Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Huell Howser retiring, rumors he's seriously ill

Howser is a minor PBS celebrity in California, who travels the state looking for interesting people and things, narrating it all in the world's biggest cornpone accent. He's been on TV out there for decades. Like Liberace, he's a favorite of old ladies and he's a big closet 'mo.

[quote]Howser, the white-maned public TV host with the Southern accent who's famed for blurting out "That's amazing!" during interviews, has retired from making original episodes of his program "California's Gold," which travels around the state tracking down interesting people and places. The shows air on numerous statewide public TV stations, including KCET-TV Channel 28. Speculation that the 67-year-old Howser is seriously ill has been circulating among local TV industry veterans in recent weeks, and insiders reported that he has not been seen for months at his Los Angeles office. On Tuesday the Sacramento Bee reported that Howser was retiring but added that he doesn't wish to make an official announcement.

by Anonymousreply 3801/07/2013

that's a passing of an era. He was such an unlikely star but he became the heart and soul of California's Gold. Worked with him ove 20 years ago at KCET. Lovely man...

by Anonymousreply 112/29/2012

Agree with R1. He so sincere and appreciative. He comes across as someone you want to protect. An innocent.

by Anonymousreply 212/29/2012

Well I'll be, is that a jar of rocks we're looking at? A JAR of ROCKS?!!!

by Anonymousreply 412/29/2012

Repug to the core.

by Anonymousreply 512/29/2012

Not sure about that r5. I was in a car wash in Palm Springs a few years ago and Huell was waiting for his car and ranting about the repukes loudly to someone who looked a bit confused. He was with a cute twink.

by Anonymousreply 612/29/2012

I'm sure he's nice but I can't stand listening to anyone who takes forever to say nothing.

by Anonymousreply 712/29/2012

Came to California after being stationed here with the USMC during Vietnam.

A lot of his method of "making clear" comes from the Marine way of bringing all the troops on board by emphasizing the important points...

over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 812/29/2012

Worked for KCET for a year and a half. A bunch of lovely people r1. I left right before the break with PBS.

Are you still with them r1?

by Anonymousreply 912/29/2012

Dana Gould does a crazy hilarious Huell Howser. It's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 1012/29/2012

Interesting, r6. I'd always heard Huell had a taste for young chicken -- not underaged necessarily, but serious spring chicken.

by Anonymousreply 1112/29/2012

Does anyone remember when he was a reporter and host on "Entertainment Tonight"?

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2012

I just turned on KCET, and Huell is at Phillipes, perhaps my favorite sandwich joint on earth.

I think he's a hot daddy and would let him turn me into a french dip sandwich anytime.

by Anonymousreply 1312/29/2012

Any idea what's wrong with him ?

by Anonymousreply 1412/29/2012

He has a wicked fine ass.

by Anonymousreply 1512/29/2012

Look, it's sushi! Made out of LINT!

I will never look at sushi OR lint the same way again!!!

by Anonymousreply 1612/29/2012

[quote]Any idea what's wrong with him ?

California Gold Rush Fever? How the help would we know, R14?

by Anonymousreply 1712/29/2012

Mah goodness! It's a spoon! A spoon from the 1950's! Can you close in on this? Cause it's a spoon! A spoon from the 1950's!

by Anonymousreply 1812/29/2012

Huell is RETIRING? RETIRING! I can't believe it. HUELL is RETIRING!?. I never thought I'd see the day that HUELL HOWSER would RETIRE. Never!

Things aren't going to be the same at SOCAL PBS with him RETIRING. He is such a GREAT man. Always found something INTERESTING out of the most MUNDANE of things. Yes, folks he made MUNDANE into INTERESTING.

I'll miss his ENTHUSIASM for LIFE. I wish him WELL and hope his HEALTH IMPROVES.

GOOD HEALTH to you HUELL.

by Anonymousreply 1912/29/2012

Did he talk to people in real life the way he talked to people on TV? That would annoy the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 2012/29/2012

I was never a big fan of his, mainly because of the stuff already brought out by others who have posted, although as a resident of California he did have some interesting programs and I would like to go to some of the destinations he has shown. I am kind of a fan of his nice ass though, not bad for an old codger like him.

by Anonymousreply 2112/29/2012

Rumored to be hugely hung.

by Anonymousreply 2212/29/2012

What is his rumored illness?

by Anonymousreply 2312/30/2012

A gay BBS (remember those?) I used to participate in back in the '90s had some guy who was obsessed with Huell. He always referred to him as "Huella."

by Anonymousreply 2412/30/2012

[quote]Did he talk to people in real life the way he talked to people on TV? That would annoy the shit out of me.

He reviewed my favorite neighborhood taco joint on California Gold. I asked the owner and her daughter about him and they said he acted EXACTLY like he does on TV. The daughter opened her eyes really wide when she said this. They admitted they thought he was a little odd, but extremely nice. Also, he ended up buying more food to take away after he did the segment and came back a few times after to get food.

You put POTATOES in your BURRITOS? Well, ISN'T that something? POTATOES.

by Anonymousreply 2512/30/2012

Huell

by Anonymousreply 2612/30/2012

Just announced that he has died, reported natural causes.

by Anonymousreply 2701/07/2013

RIP cool Huell...

by Anonymousreply 2801/07/2013

Just saw it on local news. RIP Huell. We crossed path only a few times but it was amazing to see you in person....and HEAR you down the hall.

by Anonymousreply 2901/07/2013

Wow! That was fast.

RIP Huell.

by Anonymousreply 3001/07/2013

In the past couple of years, Howser has forged a connection with Chapman University, donating all his papers and videos of his shows and even a house he owned out in the desert.

by Anonymousreply 3101/07/2013

His donated home was not in the desert, it is in Newberry which is on the 101 in Ventura County.

by Anonymousreply 3201/07/2013

He's fine ! He sends his love !!

by Anonymousreply 3401/07/2013

There something wrong with r33s last sentence.

by Anonymousreply 3501/07/2013

[quote]I know Huell was gay, but he was also very nice;

what is it with all the homophobic fraus infesting DL lately? Yes, he was gay R33, you deluded cunt. That does NOT mean he could not be a nice person. Fuck off back to freeperland.

by Anonymousreply 3601/07/2013

Isn't Chapman a fudie Xtian institution?

by Anonymousreply 3701/07/2013

He DEAD.

by Anonymousreply 3801/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.