Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's New Years Eve Eve, and I have no plans

I just realized I have absolutely no plans for New Years Eve this year.

I'm not sure, at this point, I feel comfortable asking around what other people are doing in order to fish for an invitation or invite myself along.

Am I really going to spend NYE home alone by myself? What a depressing thought.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2912/31/2012

Why?

New Years Eve celebrations can be incredibly overrated.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 112/30/2012

True, R1, but I'm thinking more of some of the great years where I just get together with some friends ... not necessary any huge parties or heading down to the bars.

Though heading down to the bars alone is an option, I'm not sure that wouldn't be even MORE depressing.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 212/30/2012

OP, if I were you I would force yourself to ask around until you find a friend who invites you along for their plans. Whatever discomfort you feel will be less than the depression you will feel if you really do spend it at home alone.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 312/30/2012

We never have any plans. Going out for New Year's Eve is never as much fun as you think it should be. Hanging out at home, making pizza and watching videos, playing with the dogs - that's about it for us. No regrets.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 412/30/2012

R4, that works because you're an "us".

I'm a "me".

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 512/30/2012

I am the exact opposite, I dread new year's eve invitations, I always say I'm busy unless it's a very small dinner party with close friends.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 612/30/2012

It's frackin' Monday.

Skip it.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 712/30/2012

R5, I've spent New Year's Eve alone before, pretty much doing the same things. It's nice that the bf is here this year, but he'll be zonked out on the couch with the dogs long before midnight anyway.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 812/30/2012

Go to a movie.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 912/30/2012

I agree that new years eve sometimes comes with too much pressure to be overly - joyful. Why not try contemplative and grateful? For example, this year I am staying home, starting a new journal, writing out my goals - long term and short term - planning my 2013, and updating my dream board. Im just saying instead of thinking everybody who is not "alone" is ecstatic and wearing sequins, be grateful for a peaceful, productive New Year's Eve filled with dreams and hope.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 1012/31/2012

So stay home with a cuppa noodles and watch old movies. That's what the cool girls do.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 1112/31/2012

Why have you only just realised you have no NYE plans, OP? Perhaps the reason you have nothing arranged is because you don't bother to make any plans in advance.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 1212/31/2012

You can always say what people like Humphrey Bogart used to say, "New Year's Eve is for amateurs" and then refused to drink on that day.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 1312/31/2012

"updating my dream board?"

I don't know what that is, but it sounds vaguely creepy. I think I'd rather be throwing up on a stranger in a bar.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 1412/31/2012

Boo hop, OP. I've spent the last 11 days alone including Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, etc. For the 3rd year in a row. Don't care much about NYE - would never go out that night anyway. Too many people DETERMINED to have a good time.

But listen, why are you waiting around for someone else to make it fun? There must be things you enjoy doing on your own. I'm a good cook, even better baker, I like to spend my time in the kitchen doing culinary stuff, listening to great music on the radio (6music), getting high, dancing around. Later I'll settle down and watch a movie or a comedy round up of the year. Wednesday it's back to the gym.

I have realised that I am alone, though not lonely much, but I realise I need to open my life up, let people in. The last few years have been tough so I've mostly put my nose to the grindstone and kept to myself. But there's nothing wrong with me. I just need to conquer my low level fears and open my life up.

But, first and foremost, enjoy yourself! I never understand why people feel like failures if they're alone. It's just a circumstance you can change. In the meantime - amuse yourself.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 1512/31/2012

Big deal OP. Stay at home. Watch a movie if you want. Eat some ice cream. Go to sleep early. You will wake up fine tomorrow. Not doing anything of "New Years Eve" will not kill you...

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 1612/31/2012

I have no plans for NYE either and I'm just staying home. I might buy a bottle of my favorite wine and have some good food, but that's about it.

I'm sure sometime today I'll write down my goals that I have for next year like I always do (and of course never achieve). But at least it's a reminder of what I need to work on.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 1712/31/2012

Listen to Bette Midler's divine version of What are you doing New Year's Eve? and scream "Nothing! Nothing!" as you cry into a bag of cheetos.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 1812/31/2012

I had plans , then I started to puke , now I have a date with my toilet

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 1912/31/2012

[quote]Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparently

Oh dear

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2012/31/2012

I was a little depressed that I had nothing to do, but it doesn't seem so bad being a Monday night.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2112/31/2012

How old are you, OP? I ask because my first impulse was to lecture you about how overrated NYE is (r1 is correct,) but I decided not to because I suddenly remembered that when I was young,drinking, and even then, disliking NYE, still, I wanted to go out if for no other reason then to chase the dream; to see if maybe this NYE the reality would meet my idealistic expectations of the evening. It never did.

If you don't want to spend the evening alone, then don't. Call up family or friends and find out what's happening. Or, go out to the local bar alone and strike up a conversation with whoever is there sitting at the bar. After years of drinking and the bar life, I know how remarkably easy that is to do, even for amateurs and especially on NYE, when people are in a social mood. The easy trick is to be a good listener/conversationalist. I've had more fun meeting and getting to know and party with total strangers then mingling with people I already know at a planned party.

Back to me. There are two days I dislike: Memorial Day and New Year's Eve and I write this as one of those fortunate people who enjoy all of the other holidays, most of all Thanksgiving and Christmas.(Well now that I think of it, I'm not crazy about Independence Day,either.)

That's because no other two days of the year remind me so much about the relentlessness of time. All day during those two days, I'm overwhelmed with bittersweet memories. Perhaps my reaction to Memorial Day and NYE is the purest form of "celebrating" them, but still, I'm always in a better mood the day after.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2212/31/2012

I could care less about New Years Eve. And the older I get, the more I just want to stay home. I'm in Connecticut and it's obviously been the worst year ever here and I don't think anything will ever be the same for us. Then I look at the rest of the mess - the idiots in Washington, the horrible inequality between the rich and the rest of us, people suffering everywhere. Who the fuck gives a shit about New Years Eve? The only think I'm doing tonight is having some drinks.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2312/31/2012

NYE is always bittersweet for me, too many memories of people now gone. So I don't force myself to feel what I don't.

I am staying in, making myself a dinner of chicken breasts roasted on a bed of butternut squash,fuji apples and hazelnuts, seasoned with sage.

I have a nice bottle of wine and am planning to watch A Christmas Carol (Alastair Sims version) which I missed last week.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2412/31/2012

R15 talks too much.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2512/31/2012

I find any kind of focus on New Year's Eve to be utterly alien. My family never cared about it, and I'm shocked to meet people who attach any sort of importance to it.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2612/31/2012

All of my straight married friends are excited because they're going to get pussy tonight. Apparently New Years Eve is a big pussy night.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2712/31/2012

This year friends are either working or made plans with others that they know (and that I don't ....).

Bought some seafood and am staying in tonight. We all usually do dinner together, but I'm happy to chill out and bring in the new year quietly.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2812/31/2012

Well, I got a last minute invitation... but it's cold and gray and foggy and rainy, I'm not feeling really well (exhausted + allergies), and don't really feel like messing with driving and parking and downtown crowds.

I politely declined, and will catch up on reading and some TV maybe.

by Now New Years Kiss For Me, apparentlyreply 2912/31/2012
Need more help? Click Here.