Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

10 Most Bitter Oscar Reactions

Some of these are hilarious. I don't remember Samuel L. Jackson being so pissed at losing. It's not like he ever had a shot at winning anyway.

by Anonymousreply 23201/11/2013

Judy Davis looks drunk in the Jessica Lange/Sally Field clip.

by Anonymousreply 212/29/2012

Ok, I think the person who created that page was reading WAY too far into the reactions. Most of them were fine, save for Samuel L. Jackson and Bill Murray.

by Anonymousreply 312/29/2012

Lange gave better bitchface to Susan Sarandon the year she won for BLUE SKY. As did Teri Garr to Glenn Close the year Lange won for TOOTSIE.

by Anonymousreply 412/29/2012

I was bitter when Cher won over Glenn Close for that awful Moonstruck.

by Anonymousreply 512/29/2012

OP, I don't blame Samuel L. Jackson. He got screwed. Martin Landau didn't deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 612/29/2012

Landau was billiant. Best suppoting Oscar winner I ever seen. I was mesmerized by him in 'Ed Wood', and I don't often attend Oscar nominated movies.

by Anonymousreply 712/29/2012

Lots of these are just delay or no reaction. Not that they are happy to lose but to say it was bitterness...eh.

Jessica Lang, Sally K and Jackson were obvious ones though.

by Anonymousreply 812/29/2012

I love Kathy Bates.

by Anonymousreply 912/29/2012

George C Scott? Marlon Brando?

by Anonymousreply 1012/29/2012

Nothing beats seeing Lauren Bacall shooting daggers when she lost to Binoche. Unlike a lot of those other wins, this wasn't expected, and she was mightily pissed. Karma, bitch. Karma.

Field, Williams, Kidman, Paltrow, Landau, Zeta-Jones were all shoo-ins. The actors who were pissed were idiots for allowing themselves to looked pissed off. They're actors; learn to mask your disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 1112/29/2012

Dataloungers should be aware that despite her tooth-sucking reaction, Sally Kirkland did go on to play Helen Lawson in the 1994 TV series of VALLEY OF THE DOLLS

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2012

Seeing Gywneth Paltrow just made me hate her. I never hated her before but now I get it.

by Anonymousreply 1312/29/2012

Agree with R3, it's mostly just projection on the blogger's part. Good selection of clips, though.

I remember Sally Kirkland becoming all undone and crossing her fingers at the camera...then I remembered that was Teri Garr.

by Anonymousreply 1412/29/2012

Denzel was terrible in Training Day. What an over actor!

by Anonymousreply 1612/29/2012

[quote]Landau was billiant. Best suppoting Oscar winner I ever seen. I was mesmerized by him in 'Ed Wood', and I don't often attend Oscar nominated movies.

Oh please. They were giving Laundau a lifetime acheivement award. Plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 1712/29/2012

Lauren Bacall is a legend and eventually got her oscar. What has Juliette done of note since that win?

Perspective, people.

I also don't agree that actors should fake it. It's phony and very transparent.

by Anonymousreply 1812/29/2012

Why would Bill Murray expect to beat Sean Penn? Some of those actress nominees were pretty weak. As far as Samuel L. Jackson, I would have given that award to either Gary Sinise or Chazz Palimentari. I didn't think Jackson was all that great; in fact Pulp Fiction is one of the most overrated pieces of crap ever.

by Anonymousreply 1912/29/2012

Much ado about nothing, like R3 said. What surprised me was 14 year-old Sookie's accent.

by Anonymousreply 2012/29/2012

"Oh please" yourself, R17, Landau's performance was astonishing in Ed Wood. The film itself is Burton's masterpiece.

If you want to quibble you could say the Academy was rewarding Martin Landau for his previous criminally-overlooked performance in 'Crimes And Misdemeanours' much in the same way Heath Ledger won for playing The Joker and not for his Ennis.

by Anonymousreply 2112/29/2012

[quote]in fact Pulp Fiction is one of the most overrated pieces of crap ever.

Look up the word "fact" in the dictionary gramps.

by Anonymousreply 2212/29/2012

God, Sean Connery was really stupid to announce the winner as "Cathy", meaning Catherine Zita Jones when Kathy Bates was also nominated. So of course Kathy was confused for a second, who the hell had ever heard Catherine called Cathy before. Inconsiderate boob.

by Anonymousreply 2312/29/2012

r18, Juliette Binoche has hardly been resting on her laurels since that win; she just hasn't been in many American films. Just off the top of my head, she starred in at least three Michael Haneke films and a dozen or so other well-received pictures. At her comparatively young age, she's kind of already out-acted Bacall, who really is only in a handful of great or even good pictures.

by Anonymousreply 2512/29/2012

Sean actually said "Catherine."

by Anonymousreply 2612/29/2012

I love The English Patient and was hoping for an upset in any of the acting categories, but didn't actually believe that it would happen. Seeing how angry the bitch next to Bacall was just made Binoche's win even more awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2712/29/2012

Did he? Well he mumbled it, I heard "Cathy" and Kathy probably did too.

by Anonymousreply 2812/29/2012

He did say "Catherine"

by Anonymousreply 2912/29/2012

I know that Zellweger won the SAG but wasn't Kidman always the favorite for The Hours? I remember reading at the time that Zellweger didn't go to the Miramax party for Chicago because she was still angry because she lost.

When you are winning everything and everybody is telling you that you are the best and then you lose, THAT must be hard (think Viola Davis or Raul Esparza at the Tonys). I get their faces of disappointment but not when people like Samuel Jackson, Bates, Kirkland, who were never the favorites, lose.

by Anonymousreply 3012/29/2012

Samuel L. Jackson is still pissed over his Oscar loss:

[quote]He lost to Martin Landau’s Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood. When I asked if he thought he should have won instead Jackson was refreshingly candid.

[quote]“Yes I do. I really don’t know many people who can not only remember Ed Wood but remember what Martin Landau did in it,” he said but added he was told it was more of a life achievement kind of award. “You know they were saying ‘Martin’s been nominated a few times and you’re going to be around for a while. Don’t worry.’ I was thinking I didn’t know it was a thing where if you get nominated for a few times you automatically get one. I thought it was supposed to be about impact.”

by Anonymousreply 3112/29/2012

Jackson must live in a bubble. Landau got raves and immediate Oscar talk as soon as Ed Wood was released. He was the one sure shot win that year. Jackson is clueless.

by Anonymousreply 3212/29/2012

That first line is pretty insulting to Martin.

by Anonymousreply 3312/29/2012

I think Binoche is the most interesting actress of today. I can watch her in anything. She sometimes fails, but even her failures are more interesting than the predictable "accomplishments" from other actresses. And while I love Huppert I wish she would stray from her cool persona a bit more.

If you want to see exciting acting watch Cache or Certified Copy (the guy playing Man was dreadful, though).

by Anonymousreply 3412/29/2012

The sorest loser of all time is Bette Midler. She has never shut up about it and had to lose to Sally Field.

I don't know if she had bitch face, but she has one long memory.

Bette once said her motto is; "I hold a grudge." I think this pertains to more than the Oscar loss

by Anonymousreply 3512/29/2012

Quotes from Bette Midler?

by Anonymousreply 3612/29/2012

Is Binoche the one with the prosethetic foot?

by Anonymousreply 3712/29/2012

"He was the one sure shot win that year."

Uh, no. Everyone knew Hanks was going to get it as well for FORREST GUMP. Ditto Dianne Weist and Jessica Lange.

There wasn't a single surprise that year.

by Anonymousreply 3812/29/2012

what happened with Dianne Wiest? I don't think I've seen anything she's been in for years.

by Anonymousreply 4012/29/2012

You're a freak, R39. I was just asking for quotes where she bashed Sally because I was curious - wasn't doubting you. Jesus Christ, unclench, will you? Happy New Year to you, too.

by Anonymousreply 4112/29/2012

I think SNL made a sketch out of Mary Tyler Moore running out of the theater/auditorium after losing to Sissy, who won for Coal Miner's Daughter.

by Anonymousreply 4212/29/2012

Fernanda Montenegro was really bitter over losing to Gwyneth:

[quote] Fernanda Montenegro doesn't hate Gwyneth Paltrow because she's thin and beautiful. She just thinks that's why the 26-year-old whippersnapper whipped her in the Best Actress race. Referring to the Shakespeare in Love star as "this romantic figure, thin, pure, virginal," the 69-year-old Montenegro declared, "They don't have much of this type of actress in America." An Oscar for Paltrow, then, "is an investment," according to Montenegro.

And she was bitter about her movie losing to Life is Beautiful for Best Foreign Language film:

[quote] The actress groused, "It didn't deserve to win. I think even Benigni recognized this." "As a film it was weak...I thought it was just him that won, not the film itself."

by Anonymousreply 4412/29/2012

Bill Murray was the worst sore loser of all time:

[quote] According to British newspaper The Sun, Murray later shouted at organizers, "If I knew this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bothered coming."

by Anonymousreply 4512/29/2012

But even if Paltrow hadn't won, Montenegro didn't stand a chance, either. The race was between Paltrow and Blanchett. So one of those two would've won over Montenegro. What would she have said about Blanchett then?

by Anonymousreply 4612/29/2012

Bacall is not an acting legend. One nomination, and for a POS movie. She's remembered more for being Bogart's wife than any film acting. Binoche has done a lot of French cinema (being a French actress and all). Check out Code Unknown, Summer Hours and Certified Copy; three performances that wipe the floor with anything Bacall could come up with.

by Anonymousreply 4712/29/2012

Eddie Murphy actually LEFT the ceremony when he didn't win for Dream Girls. Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4812/29/2012

Considering Julie Christie won the SAG Award, the Golden Globe and a host of critics' awards, I hardly think she was dreaming to think she'd beat Cotillard, R49.

And it's not as if Christie didn't also give a terrific performance. It wouldn't have been a lifetime achievement prize for mediocre work like when Bacall was expected to win.

by Anonymousreply 5012/29/2012

Being a good loser is overrated. I kind of enjoy people who congratulate the winner but don't pretend to be thrilled they lost.

by Anonymousreply 5212/29/2012

Anonymous, why are you pissed off with my opinion?

by Anonymousreply 5412/29/2012

Well, now that you mention it, R35 - the lyric you're quoting under "Author" should be "...in the spring...becomes the rose." Not "...there was no rose," which frankly doesn't make any sense.

Hate to tell you but I guess people have been laughing at your karaoke for years.

by Anonymousreply 5512/29/2012

R55! You're the only one on this thread who completely missed the joke.

by Anonymousreply 5612/29/2012

[quote]Anyone who thought they'd beat Marion Cotillard for her interpretation of Edith Piaf was dreaming. Marion is the Daniel Day Lewis of women actors. Yes, Meryl, she is.

I haven't seen "Rust and bone" yet, but in her English speaking parts Marion has been pretty underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 5712/29/2012

Landau was definitely the favourite, he won every precursor that year. He didn't just give a great performance but he was playing one of Hollywood's own, Bela Lugosi, and made him poignant and dignified.

by Anonymousreply 5812/29/2012

Bette Midler sucked in The Rose. Nobody bought her as Janis Joplin. She was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 5912/29/2012

I just like seeing Sally Field rub Gidget and Sister Bertrille in all their noses.

by Anonymousreply 6012/29/2012

I still can't believe Cotillard won. It was such a shrill performance and the film was terrible. Terrible screenplay, couldn't sit through 35 minutes of it.

by Anonymousreply 6112/29/2012

Thanks, OP. Lots of fun.

And Jackson at least could have taken some consolation in Landau's despairing, pathetic shout of "NOOOOOOO!!!!!!" when they cut him off in mid-glory. I'll bet Barbara Bain snickered over it.

by Anonymousreply 6212/29/2012

r56

In the distance there is disharmony?

by Anonymousreply 6312/29/2012

"Lauren Bacall is a legend and eventually got her oscar. What has Juliette done of note since that win?"

Bwahahaha!

L. Bacall's Oscar wasn't competitive, and it wasn't even handed to her during the telecast. What a moment of glory!

And Binoche... seriously? She received a nomination for Best Acress just five years later (for the hit movie 'Chocolat'), and has starred in important auteur films such as 'Cache', 'Certified Copy' (for which she won the acting prize in Cannes), and many others.

She's an international superstar, and, unlike Bacall, a real ACTRESS.

The question is, what has Bacall done of note since 1996? Not much.

by Anonymousreply 6412/29/2012

[quote]The question is, what has Bacall done of note since 1996?

Burped and farted.

by Anonymousreply 6512/29/2012

I was surprised Eddie Murphy didn't win for Dream Girls. I thought he did a fantastic job in it, much as I dislike him.

by Anonymousreply 6612/29/2012

R64, since her Oscar loss, Bacall has actually been in some interesting arthouse projects (Birth, Dogville, The Walker). I can't quite claim any of them are particularly good, but these aren't exactly the lazy paycheck projects that would be inside her comfort zone.

Her IMDb page also lists several voice roles in animated films, usually as a witch. That, however, is completely within Bacall's comfort zone.

by Anonymousreply 6712/29/2012

For both Eddie Murphy and Lauren Bacall this would be their only chance at ever winning an Oscar.

Maybe that means something, but I am not sure.

Lauren Bacall should have received her honorary Oscar on camera, as all others of her stature did, have ? grammar police.....help.

Jennifer Hudson should have not received anything but a gift bag, but that is not the topic here.

by Anonymousreply 6812/29/2012

Bacall didn't have to do shit. She was and is a star and legend. Being nominated and losing didn't change that fact.

"International Star" (LOL - a title resorted to when they can't get arrested in America) Binoche hasn't done anything of major note since ENGLISH PATIENT. No one remembers CHOCOLAT.

by Anonymousreply 6912/29/2012

Robin Williams is naturally funny, those comments to Weinstein and Ben Asscrack and Matt Damon were too funny!

by Anonymousreply 7112/29/2012

Besides the disapointed faces it's nice to see the also rans show great pleasure when someone else wins. Blanchett and Streep and Deep are great sports.

Burt Reynolds, Sam Jackson and Bill Murray are assholes inside and out. I'm glad they lost.

by Anonymousreply 7212/29/2012

LOL! since when is Lauren Bacall a legend? What is she a legend for exactly besides being Bogie's wife?

If it hasn't been pointed out already, the guy sitting next to Lauren at the Oscars is her son. He always has a sour look about him - just genetics.

by Anonymousreply 7312/29/2012

I wasn't all that impressed with Cotillard as Piaf either. Too shrieky. More hype than was justified.

I always thought Bill Murray was hamming it up about losing. He was funny and it was an entirely endearing shtick for such a pompous occasion.

by Anonymousreply 7412/29/2012

I'm thrilled that Juliette Binoche won for The English Patient, but I can also acknowledge that Lauren Bacall is a film legend for her work in the 40's and 50's, including To Have And Have Not, The Big Sleep, Key Largo, Young Man with a Horn, How to Marry a Millionaire, and Designing Woman.

by Anonymousreply 7512/29/2012

R73

These are very superficial and completely unscientific ways of viewing people.

Not everyone has a natural smiley countenance. What people call in youth as a sexy look can maybe be later read as a "bitch" face.

I have never really understood that phrase before, but I understand a sour countenance.

I am sexy mean looking unless I am laughing or very happy with whom I am speaking with. I am not a bitch, nor sour. Part "genetics", part reserve. Much more illuminating to see extreme differences in facial expressions on a turn of a dime or a phrase or a loss.

Your projections are pretty reductive and there is nothing less attractive than a grinning idiot, IMO.

What is wrong with distinction and even haughtiness in a face. Nothing. I like loveliness and an open countenance too but not everyone's features operate that way. We can't all be waiters.

There are of course bitches and bitchy expressions, but leave it at that.

Genetics was your point, but I think you were not really speaking of that or I would not take up the point.

by Anonymousreply 7612/29/2012

Okay, can someone please insert a clever comment containing the words Highpoint and flavah? I know one of you bitches has it in you.

by Anonymousreply 7712/29/2012

Good lord, R76, what are you on about?

Lauren's son with Bogey has a sour looking face naturally. That's the extent of my remark. It has nothing to do with what he was thinking though he may have been naturally disappointed his mother lost. Google him Stephen Humphrey Bogart - even when he's smiling he looks like a sour puss, even as a baby - poor thing with his genes LOL!

He may be the sweetest person alive but we are stuck with our faces.

by Anonymousreply 7812/29/2012

"Bacall is not an acting legend. One nomination, and for a POS movie. She's remembered more for being Bogart's wife than any film acting. Binoche has done a lot of French cinema (being a French actress and all). Check out Code Unknown, Summer Hours and Certified Copy; three performances that wipe the floor with anything Bacall could come up with."

You are an absolute fucking idiot. Bacall IS an acting legend, you're just too stupid to comprehend that. And who the hell has ever heard of or seen the "three performances" that you're blathering about? And they "wipe up the floor with anything Bacall could come up with?" You obviously don't know one single fucking thing about Lauren Bacall. You're just a dumbass Juliette Binoche fangurl who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about. So why don't you just shut the fuck up?

by Anonymousreply 7912/29/2012

"And Binoche... seriously? She received a nomination for Best Acress just five years later (for the hit movie 'Chocolat'), and has starred in important auteur films such as 'Cache', 'Certified Copy' (for which she won the acting prize in Cannes), and many others.

She's an international superstar, and, unlike Bacall, a real ACTRESS "

Give it a rest, retarded Juliette Binoche fangurl. You've made a fool of yourself several times over. Now please fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 8012/29/2012

Bacall lost because she has a reputation for being a mean-spirited, poor-mouthing bitch. Period.

by Anonymousreply 8112/29/2012

Bacall was superb in Birth - a complex, highly underrated film. Her best scene was cut - it's in one of the DVD versions.

Binoche made the "important" The English Patient watchable.

by Anonymousreply 8212/29/2012

Looks like Lauren's found Datalounge. Sweetie, no matter what movie you appeared in, there was always someone better in it, and better remembered for it.

by Anonymousreply 8412/29/2012

I have to give credit to Lauren Bacall for advertising for Bissel's chocolates. A holiday hasn't passed that one of my loved ones is gifted with their candy, and it's all due to Ms. Bacall.

I also sought out the collection of Burger King's winter tulip tumblers because of Ms. Bacall's pedigree.

by Anonymousreply 8512/29/2012

"The question is, what has Bacall done of note since 1996? Not much."

She's had a long and successful career and is considered an iconic star, so I guess she doesn't feel the need to make a movie every year. And by the way dickweed, here are some of the honors that have been bestowed on her:

1970 Tony Award for Best Leading Actress in a Musical – Applause

1972 Sarah Siddons Award

1980 National Book Award in the one-year category Autobiography

1981 Tony Award for Best Leading Actress in a Musical – Woman of the Year

1984 Sarah Siddons Award

1990 George Eastman Award (given by George Eastman House)

1992 Premio Donostia [Honorary Award]

1993 Golden Globe Cecil B. DeMille Award

1997 Berlin International Film Festival - Berlinale Camera

1997 Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role – The Mirror Has Two Faces

1997 Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role – The Mirror Has Two Faces

1997 Kennedy Center Honors

1999 was ranked #20 of the 25 actresses on the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Stars list by the American Film Institute

2000 Stockholm Film Festival Lifetime Achievement Award

2007 Norwegian International Film Festival Lifetime Achievement Award

2008 Bette Davis Medal of Honor (from the Bette Davis Foundation)

2009 Academy Honorary Award

by Anonymousreply 8612/29/2012

Why isn't Lizabeth Scott on tv selling coffee?

by Anonymousreply 8712/29/2012

[quote] Bacall IS an acting legend

LOL! No, dear she is not. She isn't even considered a very good actor. That list of awards is a joke. Did you even read some of that tripe?

She is more a personality than an actor.

by Anonymousreply 8812/29/2012

Mary Tyler Moore would have given good bitch face when Sissy Spacek won, but she had practiced her Mary Richards smile for so long that she didn't know there could be another emotion.

by Anonymousreply 8912/29/2012

Holy shit, I think the unhinged Lauren Bacall Troll is my new favorite. What a fucking piece of work!

And leave it to the rotting eldergays of DL to try to pretend Martin Landau wasn't 100 percent a sentimental win.

by Anonymousreply 9012/29/2012

[quote]And leave it to the rotting eldergays of DL to try to pretend Martin Landau wasn't 100 percent a sentimental win.

Bacall winning would have been 100 percent sentimental. Landau gave hands down the best performance. The fact that he was somewhat overdue at the time just made his win more of a sure thing.

by Anonymousreply 9112/29/2012

Binoche IS a lovely person AND Actress...

by Anonymousreply 9312/29/2012

Honestly, Lauren is a national treasure for showing us the class and elegance that is Arby's!

by Anonymousreply 9512/29/2012

This entire thread is a nothingburger. None of these reactions is worth noting.

by Anonymousreply 9612/29/2012

Seems like there's a Binoche troll too.

by Anonymousreply 9712/29/2012

[quote] This entire thread is a nothingburger.

Funny, "nothingburger" is exactly what your last trick said when you disrobed.....

by Anonymousreply 9812/29/2012

But r79 is correct though. There is a huge fangurl running around for Mrs. B.

Its as annoying as M.

by Anonymousreply 9912/30/2012

That was for r83

by Anonymousreply 10012/30/2012

Lauren Becall is a great actress, and had classy looks. A shame she lost the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 10112/30/2012

Jodie Foster's expression was priceless when she lost Best Actress for her role in Nell. Paul McCartney was nominated in Best Song for Live And Let Die. McCartney jumped out of his seat when the winner was announced but soon sat down again when he realized the winner was Isaac Hayes for the theme from Shaft.

by Anonymousreply 10212/30/2012

[quote]Landau gave hands down the best performance. The fact that he was somewhat overdue at the time just made his win more of a sure thing.

Exactly. He was the favorite for months because his performance was so universally acclaimed. Samuel L. Jackson never had a chance. Plus, he was lead anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10312/30/2012

Here's the link of Jodie Foster losing for Nell. I am not a Foster fan but I don't see any unusual expression on her face. Holy shit. Sarandon was nominated for The Client? That must have been one shitty year for lead actress roles.

by Anonymousreply 10412/30/2012

R102, not that it matters much but McCartney lost the Oscar to Marvin Hamlisch for The Way We Were.

by Anonymousreply 10512/30/2012

Wow, Samuel L. Jackson couldn't have been more unprofessional and whiney in that clip! Definitely a sore loser.

by Anonymousreply 10612/30/2012

Sissy spacek does look good in that clip!

by Anonymousreply 10712/30/2012

[quote]That must have been one shitty year for lead actress roles.

Nope, there were plenty of Oscar worthy best actress roles in 1994 that were completely ignored.

Linda Fiorentino in The Last Seduction

Crissy Rock in Ladybird, Ladybird

Toni Collette in Muriel's Wedding

Rena Owen in Once Were Warriors

Irene Jacob in Three Colors: Red

Gong Li in To Live

by Anonymousreply 10812/30/2012

He knew he would probably never get back there again. As for Midler, her Oscar quips are her usual well executed comic takes: "For years I have waited for you to call and say you made a mistake... But do I hold a grudge, no. My mind retains nothing" or whatever. and she said all that on the Oscars itself.

By the way, Sally Kirkland actually had a chance even in that ultra-competitive year -- because she was great in the film AND playing an actress whom every other actor could relate to. Seems weird now that she went nowhere but she wasn't deluded thinking she had a shot. (Holly Hunter is the one who says they were scraping the bottom of the barrel nominating her that year, ha).

Glenn Close probably deserved it over all of them, though. Film history.

by Anonymousreply 10912/30/2012

People forget Spacek was considered a beauty once. But she grew matronly fast. Too many farm wives!

by Anonymousreply 11012/30/2012

[quote]Glenn Close probably deserved it over all of them, though. Film history.

Glenn was robbed during the year she was up for Fatal Attraction. No way should Cher have won for that corny, cheesy Moonstruck.

by Anonymousreply 11112/30/2012

[quote]Linda Fiorentino in The Last Seduction

[italic]The Last Seduction[/italic] didn't qualify under Academy rules. I think it was aired on television before its theater run.

by Anonymousreply 11212/30/2012

Didn't Kirkland take the Drama Globe that year? She was hardly deluded thinking she might win.

by Anonymousreply 11312/30/2012

And she went to seeming miscast on the surface to wiping out the idea of anyone else in the role. She's overdue a few Oscars really (especially here and "Dangerous Liasons").

by Anonymousreply 11412/30/2012

It's odd that I was looking at this stuff last night online. One thing YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS if you want to laugh, laugh, laugh, is Sly Stallone's lose in Rocky 1.

In it he goofs around, laughs, is smug, laughs again and when he finds out he lost, his face just goes absolutely blank and suddenly he has doll eyes and has blanched white. He thought he was a shoo-in. If I knew how to post a youtube here I'd do it, but I keep getting an error message.

by Anonymousreply 11512/30/2012

I saw Sally Kirkland's name in a teeney weeney walk-on role tonight when I saw the credits for The Way We Were roll. It must have been early in her career

by Anonymousreply 11612/30/2012

[quote]Paul McCartney was nominated in Best Song for Live And Let Die. McCartney jumped out of his seat when the winner was announced but soon sat down again when he realized the winner was Isaac Hayes for the theme from Shaft.

Not the same year at all.

"Live and Let Die", 1973

"Shaft", 1971

by Anonymousreply 11712/30/2012

Nothing in r102's post is correct r117. False memory or something but r102 ain't right.

by Anonymousreply 11812/30/2012

Turn in your gay card! Winner of Best Song in 1973 was The Way We Were!

by Anonymousreply 11912/30/2012

Midler wasn't playing Joplin!!! Arrrgh, hate when people say she wasn't convincing as Joplin - clearly they haven't watched the film.

She was a powerhouse in The Rose. Her jibes at Sally Field are good natured - in her awful sitcom there was a running joke about Sally Field being offered things before Bette/being present at something. They should have got her on the show.

by Anonymousreply 12012/30/2012

[quote]Eddie Murphy actually LEFT the ceremony when he didn't win for Dream Girls. Asshole.

Do you KNOW how boring it is to sit in the audience at an awards ceremony? Then imagine doing that as a publicly-declared loser, feeling like shit with the possibility you might have your loser face flashed around the world for more public humiliation (yes, they all pretend to be happy for the winner but really...!)

They have perfectly good seat-fillers to take your place.

by Anonymousreply 12112/30/2012

Collective response:

Sissy Spacek was never considered a beauty in the Hollywood way and is not matronly even now. A good looking woman, very.

Bette Midler did bemoan humorously about losing the Oscar but protested too much and too long, going on about the loss for the Rose (she never should have won) on so many talk show appearances for the next 30 years. Bette is always funny in her delivery if not in intent.

Glenn Close in Dangerous Liasons is one of the most incredible performances ever on film and I don't even know who was in the running but she should have won. She has many Meryl-like lifeless performances to her credit as well, but DL is better than anything Streep has ever done.

Jody Foster deserved her Oscar for Silence of the Lambs and it is tiresome to hear people say otherwise. All these old bitch queens who love Bette Davis out here and Jodie was close in that film with the Demme direction to Davis under Wyler.

Sissy Spacek is just great and special and when nominated for Crimes of the Heart, folks thought she was cute. She is so not a showy looking actress but look closer, she is both good and great. Her playing Babe is something to enjoy. I could watch her everyday.

Jessica Lange is the one who spent too many frustrated years on the farm.

Sally Kirkland was just too warn out which is sometimes different than playing warn out.

Michelle Pfeifer is one of the most underrated and unappreciated actresses of the last 30 years. Her performance in yes, What Lies Beneath is as good as anything in an Ingmar Bergman film. Yeah and she should have won supporting in Dangerous Liaisons too.

r120

Oh, I like Bette better than most of the guys out here, but why would she keep up the same grudgy "good natured" joke for thirty years. Trust me, she is pissed and resentful about not winning the Oscar. Her performance is a mix of Jagger and Tina Turner and most especially Stevie Nicks, but it will forever be seen as a weak Joplin. We all know Bette's sing song and saddy talk "acting" voice by now, and she was lucky to be nominated before she was found out.

Next time, I will write about the dudes.

by Anonymousreply 12212/30/2012

Here is Stallone's stunned response to losing best actor.

by Anonymousreply 12312/30/2012

[quote]Glenn Close in Dangerous Liasons is one of the most incredible performances ever on film and I don't even know who was in the running but she should have won.

Glenn lost to Jodie Foster ("The Accused"). Also in the running that year were Meryl Streep ("A Cry in the Dark"), Sigourney Weaver ("Gorillas in the Mist") and Melanie Griffith ("Working Girl"). Thank Christ Glenn didn't lose to Griffith, b/c that would've been painful after losing the previous year to Cher.

by Anonymousreply 12412/30/2012

Midler must have been on drugs the entire awards season in 1979. Sally Field was always going to win the Oscar; Bette made up the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 12512/30/2012

r124 - That was an incredibly tough year. Any of them could have won, even the usually execrable Melanie Griffith.

The first time I saw "The Accused", my reaction was "Meh". It took the third time seeing it that I saw how remarkable Jodie was in the movie. It's not a showy performance, but it could have been. She's subtle, but heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 12612/30/2012

r124

Thanks for the information. You only confirmed that Glenn should have won, but how in the hell did she not?

If you read my kinda long post, you know that I am a fan of Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs, but how did Glenn lose to her in The Accused ?

(no one should have to lose to Cher) r122

by Anonymousreply 12712/30/2012

Cher was wonderful in Moonstruck and deserved to win. As soon as she was announced, the entire audience leapt to their feet.

by Anonymousreply 12812/30/2012

Listen

Who doesn't like Cher as a personality and for once being the funkiest beauty around who sounded like Elvis. Cher is a cool fun and uniquely smart broad.

Plenty of undeserving Academy Award Winners, and she is one of them too.

I like her. But would never own a record of hers or a film, or see her in costume change concert.

She would be fun to hang with.

by Anonymousreply 12912/30/2012

[quote]Cher was wonderful in Moonstruck and deserved to win.

Please. That movie is so forgettable and stupid. I'd give Cher an Oscar for The Witches of Eastwick before I gave her one for Moonstruck (at least Eastwick was actually funny).

Glenn gave an amazing performance in Fatal Attraction, and she deserved to win. And I say this as a Cher fan.

by Anonymousreply 13112/30/2012

I like Binoche and all especially in Blue but she is considered 'the Julia Roberts of France'....so its kind of hilarious to see her overpraised as a thespian when her reputation is more of a crossover 'sellout' with a nice face in Europe. I didn't see or remember the Bacall movie so I have no opinion on who deserved to win. Both sides are a bit silly.

by Anonymousreply 13212/30/2012

Cissy Spacek was cute cute cute!

by Anonymousreply 13312/30/2012

Judy Davis looks cute cool and fun.

by Anonymousreply 13412/30/2012

I never liked Moonstruck either, but I will defend Cher as an actress. She's a lot better at acting than singing. It's her personality that's kept her career afloat. If she hadn't been a 70s tv icon, she would've ended up broke long ago.

by Anonymousreply 13512/30/2012

R120, from the wiki page for The Rose:

"...the story of a self-destructive 1960s rock star who struggles to cope with the constant pressures of her career..."

Okay. So if she wasn't playing Janis Joplin then, erm, why wasn't a Joplin character featured to authenticate the period? And wouldn't her character, Rose, have seemed just silly competing with Janis Joplin? So who was she?

The wiki page goes on to say (of course):

"The story is loosely based on the life of singer Janis Joplin. Originally titled Pearl, after Joplin's nickname, and the title of her last album, it was fictionalized after her family declined to allow the producers the rights to her story.[2] It was written by Bill Kerby, and Bo Goldman from a story by Bill Kerby..."

Bo Goldman. That script should've been A LOT better.

So yes, anyway, some of us did watch the film. It was shit.

by Anonymousreply 13612/30/2012

R132 is, of course, being ridiculous.

Also, if you're Italian-American, Moonstruck has a sort of built in appeal. And, even with that, it's still about 100x better than My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I mean, suck it haterz, Moonstruck is a decent film.

The thing about Cher's win is that she'd been around long enough to know a lot of the Academy members, her support came from the generational top on down. Which is only to say, that's why her win - which seemed very well deserved at the time - dated so quickly. And her interest waned. Plus, she did a ton of publicity that year, Moonstruck was one of three films she released that year plus she had a hit record out - it was a BIG year for her. AND she had her little "narrative" with the Academy that she'd been spinning for a few years.

Even without that, Moonstruck still holds up. It's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 14112/30/2012

Meryl has given several lifeless and downright shitty performances. Anyone who thinks PLENTY is a work of art is a total moron.

Your argument is null and void after posting such a stupid statement.

Now you can fuck off too, loon.

by Anonymousreply 14212/30/2012

Eat my shit Streep Troll!

by Anonymousreply 14312/30/2012

PLENTY aka The Hunt for the 3rd Oscar Continues...

by Anonymousreply 14612/30/2012

Meryl is THRILLED when they call out Cher's name. She's very loyal to her friends.

by Anonymousreply 14812/30/2012

Streep Troll, my friends in France say the opposite -- they're constantly making fun of Binoche.

Are you in France or a different country?

by Anonymousreply 14912/30/2012

[quote]I mean, suck it haterz, Moonstruck is a decent film.

"suck it haterz"???

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 15212/30/2012

Streep Troll, don't forget Binoche also did Dan in Real Life.

No need to be bitchy. And, please, I beg of you, stop saying that your opinion is fact. Because it's not.

by Anonymousreply 15312/30/2012

Her performance in PLENTY, to name one of a few, is the very definition of mannered and artificial.

AKA lifeless.

Katherine Hepburn said it best about Meryl's tendency to be too inauthentic.

When you make an actual point, other than posting just to read what you wrote, let us know. Till then, don't bother replying.

R143 he already eats Meryl's shit. I don't see why it would be a problem,

by Anonymousreply 15412/30/2012

OMG - can we please shut the fuck up about Juliette "Nobody Has Heard Of This Fucking Hag" Binoche?

by Anonymousreply 15512/30/2012

[quote] Katherine Hepburn said it best about Meryl's tendency to be too inauthentic.

That's sort of like hearing advice about safe driving from Evel Knievel.

by Anonymousreply 15812/30/2012

I remember the year Binoche won she walked the red carpet before the show(her outfit was not well received) Cunt Joan Rivers asked her to turn around while pretending to like her dress (Rivers later thrashed her on her show). Juliet hestitated but did it anyway and said 'I'm not a model'. She was utterly charming...

by Anonymousreply 16012/30/2012

Binoche has starred in several other "commercial" films that were all flops.

Dan In Real Life

Bee Season

Cosmopolis

by Anonymousreply 16112/30/2012

Dear dear R155 you don't know how stupid you are ,do you?

by Anonymousreply 16312/30/2012

Like always you are right Streep Troll, I was talking about the time Binoche wore something leather that made her look like a domatrix..

by Anonymousreply 16512/30/2012

Streep Troll, r153 here; don't confuse me with the one who compared her to Roberts, please!

I was just reporting that my (many) French friends like to mock Juliette and they tell me it's pretty common to mock her. So, to say that she's universally respected isn't quite true.

Having said that, j'adore La Binoche. She mops the floor with Roberts and Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 16612/30/2012

Bee Season and Cosmopolis are just as "commercial" as Chocolat. Only difference is they didn't make any money but Chocolat did.

by Anonymousreply 16712/30/2012

I’m as big a Streep AND Binoche fan as the next guy, and almost as devoted as you, the Streep troll, but dear, have you ever seen Jet Lag, the one Binoche made with Jean Reno? A very commercial, middle brow attempt at making a romantic comedy which could have been a perfect Julia Roberts’ vehicle. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 16812/30/2012

Is Elles any good?

by Anonymousreply 16912/30/2012

(R)162 that dress was epic. Joan rivers must have taken leave of her senses. ( looked like Vivienne Westwood?) She looked gorgeous. Rednecks wouldn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 17012/30/2012

M Streep, Quelle Salope! Cernes et yeux gonflés!

by Anonymousreply 17112/30/2012

RE: Glenn. Is it better to have won and be forgotten (Mira Sorvino) or to be the person everyone agrees should have won an Oscar? It seems like it keeps her in the public mind more than a win 35 years ago would have.

by Anonymousreply 17312/30/2012

Oh, and Streep Troll, I know you're a troll, but must you be so obnoxiously good at it?

by Anonymousreply 17412/30/2012

R173, not "everyone" thinks that the mannered, desperate, rather tasteless acting of Glenn Close ever deserved an Oscar. Not even for apparently convincing a majority of the audience she is not the model for the George Washington image on a two-bits coin.

by Anonymousreply 17512/30/2012

If I could disguise my disappointment at a travesty of voting oddities, these hacks should have.

When you're snubbed for the best performance in a film ever given by an actress, and the votes are cancelled across two other very good performances to accomplish - one of them great - you roll with it.

by Anonymousreply 17812/30/2012

[quote]Is Elles any good?

No, but Binoche is good.

The Streep Troll is the most ignorant piece of shit posting on DL.

by Anonymousreply 17912/30/2012

You ruined way too many threads on DL, you stupid cunt, for anyone to find you charming.

by Anonymousreply 18112/30/2012

Agreed R181

by Anonymousreply 18212/30/2012

To think that some people's lives revolve around obtaining a gold painted statue...

by Anonymousreply 18412/30/2012

There is no reason to be pissed at the Streep troll. It's delusions are clearly that. The idiocy it spouts is nothing more than amusing, if not redundant.

It's just a deranged fangirl clearly bitter over the fact that THE GREATEST has the same credentials as half the other actresses in her age range. Nothing more, nothing less.

by Anonymousreply 18512/30/2012

"in love with redundancy."

And we can clearly tell.

It's great that your adoration of Streep knows no limits. But at the end of the day your delusions are clearly that. But ignorance is bliss, so continue being blissful.

No hate. In fact, your posts on Streep and Binoche are amusing in their basic fangirl logic. This place can always use a good laugh.

I do miss the days when we had real trolls who knew what they were talking about, though.

by Anonymousreply 18712/30/2012

Utter bullshit. Not only because many of the "losing" nominees don't appear bitter at all but because by including Julie Christie's reaction when Marion Cotillard won - which far from being bitter seemed downright delighted - it just goes to show how offbase this compendium is.

by Anonymousreply 18812/30/2012

Heath Ledger was furious that he lost the Oscar for Brokeback Mountain. He played the good sport during the ceremony when they didn't call out his name, but he refused to speak to waiting media after the ceremony and he couldn't muster so much as a fake smile for reporters calling out his name.

by Anonymousreply 18912/30/2012

[quote] It's great that your adoration of Streep knows no limits. But at the end of the day your delusions are clearly that. But ignorance is bliss, so continue being blissful.

Testify, sister!

by Anonymousreply 19112/30/2012

[quote]Do you KNOW how boring it is to sit in the audience at an awards ceremony? Then imagine doing that as a publicly-declared loser, feeling like shit with the possibility you might have your loser face flashed around the world for more public humiliation (yes, they all pretend to be happy for the winner but really...!)

There are 16 acting nominees every year who walk away empty handed. All, bar Murphy, manage to show the good grace and class to remain in their seats while other categories are called. Everyone, except Eddie Murphy. I can't believe anyone is defending the classless, offensive and downright rude behavior of this piece of trash.

by Anonymousreply 19212/30/2012

r190, nerviosity, yes, but nerviosity is not the same as bitterness. And Christie is well known for not loving the Hollywood spotlight. She also may have been surprised, but that has nothing to do with bitterness either. The awards season may well have worked Christie's nerves.

by Anonymousreply 19312/30/2012

Not to mention that her smile and cheer show she was in fact delighted for Cotillard. Of course Christie is one of our greatest actresses so she could have been manufacturing her happiness. But I doubt very much she would have cared to put on a ruse of delight if she didn't really feel it. Christie doesn't have a pretentious bone in her body.

by Anonymousreply 19412/30/2012

[quote] Christie's reaction clearly reflects nervosity on her part. Nervosity, irritation and surprise (at having lost).

So you actually know Julie Christie and know what is her head, Meryl loon? Once again, the Meryl loon is full of shit.

[quote]nerviosity, yes, but nerviosity is not the same as bitterness. And Christie is well known for not loving the Hollywood spotlight. She also may have been surprised, but that has nothing to do with bitterness either. The awards season may well have worked Christie's nerves.

I totally agree. Christie did not do much in the way of campaigning. She seemed grateful to be there but in no way bitter.

[quote]I've got my supporters here on DL,

No you don't.

[quote]I'm in Switzerland.

No you aren't.

Another thread ruined by the Meryl loon, I think it's time to ban it at this point. Most of what it writes is superficial garbage.

by Anonymousreply 19512/30/2012

The Meryl loon keeps crawling further and further up its own asshole. Julie Christie works when she wants to, takes smaller roles that interest her or parts where she can work with friends (most recently Redford).

[quote]I don't call that 'being pretentious', though. She is British, after all, and manners mean everything to them.

You have never been to England have you Meryl loon?

by Anonymousreply 19712/30/2012

I hate the faux humble act that Juliette Binoche put on when she walked up to accept her award; pretending she expected Bacall to win. How embarrassing for Lauren Bacall. What a clod that Binoche is.

by Anonymousreply 19912/30/2012

[quote]Katherine Hepburn said it best about Meryl's tendency to be too inauthentic.

Coming from someone played a variation on the same role for 35 years.

The next person who uses the word "mannered" to describe an actor or actress should be permanently banned from DL.

BTW, I love the Streep Troll.

by Anonymousreply 20012/30/2012

It does not speak for me. And it debases the name it applies to itself. But I am not litigious.

And I always send all the other actresses fruit baskets when I win an Oscar. I have a volume discount. But no one ever sent me one, after 14 losses between and before the wins. Cher sent me something, but since it is not legal in most states, I shall not describe it. It was appreciated.

And, for the record, they ALL are pretty. Well, Betty Bacall WAS pretty. And they ALL - me included - were disappointed to lose. And in a world where I share the pinnacle of Oscar success with Walter Brennan's three awards, it really is pointless to yammer about worthiness. We're worthy because we win. We're worthy because we're nominated. And we're worthy because we're not nominated. It's an industry of fucking worthiness.

But if anyone can quiet this pointless exchange, I would appreciate it. Really, people in group homes should have their internet use supervised.

by Anonymousreply 20212/30/2012

Binoche's surprise at winning was genuine. Bacall was the raging favourite.

by Anonymousreply 20412/30/2012

Oh please, r201, it was completely graceless on her part to call out Bacall like that. And Bacall did not look pleased, rightfully so.

by Anonymousreply 20512/30/2012

And won four oscars for it R200.

Some advice to the posters here. If you want to critique Hepburn, stop resorting to the tired and redundant. It sounds boring, and you most likely are too.

Anything else you want to add? Perhaps something intelligent?

I didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 20612/30/2012

[quote] I do know I have my supporters on DL.

fewer each time you post

by Anonymousreply 20712/30/2012

Can we please refocus on the actual subject matter of the thread, and not let it collapse completely to feed the insatiable need for attention of the Meryl Streep loon?

There are more women who have won the Oscar besides Streep, Hepburn, Roberts and Binoche. For fuck's sake, can we please talk about ALL of them, or ANY of them?

by Anonymousreply 20812/30/2012

[quote] And won four oscars for it

So what? Hilary Swank and Tom Hanks each have 2 Oscars. It means nothing.

by Anonymousreply 20912/30/2012

[quote]If you want to critique Hepburn, stop resorting to the tired and redundant. It sounds boring, and you most likely are too.

r206 - Then stop bringing up that tired and redundant old story about KH saying is inauthentic, click, click, click, etc. Now that is boring and wrong. You people quote it like it's gospel truth.

I love KH but she had a very limited range. She was great at what she did, but not very versatile.

by Anonymousreply 21112/30/2012

There's a reason Dorothy Parker described Katherine Hepburn as running the gamut from A to B.

Which reminds me, the magnificent Alexandra Billings does a mean Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 21212/30/2012

Agree with the poster that said it would be nice if the Meryl troll (TM) and Binoche troll would GIVE IT A FUCKING REST.

I seem to remember, when Jodie Foster lost supporting actress for Taxi Driver, and Beatrice Straight (RIP) won for, like, 9 minutes in Network, Jodie's reaction was laughter. Not snotty laughter, but rather, WFT? laughter.

IF I remember correctly. (Long time ago - '79?)

by Anonymousreply 21312/30/2012

Interesting how a determined thread killer can infest a thread until no tactic is sufficient to remove it. We wonder at insanity, but can only step around the crazy.

BUT here's a little something.

by Anonymousreply 21612/30/2012

I don't see Jodie laughing. The others -- Jane Alexander, Lee Grant and Piper Laurie -- seem thrilled by Beatrice's win:

by Anonymousreply 21712/30/2012

It's a shame we can't have actual discussions on any sort of Oscar-related thread anymore.

by Anonymousreply 21812/30/2012

Now, check out Rosie Perez and Winona Ryder when Gene Hackman (who prefaces with an appropriate comment) announces Anna Paquin's name:

by Anonymousreply 21912/30/2012

R217, how do you link to YouTube and pause at the certain point in the clip?

by Anonymousreply 22012/30/2012

[quote]It's a shame we can't have actual discussions on any sort of Oscar-related thread anymore.

The Streep troll is more than a little tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 22112/30/2012

r220, below the video is the word "Share"; when you click on that, you get a box with the link as well as an option to link it at a specific time in the video; select the time you want and check the option box.

by Anonymousreply 22212/30/2012

You wanna see pissed? While Lorraine Bracco appears mildly upset, Diane Ladd is practically shooting daggers at Denzel Washington when he announces Whoopi Goldberg is the winner:

by Anonymousreply 22312/30/2012

Thank you, R222!

by Anonymousreply 22412/30/2012

But what about Juliette Binoche's FLAVAH!?

by Anonymousreply 22512/30/2012

Things were going along nicely until r121's post claiming Streep's performances were "lifeless". That's just patently absurd and invites a response, usually invoking the Streep Troll.

What do you expect when you say stupid things?

by Anonymousreply 22612/30/2012

Oh, and then the Hepburn troll shows up and invokes the "click, click, click" meme and we're off and runnin'.

by Anonymousreply 22712/30/2012

There is nothing even slightly bitchy about Diane Ladd's reaction to Whoopi winning. I click on some of these links expecting bitchiness and get disappointed. Boo.

by Anonymousreply 22812/31/2012

If you say something negative about a black person doesn't make you racist...

by Anonymousreply 23012/31/2012

[quote]if you say something negative about a black person doesn't make you racist...

But making racist comments about that person does.

NEXT!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 23112/31/2012

This let's bitch about actresses thing shows those engaging in it to be sad little men.

by Anonymousreply 23201/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.