Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The Silver Foxes"

[italic]Four older men share their lives together in a ranch-style house in Fort Lauderdale.[/italic]

Tired of living alone, Blake Debergue places an ad in a local paper for two rooms to rent in his home. The ad is answered by Dorian McGraw and Russell Newberry.

Lyle Waggoner is Dorian--a headstrong, responsible high school teacher. He left Buffalo, New York and headed south after his wife dumped him for a young male model.

Brian Dennehy is Russell--an overly-optimistic, sometimes dim-witted but fun-loving pet store supervisor. He is a widower and a transplant from Chicago.

Robert Conrad is Blake. Also a widower, he has great sex appeal and he knows it. Originally from New Orleans, he's lived in Florida for close to 20 years. His job at a museum allows plenty of opportunity to meet members of the opposite sex.

Mickey Rooney is Solomon--Dorian's elderly, sharp-tongued father. He comes to stay with the men after his retirement home is closed due to a devastating lawsuit. Lived in Florida for decades with his wife, Sophie, before she died. He often speaks of his late wife, who was the great love of his life.

by Anonymousreply 3712/25/2013

Don't tell me. They're hot in Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 112/29/2012

They're Hot in Ft. Lauderdale.

by Anonymousreply 212/29/2012

They're sweaty in Fort Lauderdale

by Anonymousreply 312/29/2012

I've actually written out full episodes and treatment outlines of TSF. It would have started at the same time TGG began, when all of those actors were younger. If it were done today, they'd have to cast different actors of course (I see Scott Bakula as Blake, but haven't figured out who would be cast as the other characters). It's fun doing it from the male perspective.

by Anonymousreply 412/29/2012

You might reconsider casting Mickey. It's inspired, but I think Abe Vigoda has a longer shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 512/29/2012

I would watch ANYTHING with Robert Conrad in it. Lyle was pretty hot in his day, too.

by Anonymousreply 612/29/2012

[quote]Lyle was pretty hot in his day, too.

I'll say!

by Anonymousreply 712/29/2012

Make sure they eat cheesecake.

by Anonymousreply 812/29/2012

Funny how the character names are reminiscent of 4 other old biddies who tried living together.

by Anonymousreply 912/29/2012

R8 actually, their go-to choice of dessert is brownies instead of cheesecake.

by Anonymousreply 1012/29/2012

Speaking of cheese....

by Anonymousreply 1112/29/2012

I love it OP, I'm pretty sure someone is stealing this idea right now. Lol at pet store supervisor.

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2012

LOL that's ok, R12, it's copywritten. And thanks for the compliment!

by Anonymousreply 1312/29/2012

The theme song is James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend".

This is their house...

by Anonymousreply 1512/29/2012

Is Robert Conrad still alive? Maybe it's Robert Culp who died; sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1612/29/2012

Brian Dennhey will always be John Wayne Gacey to me. I blame him alone for my clown phobia.

Mix it up with Nathan Lane or some eldergay who wears an ascot, a Felix Unger type. Henry Winkler could play the part. Someone needs to add double entendres and witty repartee.

Ax Mickey Rooney and the character, unless he dies in the first episode (drives his Cadillac into a lake because he can't see over the wheel - queue the house laugh track) and leaves them all tons of money so they can move out of Ft Lauderdale.

Throw in a a suacy well hung speedo-wearing Mexican pool boy.

I can just imagine plot lines... they guys go to the DMV, complain about the cost of their medications, get lost in a parking lot because they forgot where they parked, complain about their grandchildren, and a very special 2 parter where one gets a polyp on his colon.... but it turns out to be non cancerous to all their relief (and the elder gay volunteers to probe the colon in the future, for medical reasons wink wink).

by Anonymousreply 1712/29/2012

Yeah, he's still alive. They all are.

by Anonymousreply 1812/29/2012

Put it on HBO, r17, and the well hung Mexican pool boy won't need to wear a speedo.

by Anonymousreply 1912/29/2012

Great plot ideas, R17. A couple that I've written include the guys ending up at a gay bar, and one where Blake is impotent.

by Anonymousreply 2012/29/2012

This premise makes me want to vomit. Four straight old men would never live together under one roof. Make it a retirement community or a old folks home and it makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 2112/29/2012

Four straight women wouldn't either, R21. Definitely not. They'd kill each other. But that didn't stop TGG from working, did it? It's just TV, dude. Take a chill pill.

by Anonymousreply 2212/29/2012

Fun idea, but it would probably work better if they were all gay.

by Anonymousreply 2312/29/2012

r23 done. and animated.

by Anonymousreply 2412/29/2012

I want Brenda Vaccaro to guest star as Dorian's blowsy wife from Buffalo.

by Anonymousreply 2512/30/2012

Cool, R25! I'd envisioned Lynda Carter as the wife (Wonder Woman tie-in), but I think Brenda is an even better choice!

by Anonymousreply 2612/30/2012

[quote] Originally from New Orleans, he's lived in Florida for close to 20 years. His job at a museum allows plenty of opportunity to meet members of the opposite sex.

The others are ambiguous, but this is straight up Blanche Devereaux. I straight up lol'd at the "his job at a museum" part.

by Anonymousreply 2712/30/2012

Wow, r26. Thanks! I was just in Buffalo for Christmas, and I can assure you there are more Brenda Vaccaros in Buffalo than Lynda Carters.

by Anonymousreply 2812/30/2012

LOL R28.

by Anonymousreply 2912/30/2012

Any updates, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3001/09/2013

Lyle is too hot to play the Dorothy part! You need somebody who the others can make fun of as being repulsive to women.

by Anonymousreply 3101/10/2013

Robert Conrad would severely beat the others when they annoyed him.

by Anonymousreply 3201/10/2013

Two more storylines:

Blake is dating a transexual but is unaware of it. The guys are aware, but they are unsure of how to break it to him.

On the way back from a fishing trip, Blake's vehicle breaks down and the guys duck into a bar to pass the time until a tow truck comes. A bit of time passes before they realize it's a gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 3305/23/2013

I like this.

by Anonymousreply 3412/25/2013

And we like that your Christmas consists of your bumping old threads, R34.

But then we're not nice people.

by Anonymousreply 3512/25/2013

And you bumped it again, R35.

by Anonymousreply 3612/25/2013

Funny OP.

Love it.

by Anonymousreply 3712/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!