Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Received a handwritten thank you note from my 12 year old niece

Auntie, Thank you for the beautiful watch. I love it. Purple is my favorite color. I am even wearing it right now. #loveit

I think it's sweet that she has good manners and writes thank you notes for gifts when most kids these days are so fucking spoiled. But the # was silly. I hope it doesn't become a trend offline too.

by Anonymousreply 4412/30/2012

That was very nice. I actually received a pre printed thank you note with fill in the blank spaces. It that said

Thank you very much for the __________. It's just what I wanted.

by Anonymousreply 112/29/2012

LOL, R1!

Who sent it?

by Anonymousreply 212/29/2012

Little bitch. How dare she write "#loveit." Should have been aborted.

by Anonymousreply 312/29/2012

OP has no manners.

by Anonymousreply 412/29/2012

[quote]Auntie, Thank you for the beautiful watch. I love it. Purple is my favorite color. I am even wearing it right now. #loveit

Auntie = she's trying to be black. Only blacks call aunts, auntie

BEAUTIFUL WATCH. Means she doesn't like it. When someone goes out of the way to qualify a present, it's a lie.

LOVE IT. You can't love material things. Again, a lie

Wearing it right now. Again, qualifying the product.

This is a sign the kid does NOT like the present and was forced to write it agin her will

You need to learn to read between the lines.

by Anonymousreply 512/29/2012

Outside of the US, Auntie is commonly used.

by Anonymousreply 612/29/2012

What does the pound sign mean? I see it on Twitter whenever someone links a tweet to that site.

by Anonymousreply 712/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 812/29/2012

R7, when you see one on Twitter, click on it and you'll see what it means.

by Anonymousreply 912/29/2012

That's wonderful that you have such a sweet niece. My 17 year old niece couldn't even be bothered to contact me about the implosion of my 16 year relationship with a man she has known since she was one year old.

by Anonymousreply 1012/29/2012

My nephews and nieces are a bunch of brats who think all older relatives are supposed to act like their shit don't stink. They get that from their fawning parents.

by Anonymousreply 1112/29/2012

If her parents made her write it, than it's pointless. Why are you getting so happy over this? It's not real.

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2012

I can't believe she handwrote a hashtag! Ha.

R10, I wonder where they get their self-absorption? Oh, wait, maybe it's her old assed, drama queen of an uncle expecting a teenager to console him about his relationship problems. Don't you have adult friends and family members?

by Anonymousreply 1312/29/2012

What R13 said.

by Anonymousreply 1412/29/2012

R13 and R14 lack perception. R10's 17 yr old niece has known R10's partner for 16 years - he's been around the niece since she was one year old, so it would make sense that the niece might have enough depth to express some sympathy to R10 when he and his long term partner broke up.

by Anonymousreply 1512/29/2012

[quote]If her parents made her write it, than it's pointless

I don't think so. My mom did it to me as a kid and it just kind of got incorporated into my life and continued into adulthood.

At some point I recognized that it was just a decent thing to do. Perhaps the same will happen to OP's niece.

by Anonymousreply 1612/29/2012

Some are you are worse than children. She wrote a thank you note, who cares if she put a hash tag on it. Who cares if her parents made her do it, at least they're teaching her manners. And anyone expecting a 17 year old to know what to say to an adult about the break up of his adult relationship is deluded. She probably can't look at the boy she likes without turning purple, let alone ring up a sad middle aged man and offer words of sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 1712/29/2012

Well said, r17.

by Anonymousreply 1812/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 1912/29/2012

She should write a follow-up note: Mom is are a miserable bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2012/29/2012

If my niece sent me a form thank you letter, I'd whoop her ass till she walked like Jerry's kids and shit.

by Anonymousreply 2212/29/2012

When I look back at all the thank you notes I failed to write, I'm glad my brother raised his kids right. Whether Dad told them to do it or not, I get a call with a sincere thank you and a plan for what they intend to do with the money (too old to know what teenagers really want except for $$).

by Anonymousreply 2312/29/2012

For the record, I never said my niece's parents made her write the thank you card. Maybe they did but maybe they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 2412/29/2012

Auntie Bottom.

by Anonymousreply 2512/29/2012

Maybe the did, maybe they didn't.

That means they did.

by Anonymousreply 2612/29/2012

Does she call you "Auntie" because of the caftan? How cute!

by Anonymousreply 2712/29/2012

R15, what was I thinking? Of course teenagers do, and should comfort adult relatives when their relationships break up. That is to be expected. What teen wouldn't. EYEROLL.

by Anonymousreply 2812/29/2012

R17 is right. OP, be glad you got a thank-you note, tons of kids - and adults - don't bother. And my mother made my brother and I write thank-you notes; we would have been too lazy otherwise. MANY years later, I am big on thank-you notes; got a packet ahead of Xmas; have written (yesterday) and sent them out to brother and 3 nieces. My sister-in-law's family, though quite "proper"(never swear, good manners) somehow weren't big on thank-you cards; she says 'cause they had a big family who all lived nearby, so they just thanked each other informally (in person, over the phone.) Plus they weren't real big on gifts.

So of my 3 nieces: 34, 32 and 28 (yes, I'm old), only the oldest does a proper thank-you note; the middle one did thank me on the phone, and the youngest sent a text. All of which is fine with me.

And ##hashtags are "in" now, aren't they. I wouldn't hold it against a 12-year-old, though, OP, you're right that it isn't "proper" usage in a handwritten format. But just be grateful for small favors!

by Anonymousreply 2912/29/2012

Formal thank you notes are just ridiculous unless it's for something big or some grand occasion like a graduation or wedding.

When a person sends out thank you notes for every damn thing, they lose all meaning especially if the person already told you thank you. At that point, I know the person just follows societal dictates because they worry about what people will think of them otherwise, not because they really wanted to thank you.

by Anonymousreply 3012/30/2012

I gave my fucking aunt a check for Christmas and she wrote "Thank You" on the back where she endorsed it.

by Anonymousreply 3112/30/2012

Grateful children must alway write thank-you notes.

by Anonymousreply 3212/30/2012

R30 = making excuses for being an ungrateful entitled asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3312/30/2012

Is your neice obsessed w/ twitter by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 3412/30/2012

She's sweet. Please don't be a silly cunt about the hashtag.

Understand that she took the time to write it, and that, in her own language/terminology, she's showed how much she appreciates it.

by Anonymousreply 3512/30/2012

I get thank you notes from my niece & nephew after every gift; my sister "urges" them to do it, and I think it will serve them well as they get older.

My other niece doesn't even say "thank you" much less write a note; but then she's never been prompted to by her parents.

I don't think my sister & brother in law are doing their kid any good.

by Anonymousreply 3612/30/2012

R35 = pretentious faghag

by Anonymousreply 3812/30/2012

As a kid, I was "forced" to write thank you notes, that were in the next business day's mail. I once neglected to send one to my mother's stepmother, figuring she wouldn't notice ... surprise! She managed to make reference to that fact that she "hadn't heard from me" in HER letter thanking my mother for her gift. N-A-I-L-E-D. My cousin's daughter, whom I believe is in 8th grade, writes my mom thank you notes, as do my mom's friends' grandkids, for whom she buys occasional gifts. Must be a WASP thing. Gets to be second nature after a while. Here's an example of a perfectly good note that took me two minutes just now to think up (see, thank you notes are Not Hard!):

Dear Cousin Boris,

I have a huge TBR pile, and sometimes cannot decide what to pick next (part of being a Libra). Your book I'm saving for when I'm really stuck, and want an option I know should be (interesting/fun/etc.) So far winter here has been mild, but last year we got a late storm, so who knows! I plan on going to visit the folks in Florida a couple of times, which will break up the lack of any sun in the northwest until April or so.

Hope you and Natasha are managing well in Moscow!

by Anonymousreply 3912/30/2012

[quote] My 17 year old niece couldn't even be bothered to contact me about the implosion of my 16 year relationship with a man she has known since she was one year old.

I really don't think that one would or should expect a 17 year old to become involved in breakup discussions.

by Anonymousreply 4012/30/2012

R41 is a ray of sunshine!

Er, rather, the cancer that comes from too many UV rays.

by Anonymousreply 4212/30/2012

Seriously, F&F the freeper at r41, I'm sick of homophobes infesting this place with their nasty AIDS posts.

by Anonymousreply 4312/30/2012

What r43 said.

by Anonymousreply 4412/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!