda Hunt?

by Anonymousreply 101/03/2013

She can certainly be plain to a fault. I just stumbled upon "The Island" and at various points she looks something between a boiled potato and a smacked ass.

She can also be quite attractive and arresting, elegant and beautiful even.

Chameleons are always more interesting than beauty pageant winners.

by Anonymousreply 301/03/2013

I don't think they sell Prada at Chico's.

by Anonymousreply 401/03/2013

Aww poor plain jane OP needs to feel better today?

by Anonymousreply 601/03/2013

I am feeling a little down today, R6, but this linked picture will help me feel better about myself. Thanks for the concern though!

by Anonymousreply 701/03/2013

if this is ugly than let me be it

by Anonymousreply 901/03/2013

R8/R9 has done his or her good deed for the day. That was kind of you. I hope you kept a straight face when you posted that picture you liked to in R9.

by Anonymousreply 1001/03/2013

Sometimes she is ugly, sometimes gorgeous. She is androgynous and weirdly asexual looking. The picture @R9 is beautiful. I think she would look much more feminine if she wore her hair longer.

by Anonymousreply 1101/03/2013

please post a picture illustrating your notion of an attractive woman, OP ,so that we can better understand where Tilda falls short, in your regard.

by Anonymousreply 1201/03/2013

Only because Tori Spelling doesn't make movies.

by Anonymousreply 1301/03/2013

Any other shallow musings you'd like to share today, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1401/03/2013

Well whaddya know. Gay men CAN get PMS!

by Anonymousreply 1501/03/2013

Well since you asked, R12, I might role play heterosexual for one night if this walked into my room.

by Anonymousreply 1601/03/2013

To be fair, you should post a picture of Natalie Wood without makeup.

by Anonymousreply 1701/03/2013

Or post Natalie Wood in her current state.

by Anonymousreply 1801/03/2013

Not as long as Christina Ricci is alive.

by Anonymousreply 1901/03/2013

I'd still take Natalie in her current state over Tilda!

by Anonymousreply 2001/03/2013

I thought she was gorgeous in Edward II (see photo with knife at link).

by Anonymousreply 2201/03/2013

I love her as an actress, but I do not find her even remotely attractive. Frances McDormand is also one of my favorite actresses, and she is also on the homely side. Don't even get me started on Ruth Gordon, who I adored.

But beautiful or even pretty? No.

by Anonymousreply 2501/03/2013

...compared to whom? She has that British, ethereal beauty that doesn't really suit our modern sensibilities.

As far as ugly, I think DL's favorite, Julia Roberts, has the largest hat in that ring.

by Anonymousreply 2601/03/2013

r24, at 48, I guess I qualify as an eldergay. You're talking out of your ass, hunty!

by Anonymousreply 2701/03/2013

Hello?!

by Anonymousreply 2801/03/2013

She was best friends with Derek Jarman and is a fantastic actress.

OP is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2901/03/2013

R5/OP demands ONLY the answer he wants to hear.

OP - you're a fucking moron. She's not classically beautiful, but she's certainly still gorgeous - but you probably only like Causasians.

by Anonymousreply 3101/03/2013

She's une jolie-laide, and a fierce bitch at that. Handsome boyfriend/lover AND husband, couture wardrobe, lauded actress.

by Anonymousreply 3201/03/2013

R32 sums it up perfectly. You can think she's ugly as sin but she's laughing all the way to the bank. I think she's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 3301/03/2013

Not ugly ugly, just...unusual looking.

by Anonymousreply 3401/03/2013

She's beautiful, but non in a conventional way. In some ways I think that's what makes her a great actress because she looks the part. Could you ever see Angeline Jolie as a suburban mom in "We Need to Talk About Kevin"? She looked like frazzled mom character, but she can also look completely glamous.

by Anonymousreply 3501/03/2013

OP you're fucked. Have you seen 'I Am Love'?! Gorgeous in Jil Sander.

by Anonymousreply 3601/03/2013

Image from I Am Love

by Anonymousreply 3701/03/2013

She is fucking glamorous and gorgeous as hell in I am Love

by Anonymousreply 3901/03/2013

Most women/people who fall under the definition of jolie-laide I find myself very attracted to, much more attracted than I am to conventionally gorgeous people.

by Anonymousreply 4001/03/2013

I don't find her attractive but I think Ugly is an overused word for people who are plain or just not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 4101/03/2013

Well, OP, she's definitely an acquired taste type of beauty.

I think her face is timeless. She's mesmerizing on the big screen. She can convincingly play frumpy and elegant, sometimes in the same film (We need to talk about Kevin).

And as R32 pointed out, cool as shit.

by Anonymousreply 4401/03/2013

bruce jenner is honey

by Anonymousreply 4501/03/2013

Despite my remarks about her looks, I actually think she's very cool, R44. She's definitely one of the best actors working today. I was thrilled when she won the Oscar for Michael Clayton.

by Anonymousreply 4601/03/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4701/03/2013

she's like the model kristen mcmenamy - not conventionally beautiful. but absolutely fascinating to look at. beguiling even. that's what makes her so sexy.

by Anonymousreply 4801/03/2013

Have resented having TS shoved down my throat by the Global Hipster Industrial Internet Complex, as well as Charlotte Gainsbourg. But I recognize her as a strong actress with staying power -- the Jarman film and Michael Clayton drew on great depth and vulnerability.

by Anonymousreply 4901/03/2013

I don't find her attractive at all, much less beautiful. She looks odd, like an alien. In so many pictures I've seen of her she appears lashless, eyebrow-less and ghostly pale. Her hair seems unnatural somehow, like she's trying to disguise hair loss or something. She's very strange to look at, but obviously a lot of people like that. But she's definitely NOT beautiful or even pretty.

by Anonymousreply 5001/03/2013

I wish I were this ugly:

by Anonymousreply 5101/03/2013

Find a photo of Tilda and anyone, and I guarantee you Tilda's the one you'll be looking at.

by Anonymousreply 5301/03/2013

She is cold looking but can be incredibly sensuous as in I am Love. I love women who look like her. She could be beautiful in a more conventional sense but she is too cool for it. I think she is fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 5401/03/2013

[quote]And I truly believe that no one outside her family honestly finds her the tiniest bit attractive.

I think your own thread, OP, proves otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 5501/03/2013

She looks like she is from another era. People used to say the same about Carol Kane.

by Anonymousreply 5601/03/2013

I think she's amazing looking, beautiful but not pretty. She makes me think of medieval beauty. It helps that her skin is perfect.

In many of her roles, I haven't been able to take my eyes off her. That's beauty.

Natalie Wood was more pretty than beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 5801/03/2013

r 58 is correct, Tilda has the type of face that was considered ideal in medieval and renaissance times (see link)

Anyone with a provisional awareness of art history or comparative cultures would recognize that the standard of beauty varies widely from person to person, from time to time and from culture to culture, and would be able to appreciate beauty that came in versions other the that exhibited by Natalie Wood...

op is like an unsophisticated child who points at anything that doesn't fit into their narrow construct of what is acceptable, and calls it a monster.

by Anonymousreply 5901/03/2013

Tilda at home in Scotland with her dog.

by Anonymousreply 6001/03/2013

The woman is so not ugly, she is fascinating to look at.

by Anonymousreply 6101/03/2013

Another outtake from a photo shoot at her home:

by Anonymousreply 6201/03/2013

I thought TS was stunning as the androgynous archangel Gabriel in Constantine.

And I second Charlotte Gainsbourg as the ugliest. Just hideous. And that Lemon Incest song she did with her creepy dad!

by Anonymousreply 6301/03/2013

[quote]I think she's amazing looking, beautiful but not pretty. She makes me think of medieval beauty.

THIS. Perfect. I think she's very glamorous, interesting, and truly fierce. And a hell of an actress. Interesting that her fame came so late in the usual lifespan of an actress.

by Anonymousreply 6401/03/2013

She's like Cate Blanchett in that she isn't actually beautiful, but she can play beautiful women.

It's a combination of force of personality, acting skill, and just being photogenic. A person can be photogenic without being good-looking, the camera loves them and they capture your eyes when they're on the screen. Swinton is very photogenic, her face is always interesting even if she's in no makeup, or made to look wierd.

by Anonymousreply 6501/03/2013

R66, you are just repeating yourself, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6701/03/2013

She is stylish, very intelligent, and cool. She can look attractive, and in some films she can look bad for a role, and she goes for it and doesn't care! Very unique, I think she's great.

by Anonymousreply 6801/03/2013

[quote]You can think she's ugly as sin but she's laughing all the way to the bank.

A similar comment can be made about almost everybody shat upon on DL, yet that certainly doesn't stop any of you from doing so. I always laugh when you people get your y-fronts in a knot and make exceptions and protestations for the celebs you like, yet it's always no holds barred for those you dislike.

by Anonymousreply 6901/03/2013

That would be a stretch, to say she is ugly. She is kind of odd looking but I don't think it's ugly.

by Anonymousreply 7101/03/2013

[quote]I just stumbled upon "The Island" and at various points she looks like something between a boiled potato and a smacked ass.

I clicked on this thread expecting to be pissed at the misogyny but this is fucking hilarious. Thanks, R3.

by Anonymousreply 7301/03/2013

I find her insanely interesting looking. I don't even think about beauty in her case because her face and style are just brilliant.

Now, Dale Dickey (Winter's Bone, True Blood) gets a lot of work and is not so nice looking but she is great actress. Plus, she looks chill in that meth-head chic kind of way. I'd hang out with her.

by Anonymousreply 7401/04/2013

[quote]She looks like she is from another era.

Change "era" to "species" and I'll agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 7501/04/2013

I agree with the OP. She is ugly and she can take the alien featured Lily Cole with her. Great bone structure, doe eyes, ugly as fuck.

I have never NEVER ever met any man gay or straight that mentions Tilda Swinton on the atrractive scale let alone beautiful. Good bone stucture does not mean attractive or beautiful.

Tori Spelling has great cheek bones and doe eyes and is natures monkey moose.

by Anonymousreply 7601/04/2013

Would have responded sooner but I was too busy gouging my eyeballs out with knitting needles after looking at so many TS pics. She IS a good actress however.

by Anonymousreply 7701/04/2013

Another vote for "I Am Love", in which she's pure beauty and sex and talent. She plays a Russian woman who's assimilated into bourgeois Milanese society. Not even DL's beloved Streep could do justice to this gorgeous film.

by Anonymousreply 7801/04/2013

If her face seems like it belongs to another era, that's largely because she's one of the few women in publiclife who ever appears without makeup. No other moder woman is willing to let the world see her naturally pale eyelashes and eyebrows, and her thin lips unpainted and unplumped.

The other reason her face looks so old-fashioned is because her eyes are so very large. Many old portraits show women with huge, pale-lashed eyes, it's how painters flattered their subjects in the pre-makeup eras.

by Anonymousreply 7901/04/2013

Hahaha this is fucked up, tilda looks almost human in a wig. im sorry i have to say without a doubt the ugliest actress ive seen in ages is noomi rapace. yuck, why has she gotten parts in america, send that shit back!

by Anonymousreply 8006/08/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8106/08/2013

I think Tilda is the female version of Benedict Cumberbatch. They are strange looking but somehow their looks draw you in. I find them both very attractive now but not when I first saw them.

by Anonymousreply 8206/08/2013

She looks like David Bowie. Sometimes her "acting" is just looking washed out and haggard with her mouth hanging open.

by Anonymousreply 8306/08/2013

Her new film Only Lovers Left Alive looks fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 8406/08/2013

I don't find her particularly ugly but rather pretentious to the point of annoying.

by Anonymousreply 8506/08/2013

I am a straight woman and I have found her fascinating and sexy ever since seeing her in Orlando. I also liked her in Michael Kelly with Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 8606/08/2013

OP is obviously a troll. Tilda Swinton is obviously one of the most striking women alive.

by Anonymousreply 8706/08/2013

It doesn't stop her making movies with a naked Ewan McGregor, or that Italian hunk she got frisky with in 'I Am Love'! - and hanging out with Bowie for his new video, and she sometimes looks stunning at red carpet events as she certainly knows how to wear clothes.

by Anonymousreply 8806/08/2013

No, she's not.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 8906/08/2013

I've seen her in persona and she was stunning and dressed fabulously.

by Anonymousreply 9006/08/2013

Another vote for absolutely gorgeous- and more so in person.

by Anonymousreply 9206/09/2013

I can't wait to see her with Tom Hiddleston in Only Lovers Left Alive.

by Anonymousreply 9306/09/2013

She looks like David Bowie.

by Anonymousreply 9406/09/2013

Her pointed nose and sharp, narrow features paired with her pitch black pupils makes her resemble a great white shark.

by Anonymousreply 9506/09/2013

OP let's see your pic ok??

by Anonymousreply 9606/09/2013

She's scary

by Anonymousreply 9706/09/2013

She needs her ass back in that glass box

by Anonymousreply 9806/09/2013

I walked right into her in a lobby and she is tall and gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 9906/09/2013

I think she is attractive and unique

by Anonymousreply 10006/09/2013

If you had to be a woman in your next life, would choose Tilda Swinton's looks as your vehicle? The answer is no. She's at the back of the line, in any century.

by Anonymousreply 10106/09/2013

Oh, and you people remind me of the same people who went gaga over Susan Boyle. Makes you feel better about yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 10206/09/2013

Who cares? She's about the best actor there is just now. And I wasn't even a fan till I Am Love and Julia.

by Anonymousreply 10306/09/2013

I now want to see her in 'The Deep End' again, and 'I Am Love'. Two of her most stunning roles.

by Anonymousreply 10406/10/2013

People saying she's beautiful and shit are crazy. Charlize is beautiful dumbasses, tilda? well fuck..

by Anonymousreply 10506/11/2013

r105 there are people who find Pamela Anderson, Sofia Vergara or any of those overdone housewives beautiful. With AND without makeup, Tilda wins hands down. Just because people find TS beautiful doesn't mean she outshines other conventional beauties.

by Anonymousreply 10606/11/2013

I recently saw an old movie on TV starring Tilda Swinton when she was younger, and she was very lovely looking and very good looking.

She was a beautiful woman at that time.

The movie was filled with sex - cannot remember the title.

by Anonymousreply 10706/11/2013

It was on Sundance Channel or Independent Film Channel.

by Anonymousreply 10806/11/2013

It can't have been Young Adam, cause she's ugly in that one. Plenty of sex though. Stars Ewan McGregor's cock. Damn fine actress and I agree with the beautiful/ugly depending on a lot of things. She'll be the one you'll be looking at that's for sure. And much as I hated the Jarmush movie Broken Flowers, her I loved in that. As always. Can't think of a single movie where she bored me.

The interview she gives in the extra features from the I am Love dvd is excellent. Especially the part about being an actress. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 10906/11/2013

Tilda wasn't in Broken Flowers for more than 60 seconds. Did you love Ellen Burstyn in Mrs. Harris as well?

by Anonymousreply 11006/11/2013

[quote]Those who say she is attractive are star fuckers or simply nice people.

This sort of attitude mystifies me. Why is it that so many on DL can't accept that people find different sorts of looks and people attractive? It's what makes the world an interesting place. Too many people on here act like stupid little fascists.

Or maybe we've just got publicists from rival actresses working overtime..

by Anonymousreply 11106/11/2013

[quote]If you had to be a woman in your next life, would choose Tilda Swinton's looks as your vehicle?

Fuck yes!

by Anonymousreply 11206/11/2013

Her eyes are a stunning shade of deep green. Rare.

by Anonymousreply 11306/11/2013

Please. She's a female David Bowie. She's badass. She's perfect!

by Anonymousreply 11406/11/2013

[quote]If you had to be a woman in your next life, would choose Tilda Swinton's looks as your vehicle?

Hell, yeah!

by Anonymousreply 11506/11/2013

It may have been "Female Perversions," R107.

by Anonymousreply 11606/11/2013

Dear R110, I hated the film Broken Flowers. Tilda Swinton had a very brief appearance, but sadly that was the only thing I enjoyed from the film.

That's how much I hated that film, what can I say?

by Anonymousreply 11706/11/2013

I've tried and tried since this thread was new to name someone homelier than Tilda, and it's still not coming...honestly.

by Anonymousreply 11806/11/2013

Jane Adams.

by Anonymousreply 11906/11/2013

R17 I liked seeing her in it too, even for a minute. I didn't hate the film, most of it sucked, but there were a few great parts. Sevigny and Lange as lesbian lovers, lol, they really nailed that shit, and the Frances Conroy segment was heartbreaking, if nothing else Broken Flowers is the only time Conroy got to do something special on film instead of tv imo

by Anonymousreply 12006/11/2013

She ain't no beauty queen but she's definitely not the ugliest actress working today. She's weird looking but not entirely unattractive and incredibly talented.

And I love her.... Julia is a masterpiece and she is wonderful in it.

by Anonymousreply 12106/11/2013

Perhaps, now that Shelly Duvall is "retired."

by Anonymousreply 12206/11/2013

She is now the face of Chanel according the full page adverts here in the English papers. Not bad for someone "ugly" !

by Anonymousreply 12506/12/2013

Interesting since she doesn't need the money r125 - she was born to a Lord with plenty of cash.

by Anonymousreply 12606/12/2013

here's the Chanel ads in the UK

by Anonymousreply 12706/12/2013

She has come a long way and paid her dues - I remember her in a terrific British tv series back in the 90s maybe, "Your Cheating Heart" where she looked so individual and had great music.

by Anonymousreply 12806/12/2013

Tilda doesn't need our approval - according to imdb she has several projects in pre and post-production.

by Anonymousreply 12906/12/2013

Tilda's out of the running for fugly since Amanda Plummer turned up once more, on off-Broadway stages. And Amanda's co-star give all of them a run for their money.

by Anonymousreply 13006/24/2013

I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 13209/27/2013

OP, google "Joan Cusack" and then answer your own question.

by Anonymousreply 13309/27/2013

She is pale and fugly

by Anonymousreply 13412/13/2013

ONTD find her outstanding, but they also worship Britney Shit, Xtina and Tom Hiddleston so obviously they have shitty taste.

I wound't say she's ugly but too weird for me and certainly not appealing.

by Anonymousreply 13612/13/2013

She would be an ugly dyke.

by Anonymousreply 13812/13/2013

She has no eyelashes.

by Anonymousreply 13912/13/2013

She reminds me of David Bowie.

by Anonymousreply 14012/13/2013

Poor Mathilda (pronounced Maah Thiil Duh). Naturally we all weren't blessed with the proper breeding, hereditary talent & world renown Blonde good looks but thanks to my newsletter EVERYONE can look, live & feel as beautiful as an Academy Award-Winning Hollywood Legend!

by Anonymousreply 14112/13/2013

Joan Cusack? You think our Joanie is ugly? Begone troll.

"What did they give me?"

"Malibuuu Barbieee!"

"They had to go!"

by Anonymousreply 14212/13/2013

"She has no eyelashes."

Of course she does, but she's the only actress in the world who's willing to appear without heavy black mascara.

It's one of the things that gives her Period Film Face.

by Anonymousreply 14312/13/2013

Beauty is only skin deep.

But ugly goes straight to the bone.

by Anonymousreply 14412/13/2013

I was not able to find a picture, but Tilda was absolutely stunning as Isabella in Derek Jarman's "Edward II" from the early '90s.

by Anonymousreply 14512/13/2013

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That is what bowsers always say, though.

by Anonymousreply 14612/13/2013

She's a great actress. Loved her in Julia.

I think she's interesting looking but not conventionally attractive.

by Anonymousreply 14712/13/2013

Not so long as there are daughters she isn't, OP.

by Anonymousreply 14812/13/2013

[quote]I think she's interesting looking but not conventionally attractive.

Translation: ugly.

by Anonymousreply 14912/13/2013

Tilda's one nasty looking lady. She's a pretty good actress and she's a communist too! But damn she's one nasty looking lady.

by Anonymousreply 15002/28/2014

I always enjoy her turning up on the red carpet. She's other-worldly in an interesting way.

Does she tip the velvet, girls?

by Anonymousreply 15102/28/2014

No.

In "Constantine" her look was especially striking, unique, powerful, yet lovely. In "Burn After Reading," her look was classy, smart, polished, and powerful. All because of her ability to believe in each character's qualities.

Also a great (though controversial) actress.

Just wait, now that Cate has paved the way for such, next is Tilda's turn.

by Anonymousreply 15202/28/2014

the important thing is that Tilda's beautiful on the inside. She is a communist of which I admire greatly. Tilda is one of the greatest actresses ever. She is amazing and I know she will go down in cinema's history as one of the greatest! You go girl!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15304/11/2014

When did she says she's a communist?

by Anonymousreply 15404/12/2014

Yes beyond a shadow of a doubt! Ugly as fuck!

by Anonymousreply 15501/05/2015

She was fabulous in "Michael Clayton." She deserved the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 15601/05/2015

I'd like to pretend that R155 and R156 are the same poster.

by Anonymousreply 15701/05/2015

She aint got nuttin on me!

by Anonymousreply 15801/05/2015

Agree with R26.

by Anonymousreply 15901/05/2015

I remember thinking that in Edward II she looked oddly like Millicent Fenwick.

by Anonymousreply 16001/05/2015

There's something regal about her.

by Anonymousreply 16101/05/2015

I'm not a Brit so people who know better might explain it but I've understood that in the 80's some gays in the UK were communists. I assume it was mostly about being a counterforce against Thatcher. I remember Jimmy Somerville being, at least vaguely, one. I'm sure in Tilda's art-y circles being a communist was pretty normal if you wanted to be against the government.

And OP, fuck off. Tilda is a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 16201/05/2015

She's not a conventional beauty at all, but she's certainly not "ugly".

R1 Does she still work?

by Anonymousreply 16301/05/2015

Like Anjelica Huston,she can be either gorgeous or frightening. But a superb actress,unlike Meryl who is ugly and cant act a lick.

by Anonymousreply 16401/05/2015

Sarah Jessica Parker. At least she's thin and rich.

by Anonymousreply 16501/05/2015

I thought tom cruise was the ugliest actress working in the industry right now?

by Anonymousreply 16601/05/2015

She was born into landed gentry, and grew up in a very old manor house. She went to exclusive schools and was basically like an aristocrat.

by Anonymousreply 16701/05/2015

Gee OP there are so many ugly actresses. But you hit the nail on the head with Tilda. What a dog!

by Anonymousreply 16801/05/2015

Swinton's one of a handful of chicks who can ACT beautiful and be utterly convincing, even though she ain't all that to look at.

Glenn Close and Meryl Streep could do this, too ... or at least could when they were younger.

by Anonymousreply 16901/05/2015

She is in the top five.

by Anonymousreply 17001/05/2015

Tilda rocks

by Anonymousreply 17101/05/2015

This woman is a goddess who can't do any wrong in my book.

by Anonymousreply 17201/05/2015

TBH I don't really get how anyone can say Tilda is ugly. I think she's got great bone structure and quite symmetrical face. Her beauty is more on the fashion model side of beauty. There's something androgynous, something alien, about her.

The whole premise of this thread boggles the mind.

by Anonymousreply 17301/05/2015

I think Ruth Wilson is ugly. She looks like a lower class mentally challenged person who sucks her thumb and smells like dirty hair.

by Anonymousreply 17401/05/2015

She is a classic " handsome woman".. Not pretty, not beautiful, but striking and memorable....love her

by Anonymousreply 17501/05/2015

Tilda Swinton was around (and appreciated by those in the know) way before "the hipsters" discovered her, R49.

by Anonymousreply 17601/08/2015
Need more help? Click Here.