and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Naomi Watts

Will win The Oscar...

Just a hunch...

Am I crazy?

by Anonymousreply 3001/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 112/29/2012

At the very least, I feel that Jennifer Lawrence -- considered the front-runner a month ago -- will now be lucky if she gets nominated.

by Anonymousreply 312/29/2012

she might

by Anonymousreply 412/29/2012

It's Jennifer Lawrence versus Jessica Chastain. No one else has a shot. Marion Cotillard and Naomi Watts look fairly strong contenders for nominations, but have virtually no chance to win.

The last slot will be filler and will probably default to Helen Mirren, although if the little girl from "Beasts of the Southern Wild" gets it, look for a lot of contrarians to suggest she's going to be the surprise upset.

by Anonymousreply 512/29/2012

Nobody cares or has seen The Impossible. It has no buzz.

by Anonymousreply 612/29/2012

I suspect she will win as well.

by Anonymousreply 712/29/2012

I actually saw The Impossible. I completely do not understand why people are saying Watts will be nominated. She's good at looking scared and being in pain. And then disappears from the last half of the movie. I'm trying to imagine which scene they would show... The one where she's grimacing with pain after getting lanced by a tree branch? The one where she's tumbling in the water? Or perhaps the endless scenes of her being forced along the water by the tsunami? I'm imagining half of her performance is done by stunt people.

by Anonymousreply 812/29/2012

Right, she's okay, but has nothing to do.

She did more in KONG - at least she had to learn a soft shoe.

by Anonymousreply 912/29/2012

What about Marion Cotillard? And where is the Marion Cotillard Troll?

by Anonymousreply 1012/29/2012

Nah, it'll be Rachel Weisz in a staggering upset victory.

by Anonymousreply 1112/29/2012

Oops. I'm having 2nd thoughts haven't seen the movie and thought it was Ewan McGregor who is missing from most of the the movie. Guess the real star is young son who is great but doesn't have a chance for a nod...

I thought I was having a Brenda Fricker moment when I haven't seen the movie but knew she would win...

I also forgot about Jessica Chastain...

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2012

Chastain and Lawrence and Cotillard are locks. Probably Watts, although Weisz could take it away from her. The fifth slot will hopefully go to Emmanuelle Riva and not Qjonbenet Wallis.

by Anonymousreply 1312/30/2012

[post redacted because thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 1612/30/2012

Its a packed field this year. Wallis, Riva, Lawrence, Chastain, Weisz, Cotillard, Mirren, and Watts could all reasonably be expected to get a nom. She'll be lucky to get in the top five, but will win when she plays Diana.

by Anonymousreply 1712/30/2012

[quote]but will win when she plays Diana.

Ick. That movie looks like it should be on Lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 1812/30/2012

Chastain's going to win. It's too bad Viola Davis won't get in for "Won't Back Down." Carmen Ejogo won't get in for Supporting Actress either. Sighs.

by Anonymousreply 1912/30/2012

No because she's no Fay Wray. Her work in KK is beyond belief! Climbing the ladder up the ESB??? KK should just through her off at the end. Or take her with him.

KK has the most drawn out death scene.

by Anonymousreply 2012/30/2012

Finally he drops. PJ sucks!

by Anonymousreply 2112/30/2012

Be funnier if she runs for Brody and knocks them both off!

And she never lost her heels.

Didn't happen, even with video.

by Anonymousreply 2212/30/2012

I just can't see Chastain winning. While she certainly has received good reviews, she hasn't been the center of praise for the film, unlike, say, Weisz or Watts or Riva or Cotillard or even Wallis, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 2312/30/2012

Finally saw it today and LOVED it. During most of Naomi's scenes couldn't stop thinking whoever does makeup should win Oscar. She looked so ugly during most of film she made Charlize Theron in MOnster look like a beauty queen...

by Anonymousreply 2401/04/2013

I'm sorry, but who is Riva?? Is that a nickname I'm not privy to?

by Anonymousreply 2601/04/2013

i think the female of Amour

by Anonymousreply 2701/04/2013

I doubt she'll win, but she'll almost certainly be nominated.

It'll be Chastain, Lawrence, Cotillard, Watts, and Wallis/Riva/Mirren/Weisz for the fifth spot.

I agree it will probably be Lawrence vs Chastain for the win, should be an interesting race.

by Anonymousreply 2801/04/2013

The Impossible should get nominations for visuall effects and score also. It deserves BP more than Django...

Poor Ewan McGregor he is alawys acting his heart out and he ever gets a nomination.He is more deserving than Robert DeNiro..

by Anonymousreply 2901/05/2013

Just saw The Impossible this evening. As a technical cinematic achievement, it's astonishing -- the recreation of the tsunami is breathtaking and horrifying. And while I suspect the script is more fragile than it appears, the director knows how to ratchet up the story to create a genuinely emotionally wrenching experience -- I haven't cried this much at a movie in a decade. I agree with r29 that it deserves nominations for visual effects and score, as well as sound and production design, maybe even Best Picture. (It's also a movie that requires a big screen to really appreciate it.)

The performances: I'll start with Tom Holland and Ewan McGregor, both of whom are fantastically good. McGregor, especially, had me balling during the phone sequence. An amazing actor; a shame he's never been nominated, but I have a feeling he might make the cut this year.

As for Naomi, she's excellent, as well. I suspect much of the praise and Oscar talk is due to the immense physical challenge of the role, while also communicating the emotional layers of the character at the same time, and she does it marvelously, almost effortlessly. So, yeah, I could see her winning Best Actress, especially if the movie is a hit (which it deserves to be).

by Anonymousreply 3001/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!