Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What Have You Bought Off Of TV?

An infomercial for some piece of tat calling itself "nutritious" was on as I channel surfed.

I've never bought anything that qualifies for the "as seen on tv" label. My partner bought The Salad Shooter (or maybe it was the Salad Spinner?)

Have you ever bought a Ginsu knife or a Fishin Magician?

A Flobee Haircutter? Ornamental ice?

by Ron Popeilreply 9301/12/2013

Damn, I miss my mom. She used to buy that shit all the time. She was also addicted to the shopping network channels. She died of complications of dementia/alzheimers, but dayum, she was always so excited about that shit she bought from those TV shysters.

Fuck them for ripping her off, but bless their hearts for bringing her a bit of joy. The fuckers.

by Ron Popeilreply 112/29/2012

Bose waveradios. Dozens of them.

by Ron Popeilreply 212/29/2012

I bought a soloflex and a vitamixmaster. Now I weigh 400 pounds

by Ron Popeilreply 312/29/2012

I always wished someone would buy me the Clapper at christmas just to see if it worked. I wouldn't spend my own money on it,

by Ron Popeilreply 412/29/2012

i bought a Willie Mays beard trimmer.

by Ron Popeilreply 512/29/2012

I bought a pair of white tennis shorts when HSN began in the '80s. When they arrived, they were blue with pockets so small a tennis ball would never fit in them.

THANK GOD... Never ordered a thing from them or any other again. Saved myself much agony, I am sure. Just now trying out ebay, ha.

by Ron Popeilreply 612/29/2012

Does everyone over 40 have a George Forman grill?

by Ron Popeilreply 712/29/2012

Can anyone explain why suddenly everyone has Montel Williams hawking their shit? I couldn't stand the self righteous jerk when he had his own show but now he seems to be everywhere and willing to sell anything and I do mean anything cause he's schilling for some dubious stuff.

by Ron Popeilreply 812/29/2012

I bought a thigh master, never really used it. I bought a George Forman grill for a bunch of people, who raved about it.

I bought a sealed sandwich maker thing that sealed the sandwich. It was okay. It just used regular bread and sealed it.

I bought one of those multipurpose blenders that was a food processer and blender, but I didn't use it because the blades were soooo sharp. My sister used it, but stopped because she almost cut herself with the blade, when she tried to clean it.

by Ron Popeilreply 912/29/2012

I bought a small vacuum cleaner, called the Euro-pro, and it works fine, but it is just not worth the price I paid for it. I made up my mind to never order anything from an infomercial again.

Then a couple of years ago, they advertised a set of knives which just seemed to be such a good deal, almost too good to be true, so I called to order it. I was on the phone for at least 15 minutes with the woman trying to sell me additional merchandise. I kept telling her "No, I am not an impulse buyer, I carefully made the decision to order the knives, but that is all that I am going to buy." I got so aggravated that I told her that I am not going to listen to this anymore, just send me the knives, and she said that she is required to give me the opportunity to buy all this other merchandise before she could process my order. And I told her that I am certainly not required to listen to it, and hung up. I never got the knives, but no charge was ever put on my credit card, so I consider that I was fortunate.

by Ron Popeilreply 1012/29/2012

I can't remember a lot except this album in 1992, The Ultimate Party Album, an early entry in the 90s disco revival.

by Ron Popeilreply 1112/29/2012

No, because I'm not a moron.

by Ron Popeilreply 1312/29/2012

I bought a Ninja food processor and GT express cooking thing. Yes I saw them on TV but bought both on Amazon for about half the price. Before you buy anything directly from an infomercial check with Amazon because even those items I did not buy but considered were much cheaper there.

by Ron Popeilreply 1412/29/2012

I went online to order a Ped Egg. They "threw in" a second one for the same price, but of course they charged me twice for shipping and handling which costs twice as much as the damn egg. They also didn't give you a review screen. As soon as you hit "order" it processed the whole thing and you had to pay whether you wanted to or not. That's how they get you. Charge a fortune for S&H.

by Ron Popeilreply 1512/29/2012

Yeah, who buys this stuff they adverstise as $19.99 + shipping and handing? But wait they throw in another one FREE! Just pay seperate shipping and handling and the 20 buck order ends up $60. It's nutz but these companies clean up. Just wait a while and they'll have them at Walmart or any drugtore.

by Ron Popeilreply 1612/29/2012

[quote]Just wait a while and they'll have them at Walmart or any drugtore.

Right. CVS has a whole aisle of these things. I was looking for something and I asked this cute saleskid where it was. He took me to that aisle and picked up the shake-weight thing that looks like a little dumbbell. He started playing with it in front of me (jerking it up and down) and half-smiling at me. "Is this what you were looking for?" Hmmmm. No, but now that you mention it.

by Ron Popeilreply 1712/29/2012

Ped Eggs are fabulous!

by Ron Popeilreply 1812/29/2012

My partner is a sucker for online cleaning products. We had Oxyclean, multiple mops, and other cleansers that I cannot recall the names. He even bought the Sham-Wow several years ago when Vince was hawking it.

Even now sometimes wake up at 3am with the TV on and him watching the multitude of Billy Mays successors. Step away from the remote, dear. Go back to sleep.

by Ron Popeilreply 1912/29/2012

Wireless TV headphones that didn't work and were sent back.

So I got to pay shipping and had the hassle of going to the post office.

by Ron Popeilreply 2012/29/2012

Oxyclean is just hydrogen peroxide.

And I bought a GT express. It sucks, unless you get the fancy one. The simple one has no temp control, so it'll burn everything. It works OK if you're making a pancake but it over cooks or burns everything else.

by Ron Popeilreply 2112/29/2012

I have a Flo Bee hair cutting system in the back of my closet in the box it came in. I took it out once and got it attached to the vacuum cleaner and really tried to use it on my hair but I chickened out.

One of these days I am going to do it now that I usually just get a very close haircut every few months. There isn't much I can fuck up by using the FB. Might as well get my $$$'s worth.

by Ron Popeilreply 2212/29/2012

[quote]I always wished someone would buy me the Clapper at christmas just to see if it worked.

My mom put one on the bedside lamp in her guest bedroom which is across the hall from the laundry room. Every time the washer changed cycles the clapper turned the light on (or off). She finally unplugged "the crapper" as she called it and stuck it in a drawer.

by Ron Popeilreply 2412/29/2012

R4. Years ago I bought a Clapper and it actually worked. The house I lived in had the washer/dryer in the basement and the light fixture was out of reach and full of spider webs so the Clapper worked great.

by Ron Popeilreply 2512/29/2012

Have some Ginsu knives my folks bought in the late 70s. Still sharp too!

by Ron Popeilreply 2612/29/2012

Not a thing, ever. I may have learned to read and write from watching TV ads, but have never been tempted to express my gratitude by way of lining the pockets of Messrs. Ron Popeil, George Foreman, Anthony Sullivan, or Barry Diller.

by Ron Popeilreply 2712/29/2012

Sometimes I go to 'Big Lots' and I see a lot the TV stuff for a lot less than it is on TV. The only thing I bought was that foot cleaner/scrubber thing for the shower.

by Ron Popeilreply 2812/29/2012

I'm intrigued by the device that sucks wax out of your ears. I wonder if it really works?

by Ron Popeilreply 2912/29/2012

I wanted one of those frying pan thingies to make pancakes with cut up hot dog pieces in it, that the hostess says are a smash hit with her grandchildren!

by Ron Popeilreply 3012/29/2012

R29, me too. Go buy one & let us know.

by Ron Popeilreply 3112/29/2012

[quote]I'm intrigued by the device that sucks wax out of your ears. I wonder if it really works?

The ad for that device is hilarious, with the man sticking the cotton swab into his ear and screaming with pain.

by Ron Popeilreply 3212/29/2012

My sister once got a mega ear infection while backpacking and by the time she stumbled out of the hills, her ear canal was a spurting goopy mess.

The MD who treated her had a little vacuum cleaner like in the ad and quickly sucked away all the goop and found the source of the infection. He squirted a few drops ("the heavenly drops" she called them) in there to kill the pain and treat the infection, and she was done.

The little pump on TV looks like a cheap plastic version of the ER one, and probably has no real suction.

by Ron Popeilreply 3312/29/2012

I could use one of those instant button sewing kits they used to advertise (in rotation with the Popeil Pocket Fisherman). I seem to recall that we had some of those classical music albums, though I don't think I'd recognize the Polyvetsian Dance #3 by Borodin today! Ha Ha!

by Ron Popeilreply 3412/29/2012

My dad always told me to remember, nothing you buy will ever be worth even a fraction fo the S&H. The S&H is how they make their millions. The shitty products cost them next to nothing.

by Ron Popeilreply 3512/29/2012

[quote]Ped Eggs are fabulous!

Ped Eggs sound like something child molesters would lay in playgrounds.

by Ron Popeilreply 3612/29/2012

I used to have a "Smart Clapper" which could control two devices. It pretty much sucked. Any time I'd open/close a DVD case, the lights would go on/off. I really only wanted the clapper to turn the light off after I got into bed, but you have to clap SO FUCKING LOUD that it kind of jars you out of that peaceful sleep-ready mode!

I've owned a Total Gym before (bought it off Craigslist for $150) and it was fun, but isn't a replacement for a real gym by any means.

Suzanne Somer's Torso Trak was a piece of shit.

by Ron Popeilreply 3712/29/2012

I bought a few of the items already Ped Egg, Slap Chop. Ped Egg was gross as the dead skin flew everywhere and looked liked Parmesan cheese. The slap chop worked although I never did increase my veggie intake as planned.

My favorite purchase and one that I swear by was the rubber broom that some woman named Joyce Mango hawked. It actually worked! It's no longer available but The Container Store sells a similar broom, just not as sturdy.

by Ron Popeilreply 3912/29/2012

A Snuggie.

by Ron Popeilreply 4012/29/2012

You can get most of this stuff at retail stores - check out Wal-Mart and Target, they often have a whole end-cap display.

I bought a Clapper as a joke for my BF, and it actually worked for a while but then would go on and off at unpredictable times, no clapping necessary.

But I love those little battery-operated push-button lights, they're really handy in closets and storage areas.

by Ron Popeilreply 4112/29/2012

R39 did you not attach the grate to the "egg"?

No reason for dead skin to be flying.

No gadget my pedicurist ever employed could do the job of the Ped Egg. I always use this before I go to get a pedicure.

by Ron Popeilreply 4212/29/2012

I did attach the egg to the grate as well as do the 'grating' over a trash can. There was more residual left in the trash can than the egg. Maybe I wasn't doing it right but it just didn't work the way I thought it would.

I forgot to list in my original post that I bought the Ninja. Love it and use it all time. I did by it in BB&B but had seen it on TV.

I'd also be interested if anyone ever bought the Ronco food dehydrator well you could make your own beef jerky, turkey jerky, and dehydrated fruit.

by Ron Popeilreply 4312/29/2012

Tony Robbins CDs

I also bought the NADS hair removal system which was total crap.

Taebo DVDs

by Ron Popeilreply 4412/29/2012

OMG I forgot about Nads! That shit made me bleed. There was a reason they did close-ups of the hair removal process, never showing the models face as he/she was writhing in pain!

Also bought the Tony Robbins CD's off QVC one time...copied them & then sent them back.

by Ron Popeilreply 4512/29/2012

R43 I don't know if it was Ronco, but my BF bought a food dehydrator that made some of the best jerky I have ever et, and I have et a lot.

I imagine the Ronco was a good-enough product.

by Ron Popeilreply 4612/29/2012

About 20 years ago I ordered a 2 CD Disco compilation from the "70s preservation society" that was a good value.

Some years later I ordered a worthless rubber rake/squeegee broom thingee with a telescope handle Jenilee Harrison enthusiastically hawked on an infomercial.

In the early 2000s I spent about $140 on a shit ass steam cleaner from HSN or QVC. I thought, cool I could walk around and sanitize my floors, bathroom, windows, or what have you clean with what was essentially this steam waterpik (with a thousand attachments) and forgo having to use harsh cleaning chemicals on a regular basis.

A neighbor friend borrowed it and dropped and broke it before I had it a month. I didn't even try out all the hose attachments. It was just as well, as I wasn't impressed with its piddly spray action in the least on the two occasions that I used it.

by Ron Popeilreply 4712/29/2012

Has anyone tried the "NoNo"? Does it hurt to use? They say it's painless, but didn't the say that about Nads, too?

by Ron Popeilreply 4812/29/2012

Has anyone bought any of the skin-tag products?

by Ron Popeilreply 4912/29/2012

I also ordered a pain relief gadget from an infomercial in 1996 called The Stimulator that Lee Meriweather endorsed. I still have it. It's a little black snapper that that looks like a car cigarette lighter charger plug. You snap it at whatever body part that ails you and it magically stimulates your chakras to zero in on and thus eliminate pain and soreness. (Uh huh)

by Ron Popeilreply 5012/29/2012

About 2 years ago I finally bought a George Foreman grill. Love it, cooks burgers & steaks as well as any outdoor grill.

Problem well it's a bitch to clean, so I don't use it anymore.

The hard boiled egg cooker sans shell intrigues me though...

by Ron Popeilreply 5112/29/2012

I also bought one of those steam cleaners off of QVC. I thought it would be great for cleaning my stainless steel Viking stove. All it did was dribble scalding water over everything, making a big mess. I was just about to unplug it when the tip shot off and flew across the room almost hitting my bf in the face. We both screamed and sent it back before it disfigured us both.

by Ron Popeilreply 5212/29/2012

Before buying any of this stuff, it's always s good idea to do a Google search for reviews. Ignore the whores who post glowing reviews on their own blogs because the distributor sent them a freebie.

by Ron Popeilreply 5312/29/2012

Don't get the egg cooker, r51. I got one (at Walgreens, NOT off the TV) and it was worthless. Took forever to prepare the egg for cooking, then took the same amount of time to boil as a regular egg in the shell. And on top of that, the end result was lopsided so you couldn't even made decent-looking deviled eggs with them. And it only made 4 at a time (if I'm hard-boiling eggs to make deviled eggs for a party, I need to boil at least a dozen at one time). Returned it the next day.

by Ron Popeilreply 5412/29/2012

I bought some Handi-Off because I love Victoria Jackson so much. It didn't work.

by Ron Popeilreply 5512/30/2012

I read reviews of the No-No and almost everyone said it's terrible and save your money.

by Ron Popeilreply 5612/30/2012

R56 Yeah, that's the exact product that prompted my post at R53. I had no interest in buying the damn thing, but I thought I'd check out some unbiased reviews. Pretty much uniformly terrible, as you said.

by Ron Popeilreply 5712/30/2012

All these stuff is just crap you can make yourself. Nads is just sugar, people have been using sugaring to remove hair for centuries.

Oxyclean is H2O2

Skin tag removers are all basically just tying dental floss around it and zap...

And none of them actually work. Just like white vinegar does shit, so do these products made from it.

If it was any good a REAL company would come along and have marketed it the traditional way.

by Ron Popeilreply 5812/30/2012

R49 - The reviews for the skin tag stuff on Amazon indicate that the stuff doesn't work but I have a friend who has had luck using clear nail polish on skin tags.

by Ron Popeilreply 5912/31/2012

I gave my nephews The Clapper at Christmas. They love 'em.

by Ron Popeilreply 6012/31/2012

Skin tags are formed with a bad immune system.

by Ron Popeilreply 6112/31/2012

[quote]I also bought one of those steam cleaners off of QVC. I thought it would be great for cleaning my stainless steel Viking stove. All it did was dribble scalding water over everything, making a big mess. I was just about to unplug it when the tip shot off and flew across the room almost hitting my bf in the face. We both screamed and sent it back before it disfigured us both.

Well, if all it did was dribble scalding water over everything, making a big mess and then tip shot off and flew across the room, you obviously set it up wrong. I'll go out on a limb and assume you and your beloved aren't brain surgeons.

by Ron Popeilreply 6201/01/2013

I bought a Ninja blender and it worked very well. I did almost cut my finger off washing it. The blades are like razors. Be careful. I have bought several knife sharpeners, but none have really worked. I agree with earlier posters to google the product for reviews before you buy them.

by Ron Popeilreply 6301/01/2013

"I gave my nephews The Clapper at Christmas. They love 'em."

Then I daresay, sir or madam, your nephews are "slow."

Good day to you .. I SAID GOOD DAY!

by Ron Popeilreply 6401/01/2013

I ordered a "live" Seahorse from the back of a comic book once.

by Ron Popeilreply 6501/01/2013

Never bought anything off of TV. But I own a snuggie and I picked up those little 'Moving Men' thingees a while back. They worked well, I was sliding my dresser drawers all over the place.

by Ron Popeilreply 6601/01/2013

I have those "Moving Men" things too and they work great. I can just slide my sofa around with ease. But I bought them at Home Depot because I wanted to see them first and not order from TV. So, some of that stuff on TV actually does work.

by Ron Popeilreply 6701/01/2013

[quote] I'm hard-boiling eggs to make deviled eggs for a party,

Grandma? Are you alive again?

by Ron Popeilreply 6801/01/2013

Begone R68 .... deviled eggs are awesome.

by Ron Popeilreply 6901/01/2013

Deviled eggs are cholesterol-laden, fart-making, fat-bombs. But they are popular with the line dancing crowd.

by Ron Popeilreply 7001/01/2013

I bought (and love) that thing that chops onions, etc. that goes on the countertop. You still have to peel the onions before you chop them, but one push of the lid and you get lots of diced onions right away with no tears and little labor.

It can be a bit of a bitch to clean, but it sure beats spending time chopping onions and crying...

by Ron Popeilreply 7101/01/2013

I bought the Orgreenic pan. That's the one that's green and non-stick. I have to say it's great. Nothing sticks to it. But I always hand-wash it (dishwasher will certainly pock the surface), and always use plastic utensils when working with the pan. You don't have to use grease, really. But I always spray some Pam on it anyway. It's a good product, well-made.

by Ron Popeilreply 7201/01/2013

R71, hottie chef Michael Chiarello swears by that tool. I also hate chopping garlic.

by Ron Popeilreply 7301/01/2013

About 6 years ago I bought these things called Smart Lidz: clear, rigid disks things that you'd put over a bowl to preserve your food. You push down on this stretchy middle part and it was supposed to create a vacuum and seal to the bowl. They would slowly lose the suction over time. Pure garbage.

I can attest to being way overcharged for shipping - I was outraged when I saw it was $10. I ordered over a webpage - you don't see the total charges until after you hit the ORDER button. I was pissed and tried to cancel right away. There's a phone number to call on the website but you an never get through. Returning that crap would have cost me more money, so I kept them. They're still on top of my kitchen cabinet.

I never bought another thing off the TV. I was tempted by that Tag Away stuff though....

by Ron Popeilreply 7401/01/2013

R74, the clue was "ORDER NOW AND WE'LL DOUBLE IT!...just pay shipping and handling."

Well, the handling is basically the cost of the original order. Who would have thought?

by Ron Popeilreply 7501/01/2013

Why are there so many Australians hawking this shit? Has market research been done showing that the stupidest people in the Americas believe anything an Australian says?

by Ron Popeilreply 7601/01/2013

I didn't buy it off tv but I did but the vacuum bags where you are supposed to put your clothing in a bag, suck out all the air and the bag becomes very thin, perfect for storing in mass numbers under the bed. Ha. Yeah, it started to lose suction about a minute after I put all my winter clothes in bags.

So I waited about two hours and took my now-extremely-wrinkled clothes out of the fully suction-free bags.

by Ron Popeilreply 7701/01/2013

My mother bought me a Snuggli that works very well on cold winter days, especially since my BF likes to freeze us out in winter to try to save a few bucks in heating costs.

I laughed when I saw it but I don't laugh anymore.

by Ron Popeilreply 7801/01/2013

So do the Space Bags work or not? Good idea if they do work. Anyone have some success with them?

by Ron Popeilreply 7901/01/2013

[quote]Why are there so many Australians hawking this shit? Has market research been done showing that the stupidest people in the Americas believe anything an Australian says?

When I worked in timeshare sales (don't hate me!) a majority of the most successful salespeople spoke with foreign accents. I think a foreign accent draws people in, and they are somehow trusted more. In a way it puts the buyer in a bit of a trance.

by Ron Popeilreply 8001/01/2013

Space Bags are fantastic.

My BF's overseas relatives often request we bring some when we visit.

by Ron Popeilreply 8101/01/2013

I'm watching a wraptastic commercial right now. I want two of them. $10.99 for two plus you pay $6.99 shipping and handling twice. $24.97 for two of them? I don't think so. Good idea but way too expensive.

by Ron Popeilreply 8201/01/2013

Lol r24, my brother installed the clapper in his house because his kids kept leaving the lights on. It worked great except when the dog barked it turned the lights on and off.

by Ron Popeilreply 8301/01/2013

I once bought a girdle off of a tv. I gave it to my mother for Christmas.

by Ron Popeilreply 8401/01/2013

Has anyone bought StoneDine cookware, peddled by the queeny pitchman with the grating New Zealand accent?

by Ron Popeilreply 8501/01/2013

The Space bags are great when they work, but I remember a PBS show where this New England guy would spend 30 minutes a week on "helpful tips" showing how to do the same thing with garbage bags and rubber bands.

You neatly fold your stuff, place it in the bag so the folds lie along the seams of the bag, use the vacuum cleaner to suck out the air and then seal the bag with a rubber band.

He used those big green garbage bags, and they flattened out quiet well.

I've always wondered if the idea for Space Bags came from that show.

by Ron Popeilreply 8601/01/2013

Forever Lazy, Forever Comfy, the Olde Brooklyn Lantern. I can't really recommend any of them. The lantern is especially poor though.

by Ron Popeilreply 8701/01/2013

R82 I bought something similar from QVC several years ago. A set of three in different colors: one each for foil, waxed paper, and plastic wrap. They work well.

by Ron Popeilreply 8801/01/2013

I bought Orgreenic because of the way the eggs flew out of the pan so fancy, but it does stick and be warned-you're signing on to a Orgreenic pan of the moth club unless you immediately cancel further shipments.

by Ron Popeilreply 8901/01/2013

I got my parents to get me K-tel's ROCK 80 for Christmas one year when I was a tot. I would totally still be listening to it if I had a record player and it hadn't vanished years ago. Good stuff! Blondie, Pretenders, Gary Numan, etc.

by Ron Popeilreply 9001/01/2013

Is Anthony Sullivan gay? I noticed on that show he did with the late Billy Mays that he had some kind of pec/chest deformity.

by Ron Popeilreply 9101/01/2013

1. Sham-Wow....WOW, where those a big piece of shit! Thought they would be good for washing the motorcycle. Boy was I wrong. 2. NuWave PIC...pretty neat and handy induction cooker. Overpriced if you ask me, but am please with it.It worked as advertised, just don't fall for the B.S. about free only pay shipping and processing they try to shove down your throat. 3. Ginsu knives...They worked good for many years until the plastic handles just gave out. I got my money's worth out of them. Did not go hunting for more after they broke. 4. Orgreenic pan...Have not received yet but they can't be any worse than the garabage the wife bought a Wally World. Therefore, my expectations aren't that high to be pleased with these pans.If they didn't offer a gift card with purchase I would have never ordered as the pans are a little smaller than I like to use.

by Ron Popeilreply 9201/12/2013

Back in college (late 80s), I bought a plasma globe from QVC. Had just smoked a joint with my friend when we saw it, and I had to have it. It provided hours of entertainment for my friends and me, over the next couple years. I remember a particularly funny mushroom trip, listening to Pink Floyd. (It responded to sound and would pulse with the beat).

by Ron Popeilreply 9301/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!