Since 1995

I've Decided to Become a Gaymer

Any advice?

by Anonymousreply 9812/17/2013

Weigh it for yourself honey

by Anonymousreply 112/30/2012

Whats that?

by Anonymousreply 212/30/2012

You mean park yourself in front of the monitor for 24 hours a day, fighting virtual enemies and gain 200 lbs?

by Anonymousreply 312/30/2012

Oh a gaymer as in gamer. Doh!

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2012

Finding your gaming niche. Try out a few games in each gaming category (obviously at beginner levels) and see where you go from there.

You have to find out if you're into platforms, FPS's, RPG's, Strategy games,, etc...

Actually the Walking Dead game that just came out is a very good bridge for the beginning gamer. It's relatively short, and easy to play, but the storyline is very moving and emotionally affecting. It's a great game for a beginner.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is also a relatively good game for a beginner. Then try LittleBigPlanet just to change it up and see if you prefer games in that genre. And Battlefield 3 is a good shooter for beginners.

I would also recommend Heavy Rain for beginners.

by Anonymousreply 612/30/2012

X-Box or PS3?

by Anonymousreply 712/30/2012

Get an Xbox 360, and/or make sure you have a PC (not a mac) with a really good graphics card.

by Anonymousreply 812/30/2012

Skyrim: The best game ever invented.

Borderlands, and Borderlands 2: The best 'shooter/looter' games ever

Fallout 3: Same vein as Skyrim, only in a post-apocalyptic wasteland... very well done, with some clever humor and some true horror.

RAGE: a decent shooter

FarCry, FarCry 2, and FarCry 3: a great series of shooters

Crysis, and Crysis 2: Awesome series of shooters

by Anonymousreply 912/30/2012

Check out GaymerConnect on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 1012/30/2012

A life of Cheezies and Coke A Cola.

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012

"Coke A Cola"?

by Anonymousreply 1212/31/2012

Is Portal 2 good? What kind of game is it?

by Anonymousreply 1312/31/2012

Portal 2 is an awesome game. It's a "First-Person Puzzle Game", which makes it rather unique.

Play Portal first though. It's cheap, and fun, and will get you into the game. It was more of a demo, so it's a short game with not a lot of plot. Portal 2 is a full-on game with plot and great voice-acting, and lots of great puzzles and fun stuff.

I highly recommend the two "Portal" games to any gamer just getting started.

by Anonymousreply 1412/31/2012

I just became a gaymer last year and I'm quite happy with my choice, but beware: when you find a good game it's likely to suck up a lot of time, and once you finish one good game, you're likely to want to find another...and another. My book reading has suffered considerably.

[quote]Fallout 3: Same vein as Skyrim, only in a post-apocalyptic wasteland... very well done, with some clever humor and some true horror

I'll second that. I just finished Fallout 3 last week and it's as good as Skyrim if not better. I'd highly recommend the two Batman games: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and also Dishonored, where you're a supernatural assassin.

If you get a PS3 you can play the very entertaining God of War games too. I have a PS3 and I'm very happy with it, but if I had an X-Box 360 I'm sure I'd be happy with that. I don't know why some people have such an emotional attachment to one over the other.

by Anonymousreply 1512/31/2012

Both Skyrim and Fallout 3 are far better on Xbox 360 ... PS3 hasn't gotten any expansion packs for Skyrim yet, while Xbox 360 has gotten three so far, and more promised.

by Anonymousreply 1612/31/2012

I am terrible at combat (especially shooters) but I enjoy RPG, quests, puzzles, analysis, experimentation, crafting, exploring, etc.

I don't really like sports games either. I'm just no good at the reflex/twitch time-driven aspects of games.

That unfortunately seems to rule out about 85% of games, and I haven't played much since I was quite a bit younger.

I gave Skyrim a chance and really enjoyed it because of the adjustable difficulty level.

Is Fallout 3 similar in that respect?

Any suggestions on other games I might like?

I liked Grand Theft Auto IV pretty well until I got stuck at quests I couldn't complete.

by Anonymousreply 1712/31/2012

R17, Fallout 3 is built by the same people using the same game engine. The UI is a bit different, but there are very strong similarities. If you like one, you'll like the other.

And try Portal & Portal 2... they're not only fun (and hilarious), but they can help you become more adept at the controls without tons of pressure like being attacked by zombies.

by Anonymousreply 1812/31/2012

Oh, yes, forgot about the Portal games. I really liked those.

Thanks. I will give Fallout 3 a shot.

by Anonymousreply 1912/31/2012

Little Big Planet.

by Anonymousreply 2001/01/2013

I'm still hip deep into Borderlands 2 (what a great game, with such a twisted sense of humor)

But next, I'll be playing FarCry 3

by Anonymousreply 2101/22/2013

... or maybe I'll do the Skyrim DLC "Dragonborn" next. I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

by Anonymousreply 2201/22/2013

I finally finished Borderlands 2 tonight.

What an absolutely EPIC game. It's probably the best game I've ever played.

by Anonymousreply 2302/11/2013

Mafia 2

by Anonymousreply 2402/11/2013

Don't bother with Farcry 3. Some of the gameplay is fun, but it is literally one of the worst written games in years. The writing is like a spoof/parody of that tye of game only they're not in on the joke.

by Anonymousreply 2502/11/2013

I really want to be a gaymer but I just can't stop watching TV. So I only play games on my iPhone or DS. I'd rather have the TV on in the background.

by Anonymousreply 2602/11/2013

Gayming is way more fun than idly watching TV.

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2013

No, it isn't. I have so much I have to catch up on on my DVR before it deletes automatically.

by Anonymousreply 2802/11/2013

Start playing Skyrim on Xbox or PC, and you'll stop caring about the crap on the DVR

by Anonymousreply 2902/11/2013

Anyone playing "Far Cry 3"?

I loved Far Cry 2... Far Cry 3 is pretty different, but still seems to be quite engrossing.

by Anonymousreply 3002/19/2013

Far Cry 3: It's no Skyrim, but it's fun.

by Anonymousreply 3102/19/2013

Also enjoy Skyrim. Playing Silent Hills:Downpour. Very creepy and involving. Favorite XBox game Condemned. Only game that made me yell a few times out loud because I was so frightened.

by Anonymousreply 3202/19/2013

New PS4 announced yesterday.

And honestly, it sounded like they were describing a next-gen XBox... they're abandoning their Cell processor, and producing something that's basically a PC, just like XBox is.

Can't wait to hear what the real next-gen XBox is going to be like... I understand that reveal is coming next month.

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2013

Buy all the console systems and handhelds AND upgrade your PC. Then buy every game that is console exclusive and play everything else on each console or PC as you see fit.

A true gamer doesn't discriminate.

by Anonymousreply 3402/21/2013

Gaymering is actually a good to meet other gay people. They're usually not into the stereotypical bar scene. They're more nerdy.

by Anonymousreply 3502/21/2013

Any gaymers in Dallas?

by Anonymousreply 3602/21/2013

I love adventure games like Baldur's Gate. Just bought the enhanced edition and it's kind of lame with the chapter and location intro animations being replaced by some silly still images. They added a few new characters (like Dorn Il-Khan who left my group when its reputation became too good for his liking).

Personally I am avoiding these online games out of fear of becoming too addicted to them by spending all my time playing online.

by Anonymousreply 3702/21/2013

Becoming a gamer is basically becoming a loser, isn't it? Who would want to choose that lifestyle?

by Anonymousreply 3802/21/2013

R38 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 3902/22/2013

I often loose control of my bowls when I gayme. Nerves I guess. Now I usually wear an adult diaper accept when I forget. Than its a bad mess but mom is use to it now. Sometimes she plays with me.

by Anonymousreply 4002/22/2013

Far Cry 3 is really fun.

by Anonymousreply 4102/22/2013

[quote]Becoming a gamer is basically becoming a loser, isn't it? Who would want to choose that lifestyle?

I've never understood this ignorant stereotype. How is it okay to sit and idly watch hours of television daily (as most Americans do), but if you play INTERACTIVE games that actually challenge the brain and provide interaction with other human beings on said television, you're a loser. Yea...that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 4202/22/2013

Both are kind of pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 4302/22/2013

So I'm assuming you don't own a television then, R43?

by Anonymousreply 4402/22/2013

The "video games are for children/losers" people are every bit as tedious as those "I don't even OWN a television!" people. Ugh. Total bores.

by Anonymousreply 4502/22/2013

I just got eaten by a tiger in FarCry3

by Anonymousreply 4602/24/2013

If you like racing games, Burnout Paradise has provided me with countless hours of fun. Best $12 I've ever spent!

by Anonymousreply 4702/24/2013

Borderlands + Borderlands 2 is one of the greatest games ever.

FarCry2 and FarCry3 are excellent.

Skyrim is awesome. As is Fallout3.

I have hundreds of hours invested in EACH of these games.

by Anonymousreply 4802/24/2013

Is Skyrim only for Xbox? I can't find much PS3 info on it.

by Anonymousreply 4902/24/2013

are there any cute gaymers? I like to play games and I want to meet an attractive guy that also plays games. There are tons of attractive straight guys into console/pc games but are there any decent looking gaymers & where the hell am I going to meet them.

by Anonymousreply 5002/24/2013

R49, PS3 kinda sucks. And while Fallout3 and Skyrim are both available on PS3, they're super buggy there, and the DLCs aren't available.

XBox360 is the preferred gaming platform, followed by Windows PCs.

by Anonymousreply 5102/24/2013

How come no one's yet mentioned BioWare games? They are some of the best written games if you're into story and character driven games. Nt to mention that you can roleplay as a gay/lesbian in some games where same sex relationships are available. But the focus is on the story and the characters.

Dragon Age: Origins is a recent classic. Its sequel is a bit meh but the characters are great and a lot of fun.

Mass Effect trilogy is fantastically written and has good action and some of the best moments in gaming.

If you're looking for something a bit older try Star Wars: Knights of the Old Repulic and its sequel which was developed by Obsidian instead of BioWare.

Basically, if you like stories, emotional moments, great narrative, RPGs, etc. try some of these. They'll suck you in.

by Anonymousreply 5202/24/2013

I've tried them, R52... I never liked them much. It's the game-play mechanics. Mass Effect in particular was really frustrating to me... no quest markers, I got constantly lost...

A friend of mine loves the series, and tried to get me into it, and I paid for the games, and I tried... I just couldn't ever get into them.

by Anonymousreply 5302/24/2013

ia R52, Bioware has some of the best games on the market right now, in terms of gameplay and in terms of immersive storytelling.

I found myself actually crying during Mass Effect 3. The characters are fleshed out so well, and the storytelling is so solid that you can't help but care deeply for those characters.

And jfc, the world-building. I don't think I have ever seen that type of world-building in games. It is so expansive and richly detailed. If you can't tell I frakking love that game.

I hope the rumours are true that the Bioware team is looking to set another game within that universe.

by Anonymousreply 5402/24/2013

R53 I know, mass effect has bad mechanics but the story is amazing. Mass effect 2 and 3 are more linear and you won't get lost in them. But if you've ever played open world games like Skyrim, BioWare games should be easy as pie. I for one could never get into either Oblivion and Skyrim which is a shame since they're some of the best games ever.

R54 yes, they are developing another game in the mass effect universe but it's being done by a different team and not the original BioWare team from years ago. Hopefully it'll be good anyway. I'm looking forward o the next Dragon Age game actually :)

by Anonymousreply 5502/24/2013

[quote]But if you've ever played open world games like Skyrim, BioWare games should be easy as pie.

I assure you that's NOT the case. Skyrim has quest markers that help you know where to go. Mass Effect utterly lacked those. And the minimap was near useless.

Skyrim was awesome and immersive. Mass Effect utterly left me cold. I have no doubt the story and world-building are top-notch, but it was too much effort and frustration to try to get there, so I bailed after a dozen hours or so. It didn't grip me, didn't engage me, didn't hook me.

Skyrim hooked me from the first hour.

Dragon Age was better, but again it never really hooked me. I played along for a while, but it started feeling like an obligation rather than an obsession. I bailed before the end.

Meanwhile, SkyRim/Fallout3/Borderlands1&2 became things I looked forward to playing. FarCry2/3 as well. I thought about them, I wanted to see what came next... they were amazing.

It's not always all about story. Borderlands 1 has a pretty weak story (Borderlands 2 has a very good story though)... but the game-plays was fun and exiting, and the game itself was just hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 5602/24/2013

Shows now different people perceive stuff :) I was absolutely lost with Skyrim and Oblivion from a few years back. Meanwhile, every BioWare game felt familiar to me lol and I knew what I had to do. There not much need for plot markers because it is not open world and everything you need you'd find on your way.

Now, for something more of mindless fun and action I'd recommend the latest Devil May Cry. It's called DMC, basically a reboot of the original series. While it got its fair share of backlash I enjoyed it immensely because I had only ever played Devil MayCry 4 which was good as well. But I found DMC to be superior with great graphics (I played it on PC), good scion and epic story sequences.

by Anonymousreply 5702/24/2013

[quote]There not much need for plot markers because it is not open world and everything you need you'd find on your way.

That's just false. Even the friend I have who loved Mass Effect hated the lack of quest markers.

I gave up playing when I spent two hours trying to find the next place I was supposed to go on that godawful confusing space-station that they put right near the beginning of the game. I wasted two hours of my life trying to find the next place to go to in order to meet up with the next person I was supposed to talk to. I could not find it. I searched and searched. I finally gave up in frustration and the game sits unplayed from that point.

Putting a complex, confusing maze of a space station like that right at the beginning, and providing ZERO support in terms of maps or quest markers, was just really bad horrible awful game design.

I don't care how good the story, world, and characters are if the game design and playability are that bad.

Meanwhile I have no idea how you can get lost in Skyrim (I got lost in Oblivion so I understand that... they fixed those issues in Skyrim). The quest markers and maps are so clear...

by Anonymousreply 5802/24/2013

As I said we perceive things differently. I think you're talking about the Citadel in ME1 right? Yes, it's a big place but in 30 minutes or even less the place should be familiar enough. In Skyrim I got through the short prologue and then I'm left to walk through various paths. There was a cave somewhere and then a village by a river. It didnt mean anything to me, that's how I got co fused :/ No wonder there are so many games lol, they need to cater to everyone.

Have you tried DMC as I said in my previous post? That's a fun game, very linear of course given that it's no RPG.

by Anonymousreply 5902/24/2013

And for all those that don't know,

Mass Effect (and Bioware games in general, such as Dragon Age 2) offer you the option of choosing same-sex pairings in the relationship options. As in you can romance someone of the same sex.

You can do it in Dragon Age 2. And Mass Effect 2 (as a G/G pairing), and in Mass Effect 3 for both same-sex options.

It's incredible and they got a lot of shit for it, but they did it anyway and will continue to do it in future.

R55, thanks for the info, i'm looking forward to it too, and Dragon Age 3 :)

by Anonymousreply 6002/24/2013

DLC is finally out for the PS3 version of Skyrim. I've downloaded it but won't get a chance to explore until next week...

by Anonymousreply 6102/24/2013

Anyone else playing FarCry 3?

by Anonymousreply 6202/28/2013

Who's going to GaymerConnect in San Francisco this August?

by Anonymousreply 6303/01/2013

Mass Effect trilogy is pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 6403/01/2013

There's a good documentary on Netflix streaming right now called "Indie Game"...I watched it last night and would highly recommend it!

by Anonymousreply 6503/01/2013

Anyone excited about the "SimCity" release next week?

It'll be the first time I've bought a PC game since the horribly disappointing Diablo III...

by Anonymousreply 6603/01/2013

SimCity look cool, but I'm wary of the always-online DRM

by Anonymousreply 6703/01/2013

I'm DYING for Sim City. It's the only game I've ever really played, and have been waiting for years. Sim City 4 doesn't work on Windows 7/8, so it's been a good 5 years since I've played.

My partner did the most recent beta (with everything unlocked), and while it is different than previous SCs, he said that is it WAY more difficult. That was the big complaint with Sim City Societies - it was dumbed down and too easy.

by Anonymousreply 6803/01/2013

So the initial reviews coming out about the new SimCity aren't that good. They're saying its very buggy, very limited, and the lack of being able to save/reload combined with always online play is off-putting.

I may not pick this up at first.

by Anonymousreply 6903/04/2013

I first read the heading to your post that you wanted to be gayer, OP. And I thought to myself that that was just not possible.

by Anonymousreply 7003/04/2013

Far Cry 3 is horribly addictive.

by Anonymousreply 7103/04/2013

So, the SimCity launch was an even bigger disaster than I predicted it would be.

by Anonymousreply 7203/07/2013

R72, I'm so pissed at that whole debacle. I really wanted to play, but knew it was going to be a pain in the ass, so didn't bother buying SimCity. EA is truly evil.

Anyway, thought I'd do something old school and play Civilization II his month; been trying to get it to run on Windows 7 but it just won't work. Civ 2's my all time favorite game.

by Anonymousreply 7303/07/2013

There's something called "XP Mode" for Windows 7 which I believe is still a free download. It basically boots Windows XP into a virtual machine on Windows 7, so you can run apps that don't work.

Also make sure you examine the properties for the short-cut for starting the game, and have set it's compatibility mode to "XP" on the compatibility tab.

by Anonymousreply 7403/07/2013

How did Maxis get mixed up with those greedy bastards at EA in the first place? I'm afraid when they give up on Sims 3 and move on to Sims 4 that EA will want to work always online into it as well, if they aren't already planning it for 3.

by Anonymousreply 7503/07/2013

They have got to stop with the always on internet connection bs.

by Anonymousreply 7603/07/2013

Indeed, R76. That same "feature" utterly ruined Diablo III too.

by Anonymousreply 7703/08/2013

I would only play the first Mass Effect game and forget the rest

by Anonymousreply 7803/08/2013

Wow, now EA is suspending all marketing for the "SimCity". That's a serious fucked up launch, when you have to suspend advertising. Amazon.com already suspended all sales of digital downloads of the game yesterday because of the volume of complaints.

Talk about a disasterous roll-out. And I thought Diablo III's roll-out was bad.

by Anonymousreply 7903/08/2013

Did y'all see Wreck-It Ralph? It was cute.

by Anonymousreply 8003/13/2013

R78 the first Mass Effect game is my favourite too since it is the most RPG of all the games. But I still like 2 and 3.

but doesn't compare to Fallout 1, 2, 3.

by Anonymousreply 8103/13/2013

Nazi Zombies is the best game ever

Skyrim is great

I hated New Vegas

Borderlands is fun

Aliens Colonial Marines seems good but inhabit played much. One thing about it. You can be an alien and attack other humans on line. No weapons just your alien body!

by Anonymousreply 8203/13/2013

I really hated Assassin's Creed. I hate "cut-scene" games, and I hated the controls.

by Anonymousreply 8303/18/2013

Does anyone know when Sim City will be out on mac?

by Anonymousreply 8403/19/2013

So who is interested in playing "Bioshock Ultimate"? It's been getting some amazingly good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 8503/26/2013

Anyone know when SimCity will actually be functional on a PC?

by Anonymousreply 8603/26/2013

I've been dying for the new Bioshock, but I've also been dying for the new Tomb Raider, which is also getting amazing reviews.

I only have money for 1 right now and I don't fucking know what to choose.

by Anonymousreply 8703/26/2013

The new Tomb Raider is a-mah-zing.

by Anonymousreply 8803/26/2013

New FarCry3-based game that looks like a hilarious homage to the 80s and early 90s video gaming culture ... could be fun

by Anonymousreply 8904/16/2013

Anyone playing "Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon"?

It's freakin HILARIOUS. Done in a very 80's style... with Michael Beihn ("Aliens", "The Abyss") doing the voices.

It helps if you've played Far Cry 3 before (same engine and controls and stuff), but not required (the 'tutorial' levels are among the most hilarious things in the game).

by Anonymousreply 9005/04/2013

I just tried EVE Online. Talk about teh suckage.

by Anonymousreply 9105/04/2013

Just finished the spoof game, "Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon"

It was fucking HILARIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 9205/09/2013

If you're into zombies, I recommend Dead Island...

by Anonymousreply 9305/09/2013

For camp over-the-top action, violence and weirdness (the way only the japanese can do), try Bayonetta (lots of quicktime events though). Love God of War III. Love Dante's Inferno. Love Bioshock Infinite. Love Diablo3 (never understood the always-on complaints because I'm always online anyway). Dark Souls isn't for the faint-hearted but richly rewards those who persevere. For casual gaming, the dark and funny Binding of Isaac still keeps me playing. The most affecting game I've played recently was Journey on PS3 - absolute magic and melancholy - it's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 9405/09/2013

For a change of pace, anyone interested in gaming should check out the old skool browser-based Kingdom of Loathing.

The writing is absolutely briliant. I find myself LOLing literally every single time I play.

by Anonymousreply 9505/10/2013

For the few last weeks I've been playing the Mass Effect trilogy. Finished the Mass Effect 3 today and I'm just completely shattered emotionally. I'm sad, I feel like I have to cry but can't get it out.

I didn't really know that gay relationships were possible in the Mass Effects until I stumbled upon the news when already playing Mass Effect 3. At first I tried to woo the pilot Cortez but then, after having played the game for something like 20 hours, I found out from the net that Shepard could have a romance with Kaidan Alenko, and I nearly fell from the chair. I had stupidly killed off Kaidan in the ME1 because even though I felt there was great chemistry between them I thought nothing gay would happen. And I had bought the ME2 already and thought it was Ashley in the cover so I thought killing Ashley would have bad consequences. I guess from now on I will always read something about a game before starting playing it.

So, even though I had imported the careers from the ME1 & ME2 I now had to ditch all that and start ME3 anew as a completely baby Shepard, just to have a romance with Kaidan. (I was not crazy enough to go back to ME1 to kill off Ashley instead, and then play ME2 through again.) Well, I guess it was worth it, because I loved them both.

I'm not gonna lie, I got a hard-on when Kaidan told Shepard about his feelings towards him at the Citadel cafe. I was nervous but so happy when they kissed publicly in front of other soldiers before the final battle. Unfortunately due to my playing tactic I missed their truly final kiss before Shepard leaves the last time, but thankfully I found the video on Youtube. And partly because of me starting completely afresh I ended up having a shitty ending, and that's why I'm in shambles right now.

It feels pretty stupid how much these characters end up meaning to you, but I guess that happens when you spend dozens of hours interacting with them.

by Anonymousreply 9611/09/2013

Here's the final scene (at least in some game play variations) between Shepard and Kaidan from the Extended Cut. I already deleted the game from my PS3, but I keep the memory alive for a few days with these youtube videos...

And Mass Effect 4 is currently in development, although apparently Shepard will not be part of it. There's not much info out yet, though.

As a character the gay Shepard is someone I want to be and someone I want to love, although I guess I'm more like Kaidan. Unfortunately only from the inside, though ;)

Farewell, my loves. I already miss you, and maybe I'll dream of you tonight.

by Anonymousreply 9711/09/2013

The new Walking Dead season (episode 1) is out NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9812/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.