Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Now that it's cold, it's time to dust off the crock pot. Please share your favorite, delicious ideas for stews and soups to make in your slow cooker.

Here's a delicious (and healthy) chili recipe:

Vampire Slayer Chili

1 lb ground turkey 10 oz chopped white mushrooms 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed 1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomotes in their juice 1 10 oz can tomato sauce 1 large chopped onion 1 bulb of garlic, separated and peeled 1 tbs sugar 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce 2 tbs chili powder 1/4 tsp ground cloves canola oil spray 4 tbs Greek yogurt or sour cream (optional topping)

1. Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil. In the meantime, separate and peel that garlic. (I've had great luck with the back-of-the-hand smashing technique. The papery skin pops right off.) Let the peeled garlic simmer for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2. Spray a skillet with canola oil spray. Brown the turkey for five minutes, stirring constantly to break it into small pieces.

3. Transfer the turkey, garlic, and all the other ingredients except the yogurt to a slow cooker*. Give it a good stir and cook on low for eight hours.

4. Divide into four bowls and top each with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt or sour cream.

by Anonymousreply 12411/11/2013

[quote] Vampire Slayer Chili

I would exchange the chili powder for real chili.

And if by 'ground' turkey you mean minced turkey, then I'd brown the turkey and onion and garlic in a pot on the stove top, then just cook the food (in a pot/dish) on the stove top or in the oven for 40 minutes, rather than slow cooking it for 8 hours.

by Anonymousreply 101/02/2013

Pot roast is the easiest thing in the world to make in a crockpot.

First, brown the meat on the stove - a minute per side is enough. I use a rump roast.

Then add whole, unpeeled new potatoes (red or white) and baby carrots to the crockpot, cut an onion in quarters and place the meat on top. Cover with a cup of water, half cup red wine (optional) and a quarter cup Worcestshire sauce. Add black pepper and garlic powder. When it's done, remove the meat and vegetables and whisk in flour to thicken the gravy.

There is nothing better than coming home from work on a cold day and walking in to the house smelling a delicious dinner that is ready to be served and took less than 10 minutes to prepare it in the morning.

I eat this for a couple of days and then slice the meat and freeze in individual portions. It freezes and reheats great.

by Anonymousreply 201/02/2013

I thought it said Crackpot Recipe Exchange -in honor of Umpy, Judy Pills, GG, etc.

by Anonymousreply 301/02/2013

Things I make in my slow cooker:

1. pulled pork - start with a Boston butt and bottle on BBQ sauce.

2. red beans and rice - soak Camellia red beans in water over night then add my meat, and vegetables and seasonings. Salt at the end.

3. boiled peanuts - takes a long time if starting from raw, dried peanuts.

4. vegetable beef soup - brown my stew meat on the range

5. stew a smallish hen over night for broth and meat for other dishes.

Have never made chili in a slow cooker.

by Anonymousreply 401/02/2013

Agree with R1. I hate crock pot recipes that have you doing a lot of cooking/browning and prep prior to throwing everything in the crock pot. If it doesn't save you time and effort, what's the point of doing all that cooking and prep and then waiting 8 hours to eat? The only exception to this would be tough meats that "fall off the bone" when cooked long and slow. Chili doesn't benefit from long, low heat cooking.

by Anonymousreply 501/02/2013

r5 - you would hate the Williams-Sonoma slow cooker cookbook. I got it as a gift a couple of years ago and haven't made anything from it because each recipe requires way too much prep.

As for chili in the crockpot, it's good! That long simmer blends all the flavors together. I have friends who host ski weekends at their place in Vermont and always have chili or soup in the crockpot. It's great to come in off the mountain and have something hot waiting for you, and light enough to be a snack to tide one over until dinner time.

by Anonymousreply 601/02/2013

Bean Pot

1 lb. sausage 1 lb. ground beef 1 small onion, chopped 1 cup ketchup 1/4 cup brown sugar 1 tsp. salt 3 tbsp. vinegar 1 tbsp. liquid smoke 2 cans kidney beans 1 small can green lima beans 2 cans pinto beans

Fry ground beef and drain. Fry onion and sausage together. Then put everything in crockpot and simmer for several hours.

This is a great dish for the winter. My partner calls it PA Dutch stew.

by Anonymousreply 701/02/2013

Going to try OP's recipe, with r1's modifications, but I'll use 1tbsp chili powder because I'm a wuss.

Every slow cooker I've owned has overcooked everything (set on low) I've tried -- usually by 4-6 hours -- unless I monitor it.

Will report back later on the results.

by Anonymousreply 801/02/2013

So this chili will slay me?

by Anonymousreply 901/02/2013

R2's pot roast recipe sounds awesome. Think I'll try it this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 1001/02/2013

I got a little three-quart slow cooker for christmas. It is perfect for one or two people. I have a larger one but it takes so much to fill it that I end up with a dozen new containers in my freezer.

I broke it in with a couple of pounds of country-style ribs. I was in a huge hurry to get it started before I went out so I didn't brown anything - something I usually do.

I covered the pork with Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, oregano, and cumin. Then, I cut up an onion and a few cloves of garlic and put them in the bottom of the crock. I put the ribs on top and covered it with a half a bottle of bbq sauce. I would usually make my own but - no time.

I put it on high because I needed it in six hours. I came home to fall-off-the-bone bbq pork. I skimmed the fat from the top and I pulled the meat apart and put it on a bun. It was absolutely delicious. I had four huge sandwiches for around five dollars.

by Anonymousreply 1101/02/2013

Cooks Illustrated has a good recipe for a whole turkey breast in the slow cooker.

by Anonymousreply 1201/02/2013

R4 a list of dishes is not a recipe, OP asked for recipes, not a list of what made you fat.

by Anonymousreply 1301/03/2013

Dearest R13 -

I was not gonna take the time to share recipes of the dishes on my list unless requested by a DLer. I figured this list was easy and quick to type and if a DLer requested details, that I would share.

I did not feel that I needed to just obey OP's command willy-nilly and starting typing recipes.

You did obviously, and I pity you for being so easily led.

Someone in your life needs to fuck you using a hoe handle with extreme prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 1401/03/2013

Dear asshole,

If that were the case you would have said so...'recipes upon request' or something of that nature.

by Anonymousreply 1501/03/2013

R13, read closely. OP asked for "ideas", not recipes. If you would actually read the request before attacking others, we'd all be happier.

by Anonymousreply 1601/03/2013

Anyone who thinks a tepid glop of minced turkeybird and lady-shits yogurt qualifies for the title "Vampire Slayer Chili" deserves all the crockpot messes she can dream up.

Things cooked at about the temperature of a human fever taste like the products of digestion.

by Anonymousreply 1701/03/2013

Thread title...RECIPE EXCHANGE what is unclear?

by Anonymousreply 1801/03/2013

You are impossibly obtuse this morning, R18, and I am done with you.

Looking for my hoe handle …..

by Anonymousreply 1901/03/2013

I keep reading this as Crackpot Recipe Exchange.

I guess it's the location.

by Anonymousreply 2001/03/2013

Goo food, with rare exceptions.

My favorite version of pulled pork is to cram as much pork butt as I can get into the crockpot, add a bunch of chopped up onion and garlic, pour in a couple of bottles of very good root beer and a jar of canned chili sauce or salsa. Cook it forever and correct for seasonings.

by Anonymousreply 2101/03/2013

Sprecher's root beer? It's wonderful. But root beer marinade?

by Anonymousreply 2301/03/2013

I was surprised when I ate it at a picnic without knowing what was in it, R23. Good root beer is not as sweet as the regular HFCS crap and has an interesting blend of flavors. The chili sauce or salsa pulls the sweetness down and slow cooking blends it nicely. It's a lot better than any bottled barbeque sauce you can buy.

by Anonymousreply 2401/03/2013

Considering most chili sauce and salsa also contains sugar I can't imagine anything but sweetness being enhanced.

by Anonymousreply 2501/03/2013

I live in the SW. No sugar in any of the chili (actually chile) sauce or salsa around here. I can't imagine sugar in chile or salsa. That's pretty gross.

by Anonymousreply 2601/03/2013

OP, Are you aware that there are plenty of free sites that send you weekly tested recipes, with comments from other cooks, or do you just want our faves? Chili benefits from slow cooking. as does most soups. Browning meat&onions improves the flavor but is not a requirement. I just made my homemade chunky applesauce. So easy and makes my home smell wonderful. Chopped apples (don't peel) with a little water and spices, and sugar to taste.

by Anonymousreply 2701/03/2013

By "ideas", I meant recipes. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

by Anonymousreply 2801/03/2013

r27 I want faves. I'm aware of google. Just looking for tried and true recipes from the people I care about and trust at Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 2901/03/2013

For those of you in the NYC area, Pathmark has boston butt for 99¢ a pound starting tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 3001/03/2013

In my crockpot today:

4 large chicken legs (thighs & drumsticks)

Thickly-sliced green pepper (you can also use red & yellow, but I didn't have)

1 thickly-sliced onion

3 cloves crushed garlic

2 or 3 stalks celery, cut in 2 inch pieces

1 large can peeled plum tomatoes in tomato juice

1 small can tomato paste

1/2 cup chicken broth or water

Basil, oregano, salt, pepper

Optional: 1/4 cup red or white wine, mushrooms, olives, capers, grated parmesan cheese.

This is great served over pasta with parmesan cheese but I will be having it plain tonight. Completely healthy, low calorie, flavorful and costs about $2.50 per serving. Can cook on low all day and takes 10 minutes or less to prepare.

by Anonymousreply 3101/03/2013

U R not OP, R28 R29.

Nice try, stupe.

by Anonymousreply 3201/03/2013

A while back a DLer asked for a Red Beans 'n' Rice recipe using a slow cooker.

Here ya go.

by Anonymousreply 3301/03/2013

How do you know he's not posting from a different computer or cleared his cookies, R32?

by Anonymousreply 3401/03/2013

I am The Great OZ … I see all, know all.

Fear me!

(pay no attention to that man behind the curtain)

by Anonymousreply 3501/03/2013

I'm not one who cooks much in the crockpot but this is my favorite.

Mediterranean Roast

1 Boneless Beef Chuck Roast 3 lbs. (Or two...I used 2) 1 Teaspoon of salt 1 Tablespoon of Italian Seasoning 1 Large Garlic Clove (I used 3) 1/2 Cup of Sun Dried Tomatoes in Oil DRAINED 1/2 Cup or Kalamata Olives Sliced 1/2 Cup of Beef Broth 1/2 Cup of Frozen Pearl Onions 1 Beef Bullion (This is what I add to give the beef a little more flavor)

Spray the crock pot with either PAM or Olive Oil. (I used Olive Oil)

In a skillet, cook meet on both sides for 2-3 minutes. Add the Salt Italian Seasoning and Garlic. Place the Beef in the cooker and spread the remaining ingredients over beef.

Cover and let slow cook for 8 hours. (Depending on the size of the meat, sometimes 7 hours is enough).

by Anonymousreply 3601/03/2013

Dear God...these recipes sound like they're out of The Ladies Home Journal circa 1974.

I've always wondered why no serious cooks ever use slow cookers. After trying out a few dishes...well, I think I know why.

The cooking temperature is just way too low. The fat on meat renders strangely. Foods can't "cook down" and concentrate flavor. And I think people who can't discern the difference, confuse tender meat with mushy.

I think slow cookers are for people who don't have very high expectations and are used to the taste of foods from those popular chains.

I "slow cook" all the time....on my stove top. You can brown cubed meat on high heat in a heavy pot, add vegetables, saute, add wine, boil away the alcohol and then place it on your smallest burner at the lowest setting (You can even buy metal flame defectors to place over your gas burners to further lower the heat). It should be a very slight simmer. You'll want to check it a few times, but you can basically walk away and leave it there for 2 hours.... even 3.

The same with a split chicken. I just lay it skin side down on a very hot cast iron pan. Salt, pepper. (rosemary & garlic under the skin if you like). Cover. Set to lowest setting. At an hour and a half the skin will be golden and the chicken nicely cooked. I don't have to turn it or even check it. In Italy cooks will place a terra cotta brick on the split chicken while it cooks to keep it pressed down on the pan.

The only thing that I was able to do with a slow cooker that was useful was pork loin. Have your butcher tie up a small boneless pork loin. Salt, pepper generously. Place in cooker. Do not add anything else. No liquids.

After 7 hours take out the pork (it will be immersed in liquid).

Let it sit and cool completely down. When it's room temp. You can slice it into thin slices and dress with a drizzle of good olive oil. A tonnato sauce is nice for this too.

by Anonymousreply 3701/03/2013

What makes me laugh is how flyover some of these recipes are. Chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, bottled BBQ sauce, adding some oregano (a typical American faux-pas) and olives and calling it 'Mediterranean'.

Some of you bitches can't cook for shit, which is I suppose why you're doing it slowly.

by Anonymousreply 3801/03/2013

r37, slow cookers were invented for people who have jobs and don't want to leave the stove on unattended all day.

by Anonymousreply 3901/03/2013

R34 thanks. Why would I PRETEND to be the OP on a crockpot thread.

by Anonymousreply 4001/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 4101/03/2013

Rather than trailer-trash pork with rootbeer...and other soupy slop... dumbed down imitations of real food... make a braised meat or stew on the weekend when you have the time to do it properly. Or in the evening. These dishes keep nicely, can be reheated and are even better the next day.

by Anonymousreply 4201/03/2013

Was told a crockpot can substitute for a tangine. Have seen interesting Moroccan recipes. Anyone adventurous ever tried it?

by Anonymousreply 4301/03/2013

Pot roast a la R2 is also good using beer instead of the wine/water combo. I put in the sliced onions, browned roast, salt, pepper and chopped garlic, then pour a bottle of beer over the whole thing. A stout or a brown ale are best. Then set the crockpot for 8 hours on low.

by Anonymousreply 4401/03/2013

This is a great recipe for pot roast

by Anonymousreply 4501/03/2013

Crockpots are wonderful for carmelizing onions. Add a little butter or olive oil or even water or broth if you're dieting. Chop the onions any which way. Heat overnight or as much as 24 hours. What's left is a great condiment or the base (plus beef stock, thyme and sherry) of a really great onion soup. This recipe came from a chef.

by Anonymousreply 4601/03/2013

Here's a different sort of crockpot recipe. It's for butter chicken, and very tasty. In fact, I've grown to prefer it to butter chicken from my favorite Indian restaurant. And this version doesn't cost $16 for about half a cup!

Put in crock pot: 2 to 2.5 lbs. boneless chicken (breast or thigh or a combination), cut into bite-size pieces; one medium onion, chopped (or equivalent quantity of dehydrated onion flakes).

Mix into a fairly smooth paste: 6 tablespoons butter; 4 teaspoons lemon juice; 2 cans (5 oz. each) tomato paste; 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder; 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder; 4 teaspoons garam masala; 1 teaspoon chili powder; 2 teaspoons ground cumin; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper; 1 cup half-and-half.

Mix about half the spice/cream mixture to coat the chicken pieces. Spread the rest over the top. Then add 2 bay leaves and cook on low for five to six hours.

About an hour before serving, mix: 2 tablespoons corn starch with 1 more cup half-and-half. Stir that into the mixture in the crock pot, along with 3 cups frozen peas. (Rinse peas with hot tap water to warm them a bit before adding.) Cook on low for another hour or so.

Serve over rice.

(Leftover portions freeze well.)

by Anonymousreply 4701/03/2013

Sounds wonderful, R47.

Don't forget to remove the bay leaves before serving.

by Anonymousreply 4801/03/2013

R37, is it okay to leave your recipes to cook while I go to work?

by Anonymousreply 4901/03/2013

R38 how on earth is oregano an "American faux pas"?!

by Anonymousreply 5001/03/2013

Made OP's recipe today on the stove in a Dutch Oven using r1's modifications, but with 1 tbsp powdered chili, not two. Simmered for an hour and a half. Delicious! And so easy.

by Anonymousreply 5101/03/2013

R45's link is as easy as it gets and I make it all the time. I add one small hot pepper and a cup of wine.

by Anonymousreply 5201/03/2013

Not really a recipe, but super good: Take a bag or one half bag of meatballs, any kind (beef taste better; turkey is healthier); put in a slow cooker and cover with a jar or two of spaghetti sauce. Cook on low for a longish time or high for a shorter time (maybe 4 hours). When hot and bubbly, serve with kaiser rolls...delicious meatball subs.

by Anonymousreply 5301/03/2013

Deconstructed cabbage rolls: brown a lb or two of ground beef; chop and sautee an onion; put in slow cooker with 2 cups of instant brown rice; add a jar of spaghetti sauce and then fill the jar with water and add that; mix together. Put chopped green cabbage on top. Cook for 6 - 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. Can also add a can of diced tomoatoes. This is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 5401/03/2013

Sandra Lee has joined the thread.

by Anonymousreply 5501/03/2013

Aww....R53 is so considerate. Looks like he'll be feeding his hook up instead of sending him home hungry.

Do you have enough towels, R53?

by Anonymousreply 5601/03/2013

1 pork roast or 1 whole chicken 1-2 jars green salsa

That's it. Sear first on all sides for more flavor, or just throw it in. All day.

The drippings - green sauce are quite nice atop rice or potatoes.

Sometimes when we are too lazy to bake the delicious "1 hour whole chicken", we just throw a whole bird in the crockpot. The skin is not yummy after being slow-cooked, but otherwise, it's simple when we're busy, and the meat falls off the bone, another bonus when you have a whole bird and are busy.

by Anonymousreply 5701/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 5801/03/2013

instant rice, jars of spaghetti sauce, dehydrated onion flakes, meatballs from a bag…

What poverty of taste.

by Anonymousreply 5901/04/2013

I'm making this Saturday:

Cochinita en Pibil (yucatanean Pork) by Rick Bayless

The butter chicken sounds good but is it chile powder like in chili? Or pureground chili peppers?

by Anonymousreply 6001/04/2013

I can't speak for that poster, but he was probably laughing at the belief that adding things like olives, oregano and "Italian Seasoning" (whatever that may be) to any old dish somehow merits a "Mediterranean" label. With none of the understanding or appreciation of what Mediterranean cooking is actually about.

Substitute the olives and oregano with cream and white wine and violà it's French.

Instead of cream and white wine, add a jar of sauerkraut and a can of beer and we're off to Germany.

This is the worst of American "cooking"

by Anonymousreply 6101/04/2013

Simply buying whatever meat is on sale this week, bringing it home and putting it in the slow cooker after adding salt & pepper, is much better and more cost effective than fast food or low-cost restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 6201/04/2013

Hi R60. The Cochinita en Pibil looks like a really interesting recipe. Have you made it before?

"The butter chicken sounds good but is it chile powder like in chili?"

Yes, it's just the plain, reddish-brown chili powder you'd use in chili.

The recipe is pretty forgiving, so the spices can be tinkered with a lot. The main difference I've found is with heat related to the amount of cayenne pepper. Other changes have been more subtle.

by Anonymousreply 6301/04/2013

I like this thread. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 6401/04/2013

r60 here - yes I have made this (& I'm making it again tomorrow)- it's served with pickled red onions, tortillas or rice if you wish but it's just deliciously porky & really easy to make for a crowd. Finding the seasoning paste in CT is hard - but I bought a bunch of it while visiting AZ.

will be trying the butter chicken next week. Thx for sharing!!

by Anonymousreply 6501/04/2013

Thanks to everyone for sharing ideas. We do the same things repeatedly in our crock pot, and would love other easy, tasty meals. Keep it coming.

Snobs: why even come to a crockpot thread? Go spend 3 hours creating gourmet delights, and leave the rest of us who need crockpot convenience to share info.

by Anonymousreply 6601/05/2013

[quote]My favorite version of pulled pork is to cram as much pork butt as I can get into the crockpot, add a bunch of chopped up onion and garlic, pour in a couple of bottles of very good root beer and a jar of canned chili sauce or salsa. Cook it forever and correct for seasonings

I'm totally trying this.

by Anonymousreply 6801/05/2013

R43, I'm sure you could use a crockpot for some or most tangine recipes. However, you're not going to end up with food that tastes like it was cooked in a tangine. Tangines are shaped the way they are because they enhance the flavor of food.

by Anonymousreply 6901/05/2013

3 hours creating gourmet delights?

That cubed chicken breast recipe on the previous page would only take only 20 minutes to cook (plus preparation which would be the same for both recipes).

And if you are serving it over rice... the rice would take 20 minutes to cook anyway. And you would be doing both dishes at the same time.

And even if you were not doing rice.... during the 20 minutes the dish is cooking, you are making a salad or setting a table or cleaning up or checking your email.

So where's the convenience?

by Anonymousreply 7001/05/2013

I've got a Cook's Butt Portion Smoked Ham. About 7 pounds. Any ideas for that? In the crockpot, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 7101/05/2013

Why on Earth would you want to exchange recipes with a crackpot?

by Anonymousreply 7201/05/2013

R72, for amusement, of course.

by Anonymousreply 7301/05/2013

Crockpot Ground Beef and Barley Soup

1 and 1/2 to 2 pounds of ground beef 1 onion 1 or 2 cloves garlic 4 celery stalks, including any leaves 4 medium carrots 1 bay leaf A handful of chopped parsley 3 to 4 cans of beef broth 1 -28oz, can of diced tomatoes 1 can of tomato soup 1 to 1-1/2 cups of barley 8 oz white mushrooms 1 can diced or sliced potatoes 1 to 2 cups of other vegetables (see note)

Brown beef with chopped onion and minced garlic. Add salt and pepper (what you think to add). Drain and add to crockpot. Dice carrots and celery. Add celery, carrots, mushrooms to crockpot. Add beef broth, bay leaf, tomatoes, and tomato soup.

NOTE: I also add any leftover vegetables I have frozen or have left over from the week. Things like corn, peas, green beans, etc. Add these at about the half way mark. If you don't have any leftovers, use frozen PC mixed vegetables.

Cook on high for 1-2 hours, then turn to low for 4-5 hours. Add a can of sliced or diced new potatoes about an hour before serving. If the soup is thin, add the liquid from the potatoes to help thicken. This is really a cross between a soup and a stew, since it is so thick and full of the beef, barley, and vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 7401/05/2013

violà?? violà??? violà, r61????

by Anonymousreply 7501/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 7601/05/2013

I just read the thread about becoming a frau and right below it was this thread: pot, meet kettle.

by Anonymousreply 7701/05/2013

R74, That's similar to my recipe. I don't use beef broth, use raw sliced potatoes with skins, add a pinch of curry, brown sugar, lots of ground pepper. I add my sliced mushrooms during the last 1/2 hour. You can use a very cheap cut of beef or fatty ground round, if you skim the fat before serving. It can also be removed the next day when the soup/stew is cold.

by Anonymousreply 7801/05/2013

Store bought beef broth ruins everything...avoid. Use chicken.

by Anonymousreply 7901/05/2013

San Francisco Cioppino is a seafood stew that my Mom used to make in the Crockpot several times every winter in Dungeness crab season.

We'd have cracked crab on the side. The dinner table would be covered with newspaper and littered with chunks of sourdough bread and waste bowls for shells. It is so easy to make in a slow cooker but is incredibly messy and smelly to consume. Not a good idea for a first date.

Any seafood combo (except for oily fish like salmon)can be used, but it is essential to use fresh herbs and a dry, white wine. I use squid instead of scallops because scallops are hella spendy. Instead of cod or seabass, which are becoming extinct and not readily available in the Bay Area, I use USA farmed catfish or Tilapia. They nicely take up the flavor of the broth. I've made it without fresh fennel but added a few shakes of powdered star anise.

The broth -- to be soaked up with crusty sourdough bread -- is to die for.

by Anonymousreply 8001/05/2013

R37 you are just so evolved and special! What a douche. I live in LA and work all day...some of these work really well for us who don't have time to cook. You are a pretentious A hole.

by Anonymousreply 8201/05/2013

[quote]Now that it's cold, it's time to dust off the crock pot.

Dust off? I use mine year round. Who wants to start up the oven in the summer heat?

by Anonymousreply 8401/05/2013

My mam makes oatmeal overnight. You need to use the 'steel cut' oats for it - not the stuff you get with the hokey guy on the front. She makes it with milk and and maple syrup, or with apples and cinnamon.

by Anonymousreply 8501/05/2013

"6 tablespoons butter; 4 teaspoons lemon juice; 2 cans (5 oz. each) tomato paste; 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder; 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder; 4 teaspoons garam masala; 1 teaspoon chili powder; 2 teaspoons ground cumin; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper; 1 cup half-and-half."

I only have five of those things. This is why I don't cook.

by Anonymousreply 8601/06/2013

R74 is another example of taking a simple, quick, healthful dish and making it much more of a chore than it actually is.

And please tell me: besides being only a shadow of it's tasty self…. where is the convenience?

Saute the ingredients, on by one, with olive oil in a pot. Add water.

Canned broth is shit but if you have good canned broth or even a bullion cube ok…but I prefer water.

Bring to a boil. Cover. Simmer.

This is ready in 30 minutes. During those 30 minutes you are cleaning up and doing other things. A soup like this can cook on a slow simmer for an hour (even better), or even longer if you like. It's basically ready when you are.

by Anonymousreply 8701/06/2013

And one more thing about that beef and barley soup: you are making homemade soup in the winter, I can understand using canned tomato....fine...but why on earth would you add pre-prepared canned tomato soup to it?

Or potatoes from a can?

Potatoes from a can sounds like provisions for disaster victims.

Do you people actually buy and eat that shit?

To peel and chop 2 nice fresh potatoes using a vegetable peeler and a knife will take you about 5 minutes. If the potatoes are new and have thin skins you can even go without peeling.

by Anonymousreply 8801/06/2013

R88, you seem to be one of the rare people nowadays with good sense.

I saw on a PBS show yesterday that the average adult in America spends 17 minutes in the kitchen working at food preparation. A lot of people probably lied on the survey because they thought work like cooking was beneath their dignity, but I doubt if the true number is that much higher.

I use the slow cookers constantly during the summers, and the oven constantly during the winters. I have several of the old fashioned West Bend "bean pots", which was a precursor of the crock pot, and I love to use them. They don't get as hot as the crock pots, and will never quite get to a simmer. But they do a great job of keeping food at 180F once you get it there, which makes them great for many types of slow cooking as well as buffet serving.

by Anonymousreply 8901/06/2013

[quote] The cooking temperature is just way too low. The fat on meat renders strangely. Foods can't "cook down" and concentrate flavor.

This, and less carmelization

by Anonymousreply 9001/06/2013

Wash potatoes, don't peel them. You lose fiber and nutrients with peeling.

by Anonymousreply 9101/06/2013

R91, what you say is fine for new potatoes, but for stored potatoes which are sold year around, the shin gets tough and a slightly toxic substance develops just under the skin. The skin should only be eaten when the potatoes are freshly dug.

by Anonymousreply 9201/06/2013

Where do you live, R86, that there's no place to buy ingredients?

by Anonymousreply 9301/06/2013

Re: all those ingredients that 86 says that he doesn't have, I don't have all of them either because I don't like all of them. I just used the seasonings which I like instead of what the recipe says. For example 74 says to use ground beef for beef and barley, but one of the local supermarkets here has sirloin steak on special this week for $2.98/lb. while ground beef is almost a dollar more than that. I just now cut the sirloin into bite size pieces, browned it and put it in a slow oven to tenderize for tacos a la carne guisada later today at noon dinner (I am a southern redneck hillbilly). If I wanted beef and barley, I would use the sirloin for that instead of ground beef. I haven't bought ground beef since the stores figured out years ago that most people are ignorant enough to pay as much for that as beef. If I make hamburgers or meatloaf, I grind it myself in the food processor.

by Anonymousreply 9401/06/2013

R94 Yes. And besides the savings, the great thing about chopping beef or grinding it yourself (or by a butcher if you have one nearby) is that you know what you're getting. A lot of supermarket ground beef is from 100s of cows mixed together, contains filler and other crap.

by Anonymousreply 9501/06/2013

Guy Fieri at R37 says: [quote]The cooking temperature is just way too low. The fat on meat renders strangely. Foods can't "cook down" and concentrate flavor. And I think people who can't discern the difference, confuse tender meat with mushy.

Right. So what do you use that $500 Sous Vide machine you bought? To keep tea warm? MARY!

by Anonymousreply 9701/06/2013

Crockpots are great for corned beef, pot roast, pulled pork or chicken, soup stocks and beans. Not everyone feels like cooking after working and commuting for ten hours.

by Anonymousreply 9801/06/2013

R92, what's your source? I've always believed you should eat skins of foods (in most cases) for additional nutrients. I read that, except in the case of purple potatoes, you get different nutrients from the skin and the flesh of potatoes, and you need them both.

by Anonymousreply 9901/06/2013

[quote]. I use squid instead of scallops because scallops are hella spendy.

I was born in San Francisco, but I want to shake you to death.

by Anonymousreply 10001/06/2013

[quote] Pot roast is the easiest thing in the world to make in a crockpot.

Ok, R2, I’m in. Shopping expedition. Close to $25, but it’s easy, right?

Morning: Assemble ingredients as directed and start the crockpot. No time given, but I extrapolate from other recipes that it will be 7-9 hours on low. Spend a half hour cleaning up my mess: pan from browning the meat, various cutting boards, knives, etc. “Less than 10 minutes to prepare”? I think not.

Late afternoon: We meet friends for the Saturday jazz jam at my local bar. I invite them back for pot roast. They decline. They’ve had my cooking before.

Evening: Return home. House smells great. Pot roast and veggies are done and taste great, but everything is swimming in grease. Probably bought the wrong cut of meat, but it said “Perfect for Pot Roast” on the label.

Drain the contents of the crock pot, rinse the grease off the meat and vegetables, reduce the liquid by about half and refrigerate everything. Another half hour to clean up this mess. Partner makes grilled cheese and we finish the bottle of wine from step 1.

Today: I remove at least a cup of congealed fat from the top of the gravy, slice the pot roast, add the vegetables, plus some frozen peas because it all looks so, well, brown. Add just enough of the gravy to moisten, and nuke for six minutes. It was very good, but w-a-y more labor intensive than I thought it would be.

by Anonymousreply 10101/06/2013

R86, Have you considered buying a spice mixture? My 99c Store has Santa Paula Steak Seasoning (no MSG) which with a little 99c curry and a pinch of brown sugar gets added to almost everything I make.

by Anonymousreply 10201/06/2013

R101, cute story! Glad you don't have a blog.

You can do this cheaper/faster if you just use salsa instead of wine. It's still great.

I have that problem with my roasts too. Either discard fat before cooking, or use that sauce later to flavor rice / veggie soup. It's way too heavy with just meat and roasted root chunks (potato, carrot, etc).

Gotta have something bright/light to balance or absorb all that fat. And that's going to be: salad or any fresh produce, or rice/cooked grains.

Use a whole chicken instead - much less fat (the skin adds flavor/nutrients while slow-cooking, but discard before eating).

Try, try again, because when you figure it out, you'll love slow-cooking.

P.S. You're supposed to start a crockpot on high for 1 hour so the meat/pot get up to proper temperature before reducing to low for the long day. If not enough time, you can risk it by using high for as long as you can before leaving for work, and then drop to low. I'm not saying it's totally safe, but I bet others do it too. If using chicken, make sure to give close to an hour on high.

by Anonymousreply 10301/06/2013

R101 Because food in a crockpot does not cook down, you're left with everything swimming in grease and liquid.

R103 So you're going to make chicken. You have to wait an hour while it's cooking on high, to turn down the crockpot for it's long cooking time.

And you are also going to make a salad or rice.

Uh.... during that time, can't you just cook the friggin' chicken in a covered pan? Or in the oven? Do it properly instead of making a mushy mess? And while it's cooking, make your salad or rice?

Chicken legs take a 1/2 hour to cook after browning.

by Anonymousreply 10401/07/2013

r101, glad the pot roast tasted good but sorry to hear it took so much work for you. Did you peel or cut the potatoes and carrots or something? I just wash them and put them in whole - new potatoes and baby carrots. The only thing you have to cut is the onion, and that's just two cuts to quarter it. Dishes used in prep = frying pan, small cutting board, 1 knife, measuring cup. I have timed the entire prep time, from getting the crockpot out of the pantry to turning it on and it averages 8 minutes.

The cut of meat may be why you had so much grease. I always use a rump roast, which has one layer of fat and doesn't make the liquid greasy. Whisk in some flour for a rich, smooth gravy.

I make a pot roast this way several times a year and the most time consuming part is washing the crockpot and putting it away. 5 minutes, tops.

by Anonymousreply 10501/07/2013

R104, I just thumbed through a crockpot recipe book and they say to do chicken on low the whole time (copyright 2001). So maybe I was wrong. We usually like to do high first to get the temp up and to be on the safe side with raw meat.

I see what you mean, but sometimes you just want to throw it in and not think about it. When you come home, the house smells nice and dinner is essentially ready to eat NOW, without waiting another hour, plus time to heat up oven. These are the reasons for crockpotting.

It's true that roasting an entire chicken for an hour is delectable, but there's the time putting the spices together and getting small chunks of butter under the skin, and waiting for the oven to heat, and then basting, turning oven down twice, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10601/08/2013

101) the way to defat the drippings is to remove the meat and veggies onto a platter and then pour the drippings left in the cooker through a strainer or colander lined with a coffee filter that empties into a bowl or large mixing cup. In other words, you're separating the fat from the other liquids. The fat will remain in the strainer.

Your prep and cleaning time is taking way too long.

by Anonymousreply 10701/08/2013

If you feel the need to put the crockpot on high for an hour before turning it down, start it as soon as you get up.

Have everything ready the night before -- in the morning, turn the pot to "high", dump everything into it, & cover.

Then go have coffee & read the paper, take a shower, brush your teeth, get dressed -- just before leaving the house, turn the pot to "low".

by Anonymousreply 10801/08/2013

Here's another:

Ham Potato casserole for breakfast. So simple, but takes time to slice potatoes and ham thin. 1.5 lbs red potatoes. 8 oz/1cup of ham. A couple poblano peppers sliced, 2T olive oil, 1T dried oregano, couple shakes of salt. Bam. 7 hours on low (over night for a filling breakfast). When ready to eat, top with grated cheese and chopped cilantro or parsley.

If you don't have poblanos, use other peppers, like chipotle (add a little water to crock if dried), and exchange cumin for oregano.

This is yummy and easy.

by Anonymousreply 10901/09/2013

No water, R109?

by Anonymousreply 11011/10/2013

The OP's "chili" recipe hardly deserves to be called chili. More like spicy spaghetti sauce.

by Anonymousreply 11111/10/2013

FYI, real chili does not contain beans. It is meat, chili and spices. I use a dark beer in it too.

by Anonymousreply 11211/11/2013

Why would you use a crockpot for that recipe, OP? It would only take an hour on your stovetop to turn those ingredients into chili.

by Anonymousreply 11311/11/2013

I make applesauce in the crockpot because it can go all day (& night) without being tended. If you suddenly have a lot of apples in season, this is a great way to use them -- & it freezes well, 2-cup batches in freezer bags lie flat & don't take up a lot of space.

Mixing different kinds of apples together (some tart & some sweet) produces applesauce with deeper, complex flavors, each batch different from the last. Leaving them unpeeled increases fiber & makes the texture a little coarser -- add sugar (brown &/or white) to taste, along with whatever spices you like (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger; garam masala might be good). If you want a smoother texture when the cooking's done, use an immersion blender or put the cooled applesauce in a regular blender.

The linked recipe for Chunky Cherry Applesauce is excellent, but I like it even better with golden delicious apples (unpeeled) & frozen raspberries.

by Anonymousreply 11411/11/2013

*drooling at the mouth* .. I really gotta get me a crockpot!!!

by Anonymousreply 11511/11/2013

[quote]*drooling at the mouth* .. I really gotta get me a crockpot!!!

I drool elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 11611/11/2013

R115 --

For versatility, I suggest you buy a new multi-function cooker.

Here's one that's a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, and a rice steamer.

The digital controls make cooking a snap. Set and forget it.

by Anonymousreply 11711/11/2013

Looks great!!! .. Thanks, R117

by Anonymousreply 11811/11/2013

I seem to have stumbled into the FRAUlounge.

by Anonymousreply 11911/11/2013

R117 - does it work for all pressure cooker functions? In particular canning?

by Anonymousreply 12011/11/2013

r120 -- I don't can so I don't know. I'm say probably not, though.

I think you need one of those big heavy aluminum Presto pressure cookers for canning.

by Anonymousreply 12111/11/2013

I don't like anything that asks to add a can of soup. Well maybe onion soup on brisket - but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 12211/11/2013

Indeed, R119. It's well-known that gay men never cook.

by Anonymousreply 12311/11/2013

Crock pot chicken, my go-to winter dish. Really only ten minutes prep. I make rice to go with it since it makes a light sauce. You can get all these spices at the grocery or dollar store.

1 teaspoon garlic powder ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon pepper 2 teaspoons dried minced onion 4 garlic cloves, chopped 1 tablespoon olive oil ½ cup balsamic vinegar 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 breasts if you prefer.

Combine the dry spices in a small bowl Pour olive oil and balsamic and put garlic on the bottom of the crock pot. Add the dry spices and mix well. Add the chicken and coat each piece with the oil/balsamic/spice mix. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.

by Anonymousreply 12411/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!