Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I am so tired of the flimsy plastic bags at stores now

My local high end supermarket used to give out the best plastic bags, now they are these cheap flimsy things. Ridiculous. You have to double bag the plastic bags just so the shit doesn't break the plastic. Urgh!

by Anonymousreply 6701/04/2013

well try one out and make sure it fits your face

by Anonymousreply 112/29/2012

I hate them too

by Anonymousreply 212/29/2012

Why not just get recyclable bags? They cost about a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 312/29/2012

They are phasing them out everywhere so unknot your panties and carry on.

by Anonymousreply 412/30/2012

We're so sorry, Cassie.

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2012

In SF there's a new law that says every store has to charge you 10 cents extra to give you a bag with your purchase. Even the little corner grocery stores. Only the big supermarkets have paper bags any more, and you only get those if you specifically ask for them. And you have to pay for them.

by Anonymousreply 612/30/2012

The reusable bags are much worsefor the environment than good plastic bags. Idiots approved that CA bag ban, abject morons.

by Anonymousreply 712/30/2012

These new bags are designed to decompose quickly so less damaging to environment.

by Anonymousreply 812/30/2012

Yeah it's much better to have to use six of them.

by Anonymousreply 912/30/2012

You forgot your bag?

We don't have any bags.

by Anonymousreply 1012/30/2012

Plastic bags are still available in the produce sections and meat sections of ALL the grocery stores here, even though plastic CARRYING bags have been banned everywhere in the Portland OR metro area. I'm waiting to see somebody come up to the check stand with a handful and ask to have their groceries bagged with those.

And PS: If you use those eco-friendly carrying bags, make sure to wash them regularly because they become germ-festivals after a couple of trips to the store.

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012

I love the reusable bags because they can carry so much more then the plastic ones. But damn, those cashiers act like its a huge exam. They take their time with them... its alien to some of them.

Just put the items in the bag, lady!

by Anonymousreply 1212/30/2012

R11, the Safeway has plastic bags. But they are 15 cents and thicker plastic. I always forget to bring mine and end up buying new. The paper bags are awful b/c they have no handles and I walk home down 10th.

by Anonymousreply 1312/30/2012

A little O/T but still about plastic: Is it just me or is Glad Wrap thinner now? It seems like you used to be able to wrap a plate or bowl and put it in the microwave for several minutes and it would hold up, but for the past few years, it melts and tears after only 2 minutes. And no I haven't gotten a new microwave.

by Anonymousreply 1412/30/2012

I take my reusable bags, I hate the plastic ones

by Anonymousreply 1512/30/2012

If you use the reusable cloth bags you need to wash them often and use a bit of bleach. They have been shown to harbor germs like E. Coli.

by Anonymousreply 1612/30/2012

And the reusable bags are manufactured with streams of toxic chemicals and slave labor and use tons of oil being shipped over from China. Way to save the planet, guys! The good plastic bags got reused for dog shit and other random crap and now people have to buy entire boxes of even thicker plastic bags for those sames uses and they only get used once! Brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 1712/30/2012

r17 = drunk uncle

You're suppose to bring your own bag, dumbass.

You're too stupid to live. Go back to Free Republic, loser. Global Warming is a myth...

by Anonymousreply 1812/30/2012

R10 I am so downloading that show.

by Anonymousreply 1912/30/2012

You know what, I'm pretty liberal, but even I think this is ridiculous. Those plastic bags were great trash bags, pooper scoopers, and they just came in handy for everything. Those bring your own bags are awful and unsafe. This is why when I go to the store and they have that flimsy plastic, I double and triple bag. Fuck them. The plastic bags were good.

by Anonymousreply 2012/30/2012

I wish.

by Anonymousreply 2112/30/2012

Trader Joes reusable bags are fantastic. I love them.

by Anonymousreply 2212/30/2012

A netted bag is easily stowed away in your workbag, easily washed, and holds a ton of groceries.

Produce bags are great for picking up dog poop. Broccoli and onion scented shit are the scents of 2013.

by Anonymousreply 2312/30/2012

[R20] Exactly what I do with the bags. My trash goes in a big dumpster in the alley. I hang a bag in the kitchen and elsewhere on a cabinet handle. I compost vegetable matter and don't eat meat. When the small bags are full, I close them up, tie tightly and into the dumpster. The result is I never buy those big black bags that are much worse.

by Anonymousreply 2412/30/2012

STFU and get reusable bags.

So many people in denial about environmental impact.

by Anonymousreply 2512/30/2012

Take your own, doufus.

by Anonymousreply 2612/30/2012

Those plastic bags are recyclable.

by Anonymousreply 2712/30/2012

In The Big Apple most supermarkets use two plastic bags that are not a thick as the old single ones.

by Anonymousreply 2812/30/2012

Plastic bags suck. Yes, they're convenient, but the amount of chemicals and petroleum used to make them fuck the earth repeatedly - and this is just to MAKE them, folks.

Not even starting to factor in where they go after they are used.

EVERYONE should watch the documentary "Bag It" and then tell me how fabulous plastic bags are.

And wrapping dog poop in a plastic bag stands as one of the dumbest, stupidest and most selfish things man can do to the earth. Why the FUCK would anyone with even the tiniest bit of common sense think to take something that is the definition of biodegradable (poo) and wrap it in something that takes 100+ years to break down?

by Anonymousreply 2912/30/2012

R29, those are our gifts to the future. Don't be such a downer.

by Anonymousreply 3012/30/2012

Don't get me started on the reusable bags and the self-check-out aisle. Every time I put my bags on the counter to pack them up the machine starts squawking and yelling me to remove the last item. I ask the clerk to fix it and half the time the idiot says s/he's not supposed to.

Well, why the hell did you sell me the bags if I can't use them properly? And, no, I won't put the items on the counter then fill the bags when I'm finished.

by Anonymousreply 3112/30/2012

I received one of these as a gift last Christmas. It hooks over the sides of your grocery cart and it works great.

Holds a lot.

Made of heavy canvas with plastic handles.

I have given it the "DL Seal of Approval®" as a worthwhile product.

by Anonymousreply 3212/30/2012

[quote] Don't get me started on the reusable bags and the self-check-out aisle.

Those self checkout things do suck, but I just check out by checking my items, setting them down at the base of where the bags sit, and then put the items back in my cart so I can bag them as I like without some obese mouthbreather grumbling in my ear to move along.

I use a backpack too so I prefer to bag my own stuff whenever I can.

If I have a big order I go to one of the stores where they actually have a "regular" sized self checkout aisle (items just go on a belt to the end, as normal, but you do the bagging) and I take my bf or a friend so one of us can bag while the other checks out.

by Anonymousreply 3312/30/2012

they are from an environmental standpoint tab out the worst convenience imaginable. they've been outlawed in Portland, OR, and the whole state may soon follow suit. You should have your own heavy-duty reusable grocery bags you bring with to the store, like Trader Joe's sell. The end.

by Anonymousreply 3412/30/2012

I too bitch about the cheap plastic bags, which have HOLES in them! I keep them to put the scooped cat litter in from the cat box and have to watch which plastic bags to use that DON'T have holes in them. It's the bane of a cat master's existence, free plastic bags with holes in them. It has ruined my life.

by Anonymousreply 3512/30/2012

This.

by Anonymousreply 3612/30/2012

I use these. The are shaped just like the plastic ones we are used to. When you aren't using them they fold up to a nice little ball. For quick trips you can even stash them in your front pocket while shopping. They last about three years. For each person that would cancel out hundreds of bags.

by Anonymousreply 3712/30/2012

Envirosax. So much easier to keep clean than those flimsy resuable bags made of that woven-fabric stuff.

They had a Black Firday sale and I got a bunch for 50% off.

by Anonymousreply 3812/30/2012

Guys won't use Envirosax.

They need to make one with CamoCloth and make the straps wider.

They should have consulted me ....

by Anonymousreply 3912/30/2012

Actually that is a good point. What kind of bag is a guy supposed to use. No guy I know is going to walk into Whole Foods or whatever with their own bags. It's silly.

by Anonymousreply 4112/30/2012

Maybe instead of banning plastic bags, we should pass laws making landlords pay for recycling.

Who cares about the bags if I cannot recycle all the paper, plastic, and glass I use?

by Anonymousreply 4212/30/2012

[quote]Yeah we all wanna be elder gays carrying around bags in our purses.

I happen to carry my own shopping bag, it saves time and money...dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 4312/30/2012

[QUOTE] Yeah we all wanna be elder gays carrying around bags in our purses.

I see a lot of straight men doing this every day, R40. What has your panties in a wad?

Oh, and fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 4412/30/2012

They charge 5 cents now here in Seattle, except if you're on welfare (natch). The new bags are stronger, but don't work as well for household garbage bags.

by Anonymousreply 4512/30/2012

Sheesh. Grocery shopping. How low brow. I just order online and they deliver.

by Anonymousreply 4612/30/2012

Funny about the environmental claims on grocery bags. Turns out that the disposable plastic bags are the most environmentally friendly kind.

The United Kingdom has its own equivalent of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. It's called the Environment Agency, and they did a very thorough and comprehensive study of "carrier bags."

It's 120 pages long, and the link is below. The conclusions start on page 58. Among them:

- Those reusable cloth sacks? You have to use one anywhere from 130 times to more than 300 times before you reduce the global warming impact to the level of the standard disposables. (The difference between number of uses depends on what assumption is made for the re-use of disposables. The average reuse rate for purposes like cleaning up dog shit or lining a wastebasket is 40%, and at that rate the cloth bag has to be reused 179 times before its global warming impact equals that of disposable plastic.)

- All reusable bags harbor e coli and norovirus. The U.K. study did not include the environmental impact of washing reusable bags, which would make them even more harmful to the environment.

- "Biodegradable" plastic bags are worse for the environment than disposables. Why? They're "biodegradable" because they're made partly with corn starch, which has to be grown and shipped.

- Paper bags, whether made of recycled paper or not, are more than 15 times as harmful to water quality and 4 times as likely to cause global warming than plastic. Not only is the paper industry, including the recycled paper industry, one of the dirtiest industries there is, but a paper bag weighs almost 10 times as much as a plastic one, and therefore the emissions involved in shipping have to be counted, along with the various environmental impacts of cutting down trees.

- Disposable plastic bags are made with oil refinery byproducts that otherwise would be burned, i.e., "flared off" into the atmosphere. It actually reduces global warming at the manufacturing level to make them, although the shipping offsets that.

Now, I don't expect any of this to change the minds of those who believe they are being better environmentalists by using cloth bags (or even worse, those incredibly filthy and heavy, thick reusable plastic ones).

This is [itslic]entirely[/italic] a matter of appearances, not just here but in the oh-so-trendy places like Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco that have banned them. It's a trivial thing, and actually kind of funny, in that it shows so clearly that Sarah Palin isn't the only one who dismisses whatever science she doesn't like.

The trendy hipsters are just as bad.

by Anonymousreply 4712/30/2012

I believe Seattle banned them over pictures of whales that choked to death on them, or something like that!

by Anonymousreply 4812/30/2012

Well then Seattle better ban a lot more things, because whales eat more than plastic bags.

by Anonymousreply 4912/30/2012

Here's an interesting Rolling Stone article:

The Plastic Bag Wars

The world consumes 1 million plastic shopping bags every minute - and the industry is fighting hard to keep it that way

by Anonymousreply 5012/30/2012

The Rolling Stone article didn't quote any science. I had always thought that paper and plastic were equivalent, pollution wise, and that cloth sacks were the best. I was surprised by the U.K. Environment Agency study, but big parts of it have been confirmed elsewhere, especially how bad paper is for the environment.

And the reusables are filthy. Talk to a grocery checker sometime. They'll tell you how much grunge is in those bags. People don't wash them like they're supposed to. They are walking petri dishes.

But, like I wrote before, I don't expect the hipsters who think they're "environmentalists" when they use paper or cloth to even look at the actual facts. This is all about appearances and ego.

by Anonymousreply 5112/30/2012

[quote] And the reusables are filthy. Talk to a grocery checker sometime. They'll tell you how much grunge is in those bags. People don't wash them like they're supposed to. They are walking petri dishes.

For fuck's sake, this is not about appearances. Do we have to destroy the fucking earth just because some fat fucking sows are too lazy to wash their vegetables and wash their fucking hands?

Are we licking the fucking outside of a cereal box? No? Then why does it have to have the sterility of an operating room?

Christ, use common sense. Our ancestors did this 100+ years ago and somehow this wasn't an issue.

by Anonymousreply 5212/30/2012

Those reusable bags actually harbor bacteria and other germs. There was a story team about a whole soccer team getting sick from eating food that came out of one of those reusable bags - I forget the exact details, sorry.

I also that whole thing about it taking 500 years for a plastic bag to decompose is ridiculous, because there was a Price Chopper bag that somehow fell behind my dresser. When I moved my dresser and found the bag, it basically was already disintegrated and turned to dust when I tried to pick it up. It could have only been there for two years, max. When I had to clean out my aunt's house, all those plastic bags in the attic were basically decomposed.

by Anonymousreply 5312/30/2012

I travel a lot, and on my travels I spend time in Western ranch country. One of the places I stay is run by a fifth-generation rancher, and in passing he mentioned that he occasionally finds plastic bags on the range.

His wife said something about plastic bags lasting forever, and he said, "No, they don't. I know, because I pick 'em up. Plastic bags rot like anything else."

Of course, those who don't want to believe that won't believe it. Faith-based "reasoning" isn't limited to the right wingers.

by Anonymousreply 5412/30/2012

"Funny about the environmental claims on grocery bags. Turns out that the disposable plastic bags are the most environmentally friendly kind."

Don't try to bring things like facts and science into this!

Plastic bags aren't going anywhere. People will just have to buy new ones to replace the ones they were re-using.

by Anonymousreply 5512/31/2012

By the way, "bioderadability" is kind of a joke. Ever since the mid-1980s, landfills have been lined to prevent the leaching of toxic chemicals into the groundwater.

One result is that modern landfills are "abiotic" and nothing degrades. Over time, everything compresses into a solid black mass that will sit there for centuries, regardless of what it is.

Even old-style landfills have this characteristic, depending on the particulars. People have dug into old landfills and recovered century-old newspapers in perfectly readable condition. It happens if either oxygen nor water gets to the material.

One of the arguments that the "environmentalists" have used is that plastic bags "clutter" the landfills, but in fact they do the opposite. They are much lighter and take much less space than paper bags, and because [italic]nothing[/italic] nothing biodegrades, there's no different between paper and plastic on the longevity front.

But hey, who needs science when you've got faith?

by Anonymousreply 5612/31/2012

Sunlight is nature's free disinfectant. Use it!

People are just looking for something to give them a pass for not bringing their own reuseable.

by Anonymousreply 5812/31/2012

I am a little surprised at the number of people here who defend plastic bags as though it's a matter of personal freedom. How very American.

R47, I have had the same two reusable cloth bags for I think seven years, and I am well past using them 179 times. And they are not "dirty". Besides, all my groceries come in containers of some kind, so there's no way it poses a health risk. Come to think of it, I think you can find E. coli bacteria on anything from doorknobs to coins.

My main concern regarding plastic bags is all the shit that ends up in the ocean. That huge area of plastic debris in the North Atlantic called the North Atlantic Gyre is mostly made up of consumer plastic.

by Anonymousreply 5912/31/2012

R58, you're a dolt.

by Anonymousreply 6012/31/2012

I too am so tired of the flimsy plastic fags at stores.

I am too. In my day the fag were REAL not plastic clones with flimsy muscle built up at the gym instead of the REAL muscles built up at the loading dock.

by Anonymousreply 6112/31/2012

Have a fucking conscience and buy reusable bags, you skinflint whiner.

by Anonymousreply 6212/31/2012

Has anyone ever actually seen anyone use one of those reusable bags?

They are sold all over, but I have never seen one used.

by Anonymousreply 6312/31/2012

In Santa Monica you can't even get plastic. Fucking bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 6412/31/2012

Gee, I'm sure you suffer immensely because of it, R64. Poor you.

by Anonymousreply 6512/31/2012

It would be funny if it weren't so sad that so many of the responses that came AFTER the scientific proof that these thin, plastic bags are better in almost every way for the environment are still spouting off like so many uneducated, reactionary idiots.

They are reusable and recyclable. The energy it takes to wash the cloth bags negates their environmental "friendliness". The cloth/nylon bags also need to be manufactured in a wasteful process. Those bags, when thrown out, take longer to break down. And, on and on.

The only way the plastic bags are bad is when idiots toss them out windows. It would be a better idea to ban idiots from the world.

by Anonymousreply 6601/02/2013

Reactionary "environmentalist" give the real environmentalists a bad name.

Know your facts before you open your trap or you're no better than the religionists who spew their shit without a lick of proof or, sometimes, in the face of actual, verified proof to the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 6701/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.