Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lee Pace in Lincoln. Horrible.

I normally lust after the doe-eyed actor but he was the weak link in Lincoln. What a mannered performance.

by Anonymousreply 4001/07/2013

I kept waiting for him to get up on the desk and sing MOLASSES TO RUM, whip in hand.

Hail Charleston!

Hail Boston!

by Anonymousreply 201/02/2013

He was not great. He was awful and gave the only bad performance in the film. I've seen his performance brought up repeatedly on different film boards and it's never complimentary.

by Anonymousreply 301/02/2013

I thought he was great when I saw it but r2 does have a point, LOL...

It was a cartoon villain role and he did well with what I'm assumed with the director wanted him to do with it. I was never uninterested watching him act, and looked forward to when he was onscreen.

I could definitely see an Academy Award in Lee's future, he's definitely got what it takes.

by Anonymousreply 401/02/2013

Oh please, I saw the film and he gave a good performance...people simply didn't like the character, so they took it out on Pace. It's normal. Human beings often associate a character with the actor. He gave a solid performance...he can't help it if he has movie star good looks...which may take people out of the film?

by Anonymousreply 501/02/2013

I loved when he pulled down Truman Capote's pants down and threatened to rape him in "Infamous", hot!

by Anonymousreply 601/02/2013

[quote]people simply didn't like the character, so they took it out on Pace.

Dumbest logic ever. How many times has the bad guy won the Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 701/02/2013

I thought he was swell. Only the kid and Joseph Gordon-Levitt were out of their league.

by Anonymousreply 1001/02/2013

Good call, R10. The kid was horrible. Spielberg usually coaxes some decent performances out of child actors but that kid stunk.

by Anonymousreply 1101/02/2013

JLG was terrible, and I love him in everything else. It felt like he walked in from a different movie.

What was good about Lee's performance was that it felt like it "belonged" in the movie; the somewhat polished, actorly manner he performed in matched how everyone else was doing their roles.

by Anonymousreply 1201/02/2013

You people are ridiculous. JGL was fine...you guys have no imagination and obviously know nothing about acting.

by Anonymousreply 1301/02/2013

[quote]You people are ridiculous. JGL was fine...you guys have no imagination and obviously know nothing about acting.

And judging from JGL's performance in "Lincoln", neither does he.

by Anonymousreply 1401/02/2013

I wonder if Lee and JGL hooked up.

by Anonymousreply 1501/02/2013

Dear dear r6 that was James Bond...

by Anonymousreply 1601/03/2013

In Lincoln, Pace reminds me of John Lithgow for some reason. Usually a great actor, but sometimes threatens to go way over the top in some aspects.

by Anonymousreply 1701/03/2013

Speaking of Lee Pace channeling John Lithgow, did anyone think that Daniel Day Lewis blatantly channeled character actor Walter Brennan?

by Anonymousreply 1801/03/2013

Good analogy R17

by Anonymousreply 1901/03/2013

I spent the entire movie thinking Pace looked like Steve Coogan.

Didn't recognize him the day before as King Thranduil in "The Hobbit" either.

by Anonymousreply 2001/03/2013

R17 offers a brilliant response. Even at the height of his film success Lithgow, too, received criticism for being too hammy and over the top in his portrayals. I see striking similarities between Lithgow and Pace. Lithgow might well have embarrassed himself in the same role in Lincoln as well. Well done, R17.

by Anonymousreply 2101/03/2013

OP : "I normally lust after the doe-eyed actor but.."

Like usual, you sucked at lying OP. Find a new hobby.

by Anonymousreply 2201/03/2013

Lee Pace, James Spader and Peter McRobbie were the entertaining part in Lincoln. Imagine if Pace didn't act like that, his racist character will be anti-climactically boring and dull, his style of delivery was exactly what Spielberg and Kushner were looking for, and he did it brilliantly.

by Anonymousreply 2301/03/2013

[quote]JGL was fine...you guys have no imagination and obviously know nothing about acting.

If I have to imagine that someone's performance was good, it probably stank.

by Anonymousreply 2401/03/2013

It's the first film I can think of since Coal Miner's Daughter where Tommy Lee Jones really seems to stretch himself as an actor. Granted I haven't seen everything he's done, but I was impressed.

I was disturbed by how un-hot James Spader was. I was a teen when Secretary was released and he was the very definition of hot authority figure.

by Anonymousreply 2501/03/2013

The role of Robert Lincoln, in any movie, is a thankless one.

by Anonymousreply 2601/03/2013

[quote]I spent the entire movie thinking Pace looked like Steve Coogan. Didn't recognize him the day before as King Thranduil in "The Hobbit" either.

I saw Steve Coogan in "The Other Guys" thinking he looked like Lee Pace in Lincoln.

He (Pace) does looking good in The Hobbit, surpases that LOTR hero elf played by Orlando Bland.

by Anonymousreply 2701/03/2013

I agree with you OP about Lee Pace mannered performance. Overall, Lincoln is a good film, maybe a bit boring.

by Anonymousreply 2801/04/2013

The movie had too many false "Spielbergian" moments.

By late in the movie, Spader and the other political operatives became like The Three Stooges, total slapstick. It was the wrong movie for that.

by Anonymousreply 2901/04/2013

The most Spielbergian moment was when Lincoln was having a quiet talk with two clerks I think it was. He gets up to leave, there's a high angle wide shot with a little corridor of light, the camera lingers for fucking ever as the music swells and he leaves.

Similarly him walking down the hallway at the end. Both seem designed for us to see every little stumble and quirk of DDL's movements.

by Anonymousreply 3101/05/2013

R30 I'm not the OP but I agree with him. I don't like Lee Pace as an actor, too mannered. It's just an opinion. Easy.

by Anonymousreply 3201/05/2013

Lee is great. Too mannered? What the fuck does that even mean? Make sense. Too mannered...what an ignorant statement.

by Anonymousreply 3301/05/2013

When most people get older they lose their hotness...a very few keep it or even get better.

by Anonymousreply 3401/05/2013

I like what r12 said -- his flowery performance totally fit within the context of the other performances (EVERYBODY was hamming it a little bit, and I loved that; and that's perhaps why JGL seemed out his league -- he was giving a modern understated performance and it didn't mesh with the others).

Also, I never got the Lee Pace adoration until I saw him in "Lincoln" and then I was like, oh, yeah, fuck me now!

by Anonymousreply 3501/05/2013

Biggest disappointment as frontrunner for Best Picture since that ridiculous CGI mess "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" won.

by Anonymousreply 3601/05/2013

R 33 34 It means over the top, exaggerated. Simply, I don't like him. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 3701/05/2013

I'm wondering why suddenly people here are getting excited to comment about this actor's performance in this movie, and who is not DDL, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones, or even everybody's favourite Matt Bomer.

I saw the movie, all I can say is Pace, Spader, Mc Robbie and Tommy Lee amused me in a very good way. You replace them with other actors with no "mannered" performances, this movie is downright snoozefest, that you hipsters have said it yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 3801/05/2013

[quote]JGL seemed out his league -- he was giving a modern understated performance and it didn't mesh with the others).

JGL just doesn't fit in any historical role, unlike Pace, he was hamming it in the wrong way, he looked and sounded like a hipster kid smirking and mocking people around him.

by Anonymousreply 3901/05/2013

The only film with Lee Pace that I like is Soldier's girl.

by Anonymousreply 4001/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.