Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you avoid entertainment productions which star or co-star any Republican celebrities?

If "yes," which ones?

by Anonymousreply 2012/30/2012

Does Mel Gibson count? I don't avoid his stuff because he is (may be?) a Republican, but because he's an asshole.

I watch "The Middle" and Kelsey Grammer's stuff, so I guess my answer would be "no."

by Anonymousreply 112/30/2012

No. I can separate the man/woman from their art.

by Anonymousreply 212/30/2012

There's this song Ted Nugent did with The Amboy Dukes in the 60's that I really love and I still listen to it even though I despise him, I can't help it. I can't watch Clint Eastwood's movies anymore but I still watch Midnight Cowboy in spite of Jon Voight and Signs in spite of Mel Gibson (hate them both now). Generally if I know someone's a Republican I'm done with them though.

by Anonymousreply 312/30/2012

Mel Gibson. I once loved his work. No more. He's just a bigoted kook. I threw away the DVDs I had of his and will never see another movie he is in. Detestable. He is so filled with hatred toward everyone. I would avoid Ted Nugent, but he hasn't done anything worth a shit since 1977 anyway.

by Anonymousreply 412/30/2012

I'm not sure Mel Gibson is a Republican. The last time I read him being interviewed about politics, he mentioned some obscure presidential candidate I'd never heard of.

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2012

I don't know where he stands politically either R5, I just mentioned him because he's such a repulsive asshole and I hate that I'm drawn to that one movie of his.

by Anonymousreply 612/30/2012

No, because that would make me as bad as the idiots on FreeRepublic who avoid an actor's or artists work because if their Democratic leanings.

by Anonymousreply 712/30/2012

Is there a word for someone being beyond obsessive, specifically in regard to politics and perhaps indicating some kind of mental disorder? I want to use that word in response to this thread's question.

by Anonymousreply 812/30/2012

Not usually, unless they are someone that is so blatantly in the public eye about it to the point that it's impossible to ignore. A different example would be Orson Scott Card - plenty of authors might be homophobes, but he's so public about it (not to mention batshit) that it's difficult to ignore. So, yeah, Ender's Game will be an illegal download for me.

by Anonymousreply 912/30/2012

I stopped watching Desperate Housewives when I heard Marc Cherry was a Republican. I would boycott shows or music with other Republicans, but they don't tend to be in shows or movies I'd like anyway.

But I'm not an absolute purist about it. I have watched and enjoyed Frasier, though I have no interest in his post-Frasier work. And I liked Designing Women which featured two Republican cast members. I really don't think that counts though because the show's creators were liberal and the show always defended the liberal viewpoint. It was in fact probably the most liberal sitcom on at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1012/30/2012

All of them, except maybe Clint.

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012

If I do it's only because I was either never a fan or wouldn't have followed their career either way. Reba McIntire (I don't care enough to spell her name correctly) is one such person.

If someone defines themselves by their politics, then certainly I will avoid whatever it is they do, especially if they are the rabid kind of political ideologues like Janine Turner, Patricia Heaton, Kelsey Grammer, Adam Baldwin, and Chuck Norris.

by Anonymousreply 1212/30/2012

It's hard to respect someone who stands with today's Republican party, I'd expect a person like Clint Eastwood to be more enlightened and smart enough to recognize how awful and unhinged they've become. They are a threat to democracy and anyone who'd support them now deserves to be shunned. I really loved Bridges of Madison County and Escape from Alcatraz, but I cannot bring myself to watch them or any of his movies now after his disrespectful and stupid chair stunt at that convention.

by Anonymousreply 1312/30/2012

No. And I saw this as a person whose politics are very left-leaning. I am and always was the exception to the meme that closeted men are right-wingers. However, when it comes to entertainment, I usually don't care what their politics are as long as they are entertaining.

Now, consumer products are another story. Chick-Fil-A, Dominos etc....no. I don't patronize places like that.

by Anonymousreply 1412/30/2012

Clint Eastwood, while a Republican, was never a right-winger. His convention antics were stupid and offensive. He hasn't done anything in a while that I had a desire to see, so I'm not sure about him.

by Anonymousreply 1512/30/2012

R13 I agree. I used to be a big fan of Clint (even knowing he was a Republican), but after that pathetic chair rambling, it's hard to see him as anything but a moron.

I definitely won't be paying to see any of his future work. I mostly just like his old westerns anyway, and I already have those.

by Anonymousreply 1612/30/2012

I think Gibson's problems are alcohol related, who knows what he is really like. I remain stuck with the Mel in Gallipoli

by Anonymousreply 1712/30/2012

Linsday Lohan was part of that kooky group called Tarts for Romney! I will continue to watch Hohan in everything she does from now on. I don't care what anyone else says.

I don't know what Tammy Cruise's politics are but he annoys me as a big time happy dick.

Bruce Willis is a Republican and I don't dislike him because of that. I disrespect the fact that he was fucking Aaron Carter and was on the down low and acts like such a macho fuck.

Tom Selleck is another lowdown Repub queen. Selleck is more of a libertarian really BUT he's in the closet. Has anyone seen him at any one of NYC's gloryholes lately?

Marc Cherry is Republican? A Log Cabiner? He must be for gay marriage or is he one of these civil union queens?

Russell Crowe is one angry fuck. He's a Kiwi with big time anger issues. I can't put my finger on it but he seems like he could be a rube as well.

by Anonymousreply 1812/30/2012

I had the opportunity to attend the opening night of the Dick Cheney Comedy Show at the Michelle Malkin Theater in Topeka, but I came down with a severe case of ennui and didn't go.

by Anonymousreply 1912/30/2012

[quote}Clint Eastwood, while a Republican, was never a right-winger.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 2012/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.