Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dear New Orleans People

I have heard of this local taste treat called Yakkamein, yet everyone from there whom I ask insists they know nothing about it!

by Anonymousreply 4601/03/2013

that wasn't hard

by Anonymousreply 112/30/2012

You probably said it wrong and gave no context...

It is pronounced YAEKA MAINE in Nawlinz.

by Anonymousreply 212/30/2012

Hardly local. I grew up on the stuff and have had it at Chinese restaurants all over the country.

by Anonymousreply 312/30/2012

I was born in NOLA, lived here all my life, never heard of yaka mein until I saw "the yaka mein lady" on Chopped. No one I know has heard of it either.

by Anonymousreply 412/30/2012

I was born in NOLA as well and had it a few times at a place out in Metarie.

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2012

I lived an hour away from New Orleans for 16 years and I never hard of 'Yakamein" till this thread.

My business partners lived in New Orleans and I ate in restaurants all over the city, mostly in places known only to locals, and not once did I encounter this noodle dish.

by Anonymousreply 612/30/2012

I've lived in New Orleans all my life and I don't see how y'all couldn't know about Yatkamein (that's how I've always heard it pronounced) but it is much better known in New Orleans black community.

I don't like it myself, but I've heard of it, know where to get it and have friends that swear by it especially in the whole hangover remedy thing.

by Anonymousreply 712/30/2012

Thanks, folks!

[R4] - you've remind me of the notion that folks in the Boston area (are said to) say "tonic" to mean soda pop. My mom was raised there, and swears she never heard of that, to her "tonic" means tonic water. I've spent a lot of time in the area and never heard anyone use the term either, yet it's reported as a "regionalism" regularly.

by Anonymousreply 812/30/2012

That "tonic" thing was mostly used by New Englanders who grew up in the first Great Depression.

by Anonymousreply 912/30/2012

Perhaps you know it by its Mandarin name, 牛肉麵 niú ròu miàn.

by Anonymousreply 1012/30/2012

Apparently the point OP got from this thread is because Yatkamein is more famous in the black community of New Orleans, it isn't a truly regional dish.

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012

Sounds like Wor Wonton.

by Anonymousreply 1212/30/2012

[R11] I was just surprised I'd not heard of it, not disparaging its "authenticity" at all.

by Anonymousreply 1312/30/2012

Both sides of my family have long roots in NOLA-- ninth ward since the 1800's, uptown, Metairie, Gentilly, Lakeview, etc., and none of them have heard of it either. I googled it after seeing Chopped, as I mentioned earlier, and its creation stemmed from inner city neighborhoods where Asians and African Americans lived closely...there is a much higher percentage of African Americans than Asians in NOLA...that's probably why it is most associated with the black community here.

by Anonymousreply 1412/30/2012

I grew up in Metairie, and I've never heard of this.

by Anonymousreply 1512/30/2012

Those of us from NO, apparently it so happens this is a dish known mainly in the black community.

If you ain't black, then there's good chance you are ignorant about it.

by Anonymousreply 1612/30/2012

They sell it at all the fests. The Chopped lady Miss Linda sells it at Voodoo and Jazz. Capn Sals on St. Claude, Manchu food store on Claiborne. There's some place in Metairie that sells it on Airline. Can't think of the name.

Click on the Pic of Manchu's menu - you can see Yatkamein on the bottom side closest to the camera.

by Anonymousreply 1712/30/2012

How has New Orleans changed since Katrina?

by Anonymousreply 1812/30/2012

It's better in most areas. The Lower Ninth is still full of empty lots where houses once stood. Sandy brought up some bad memories, believe me.

by Anonymousreply 1912/31/2012

Do they use oxtails for the beef in this beef noodle soup?

by Anonymousreply 2012/31/2012

I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 2112/31/2012

The place out in Metarie uses oxtail, but not most.

by Anonymousreply 2212/31/2012

To hell with the noodles -- now I wanna try those chicken wings at Manchu.

by Anonymousreply 2312/31/2012

Pic of the dish.

by Anonymousreply 2412/31/2012

[quote]They sell it at all the fests. The Chopped lady Miss Linda sells it at Voodoo and Jazz. Capn Sals on St. Claude, Manchu food store on Claiborne. There's some place in Metairie that sells it on Airline. Can't think of the name.

You can usually find someone selling it at the second-line parades. And the Rampart Food Store on N. Rampart and St. Anthony just out of the Quarter (the orange building, or "the ernge store") usually has it.

Imagine pho made from what you could find in American supermarkets in the 1950s -- beef broth, spaghetti noodles, chopped meat, green onions and a ton of soy sauce, topped with a bit of hard-boiled egg. Supposedly black World War II soldiers came home from the Pacific theater with a taste for Asian soup, and this was the result.

Very, very salty! Which is probably why it's renowned as a hangover cure.

by Anonymousreply 2512/31/2012

Chefferina Leah Chase weighs in.

by Anonymousreply 2612/31/2012

I love Leah.

by Anonymousreply 2712/31/2012

Speaking of Leah. She's celebrating her 90th birthday today.

by Anonymousreply 2801/02/2013

Also New Orleans people, forgive me, but I just can't get into 'Treme'.

by Anonymousreply 2901/02/2013

I think I will try to make this....

by Anonymousreply 3001/02/2013

it's in the Iko Iko song--

yatkamein fee na nay

by Anonymousreply 3101/03/2013

A recipe for R30.

by Anonymousreply 3201/03/2013

That recipe ain't right. It calls for meat that ain't ground and 1 green onion for 16 portions....2 green onions per bowl more like it.

by Anonymousreply 3301/03/2013

{quote]it's in the Iko Iko song-- yatkamein fee na nay

Not sure if serious...? That lyric is Creole: "chaque amoor fi na né" (from French "*chaque amour fait notre roi né")

by Anonymousreply 3401/03/2013

Ummm ... of course the meat's not ground, this isn't chili!

Bouillon AND salt (AND optional Worcestershire, too) -- my, oh my, Heart Attack City! Agreed that it needs whole lot more than one measly green onion. What's this about adding KETCHUP - blech!

by Anonymousreply 3501/03/2013

Most places in Nawlinz use ground beef in the soup.

by Anonymousreply 3601/03/2013

What a wonderful website, R32.

There's an e-cookbbook, too!

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3701/03/2013

Ground meat has never been used in the Yatkamein I've seen. Here's Emeril's recipe"

by Anonymousreply 3801/03/2013

And another that sounds authentic to me.

by Anonymousreply 3901/03/2013

Wikipedia doesn't say ground beef either.

by Anonymousreply 4001/03/2013

In the black hoods most of us used ground beef. You don't find Mama's version on the internet kids.

by Anonymousreply 4101/03/2013

Hey, while there are New Orleanians around here, could we please let the uninformed know that "coon-ass" is NOT a racist term, and is completely unrelated to the racist term, "coon?" Thanks, y'all!

by Anonymousreply 4201/03/2013

Coon-ass refers to deep-in-the-swamps and far-up-the-bayous Cajuns.

Country Cajuns, I guess you could say.

by Anonymousreply 4301/03/2013

Some feel it used to have to do with that racist term. Others feel it's about the word conasse which is a French put down from the war. This is because the origin of the term is not known.

Most Louisianians feel it had to do with how many raccoons Cajuns tended to eat. In the past it was considered a knock, but now people are having fun with it and embracing it. But there are still people who don't like the term and will get angry if you call them that. Sometimes it depends on who it is calling you a coonass as to whether you'll like it or not.

The biggest thing that has influenced the acceptance of "coonass" is the fact that it makes money. Shirts and trinkets please tourists. Money talks. Coonass pride.

by Anonymousreply 4401/03/2013

Merci!

by Anonymousreply 4501/03/2013

De rien, R41(42).

by Anonymousreply 4601/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.