Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Singer Patti Page Dies

One of America's musical icons, Grammy-Award winner Patti Page, has died at a nursing home in Encinitas according to her personal manager.

In her seven-decade recording career, Page sold more than 100 million records making her one of the most successful female recording artists.

Page performed all over the world and was often asked to sing her biggest-selling record, "The Tennessee Waltz" which she recorded in 1951.

Others know her as the voice behind the recording "(How Much Is That) Doggie In The Window."

Page, whose real name was Clara Ann Fowler, died Tuesday night at the age of 85 according to staffers at the Seacrest Village nursing home in Encinitas.

The singer called Rancho Santa Fe her home for the last four decades.

She was set to be honored with a life-time achievement award at the Grammys in February.

by Anonymousreply 3501/04/2013

First of 2013.....

by Anonymousreply 101/02/2013

I'm shocked that she died January first. I didn't know about her death and yesterday i happened to listen to her beautiful performance of the song "Old Cape Cod". Her voice was beautiful and warm. God rest her soul. She was undeniably a singer. She had the voice and she knew how to use it.

by Anonymousreply 201/02/2013

OH MY GOD!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I LOVED HER. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 301/02/2013

[quote]Seacrest Village

Is there NOTHING that man is not involved with?

by Anonymousreply 401/02/2013

Shrieking eldergay you are a sweetheart. I kiss your tender cheeks. I think more people who love music should discover Patti Page. She had a poetry in her voice without overdoing it.

by Anonymousreply 501/02/2013

RIP Ms. Page, the world has lost a truly wonderful singer and American legend.

by Anonymousreply 601/02/2013

Weird. I've been listening to her Christmas album all this season... it's truly lovely. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 701/02/2013

We'll be doing the Tennessee Waltz at her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 801/02/2013

Sniff..... :)

With My Eyes Wide Open - Patti Page

Exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 901/02/2013

Groove Armada famously sampled "Old Cape Cod" for "At The River."

by Anonymousreply 1001/02/2013

Guys, everyone who posted for this thread, you have a really good taste in music and you are romantic at heart.

Bon Voyage Miss Patti Page

by Anonymousreply 1101/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 1201/02/2013

Why had the Grammys waited so long to honor Patti Page? It was planned for in February 2013? Seems like it should have happened years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1301/02/2013

That's lovely, r9. But I prefer The Patti Page Quartet.

Just a lovely singer. Sounds like she had a good, satisfying life.

(Did anybody here see "Flipside"? I went twice)

by Anonymousreply 1401/02/2013

My grandmother loved Patti Page.

by Anonymousreply 1501/02/2013

She was The Singing Rage.

by Anonymousreply 1601/02/2013

I'm watching the video for "How Much is That Doggie in the Window?" in her honor.

by Anonymousreply 1701/02/2013

[quote]I've been listening to her Christmas album all this season... it's truly lovely.

I don't have her album but have singles of her singing "Santo Natale" and "Christmas Choir." Peggy Lee has some nice Christmas songs, too.

by Anonymousreply 1801/02/2013

She was quite good in Elmer Gantry....a film you all have to see. It is a very prescient film.

Regarding Patti, an off-Broadway show about her just opened last week!

by Anonymousreply 1901/02/2013

The off-Broadway show about Patti Page was a limited engagement. It closed on Sunday, just two days before she died. Too bad. If it was still open, I might make an effort to see the show now.

by Anonymousreply 2001/02/2013

I hope TCM shows "Dondi" in her honor. "Goshers miss lady-buddy!"

by Anonymousreply 2101/02/2013

Guy Pearce mouthed her words to "I Don't Care if the Sun Don't Shine" in Priscilla beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 2201/02/2013

I get her mixed up with Anne Murray

by Anonymousreply 2301/02/2013

One of the greatest pop singers of the 50s and beyond - who can forget her recording of the title song to "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" ??

by Anonymousreply 2401/03/2013

I've spent much of the day listening to her hits on YouTube expecting something completely different than what I'm hearing. Where are the angry songs that had her dubbed Singing Rage?

by Anonymousreply 2501/03/2013

Trivia: the voice of the arf-arf dog is believed to be 20/20 host Hugh Downs.

The song will always bring this image to mind for me.

by Anonymousreply 2601/03/2013

Heaven has a new angel. I have been a fan since 1948 and shall miss her but shall continue listening to her numerous CDs. I just adore her songs Butterflies and I Wanna Go Skating With Willie. I remember back in 1950 when she first reacched number one on the Billboard charts with All My Love.

Alas, she has left us for heaven: I hope.

by Anonymousreply 2701/04/2013

please, The Singing Rage was not about anger but that she was the most popular female singer of her era, hence THE SINGING RAGE, person friend

by Anonymousreply 2801/04/2013

Gene you are very sweet and positive despite your doubts.

Kisses to you.

Yes Patti Page was a gifted, amazing singer. I love 'Butterflies' too.

:)

by Anonymousreply 2901/04/2013

I've never heard the word rage substituted for popular. Is it an obsolete slang term? I'm not doubting you I just think it's very strange.

by Anonymousreply 3001/04/2013

#27 = Joan Crawford, writing on her trademark blue stationary

by Anonymousreply 3101/04/2013

Patti didn't die in a nursing home, Seacrest Village is an upscale retirement community.

by Anonymousreply 3201/04/2013

r31, when referring to a previous post type R plus the message number. Using #27 won't allow us to see the message your mentioning. Thanks :)

by Anonymousreply 3301/04/2013

R32, it's a retirement community with assisted living facilities as well as a nursing home community. This is typical of most "retirement" communities these days. They have different levels of care that residents can move into as required.

by Anonymousreply 3401/04/2013

Seacrest Village:

Encinitas

This thriving beach community in north San Diego County offers lots of sunshine, ocean breezes and swaying palms. Just minutes from Moonlight Beach, Seacrest Village in Encinitas is in a comprehensive retirement community with four levels of care.

Independent Living

Assisted Living

Alzheimer’s/Dementia care

Skilled Nursing/Rehabilitation/Long Term Care

by Anonymousreply 3501/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.