Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why does Colin Farrell still get asked to carry movies?

I like him, but come on. What was the last hit he had?

by Anonymousreply 4301/04/2013

The last thing I liked him in was this:

by Anonymousreply 101/02/2013

Kiss of Box Office Death. They need to stop paying these people big bucks for movies that should go right to PPV. I might spend 4.99 to see one of his movies but not 18.50.

by Anonymousreply 201/02/2013

You don't understand how google links work.

by Anonymousreply 301/02/2013

r3 - you don't understand how insignificant that is ...

by Anonymousreply 401/02/2013

They wanted him for Winter's Tale, but he was holding out for more money, because he had Total Recall, which turned out to be a bomb.

Apparently, someone connected to the film wanted Luke Evans, but somehow they worked a miracle and got Farrell to sign on the dotted line.

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2013

I have no idea. I also don't understand why Hollywood insists on always trying to make actors from the UK, Ireland, and Australia the "star" of movies. If they're really a good actor and right for the part, fine. But most of the time the foreign actors they choose are wooden.

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2013

Colon's a hot guy but he's a shitty actor. In addition they are only so many Hollywood Queens that will blow you like Joel Schumacher and Kevin Spacey. after awhile he'll have to do all the sucking. Not only on the stage and on the silver screen but in the boudoir as well....

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2013

R7 most international money DOES NOT come from the UK, Ireland or Australia.

Winter's Tale is going to be such a gigantic bomb, I am surprised that it got financing. Scorcese couldn't make this movie, and Akiva Goldsman will, on his first try? Seriously, Colin Farrell and Russell Crowe? Is this 2003? And the leading lady is Lady Sybil from Downton Abbey? How many tickets can she sell?

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2013

let's us suck his hot cock and lick his hairy hole

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2013

The point R10, regardless of your feelings about Colin Farrell or anybody else, is that it's a global market open to a global talent pool. Hollywood isn't just about American talent. Never has been.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2013

R10 I agree with you. Nobody cares about Russell Crowe or Colin Farrell anymore. I don't know why they keep getting big roles.

Same for Gerard Butler. Can't act worth shit and his movies bomb one after another. Hollywood just can't seem to let go of their UK/Ireland/Australia leading man obsession, even if the person has minimal talent.

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2013

I have an actor friend who didn't start getting parts until he adopted a fake (but I assume passable) British accent at auditions and lied and said his mother was British.

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2013

CF was in the one half-decent film last year, *7 Psychopaths*, and by the way he looked great.

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2013

[quote]I have an actor friend who didn't start getting parts until he adopted a fake (but I assume passable) British accent at auditions and lied and said his mother was British.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I don't understand WTF is so great about British, Irish, and Aussie accents. Are the casting directors trying to please the flyover fraus who have never traveled out of the country and actually think a British accent is something special? Hell, go to any big city and you can hear accents from all over the world.

Maybe I'm just not impressed because I've traveled to a lot of different countries and lived in big cities where hearing accents don't impress me.

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2013

R16--that sounds like what Emma Thompson did on that famous "Ellen" she guess starred at where she admitted she was a Midwestern who faked an English accent to get better parts.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2013

Can the board really get rid of people like r12 and R13? Seriously. It offends me greatly.

Primarily as an English speaker.

It would be one thing to claim that casting an Anglo/Australian actor would give the film international appeal IF the actor were playing an Anglo/Australian character, but most of the time they are playing Americans.

So yeah, it does appear that casting directors are elitist when it comes to giving parts to foreigners. Someone in another thread pointed out that Chris Hemsworth was plucked off an Australian soap opera and given "Thor"; when was the last time an American soap actor was given that kind of opportunity?

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2013

R10,you are correct.But you are thinking small.Remember, people in Spain,Germany,Italy,France,Russia,Japan etc. go to the movies. Those markets like Euro actors in american films.Whats about to happen now is that Hollywood wants the China market.They are planning on filming Transformers 4 in China with a chinese production company.What does that mean...well it means that Transformers 4 will be released nation wide in China.The chinese are weird when it comes to showing foreign films in their country.

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2013

Did anyone read the blind item reveal about him?

Basically it said Angelina Jolie was obsessed with him during the filming of Alexander and he slept with her but wasn't interested in a relationship.

Shortly thereafter she "settled" for Brad Pitt

it was a CDAN reveal.

by Anonymousreply 2201/04/2013

Well the Chinese government might be weird about showing foreign films in their country but the people love foreign films. Pirating American films is huge in China they steal so much of our shit it's stupid. While our gov't cracks down on our internet downloading they are busy robbing our intellectual property blind. So if we could get their leaders to release our movies there we'd do great in China.

by Anonymousreply 2301/04/2013

[quote]Remember, people in Spain,Germany,Italy,France,Russia,Japan etc. go to the movies. Those markets like Euro actors in american films.

Audiences in Germany or Japan do not give a shit where Colin Farrell comes from. They don't even hear Colin's voice when they go see him in the movies.

You win the award for "dumbest line of reasoning of the day."

by Anonymousreply 2401/04/2013

R20 many Australian actors DO come from soapies but that doesn't mean that they're bad actors:

Heath Ledger, Guy Pearce, Naomi Watts, Russell Crowe, Melissa George, Ryan Kwanten, Eric Bana, Isla Fisher, Jesse Spencer, Alan Dale, Julian McMahon, the Hemsworth brothers and the list goes on. Get over it.

Many of these guys are trained actors too, and in some cases very good at what they do (not the last few names on the list above though).

Australian soaps are not quite as simplistic as your average American soap from what I've seen. They've turned out to be good training grounds.

It would be so boring if non-American actors were banned from Hollywood. Can you imagine? even more roles for mediocre actors like Matthew McConaughey and Channing Tatem.

by Anonymousreply 2501/04/2013

He's cute as fuck and a reasonably good actor

by Anonymousreply 2601/04/2013

he cums on command

by Anonymousreply 2701/04/2013

US soaps are barely the same thing as Australian and English soaps. England in particular has a lot of West End stage actors working in soaps because they're filmed nearby.

There's no real pattern to how stars are "chosen" or made. Yes, there might be US actors who could play the same roles, but the film industry has never been about hiring who is automatically the best for the job. *Sideways glance at Amanda Seyfried.

by Anonymousreply 2801/04/2013

To answer the main question:

For one, he's beautiful. Went to see Seven Psychopaths with a straight male friend of mine--even he remarked about how beautiful Farrell was. "Every shot with him was like a Calvin Klein commercial."

Similarly, took two female anti-Farrell friends to see Fright Night. He oozed sex in that movie. They were converted.

by Anonymousreply 2901/04/2013

[quote]He's cute as fuck and a reasonably good actor.

Obviously not enough to make people want to go see his movies, hence all the flops he's done.

So it goes back to the original question: Why is he still getting lead roles when his movies don't make money?

by Anonymousreply 3001/04/2013

Male actors/directors get a lot of leeway even when they repeatedly act in/direct bombs.

by Anonymousreply 3101/04/2013

[quote]Male actors/directors get a lot of leeway even when they repeatedly act in/direct bombs.

Well, I guess when the studios that hire these box office poison actors get tired of losing money, maybe they'll wake up and try different actors.

by Anonymousreply 3201/04/2013

R28, last time I checked Elstree Studios, Manchester and the Yorkshire Dales are nowhere near the West End.

You don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 3301/04/2013

R23,you are correct.The Hollywood films are dubbed in the native language of the country.That is true.But the overseas markets love the idea of euro actors in american films.They love american actors.Remember,american film studios spend the most money on films in the world.The reason why american films suck alot is that so the overseas markets audience can understand the film and the films can be easily translated for the overseas markets.Thats why the american films have little to no american culture references in them.Years ago american movie stars would do alot of commericals overseas,like Brad Pitt,Harrison Ford,etc so they would keep their marketability in the overseas market.Its changed now,because movie stars are making a ton of money doing commericals in america and everywhere else.Remember Hollywood is about maketability and media surveys.

by Anonymousreply 3401/04/2013

Colin Farrell was great in In Bruges, London Boulevard, and Cassandra's Dream.

by Anonymousreply 3501/04/2013

He did a couple of good films I can think of off the top of my head: In Bruges and Triage. He is really quite handsome. Maybe he should have been a model.

by Anonymousreply 3601/04/2013

R34, did the school that taught you English not teach you that we put spaces after punctuation?

by Anonymousreply 3701/04/2013

I would fuck Colin Farrell in a heartbeat. He is one fuckable dude.

by Anonymousreply 3801/04/2013

Love him, but he works best with an ensemble. Loved him in ONDINE, TRIAGE, 7PSYCHES, IN BRUGES

I HEARD that the reason he signed on to Winter's Tale was so that WB would dump the production of the movie a Brit whack job wrote about her affair with CF.

That movie was fast tracked with names attached, but all have bowed out regardless of IMDB

CF does great accents. Only foreigner who does. I HATE the sound of a brit accent. Nails on a black board.

I always laugh when I think that the foreign WHITE people were hired to put African/Asian/Latino American actors further down the list.

by Anonymousreply 3901/04/2013

He's a dream to work with. Doesn't ask for a lot of money. Loves his job and is extremely professional and lovely to work with. His boozing is behind him and even when he was drinking he never missed a beat at work.

He's great looking, easy to photograph. Very well respected in the business. When your dream star falls through he's the go to guy to keep the project going forward.

by Anonymousreply 4001/04/2013

CDAN is BS. Brad Pitt is never 2nd best. AJ kept moving hotels to get away from junked up CF

Perfect Example: London Boulevard, great movie, except when that skank KeiraKnigh.. was on screen. Death to any movie.

Fright Night? *fainting* I watched it so many times, I think I'm pregnant

by Anonymousreply 4101/04/2013

[quote]CF does great accents.

He did not do a great accent in [italic]Ask the Dust[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 4201/04/2013

'Ask The Dusk' was a nice little film.

by Anonymousreply 4301/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!