Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boehner Says He'll No Longer Negotiate with Obama

January 02, 2013

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) "is signaling that at least one thing will change about his leadership during the 113th Congress: he's telling Republicans he is done with private, one-on-one negotiations with President Obama," The Hill reports.

"During both 2011 and 2012, the Speaker spent weeks shuttling between the Capitol and the White House for meetings with the president in the hopes of striking a grand bargain on the deficit. Those efforts ended in failure, leaving Boehner feeling burned by Obama and, at times, isolated within his conference."

Instead, he'll try to "pass bills through the House that can then be adopted, amended or reconciled by the Senate."

by Anonymousreply 7301/04/2013

Fire him.

by Anonymousreply 101/02/2013

From the comments at Goddard's site:

[quote]Four years of, "Obama never reaches out! He dictates! He won't talk to us!" now we get, "I'm not talking to Obama anymore.

by Anonymousreply 201/02/2013

Rumors are flying o some rightwing sites that Boener will be announcing his resignation as Speaker tonight.

by Anonymousreply 301/02/2013

The President didn't fuck him over, his own caucus did.

by Anonymousreply 401/02/2013

Has Beohner ever actually negotiated with Obama?

by Anonymousreply 501/02/2013

The problem with having the entire Republican party owned by billionaires is that NOT ALL THE BILLIONAIRES ARE ON THE SAME PAGE.

The Koch brothers' people have different priorities from Sheldon Adelson's and so on. That's why it's really such a clusterfuck. It has nothing to do with Grover Norquist or the Tea Party (which, because the Koch brothers' operative didn't bother trademarking the name, metastasized out of control.)

by Anonymousreply 601/02/2013

If he's no longer going to meet with Obama does that mean Obama will stop giving everything away?

by Anonymousreply 701/02/2013

Jesus fucking christ, the President did not give everything away. What kind of idiot would say that when we can all see it's not true... oh wait, nevermind.

R7 = freeper shit stirrer

by Anonymousreply 801/02/2013

What kind of moron thinks that people earning $300,000 a year are not rich and are middle class Americans? Morons like R8 who think it's okay to avoid taxing the rich.

The Rethuglicunts got what they wanted in that sweet deal from Obama last night and idiots like r8 scream "freeper" at anyone who won't buy into their moronic belief that Obama is a leader.

by Anonymousreply 901/02/2013

Did the big bad President make you cry Johnny?

by Anonymousreply 1001/02/2013

No, asshole at r10. But he's pissing off a lot of people who have supported him and voted for him. And they are not "Freepers". Wake the fuck up you Kool Aid drinking zombies.

by Anonymousreply 1201/02/2013

Obama promised not to extend the Bush tax cuts on annual incomes above $250,000. He broke his promise and will continue to cave in to Republican demands. The Democrats don't have a leader in the Oval Office. He's a wimp.

by Anonymousreply 1301/02/2013

Idiots. Why did all but 85 Republicans vote against the deal, and why are the Tea Partiers in hysterics??

Obama got what he wanted you shit-stirring morons.

by Anonymousreply 1401/02/2013

Sigh.... What did he get for that "cave," R15? And how much did that "cave" really matter?

Sheesh... can we get some smarter monkeys, please?

by Anonymousreply 1601/02/2013

How fucking stupid are you, R15?

Have you ever negotiated for anything in your life? I know, you probably don't get many chances in your mom's basement but haven't you ever done anything on your own? Nevermind, the DL is nothing if not educational. I'll teach you how to do it.

You start your negotiations with one number, but you know that this number is not where you will end up. Everyone knows that this is not where you will end up.

The other side of the negotiation starts with their number, they also know that this will not be the final number. Everyone knows that this will not be the final number. You go back and forth, eventually agreeing on a number somewhere between each party's number.

Voila! A negotiation, a compromise, a deal. This is how adults do business, you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1701/02/2013

The Rethuglicunts and their policy on letting ANYBODY rich pay their share of taxes:

never never nevr never, never, never, never, never NEVER NEVER never never never never never never never nevr never, never, never, never, never never nevr never, never, never, never,

That didn't seem to work out very well for them.

by Anonymousreply 1801/02/2013

Compromise is for people who are on an equal footing, Numbnuts.

Did you miss the vote tally on that election back in November? Do you even remember the election or is your dementia kicking in?

Did you not see the votes Obama got with his $250,000 promise to the people. How stupid does someone have to be to not realize Obama held the winning hand in the poker game and he didn't have the skill to play that hand.

by Anonymousreply 1901/02/2013

I give him credit for trying really hard, glass half-empty R19, nutless wonder.

by Anonymousreply 2001/02/2013

[quote]Did you miss the vote tally on that election back in November?

Um, yeah: he won the popular vote by less than 3%, and unlike Bush 43, he was smart enough to realize that winning barely 50% of the vote doesn't mean he has a "mandate" to lead one-sidedly in his party's favor.

by Anonymousreply 2101/02/2013

We all got a increase in our federal payroll taxes. HAPPY NEW YEAR. THANK YOU OBAMA!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2201/02/2013

R21. Obama doesn't have the balls to fucking negotiate.

Obama was reelected with bwetween four and five percent of the vote and won the Electoral College by more than 125 votes.

He'll never have the upper hand like he did in Nov-Dec and he fucking caved--as usual.

Obama also campaigned for nearly two years saying that he would veto any bill that did not include taxing the wealthier among us starting at $250,000. Not fucking almost double that amount.

by Anonymousreply 2301/02/2013

Forget it, fellas. He said anything he had to to get re-elected. Then, within a week, he reneged on his campaign promise not to touch SS. Obama is just another self serving politician. Many people who voted for him will rationalize away his flip flopping, and make excuses for why he does what he does, because they can't face that fact. We're stuck with him for four more years. YEA, us!

by Anonymousreply 2401/02/2013

[quote]Did you miss the vote tally on that election back in November? Do you even remember the election or is your dementia kicking in?

I remember that the Republicans retained control of the House of Representatives. You may not like that fact that Republicans control half of the law making branch of our government, but they DO! And we have to deal with them as adults even when they act like children. The only alternative is to act just as badly as they do and get nothing accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 2501/02/2013

When did Boehner ever negotiate anything other than steep stairs after a drinking binge?

by Anonymousreply 2601/02/2013

When urchins such as R19 and R23 stop grandstanding and spouting unrealistic, incorrect silliness about the realities of getting anything done in Washington, we'll all be better off. For example, R23's acting as if Mr. Obama was reelected in part because of a particular income threshold for tax increases is ridiculous.

The president has been very clear from the start: He is the president of the whole country, and represents not only his party but the rest of the country, in all its diversity of beliefs and policy positions. This is not just an emulation of Lincoln's tactics, but a contemporary admission that in divisive times with half (yes, half) the country's citizens supporting a world-view at odds with his own, it is best to arrive at a solution that holds something for everyone. He does draw the line where he feels it is needed (at last, gay rights), but to give the finger to House at this stage would have produced exactly the stalemate we have avoided.

Nothing is forever. Mr. Obama has learned to take what he can get and then wait. Acting as if he will "never be in a better position than now" to throw out unstrategic ultimata is lunacy. There is no assurance that the Democrats will gain ground if they rush to the left as far as the Republicans have run to the right. In fact, he won reelection and Democrats saved their senate majority because they offered what appeared to be a more reasonable, moderate alternative to the right-wing Tea Party nuts.

I sometimes wonder if perhaps the yellers and screamers about Mr. Obama's failings are in their own little world as much as the Tea Party Fringe is. The Democrats - and the president - did not cave. The president accepted the opinions of the congressional leaders in his party - and Joe Biden - that the way to avoid catastrophe was to hit the targets hit. The Senate voted overwhelmingly in favor and the House resistance collapsed in the face of the corner the president put them in.

So stop soapbox ranting. Unless you actually are out of touch with reality, prefer the same kind of systemic collapse the Republican Right is trying to achieve, or are just trolling.

by Anonymousreply 2701/02/2013

R25 is correct. Like it or not, the American people voted to retain a republican majority in the House. You can blame gerrymandered districts and everything else, but the republican House is a reality and has to be worked with. Chris Matthews was saying the other night that the House didn't pay attention to the last election, I disagree. They retained their majority. The voters have spoken.

by Anonymousreply 2801/02/2013

It's people like R27 who sat around with Obama for a full year waiting for The Consensus. It never happened and anyone with a modicum of intellignce knew it would never happen.

Now it's obvious we've got a man in the White House who didn't learn his lesson from his first term. He'll go down in history with G.W. Bush and Warren G. Harding as the most ineffective Presidents to ever hold office in this nation.

by Anonymousreply 2901/02/2013

R27 is an apologist.

For two years, Obama campaigned on $250,000; "he would veto" any bill higher than that. Okay, fine, he needed to give up that amount. Then what was wrong with $300,000/$350,000?

Obama caved, and this issue isn't coming back for many years to come if ever. Obama had the strongest hand he'll ever have and then gave it away.

Call people "screamers," "grandstanders," etc. all you want. How do you explain Obama's campaign promise of $250,000? He ran for reelection; this is not his first time in office. He knows the financial facts. You're an apologist for Obama on this point important financial point.

by Anonymousreply 3001/02/2013

Thank you, R27.

by Anonymousreply 3101/02/2013

President Mitt what would HE have done?

by Anonymousreply 3201/02/2013

So many fucking apologists on here...

Obama won because the majority of Americans were sick and tired of Republicans and their policies. As we headed towards the cliff, poll after poll came out that the majority of Americans would blame Republicans if something went wrong.

So, what does Obama do? He caves. But his apologists are now saying he was "compromising" even though he sold out the majority of us who had his back.

How is he compromising? Imagine you were in a relationship with a spoiled bitch (the republicans) who said he picks the the restaurants they go out to 99% of the time, and then the other person (the democrats) said: Fine, I'll compromise: You get to pick the restaurants we eat at 85% of the time. a true compromise has parties meeting halfway, not caving in because the other party threw a hissy fit.

All you idiots still think it's republicans vs democrats. It's not. It's filthy rich vs poor, and every single politician will always side with the filthy rich.

by Anonymousreply 3301/02/2013

Boehner is a damn cunt, I hope he cries himself to death

by Anonymousreply 3401/02/2013

Speaker John Boehner can't deliver his caucus when he tries to get his OWN bills passed, so why should President Obama waste his time negotiating with a guy nobody listens to, who can't deliver a majority of his own caucus? John Boehner is about to be reelected the weakest Speaker of the House in American history. The fun is just getting started, folks.

by Anonymousreply 3501/02/2013

Diddo R35! The sooner Boehner goes away the more better off the country.

by Anonymousreply 3601/02/2013

The people in this thread who are attacking the President and spinning fantasies of Presidential omnipotence in government really need to get a grip.

Learn how the Executive and Congress work at a nuts and bolts, practical level. Learn how a bill becomes law. As a start I recommend that singing cartoon for children for obvious reasons.

Once you figure out how government and governing actually function, stop pretending candidates for office and elected politicians speak the gospel. This is not Sunday school.

Most importantly - shut up. Your ignorance is not useful.

by Anonymousreply 3701/03/2013

Make us, r37.

by Anonymousreply 3801/03/2013

Here you go, R38.

by Anonymousreply 3901/03/2013

[quote]The people in this thread who are attacking the President and spinning fantasies of Presidential omnipotence in government really need to get a grip.

One guy is swapping IP addresses but it's the same poster.

He's been at this before.

by Anonymousreply 4001/03/2013

Spare us r37. Congress is brimming with a sorrowfully bunch of degenerate crazed retards and Obama's a shamefully unimaginative pussy wimp at dealing with these stupid mofos.

by Anonymousreply 4101/03/2013

He *is* persistent, isn't he R40?

by Anonymousreply 4201/03/2013

Ghost of LBJ @ R41 is correct. It's all been downhill for Democrats since Nancy Pelosi announced "Impeachment is off the table."

The DINOs need to be swept from office and replaced with Democrats who will stand up against the Rovian Republicans. Obama sold out on this occasion and placed the party in a poorer position for any future determinations.

by Anonymousreply 4301/03/2013

I *heart* r39. I watched nd enjoyed that thing beginning to end.

by Anonymousreply 4401/03/2013

Next thing you know, we'll have Mr. Boehner crying on TV during an interview about how badly Obama treats him.

The idiot needs to acknowledge that his problem is his own party, not Obama.

by Anonymousreply 4501/03/2013

R23, just tell us which one of these you are:

out of touch with reality,

prefer the same kind of systemic collapse the Republican Right is trying to achieve,

or are just trolling.

by Anonymousreply 4601/03/2013

R46, can you prove what he said is wrong, or is your argument simply to make fun of those who disagree with you?

Every time someone like R23 states why he's pissed at Obama. None of you prove his points wrong, you just resort to name calling, or telling those with different opinions to shut up.

by Anonymousreply 4701/03/2013

Burden is on the complainant, R47.

We don't need to "prove" anything to trolls.

by Anonymousreply 4801/03/2013

People like r23 are just the left version of tea partiers.

by Anonymousreply 4901/03/2013

I swear half the people posting in this thread have never bought a car-- "I just talked to my sales manager, and there's no way we can go below the sticker price . . ."

by Anonymousreply 5001/03/2013

Thanks for proving my point. You can't prove what R23 said is inaccurate so you resort to name calling. You call R23 a left version of the tea party yet it is you who comes off like them. After all, the tea party is all about name calling since they can't prove any of their points.

BTW, if you don't need to "prove" yourself to "trolls," why even bother responding? Why even bother posting on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 5101/03/2013

R50, if the car dealership was ran by a democrat like Obama, here's how that negotiation would go...

Customer: Hi! I want to buy this car. The price is listed as $20,000 but I want to see if we can reach a compromise.

Salesperson: Sure! I'm all about compromising and selling you this car at a lower price. How about $15,000.

Customer: I think that's still too high. I was thinking more like $1,000.

Salesperson: I don't know, that doesn't sound very fair.

Customer: Waaaa! You're being mean! Waaa!

Salesperson: Ok ok. Calm down. I apologize for being so mean. You're right. $1,000 is a fair price.

by Anonymousreply 5201/03/2013

R43, nothing like that is going to happen, so you might as well stop dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 5301/03/2013

Everybody -- left, right and in-between - is upset by the fiscal cliff deal. That is the essence of American democracy, where people must compromise to get things done. Don't blame Obama (or Boeher) - blame James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay.

by Anonymousreply 5401/03/2013

Not quite that simple, R54.

There was a time when Democratic Presidents actually insisted on enforcing Democratic policies.

by Anonymousreply 5501/03/2013

On the other hand, conservative Fred Barnes says Obama "wants it all."

by Anonymousreply 5601/03/2013

Fred Barnes is an idiot. Isn't he one of the people who predicted a landslide win for Romney?

by Anonymousreply 5701/03/2013

I'd say that the entire Fiscal Cliff solution is a major Obama victory. I have never seen the TeaPublicans in such a raging lather, the geshrying and rending of garments is so intense all across the right wing chattersphere. It must signal a major Obama win!

by Anonymousreply 5801/03/2013

R54, that's BS.

The republicans would've been upset with Obama even if he had given them everything they wanted.

That's Obama. Pissing off the people who voted him in and trying his best to please those who will never be satisfied.

Real compromise is the republicans saying they want $100 and Obama only giving them $50, but instead he gives them $75 and his idiotic supporters claim that's fair.

by Anonymousreply 5901/03/2013

I'm pissed that we went from $200K to $400K threshhold because now there's not enough revenue, but come on, there's no way Obama would have gotten ANY Repug votes if he'd insisted on getting everything. In the House, you need Repug votes to get something passed. End of story.

It's not ideal but I think doing a bill post-fiscal cliff would have been worse because the stock market would have crashed and Obama would have gotten at least some of the blame for that.

Compromise does not equal selling out. You guys sound just like the Tea Party fools that got us into this mess.

by Anonymousreply 6001/03/2013

R46, looks like you're mixing up posters. Clarify who you're responding to.

Or not.

by Anonymousreply 6101/03/2013

Amen, R60.

by Anonymousreply 6201/03/2013

[quote]A negotiation, a compromise, a deal. This is how adults do business,

R17 is clearly a Freeper trying to make people think Obama got a good deal and the Rethugs lost.

The Freepers in this thread will be sending out the same compromise bullcrap during Obama's next three giveaways.

During the first year he was in office we got the consensus bullcrap. This time it's compromise bullcrap. It all boils down to the total lack of any leadership skills and lies to the people who voted for him.

by Anonymousreply 6301/03/2013

Troll-dar me, R61. I haven't posted anything since r46. (until now)

by Anonymousreply 6401/03/2013

Conservative Democrats in the Senate held the bill hostage until they got the 400k. There are a lot of moving parts people.

by Anonymousreply 6501/03/2013

[quote]Conservative Democrats in the Senate held the bill hostage until they got the 400k.

Why would they do that?

by Anonymousreply 6601/04/2013

It was R47 claiming to be R46. How odd.

by Anonymousreply 6701/04/2013

Obama does these stupid press events with the people standing behind him and acts like he is the only adult in the room. He's the President,mand doesn't lead. The house sent a bill on this shit to the Senate over a month ago and it never was voted on. They increased revenue 600 billion and immediately gave half away in increased unemployment benefits. Now they get benefits longer, food stamps, free cell phone and Medicaid. Why work?

by Anonymousreply 6801/04/2013

Indeed, R68, once someone's rolling in the luxury boondoggle of Medicaid and food stamps, they have arrived on cash mountain.

It's like winning the lottery, getting on food stamps and unemployment. We are draining our billionaires' bank accounts dry, all to keep the needy in top notch medical care and Ramen.

Freeper trash. Shame on you.

by Anonymousreply 6901/04/2013

Jeepers, haven't you all figured it out yet. The Republican strategy is to say they are going to burn down the orphanage with the children inside, when what they really want is to turn the orphanage into a Starbucks. They make these totally outrageous demands so that what they really want seems like a major concession. This isn't compromise, it is extortion.

by Anonymousreply 7001/04/2013

R66, why wouldn't they do that? They're part of the 1% as well, why would they screw their own kind over? Same with Obama. He's always bailing out his rich friends because he's part of the club now too.

R60, how is it compromise when only ONE side is willing to work together? The repugs never budge and Obama always does. Sounds more like a bitch to me.

Then you say that Obama HAD to because the house is mostly made up of republicans. That's BS too. It was well know that the MAJORITY of Americans would blame anything going wrong on republicans. Therefore, those republicans would've caved into public pressure, but Obama saved them before it got that far. The only time republicans EVER compromise is when the public puts pressure on them and they realize they want to get re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 7101/04/2013

I think the hatred of Obama is a bogeyman that's supposed to distract people from realizing what's in their own interest. The Repub gospel is that increasing taxes on the rich will dry up jobs, provide very little revenue and is intended to distract people from the two percent raise in the payroll tax. In other words, taxes should never rise;and the budget should be slashed everywhere except defense to avoid the US turning into Greece. A social welfare safety net will thwart initiative and deprive people of freedom--the freedom to die of hunger or inadequate medical care, I guess. Also, the problem with the economy isn't corporate greed and outsourcing but rather unionism and regulation.

It really smacks of Orwell's 1984 where up is down and yes means no. Of course, Boehner won't negotiate with Obama. That would be doing his job and getting something accomplished. Far better to sit on his ass and win points from Grover Norquist.

by Anonymousreply 7201/04/2013

[quote]how is it compromise when only ONE side is willing to work together? The repugs never budge and Obama always does.

Exactly!!!! There was no compromise and there will not be a compromise in the future. It's always Obama giving in to Republican demands.

Freepers are all over this place trying to push the compromise meme. They want us to think it was compromise on the part of the President. Obama had the upper hand and he threw it away.

by Anonymousreply 7301/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!