Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Just finished the movie "Drive"

So diaappointed. Shitty movie, shittier soundtrack. I'd have to say one of tne worst soundtracks ever - It belonged in an 80's teen movie. At the end of the movie, hearing that synth soaked song, all I could see was an 80's prom scene.

It had a few good moments, but for the most part, it just reminded me of a crappy, low budget, indie film.

Too bad, because the cast is stellar. What a waste.

If you have seen it, did you like it or not?

by Anonymousreply 4801/04/2013

The most overrated film of 2011. Tries way too hard to be a Michael Man/Paul Schrader thriller, complete with "brooding" anti-hero. I can't believe people were whining about how this movie was "snubbed" by the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 112/31/2012

Here's an entertaining thread about the movie on Imdb, titled "ONLY ONE OSCAR NOM!!!!!!" The OP goes on to post:

[quote]Come on, academy, really? Here is what the film should have been nominated for= Best Picture Best director- Nicolas Winding Refn Best adapted script- Hossein Amini Best Actor- Ryan Gosling Best supporting actor- Albert Brooks Best Cinematography- Newton Thomas Sigel Best Film editing- Matthew Newman Best art direction- Christopher Tandon Best Sound Mixing and Sound Editing

Seriously, this is ridiculous.

Imdb fanboys are funny.

by Anonymousreply 212/31/2012

Too violent. Hated it but Gosling was hot.

by Anonymousreply 312/31/2012

The first ten minutes were wonderful. The remaining 90 minutes sucked. Also, Carey Mulligan was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 412/31/2012

Terrible movie, hugely overrated. The Les Miz of 2011.

by Anonymousreply 612/31/2012

Probably the most boring Action/Thriller in years.

by Anonymousreply 712/31/2012

It's not for Americans. Stick to your Honey Boo Boo.

by Anonymousreply 812/31/2012

I haven't seen the film but I really like the songs "Nightcall" and "A Real Hero" off the soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 912/31/2012

The lead actor wasn't a woman over 50, so no wonder DL doesn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 1212/31/2012

Ryan Gosling is the third hottest guy in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 1312/31/2012

Who is 1 and 2, R13?

by Anonymousreply 1412/31/2012

1. Chris Evans 2. Aaron Taylor-Johnson

Just my opinion, of course.

by Anonymousreply 1512/31/2012

[quote]Terrible movie, hugely overrated. The Les Miz of 2011.

Not exactly. Millions of people will have paid to see Les Miz. Considering all the hype, Drive died fast death at the box office.

But yeah, hugely overrated, contrived mess with plot holes you could drive a truck through. Had a couple of pretty good scenes and some cool visuals but other than that it was fluff.

by Anonymousreply 1712/31/2012

Drive made 75 million on a budget of 15. That's not a box office death, and it was never intended or expected to make Avengers style money.

by Anonymousreply 1812/31/2012

And it's not in the black yet.

by Anonymousreply 1912/31/2012

Gosling was hotter in Crazy Sexy Love - and nakeder.

by Anonymousreply 2001/01/2013

OP is obviously a Philistine.

Fortunately, the majority of people who watch DRIVE greatly enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 2101/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 2201/01/2013

You guys are nuts. I love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 2301/01/2013

Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 2401/01/2013

Anyone who thinks Carey Mulligan is a hot chick must be the same asshole who keeps going to Keira Knightly movies. And is certainly not American. KK's movies TANK in the US, unless JDepp is in it.

by Anonymousreply 2501/01/2013

I liked some parts but it just didn't flow it seemed forced and artificial. A lot of the times when Ryan's character was quiet, it just didn't make sense. It was a wannabe masterpiece that didn't happen. I fucking love the soundtrack the fact that it has an 80s touch makes me love it. There was potential there and Ryan looked hot.

by Anonymousreply 2601/01/2013

The director missed a great opportunity to cast an under-utilized very talented Hispanic actress in Mulligan's role. Instead he cast the very white Mulligan who looked out of place.

by Anonymousreply 2701/01/2013

I love R12.

by Anonymousreply 2801/01/2013

I absolutely loved Drive. One of the best of the year. Very subtle, very sophisticated filmmaking. Sad that so many people just didn't get it. Looking forward to Refns next movies. Also don't get the Carey Mulligan dislike. She was WAY better than overrated Fassbender in Shame.

by Anonymousreply 2901/01/2013

The one Oscar nomination it did get -- Best Sound Editing -- was truly and genuinely deserved. It also should've been cited for its glorious cinematography. Visually and aurally, it was hypnotic and is best appreciated on a big screen.

Intellectually, however, it's a mess; emotionally, it fails to connect. Refn's decision to strip most of the dialogue from the script may have been smart if the original script had bad dialogue (we'll never know), but it made the film seem derivative of so many other films that came before (violent gangsters, double-crossing femme fatales, the laconic anti-hero, which, despite his sexiness, Gosling can't play well -- he WAS vastly superior in Crazy. Stupid. Love.). And, yes, Carey Mulligan was terribly miscast; it's not much of a role to begin with, but to cast the whitest of white girls as a Latina is unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 3001/01/2013

R30 Gosling was terrible in Crazy Stupid Love (the whole movie was awful), and he was mediocre in that Ides movie. He looks and sounds even worse in his next one. Smart decision on Refn's part to have him not talking too much in Drive. Other than that I thought he was great as Driver and not talking actually added to his mystique. Carey was great too. People sadly just don't understand subtlety any more.

by Anonymousreply 3101/01/2013

It was a great film. I saw it once but I remember almost every scene.

If you like Michael Bay...go for it.

by Anonymousreply 3201/01/2013

OK, I would not have cast Mulligan but she's better than Michelle Williams.

by Anonymousreply 3301/01/2013

[quote]but to cast the whitest of white girls as a Latina is unbelievable.

She was supposed to be Latina? What??

by Anonymousreply 3401/01/2013

Nobody has ever looked better in a satin jacket than Ryan Gosling in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 3501/01/2013

Let's not forget that Gosling is going to make his daredevil return in 2013's "Place Beyond the Pines" with Eva Mendes. The suddenly-next-Leo, Dane DeHaan, is going to play the older version of their son together.

So far, all 8 reporting critics have liked it or loved it. I want to see it, but am afraid it's going to be yet another overrated film that I'll be shamed for not completely buying into. I appreciated Blue Valentine, though, and it's the same director...

by Anonymousreply 3601/01/2013

A brilliant, disturbing film that only middlebrows like the people posting here could not appreciate. Lowebrows don't count--they know they are dumb--but middlebrows revel in reminding you about who and what they are.

Ignore and endure. "Drive" will last.

by Anonymousreply 3701/01/2013

I can't wait to see ONLY GOD FORGIVES, which has both Gosling and Refn.

by Anonymousreply 3801/01/2013

R37, big Mary.

Just because we didn't like this particular movie doesn't mean we are "dumb". Your ignorant, pretentious post says way more about you (and trying to be "high brow"), than it does about those of us who didn't like the film.

by Anonymousreply 3901/01/2013

R37: Your asinine "whateverbrow" argument is barely coherent.

by Anonymousreply 4001/01/2013

R37 is trying too hard. God, I hate people like that. Judges people because they didn't like *one* certain movie. What a moron.

by Anonymousreply 4101/02/2013

I was thoroughly engaged by the film, but strictly through the visuals (and the great sound design); I couldn't wait to see what the director, the cinematographer, the editor and the sound guys did next. Mixing film noir and Spaghetti Westerns and 70s/80s Walter Hill & Michael Mann, the movie is a treat to watch.

But I wasn't engaged in the story. This kind of scenario has been done too many times in the past 30 years and to really make it interesting again you have to offer more than just stunning visuals and staggering sound design -- you need interesting, complex characters. And this is what Drive is entirely lacking.

Yes, it's a fantastic cast, but the characters really are nothing more than puppets to propel the plot, scenery for elaborate shots. Gosling's character is your usual laconic nameless, pastless hero from countless Westerns, but he doesn't offer any new spin on it to make it memorable. Carey Mulligan really suffers with a wimpy girl-child who wanders from scene to scene, seemingly helpless. Albert Brooks and Ron Perlman are your usual violent, swearing gangsters. Bryan Cranston is the hero's sidekick whose fate is sealed the moment he appears on-screen.

This is so much the problem with many modern films; more interested in the technique than they are in story and character.

by Anonymousreply 4201/02/2013

The ghost of Marlon Brando in A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE is coming to kill r35!

by Anonymousreply 4301/02/2013

I thought it was one of the best films of last year. The OP's comment was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4401/02/2013

I disagree with R42, but his points are reasonable. At least he actually says something thoughtful rather than posting a knee jerk I HATE IT!

by Anonymousreply 4501/02/2013

Apart from that terrible looking Ganster Squad movie, Goslings next collaborations with Derek Cianfrance and Nicolas Winding Refn should be great. The Pines trailer looks awesome. 2 of my must-see movies this year. Cant wait to see what Refn and Cianfrance will do next!

by Anonymousreply 4601/02/2013

R42 just can get the picture that men do fall in love with women, it happens all the time. That's why they make so many films about it.

by Anonymousreply 4701/02/2013

I have a doctorate and have taught "Drive" in a class. I agree with r37. So many people here are just idiots. Lol. Yes, true middlebrows. They don't get "Drive" but they love trash like "Les Mis" and "Silver Linings." Sad.

by Anonymousreply 4801/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!