Since 1995

I'm going to Costco today for toilet paper, cat food and free samples

This is my life.

by Anonymousreply 5601/06/2013

My condolences.

by Anonymousreply 112/31/2012

And your point is?

by Anonymousreply 312/31/2012

Isn't "and your point is?" very 1999 or something?

by Anonymousreply 412/31/2012

Good for you, OP, you've got your priorities in order.

by Anonymousreply 512/31/2012

I'm a Sam's Club guy myself, (sniff like Barney Fife here).

by Anonymousreply 612/31/2012

I WISH I had a Costco. The nearest Sam's Club is a hour away...

by Anonymousreply 712/31/2012

If you're anything like me, you will come home with a lifetime supply of chocolate covered pomegranate candy, a Dyson heating/cooling fan and an Intelliseat heated toilet seat/bidet. Fiendish place.

by Anonymousreply 812/31/2012

Sam's Club=evil

by Anonymousreply 912/31/2012

OP = Betty Butterfield

by Anonymousreply 1012/31/2012

Sam's Club = here

Costco ≠ here

by Anonymousreply 1112/31/2012

Don't forget to pick up a baked chicken.

by Anonymousreply 1212/31/2012

R6, just because I have several Walmarts within driving distance does not mean that I have to patronize them.

by Anonymousreply 1312/31/2012

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but … I like a bargain!

We have Chick-Fil-A restaurants here and I do not patronize these. Will this earn me dispensation to shop at our Sam's Club, R13 ?

I do so want to please you! I live for your blessing.

by Anonymousreply 1412/31/2012

OP, no. This his just *one* day out of your life. Stop being so damn dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 1512/31/2012

Bring me a pepperoni pizza, OP. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 1612/31/2012

[quote]I'm a Sam's Club guy myself

Ugh, nothing I'd ever admit in polite company. Its' the evil of Wal*Mart.

If you MUST go to warehouse stores like that, go to Costco. If there is no CostCo to go to, then don't go at all and do without.

by Anonymousreply 1712/31/2012

Toilet paper, cat food and free samples? OP, please tell us that you're not buying the cat food for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1812/31/2012

I just bought a Cosco card online yesterday for the new year. can't wait to use it.

by Anonymousreply 1912/31/2012

Don't buy the toilet paper, steal a few rolls from the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 2012/31/2012

OP, bragging that he has a Costco membership AND a cat.

by Anonymousreply 2112/31/2012

I'm actually going on Wednesday. Need water and eggs. Maybe tortilla chips. Kleenex, too.

by Anonymousreply 2212/31/2012

[quote] I WISH I had a Costco. The nearest Sam's Club is a hour away...

I wish I had Costco, too. The nearest is an hour and a half away. And it doesn't sell liquor or gas. I wish I had a Trader Joe's, too. I don't know about Whole Foods because I've never been in one.

But here in NY, Costco can't sell liquor and Trader Joe can only have one wine shop in the entire state. It has to do with a law that doesn't allow liquor store chains.

by Anonymousreply 2312/31/2012

The Trader Joe liquor store in NYC is physically separate from the market because in addition to allowing only one license per proprietorship, New York prohibits selling wine or liquor in a grocery store. Beer is, mysteriously, sold in markets, but not in liquor stores.

by Anonymousreply 2401/01/2013

I need water quite frequently also R22. But I'm lucky and we have it on tap.

by Anonymousreply 2501/01/2013

R25, you're lucky your tap water tastes good enough to drink. I use two different kinds of water filters and I still don't like the flavor, so I mask it by squeezing lemon into it.

by Anonymousreply 2601/01/2013

Some of those bizarre liquor laws in NY State are meant to protect NY wine producers.

by Anonymousreply 2701/01/2013

You could be living in a tin shack in a third world country OP. Appreciate you even have toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 2801/01/2013

Who gives a shit. The cat thing made me laugh. Typical.

by Anonymousreply 2901/01/2013

I'm a BJ's shopper. They've started carrying a decent amount of organic food, too. And amazing meat prices.

by Anonymousreply 3001/01/2013

I live in Seattle, without a car, and have no access to these places! Closest I get is a long bus ride to Tarzhay! Get your toilet paper at Trader Joe's people - it is divine! I need to go there later this week to see their prices on Rit Color Out; the red bath towels Mater sent stained my whites pink!

by Anonymousreply 3101/01/2013

Costco has free samples?

by Anonymousreply 3201/01/2013

[quote] New York prohibits selling wine or liquor in a grocery store. Beer is, mysteriously, sold in markets, but not in liquor stores.

They can sell wine and mixed drinks like "hard" lemonade but they can only have the same alcohol content as beer. I don't know why anyone would buy wine with 7% alcohol in it. All those calories and carbs and only half the buzz.

by Anonymousreply 3301/01/2013

[quote]Costco has free samples?

Oh, man. Go at the right time of the day when all of the sample booths are operating and it's nearly impossible to push your cart through the masses of elderly surging to get a piece of salmon or some other food they would otherwise turn their nose up at in any other setting.

by Anonymousreply 3401/01/2013

Supermarkets can sell low-alcohol content liquor.

by Anonymousreply 3501/01/2013

R32, every time I'm at Costco, they've got a half-dozen women in hairnets giving out samples.

by Anonymousreply 3601/01/2013

Yup, it totally works too. Half the time you end up buying the stuff you sampled.

by Anonymousreply 3701/01/2013

I feel bad for people that have a pre-conceived negative idea of Costco. The best meat on the planet (seriously.). You will never eat a better N.Y.strip. Also the meat is not sold at discounted or bulk prices. It's about the same as non-sale prices at the super market (often higher.). The point is once you've tried it you will be startled by the quality. Something else about Costco is how ethically treated and well paid the employees are. Health insurance for all employees. A business model that understands happy healthy,well compensated and respected employees are loyal hard working employees.The owner is huge supporter of the President (and universal health care.). In a culture where most corporations treat low-level employees like something the CEO finds stuck to the bottom of his thousand-dollar shoe,it is a refreshing pleasure to shop in a store that offers the quality and value that Costco does.

by Anonymousreply 3801/01/2013

I just go for the samples.

by Anonymousreply 3901/01/2013

[quote]cart through the masses

Seriously. What the F*ck is up with the carts at Costco? No other supermarket/box store is so out-of-control with the f*cking carts. People just barrel through with no direction, no manners, with those damn things loaded to the hilt - and with the goddamned kids hanging off of them or in tow. Total bumper cars. Drives me crazy. And people get serious cart rage, too.

by Anonymousreply 4001/01/2013

R40, don't get me started on the people who load things onto PALLETS! Holy crap, they can take out 10 carts with just one wrong move.

by Anonymousreply 4101/01/2013

R40, in my experience, that seems to depend on the neighborhood. I shop at 3 different Costcos & only 1 of them is full of rude customers. I do go early in the morning, so even the "good" stores may be worse later in the day, but I think the neighborhood would still be the determining factor.

by Anonymousreply 4201/01/2013

My negative idea of Costco comes from the fact that my parents would take me to Costco every Saturday (if not to stock up for themselves, then to browse for themselves for hours) and it would be packed. It was also far away, and I would get carsick both ways. They wouldn't let me stay home.

Then, on Sundays, my mom made me go to church and Sunday school. That was also far away, and I would get carsick both ways. Then, time for homework. I was 16 fucking years old when I finally became un-brainwashed and realized they couldn't threaten me if I didn't obey them.

by Anonymousreply 4301/01/2013

I heart Costco.

by Anonymousreply 4401/01/2013

R43, that's abuse.

I never go to Costco on a weekend, unless I can get there right when they open at 9:30am on Sat -- then I can generally get in & out within 15-30 minutes. Otherwise, I'd risk spending most of the day stuck in crowds & lines & parking lot aisles.

by Anonymousreply 4501/01/2013

Most people live horribly mundane lives. This is why art is so important--it gives us a chance, for a little while, to transcend the drabness of daily existence.

by Anonymousreply 4601/01/2013

Am I the only one offended by the free sample zombies?

I've never seen anyone at Costco who looked in danger of starvation, yet they swarm like flies to shit to the hair-netted old witches who dish out samples, keen to stick any old tidbit of food sample into their gobs.

by Anonymousreply 4701/01/2013

I guess, but you're dying on a mighty small cross there, R47. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods sample, and no one seems to pitch a fit about that.

I like the samples, because 4 out of 5 times they eliminate any desire I might ever have to buy whatever they're sampling.

by Anonymousreply 4801/01/2013

In SF most people I know drive down to Daly City or South SF to Costco only to buy jugs of premium liquor cheaply. There's a liquor store and a bar on every corner here. All general grocery stores sell booze. Sales are allowed 6am-1:30am, 7 days a week.

by Anonymousreply 4901/01/2013

We're going tonight for cat litter. We'll actually leave with about 200 dollars of other crap. All in bulk.

by Anonymousreply 5001/02/2013

We're getting a new Costco in our city and I can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 5101/02/2013

Just a suggestion, OP -- don't try the free samples of cat food.

by Anonymousreply 5201/02/2013

[quote]don't get me started on the people who load things onto PALLETS

Some customers are commercial, not household buyers. I know a store owner who buys supplies there.

by Anonymousreply 5301/02/2013

What I hate are the people who feel they need to stand in front of the sample-giver to taste the sample - as if there is any interest whatsoever in their reaction to the said sample. "Hmm. That's tasty." Then, their obligatory head nod as if to indicate that they are actually considering making the purchase ... all in an attempt to assuage their guilt for simply grabbing the sample and walking off without buying the shit. Meanwhile, there is a maelstrom of carts and customers around them.

by Anonymousreply 5401/05/2013

I love Costco and always visit at lunchtime, so I feel less guilty about the samples. It's a meal replacement for me.

The last time I went, they were serving smoked salmon on crackers, big chunks of Parmesan cheese, Brie cheese on french bread, three different varieties of chicken sausage, chicken salad wraps, greek yogurt with honey, two types of pot stickers, some sort of chicken fingers, flavored San Pelligrino, and jelly belly's.

I'm glad it isn't closer to my house...otherwise it might be a daily temptation. They also have that snack area in the front of the store with pizza, hot dogs and soda, but I've never tried that stuff. The prices are dirt cheap, though.

PS There is a CNBC documentary about Costco running now. It was very interesting. Costco claims to break even on their warehouse stores---they make their profit on the memberships. That would explain the good prices and high quality. Once you are a member of Costco, you don't complain about the annual membership fee because it is totally worth it.

by Anonymousreply 5501/05/2013

I went to Costco shortly before Christmas and the people making absolute pigs of themselves at the free food sample carts really put me off.

Hey fatass, it's a free sample not your fucking lunch!

by Anonymousreply 5601/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!