Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Remember the Night (1940)

I watched this for the first time over the holidays. Directed by a gay man (Mitchell Leisen) and featuring Barbara Stanwyck at her most beautiful and Fred MacMurray. I loved the movie - Stanwyck is very natural and affecting and she has an amazing chemistry with MacMurray. Leisen directs with style to spare. Surprised this Christmas movie is not mroe well-known.

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012

One of the movies that made me a Stanwyck fan. No fan of MacMurray but he was tolerable in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 112/29/2012

Thanks so much for posting this OP. I watch this film every Xmas. I've posted here several times that I like this film even more than Barbara's better-known holiday film, Christmas in Connecticut. RTN has more pathos, and certainly better direction. I love Beulah Bondi and Elizabeth Patterson in this as well. A fine, fine film.

It seems like people are only now realizing what a treasure Stanwyck was.

by Anonymousreply 212/29/2012

Lesbian directed this?

by Anonymousreply 312/29/2012

Stanwyck could do it all. Screwball comedy, westerns, social drama, tearjerkers, romantic drama. Far better than the mannered performances of her contemporaries Davis and Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 412/30/2012

I love this movie too. Then again I am the biggest Barbara Stanwyck fan. She is my favorite actress.

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2012

another stanwyck fan here. she is so compelling when she speaks, you cannot take your eyes off her.

by Anonymousreply 612/30/2012

I love her in her films but also love her performance in The Thorn Birds. Along with the music, she was one of the few good things in that schmaltzy dreck.

by Anonymousreply 712/30/2012

Stanwyck had a very magnetic screen presence. Can't put my finger on it, but when she was in a scene, you could not take your eyes off of here.

by Anonymousreply 812/30/2012

The courtroom scene at the end is beautifully done.

by Anonymousreply 912/30/2012

I'd like to recommend Stanwyck's No Man of Her Own. You can stream it on Netflix. Great movie.

by Anonymousreply 1012/30/2012

I also love her in baby face

by Anonymousreply 1112/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!