Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bill Murray is whoring for Oscar

The normally reclusive actor was on Letterman tonight to promote his new FDR movie that's getting awful reviews. Letterman must have talked about his Oscar chances three or four times in the interview like he was getting paid to do so. You could almost see Murray's publicist standing by the stage whispering in Letterman's ear. What an embarrassment.

by Annie Hathawayreply 3012/29/2012

Bill Murray is kind of an old crone now but was hot stuff back in the day. I wonder if anybody ever fucked his ass.

by Annie Hathawayreply 112/29/2012

Murray can be a very good actor, I would like to see him get some recognition for his best work.

Still, I can't bring myself to be interested in his FDR movie. And I'm fascinated by the Roosevelts.

by Annie Hathawayreply 212/29/2012

Letterman is just a lazy, clueless interviewer who's been running on automatic pilot for decades. His lack of preparation for his guest interviews borders on arrogance - he just wants to get [italic]his[/italic] show over with and doesn't care about what his guests may be there to promote.

Bill Murray's performance in the film has been universally praised despite many reviewers' mixed feelings about the film itself so Letterman probably thought he was doing Murray and the film a favor by belaboring the point.

As I said, he's a clueless and lazy interviewer.

by Annie Hathawayreply 312/29/2012

Bill Murray has always creeps me out.

by Annie Hathawayreply 412/29/2012

I loved Bill Murray in his best days. He was so cool. His current creepy old man film persona seems real. I liked him much better than Aykroyd.

True story I've told before on Datalounge. My partner's cousins have a niche sort of agricultural business in California. Dan Akroyd came to buy a few things. They got to talking and mentioned their daughter wanted to be a screenwriter (or something show bizzy). Aykroyd invited the family to his house to talk with the daughter about the film industry. The whole family went down there and spent the day together with Aykroyd and his wife. They said GE couldn't have been nicer. It was around the time he was trying to get a Ghostbusters game going, but was having trouble getting Murray to go along with it. Eventually, it became a huge moneymaker for all the ghostbusters people who were involved.

Changed my opinion of both Aykroyd and Murray.

by Annie Hathawayreply 512/29/2012

At least a few big stars, like Cher & Oprah, used to be hesitate to go on Letterman's show because he was perfectly willing to make fun of a guest who said something awkward or was somehow losing the audience. I'm surprised more celebs didn't boycott him for that. Sure he'd be friendly if he was in the mood, but the interview could go bad fast. I guess that unpredictability is part of why the show became popular. I liked it in the 80s, but burnt out on him a long time ago. He doesn't seem particularly intelligent and certainly not very nice.

by Annie Hathawayreply 612/29/2012

[quote]Letterman must have talked about his Oscar chances three or four times in the interview like he was getting paid to do so.

Congratulations, OP, for getting your first television and seeing a talk-show for the first time. This is why actors and actress appear on talk shows, and why talk shows exist.

As you may be watching television sometime again in the future, let me tell you that this is how it works, and has, since the days of Steve Allen and Jack Parr. (you may want someone to "google" those names for you.)

by Annie Hathawayreply 712/29/2012

Universally praised? Many critics have panned his performance. Here's just a small sampling of review snippets from the first two pages of RottenTomatoes.

The movie hinges on Murray's turn as FDR, and frankly, he comes up wanting. He looks and sounds nothing like the man, and barely makes an effort to rectify that.

Bill Murray tries mightily to slide into the role of a great man, but it's not a comfortable fit.

Even if this weren't a year when Daniel Day Lewis' turn as Abraham Lincoln was thrilling audiences and critics alike, this performance wouldn't rank among Murray's most memorable work.

Murray gives a cartoonish performance and the film has no focus.

I wish I could say that Bill Murray's performance as FDR was so wonderful it transcended the material, but the truth is that Murray's character never fully emerges from the fog.

by Annie Hathawayreply 812/29/2012

R5, who is GE?

by Annie Hathawayreply 912/29/2012

I call bullshit, R7. Unlike other hosts, Letterman is (or was) usually immune to assisting actors with their Oscar whoring.

by Annie Hathawayreply 1012/29/2012

Letterman and Leno are older than my parents.

by Annie Hathawayreply 1112/29/2012

Bill Murray's best chance was with Lost in Translation, even though he's really good in a number of other movies (particularly Rushmore).

by Annie Hathawayreply 1212/29/2012

I am not alone in thinking that Murray's inturpration of a flod FDR is superior to Daniel Day Lewis' saintly portrait of Lincon. That is why Murray is superior. His character has floz.

by Annie Hathawayreply 1312/29/2012

Bill Murray was really pissed when he lost to Sean Penn a few years back

by Annie Hathawayreply 1412/29/2012

Now you've done it, R13! You've mentioned the "ack-tor's ack-tor".

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

by Annie Hathawayreply 1512/29/2012

Bill, don't go! We still love you!

by Annie Hathawayreply 1612/29/2012

Bill Murray would have to do something noticeably actory like lose 50 kilos or cross dress to win. The fact that he's good in parts like Steve Zissou, where he played a guy who's basically a prick but he has so much charisma and history you don't hate him, or saves a pretty crummy movie like Lost in Translation through his ability to improvise, doesn't seem to mean much to voters. In that sense, he's in the same boat as a lot of actors, but it's definitely more difficult for comedic actors.

Like I said before, he had more momentum around Lost in Translation, so if he didn't win for that I can't see him winning as FDR.

by Annie Hathawayreply 1712/29/2012

r17, but it is generally understood that some actors receive Oscars not because of the role they are nominated for that year but for a previous role they didn't win in the past.

by Annie Hathawayreply 1812/29/2012

I can't stand Billy Murray but R16 brings up something that always bothered me. Billy Crystal was such a PRICK to Murray that year at the Oscars. A major, major PRICK.

by Annie Hathawayreply 1912/29/2012

Besides being a dick, Billy Crystal was also out of touch with voters. Johnny Depp won the SAG that year and was probably a much bigger challenger to Penn than Murray was at that point. Yeah, after 900 horrible sequels, Jack Sparrow is a tired character now but at the time, it was a heralded performance that picked up a crapload of of steam with voters as the Oscars approached. One more month and Depp might damn well have emerged as the "surprise" winner.

by Annie Hathawayreply 2012/29/2012

What did he do/say R19?

by Annie Hathawayreply 2112/29/2012

There's no contest Murray vs Crystal, Crystal is a complete waste of skin. Without bad taste, he would've been washed up decades ago.

by Annie Hathawayreply 2212/29/2012

Billy was pissed that the academy didn't nominate him for Best Actor for his pet project. Especially after he had been termed with saving the awards show. The movie netted a supporting actor nomination but nothing for Crystal, who took it as a personal insult. It's said to be the real reason as to why he didn't return the following few years to host.

I doubt he was pissed with Murray. He probably just wanted to cheer him up.

by Annie Hathawayreply 2312/29/2012

I see, so Crystal was just taking a brave stand for nepotism. And he'll be furious with them again when they fail to honor his hackneyed, borscht-belt comedy stylings in Parental Guidance.

by Annie Hathawayreply 2412/29/2012

Crystal clearly wasn't pissed at Murray. He was just insensitive as all fuck for calling him out in front of the world 2 minutes after he lost.

by Annie Hathawayreply 2512/29/2012

[quote]They said GE couldn't have been nicer.

There is no one with those initials in your post R5.

by Annie Hathawayreply 2612/29/2012

GE brings good things to life, what's nicer than that?

by Annie Hathawayreply 2712/29/2012

[quote]His character has floz.

Really? No one's going to touch this one?

by Annie Hathawayreply 2812/29/2012

Amazingly enough, Murray is on the cover of the latest GQ, which is a sure indicator his publicist has run amok.

by Annie Hathawayreply 2912/29/2012

Murray can whore all he wants for this film, but it will do no good. The film's mostly crap, and Murray is not great either. And I love him as an actor.

To boot, that Best Actor category is full up. No room for a hand job-loving FDR.

by Annie Hathawayreply 3012/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.