Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hairline cracks in teeth

I've have tiny cracks in my front teeth. Noticed them by looking close with a mirror after they became sensitive to hot drinks. I grind my teeth, and have for years because of stress. I go to the dentist regularly, and they haven't mentioned this.

The question for Dataloungers who know: Am I fucked? Looking down the slope of veneers/dentures? Is there a reputable way to strengthen the teeth to prevent this?

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2013

My teeth are the same and my dentist never says anything, either. I do wear a retainer at night. See if you can get one, OP. It might help.

by Anonymousreply 112/30/2012

The mouth guard is worth the investment.

Otherwise, it's dentures or implants which cost about 5 grand per tooth.

by Anonymousreply 212/30/2012

Go ahead and avoid the heartache of cracked teefies -- tap them out with a piano tuning hammer and get yourself an plate.

I am glad I did.

by Anonymousreply 312/30/2012

Brush with super glue.

by Anonymousreply 412/30/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2012

First of all get to a good dentist, a cosmetic one.

Veneers only last about 10 years and they remove part of the teeth, so you'll have to have them forever.

It costs about $1,700 per tooth for an implant, but if you can pay cash you can often get them for about $1,000 a tooth. This is what you pay per tooth for a veer.

Veneers, caps and dentures NEVER look like real teeth. Real teeth have a luminous look that fake teeth will never have.

Dentures fall out and crack and you can forget about having a sex life. Who wants to kiss a guy and have the dentures fall out?

So go to a cosmetic dentist and save, save, save, or better yet, just brush your teeth. They'll last a lifetime and it's not disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 612/30/2012

If your tooth is cracked, no veneer will save it.

If the tooth is cracked, it has to come out.

by Anonymousreply 712/30/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 812/30/2012

OP, no, you are not fucked.

I believe we have the same issue, and all of the dentists (and the orthodontist) who have examined mine said that the "hairline cracks" are not abnormal and are no need for alarm as long as i maintain excellent oral hygiene, get regular check-ups, and don't use my teeth for things they're not intended to do. (As a youngster i had a bad habit of chewing pens/pencils apart, cracking shelled nuts with my teeth, etc.)

Good luck with the grinding issue as i have that also; you should be concerned with following up on that. Your sensitivity may be caused by grinding wear...i have the same problem.

by Anonymousreply 912/30/2012

Cracks will eventually lead to tooth and gum decay/infection.

by Anonymousreply 1012/30/2012

Remember the old commercial, sometimes even your best friends won't tell you.

They're just being kind and not mentioning it.

Thinking your dentures look real is like drinking Diet Coke and saying "it tastes just like the real thing."

And they do fall out. Polygrip isn't superglue for god's sake. You can't eat properly with dentures. Try taking a bite out of an apple dude or a sub sandwich. You have to cut things up and you wind up eating like a pig.

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012

Anyone heard of Clear Choice dental impants? Opinions?

by Anonymousreply 1312/30/2012

Get a nightguard to prevent any more damage. Call around the dentists in your area. Some dentists charge a fortune. they range from $300 to $1800. You don't need to spend $1800

by Anonymousreply 1412/30/2012

I had a night guard made by my dentist and hated it, expensive too. Now I have an over the counter model and I like it better.

by Anonymousreply 1512/30/2012

Thanks, guys.

What about those enamel restoring toothpastes and mouthwashes? I'm thinking of the Listerine 6-in-1 that has a "strengthen enamel" claim on the bottle.

Do they work or are they bullshit? Any DDS's in the house?

by Anonymousreply 1612/30/2012

The best mouthwash is ACT original--not the "restoring--the green fluid with the built-in cup at the top of the bottle. You have to be careful with some of the new-fangled mouthwashes that contain ingredients that actually stain teeth.

Also using breath mints with xylitol will help stave off decay.

I use these--

by Anonymousreply 1712/30/2012

You can't "repair" a crack, OP.

Sorry. The longer you wait, the worse off you'll be.

If you get an infection, you're in danger of bone loss, which might require bone-grafting from cadaver donor.

If you think I'm exaggerating, look it up.

Consult a periodontist.

by Anonymousreply 1812/31/2012

[quote]Dentures fall out and crack and you can forget about having a sex life. Who wants to kiss a guy and have the dentures fall out?

You've obviously never gotten a blowjob from someone who wears dentures.

by Anonymousreply 1912/31/2012

You need to do the mouthguard, or whatever it takes to stop grinding your teeth. But the hairline crazing which you can see with a magnifying mirror is not a "crack" that will cause decay or other bad problems. Just use Sensodyn toothpaste until the sensitivity subsides. A mixture of baking soda and salt is the best dentrifice available, besides being cost effective, and every dentist that I have asked agrees with me. The problem is the taste, but you get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 2001/02/2013

My dentist pointed out supposed hairline cracks in some of my molars and recommended getting crowns, so I did. You might consider them yourself.

by Anonymousreply 2101/02/2013

[quote]Real teeth have a luminous look that fake teeth will never have.

Shut the fuck up, you ignorant bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2201/02/2013

The problem with crowns is that once you get them you're other teeth are screwed.

If you go with gold it's your best bet and is the medium of choice for crowns and fillings. Of course who wants a gold tooth showing?

If you use porcelain, the teeth directly below it will have issues within five years. Porcelain is much, MUCH stronger than your natural teeth and the teeth above and below it, will be subject to a lot of undo force.

So you have to go and have those teeth attended to quite often and looked at proactively. Eventually over a period of years, say ten to twenty, IF the crown lasts that long, the teeth below and above will crack from the stress.

Crowns average about ten years life span, so you'll have to get them replaced and they do not discolor, so after about five years, the will no longer match your teeth, and truthfully, they never really match anyway.

As someone else stated, real teeth have a luminescence that veneers and crowns will not have.

So go with gold, if possible, especially in back and that will relieve most of your stress problems, plus when it's replaced you can resell the gold.

by Anonymousreply 2301/02/2013

Resell the gold? Good god! I have a horrible toothache. Please help!

by Anonymousreply 2406/20/2013

Supposedly your teeth can remineralize with fermented cod liver oil and vitamin K2 (Menatetrenone)....

by Anonymousreply 2506/20/2013

My dentist told me that I should never brush with baking soda. It is so abrasive that it rubs the enamel off your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 2606/20/2013

OP most of these fuckers are trying to scare you.

I was in a cycling accident in 2006 and had hairline cracks on three of my molars. Now I have crowns on those teeth. One, of them previously has a filling and I needed to get a root canal on that tooth, but the rest are good as new, and you could not tell that they are crowns. Not that anyone is inspecting my molars.

Get a good dentist and invest in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 2706/20/2013

[quote] Get a nightguard to prevent any more damage. Call around the dentists in your area. Some dentists charge a fortune. they range from $300 to $1800. You don't need to spend $1800

For implants, yes you do. Your best bet for implants is an oral surgeon. Expensive? Yes. But when I have someone drilling into my jawbone and putting a metal post in there, forgive me if I err on the side of caution and want to have an expert do it.

by Anonymousreply 2806/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!