Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I get very insulted whenever someone ASSumes I believe in the bible.

To me that's the same as calling me stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2512/30/2012

Are the Talmud, Torah and Q'uran your choice?

by Anonymousreply 112/30/2012

You're stupid.

by Anonymousreply 212/30/2012

Depends what you mean by 'believe' and of course the Bible is made up of very disparate parts and thereby very very different.

It's a bit more complicated than your statement assumes.

I could not answer that statement with a yes or a no.

by Anonymousreply 312/30/2012

I believe the bible is a book that was written and published.

by Anonymousreply 412/30/2012

I believe in the fact that The Holy Bible makes excellent kindling! Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2012

R2 is retarded, and Charlie is having a psychotic breakdown. The Bible is trash, and I have to agree with OP - it's even worse when they assume you are dumb because you can't list the individual chapters or sections of that tripe.

by Anonymousreply 612/30/2012

Me thinking you're stupid has nothing to do with what you believe in. It's that you could get so insulted by what anyone thinks of you. Why? Someone insults me I just say thanks for the honesty and continue with my life.

by Anonymousreply 812/30/2012

I do partially agree with the OPs point, it annoys me when people assume other people must be a christian. I remember just recently being at a crowded take out place that was understaffed and while some customers were being rude me and another lady were not. She turns and says it is because we are good christians.

Uh no, most certainly not, I just know how to act like a polite grown up.

by Anonymousreply 912/30/2012

I get insulted when people ASS-fuck me by surprise!

by Anonymousreply 1012/30/2012

I was in a meeting once where one of the VPs was going over what he did over the weekend. He mentioned that he read "The Book". I had no idea what he was talking about and wanted to ask him which book specifically he read. I let it go. It didn't dawn on me for a few minutes what he was talking about.

It grates on me too, OP. Not for the same reasons, but it shows that some people are so self-centered they think everyone else share their beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012

I used to work with a tiresome woman who mentioned "The Book" once. I asked interestedly "oh, what book?", she glared at me condescendingly and said "the ONLY book you need to read". I dismissed her right there as a weirdo and not worth having any further contact with. She was fired a few months later for proselytizing and trying to read scripture to people in the break room.

by Anonymousreply 1212/30/2012

When they say the only book you need to read I reply...

Gone with the wind?

by Anonymousreply 1312/30/2012

Wow, where did some of these religioids come from? The DL is an atheist / agnostic board.

by Anonymousreply 1512/30/2012

I understand OP's point. It goes along with the assumption that everyone believes in God (yes, I capitalize -- after all, I capitalize Santa Claus). And there are people who think that a lack of belief is akin to unenlightened ignorance. They're usually the types who come up to individuals in grocery stores late at night to proselytize or do this type of "missionary" work. They're aghast that there are perfectly happy, intelligent, and productive atheists and agnostics in the world and get really pushed out of shape when the evidence is standing right before their eyes. In fact, they insist you're not content because Jesus is missing from your life. It's happened more than once to me.

Some just can't fathom the idea of existing without a belief. I used to teach ESL years ago in Chicago. I had a student from the Philippines who also attended the Moody Bible Institute. She clearly liked me and to make conversation in the cafeteria line at lunch one afternoon, she asked which church I attended. I very casually said "Oh, I don't go to church." Not, "I don't believe," mind you. She looked stunned, like I'd slapped her in the face.

I could see that I had said something that fundamentally altered her understanding of me somehow. Exactly how, I wasn't sure because she recovered from her shock and was polite. But for a while... What was she thinking? Here I was a respected and educated authority figure, I was welcoming to students, entertaining and funny (or at least I tried because it kept them engaged), polite, etc. I could tell that students were responsive. Yet, what did I suddenly become to her? An ignoramus heathen? Subhuman?

And, yes, there are old-time church folks from all different religions who think that our ability to believe in "God" distinguishes us from beasts and animals. Something subhuman because only "God" gives dignity or some such. I've heard this myself from a religious relative. Really? I thought it was having consciousness and a capacity for self-reflection.

by Anonymousreply 1612/30/2012

I have a belief--I believe that I rose up out of the earth for a short blip in time, and before long I'll go right back to where I came from--and I'll remain there for the rest of eternity. To delude myself with any other fairytale fantasies would be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1712/30/2012

Took a car ride with my mother and two nephews the other day. They're at that age where they're asking a lot of questions about death. The one was afraid that the world was going to blow up and he was going to end up in the ground being eaten by bugs (he hates bugs). My mom proceeded to start telling them that they don't have to get eaten by bugs, and that there's this place called heaven that they can go to but ONLY if they believe in Jesus. It took all the strength in my body to sit there and listen to this BULLSHIT she was feeding them. The one kid was noticeably calmer after she told him about heaven and even said something like, "I think I'm going to like heaven" so I guess it served its purpose! To ease one's fear of death. I wanted so badly to tell her to stop fucking brainwashing those kids with her cultish lies, but I bit my tongue and just shook my head a few times. I'm embarrassed to be related to someone so feeble-minded. It's one thing to delude yourself, it's quite another to try and recruit little kids into your cult before they even have a chance to think for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1812/30/2012

You probably look like you need something, OP. And many ignorant people are not familiar with how to suggest psychiatric help, so they fall back on the Bible.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 1912/30/2012

You should try again later, R19. If that was meant to be passive-aggressive, the set-up definitely failed.

by Anonymousreply 2012/30/2012

Did someone say Precious Moments figurine?

by Anonymousreply 2212/30/2012

Bring up Christianity and I will politely tell you that not everyone is Christian. Push it and I can go fucking insane.Christians are the scourge of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 2312/30/2012

R23, what kind of things do you say when people push the issue? I'm usually polite and change the subject on things polite people don't discuss in public, but I'm thinking about changing my ways.

by Anonymousreply 2412/30/2012

To go around proclaiming, "I'm religious!" is to go around proclaiming, "I'm a fucking imbecile!" Why advertise it? Keep your mental illness on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 2512/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.