Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What do you consider a good age to live to?

For example, in my family there is longevity on both sides and almost everyone lives to be 90. (My 2 grandmothers are still alive and are 92 & 93 respectively.) Therefore in my family, if you die before age 90, we consider that an early death.

By contrast, in other families just getting to 70 or 75 is considered an accomplishment.

The average life expectancy today appears to be around 80 in the Western countries, give or take a few years.

What do you consider a good age? What number makes you think a person has lived a long life, and what number makes you think someone died too young?

by Anonymousreply 4101/02/2013

People live long in my family too, but I wish I was dead today and I'm only 40. For other people, I think if you live to about 75 you've lived a full life. That doesn't mean most people are ready to go then. I think many of the elderly are happy to still be alive.

by Anonymousreply 112/30/2012

And I'd say anywhere up to about 63 is kinda young to die these days.

by Anonymousreply 212/30/2012

People in my family don't mellow out until they hit 80. They turn into pissy bigots at retirement.

I'd say 65 or 87.

by Anonymousreply 312/30/2012

I personally don't see any point in living much beyond 80 - by then the body starts to fail and the mind may be going too, what is the point of getting frailer and enduring pain and being dependent on others?

My father made 81 - but was ill his last 2 years, and my mother 79 - her mind was going for the last year or two, so I suppose I could well hit the 80 mark ....

Some people can go on till their 90s but is there really any point ?

I think one is very lucky to be still hale and hearty by one's mid 80s. I know of a woman who is 88 (mother in law of a woman I worked with) and totally bed-ridden and dependent on carers - what kind of life is that to endure ?

by Anonymousreply 412/30/2012

My mom just turned 83 and she beats me out the door, yes I'm THAT kind of 'Mo, to work at 3:00AM.

She's feisty, she revels in being told she doesn't look or act her age and she is incredibly pro gay. Adore her!

Ninety will only be a beginning for her.

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2012

My father lived to 91, and he was still living in his own home, driving his own car, and taking care of himself without assistance. He died suddenly because of a coronary thrombosis. Last week the same thing happened to a friend of mine at the age of 55. Obviously I consider 91 to be a better age, but that seems to be the easiest way to go that I know about.

by Anonymousreply 612/30/2012

The previous generation of my family lived into their 80s, but that involved access to excellent health care and a decent middle-class standard of living. If I should lose my current job, or if they slash my Medicare and Social Security benefits, It's quite possible I won't last out my 50s, since I have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and cancer in my family history and none of those fall into the "just go to the emergency room" category.

by Anonymousreply 712/30/2012

41, alone... I'd day 42 or 43 at most.

by Anonymousreply 812/30/2012

My dad's parents dies fairly young, in their early 60's. My mom's parents lived a bit longer, her mother into her 70's and her dad until 82.

I consider dying in one's early 80's to be a good, long life, but it all depends on the health of the person. If someone is ill or infirm, best to die quickly at a younger age. If someone is relatively healthy with all their faculties intact, why not live to 100 or more?

I'm trying not to be afraid of death, and think of it as a well-deserved rest, but the older I get, the more difficult it gets to think of death as that kindly friend.

by Anonymousreply 912/30/2012

my father died very suddenly at 81 after having spent a few wonderful years watching his grandkids grew into fine young boys.

that seemed a nice lifespan

by Anonymousreply 1012/30/2012

If one is active and reasonably healthy age doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012

I agree R8..36 here and 40 will be quite enough for me if it continues like this..

by Anonymousreply 1212/30/2012

It's not an age, it's a stage. Live as long as you're mostly able to take care of yourself (food, bathing, elimination) and as long as you can enjoy being alive, even if it's just having a cup of tea and reading a good book.

Then, it's time for your favorite music on the hi-fi and a handful of Seconal with a strong anti-emetic.

Whatever age that may be.

by Anonymousreply 1312/30/2012

I think once you're in your 80s, you lived a "full life."

by Anonymousreply 1412/30/2012

55. I'm already bored with this tedious life. I'm past my breeding age. Gravity is taking its toll on the looks. Aches and pains of age already creeping up. To live to 90 or 80 would be a living nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 1512/30/2012

83 here. Another 10 years would be great. I feel great, I've got MOST of my marbles and life is good.

But if I am starting to like Paltrow or think Mitch McConnell looks sexy, shove me in front of that bus..... STAT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1612/30/2012

I'm 52 and thinking about 70, based on family history. None of the men in my family made it to 70. Could be wrong but somehow comforting to be able to plan for the next 18 years. If I live to 90 I'll be pissed!

by Anonymousreply 1712/30/2012

Yay for R16

62 here and I hope to live to your age and beyond. My aunt is 86, lives alone, is vital and takes no medications. She has a great attitude and I hope I can make it to her age.

I want to live as long as I can, hopefully without massive health problems. Whatever, the alternative isn't very appealing.

by Anonymousreply 1812/30/2012

I'm okay with living as long as my 95 year old grandmother as long as I am able to take care of myself. I'd rather be dead than live in a nursing home. People on my mother's side of the family, who generally live to be 70 - 80, have a way of checking out just as they're losing their faculties. Only one of my aunts spent a few months in a nursing home and I don't want to wind up there.

by Anonymousreply 1912/30/2012

In my family the females live to 100 and the men die tragically and early. Alpha Females and Beta Males, every single one.

by Anonymousreply 2012/30/2012

75 if weakened and fragile. 90 if hearty.

by Anonymousreply 2112/30/2012

I hear you, R20. There might be one dying right now.

by Anonymousreply 2212/30/2012

My family is a very mixed lot. My mother chained smoked to 82. He mother died in her 50s of a stroke. Her father made it to 76 and died of a heart attack. My father had a heart attack at 65. His father died at 69. His mother died at 87.

I'm fine with whatever I get. I just want to go quick when it happens.

by Anonymousreply 2312/31/2012

I used to think 80 was very old, but now that I'm almost 40, 80 doesn't seem as old to me as it once did. I wouldn't mind living into my 90's as long as I could be independent and in good health, like Betty White.

by Anonymousreply 2412/31/2012

[quote]83 here.

Wow. Had no idea we had posters that old here.

Are you the one that used to post under the name Old Fart?

by Anonymousreply 2612/31/2012

One year older than OP.

by Anonymousreply 2701/01/2013

Under 60 is too young.

My parents are into their 80s, and while they have many aches and pains, they are still engaged in the world and vital to each other, and their kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids.

I don't have any of that, so at age 57, I could see myself checking out in 10 to 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 2801/01/2013

[quote]Because he gave everyone, on the side he was standing, AIDS already.

At least be articulate and funny if you are going to be a Nazi cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2901/01/2013

Quality of life, not quantity of life. As long as i'm sufficiently aware and can wipe my own ass....

I fear, with no children, a nursing home most of all.

by Anonymousreply 3001/01/2013

[r30]: many people with children end up in nursing homes.

by Anonymousreply 3101/01/2013

Scientists believe that the first human being who'll live to 150 has already been born.

I believe I am that person.

by Anonymousreply 3201/01/2013

Yep,83. (Or on the soft side of 84..... No one REALLY needs to remember these things, frankly)

Since it is NY Day, here's a few things to ponder.

KEEP MOVING! Don't sit in front of the idiot box TV all day. Swim, walk, tennis, surf. You can relax when you're dead.

FIGHT INJUSTICE! Whether its a big cause or a small kine cause, don't let it pass without a fight. Go door to door during elections because folks won't blow you off if you're polite and old. Make a difference. Don't let the ones that come after us suffer like most of us did.

Accept invitations from the young-ins from time to time to hang out over drinks or at the clubs. It is good for you to socialize with the new generation and good for them too. youll have a blast too. BUT keep it at 2 drinks max and then get the hell out of there. Be considerate. No one wants gramps with them at last call.

Know who Justin (Bieber, NOT Timberlake), Lindsay, Kanye, Usher, Chace, Blake, Ryan, Meloni etc is. NO ONE IS INTERESTED in the Joan vs Bette feud anymore. A little superficial knowledge is good for you. And fun.

Finally, be kind to one another. Be kind to a stranger. Go out of your way for someone from time to time. What's it cost you?

A few more but Mike Lovell is chatting live on Bel Ami in 10 minutes so gotta motor. Peace to all in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 3301/01/2013

R30, The meth pandemic, along with alcoholism, here in rural Arkansas means that many people my age have already buried their children.

I have lived my life alone, and do not have any children, but at least I haven't had to bail anyone out of trouble over and over again. I should have the assets to live comfortably in my own home, with the assistance of home health care workers, provided that nobody steals all of my savings when I become debilitated. I don't know of any person who I can trust to see that I get the care that I am likely to need, while not stealing my savings.

by Anonymousreply 3401/01/2013

27. Obviously.

by Anonymousreply 3501/01/2013

Departing in your early thirties, when you are still relatively young and pretty, can leave a strong impression.

by Anonymousreply 3601/01/2013

Eighty is the proper age to die.

by Anonymousreply 3701/01/2013

R16, do all your friends tell you that you don't look a day over 63? Especially when you wear your Abercrombie fitted tee?

Seriously, I love you, wish you well, and can only hope I've got my wits about me when I approach your age.

by Anonymousreply 3801/01/2013

My mother just turned 80. She can't walk very well and has very poor eyesight. She has the flu now, I just hope she can recover without any add'l damage. She can't live without an aide.

I hope I'll go at 65.

by Anonymousreply 3901/01/2013

What is it about these posts that sounds very Jewish to me? Jews seem to relish life and to wring the most out of the good and bad. Even if they complain all the way.

by Anonymousreply 4001/01/2013

The Irish, with the morbid bent, accept aging rather well and with grace. Because so many Irish parents traditionally married late and had large-ish families, many of us may not have know grandparents, great-aunts, and in maturity, lose our own parents and siblings. It's a tough lesson but it does heighten the awareness of our own mortality, which can be liberating, in a way.

I don't particularly love the idea of living to 95 if all my family is gone.

by Anonymousreply 4101/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.