Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Claim seeks $100 million for child survivor of Connecticut school shooting

A $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard "cursing, screaming, and shooting" over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire, according to the claim filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky.

"As a consequence, the ... child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined," the claim said.

Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr., whose office must give permission before a lawsuit can be filed against the state.

"We all know its going to happen again," Pinsky said on Friday. "Society has to take action."

Twenty children and six adults were shot dead on December 14 at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The children were all 6 and 7 years old.

Pinsky's claim said that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."

It said they had failed to provide a "safe school setting" or design "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol."

Pinsky said he was approached by the child's parents within a week of the shooting.

The shooting, which also left the gunman dead, has prompted extensive debate about gun control and the suggestion by the National Rifle Association that schools be patrolled by armed guards. Police have said the gunman killed his mother at their home in Newtown before going to the school.

by Anonymousreply 6912/30/2012

Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 112/28/2012

Unfuckingbelievable. Some people have absolutely no conscience or morals.

by Anonymousreply 212/28/2012

I'm surprised it took this long.

by Anonymousreply 312/28/2012

Yeah, because filing a claim against the state is so fucking appropriate and justified. She needs to sue the god damn NRA, for fuck sake!

by Anonymousreply 512/28/2012

let them have their grief. this might come to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 612/28/2012

If only she had received a precious moment figurine and a letter that she'd 'treasure' from the Oklahoma girl!

by Anonymousreply 712/28/2012

They always kill the wrong ones.

by Anonymousreply 812/28/2012

And you just know there are handfuls of lawyers crawling around this whole tragedy looking for a cut.

by Anonymousreply 912/28/2012

Ugh, any suit seeking $100 million should automatically be thrown out.

by Anonymousreply 1012/28/2012

I'd kind of support this if it was aimed at gun manufacturers.

If not...no.

by Anonymousreply 1112/28/2012

[quote] And you just know there are handfuls of lawyers crawling around this whole tragedy looking for a cut.

Yeah. this is just the first

by Anonymousreply 1212/28/2012

How is $100 million supposed to heal the emotional scars?

by Anonymousreply 1312/28/2012

$100,000,000 will make it alllllll better.

These children will adjust much better if their parents wouldn't insist on dragging this out.

by Anonymousreply 1412/28/2012

Disgusting - I suppose all the children in the school should receive something?

Was it a kid in the classroom where everyone was shot?

Kids are pretty darn resilient - particularly at that age. Unless you keep reminding them and making it a big deal for them.

by Anonymousreply 1512/28/2012

Should have sued the gun manufacturers. I'd support this if it was some kind of strategy to make the state change gun laws. But the thinking behind this seems to be pro-NRA, i.e., there should be armed guards or some other similar safeguard against these shootings.

Wonder if the NRA is footing her legal fees. I doubt anyone would take this on contigency unless they were certain they were going to some cash at some point.

by Anonymousreply 1612/28/2012

Gun manufacturers are specifically protected from liability and have been for some time. It was a gift from the Bush administration.

by Anonymousreply 1712/28/2012

You would think they would just be grateful that their child survived. Some people are just unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 1812/28/2012

There was a really good movie with John Cusack and Gene Hackman about a law suit against arms manufacturers. I think it was called "Jury Duty" or something like that. Anyway, I imagine a lawsuit against the NRA to play out in a similar manner. They wouldn't play nice and you'd have to have a lot of ressources to win it.

by Anonymousreply 1912/28/2012

There are so many things wrong with this suit, I wonder if this Pinsky fella knows what he is doing. Btw if they loose the arenas could end up owing the state big buck in legal fees.

by Anonymousreply 2012/28/2012

The court should order that the proceeds from the lawsuit be given to the Todd M. Beamer Foundation, which was founded to build resiliency in children who have suffered trauma.

That's where this money will do the most good.

by Anonymousreply 2112/28/2012

Pay attention

Read the preceding posts

[bold] It is illegal to sue gun manufacturers

Courtesy of the Congress and president of the United States of America

Since 2005. [/bold]

Stop getting on your high horses and demanding the gun manufacturers be sued

by Anonymousreply 2212/28/2012

Bush legacy....

by Anonymousreply 2312/28/2012

You [italic]heathens[/italic]. Can't you understand how TRAUMATIZED my little Madison was from hearing those horrible screams??? She cries herself to sleep every fifth or sixth night! The only way to soothe her sorrow is for the state of Connecticut to pay ME ... um, HER a hundred million smackaroons!!!

by Anonymousreply 2412/29/2012

Well, in this case I do feel for the child as they really must be traumatized. This shooting was a very traumatic, violent event, but needless to say, this lawsuit is ridiculous. This shooting could've happened anywhere. Should every child in the school receive $100 mill as well? Who is realistically going to pay such an amount?

by Anonymousreply 2512/29/2012

Sick fuckers from Connecticut. Home of the greediest people on the USA.

by Anonymousreply 2612/29/2012

I would be happy as a pig in shit if they'd named the NRA and Bushmaster.

The state should not be held liable for greed and insanity.

by Anonymousreply 2712/29/2012

Mother fucking whore bitch cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2812/29/2012

Naturally, the fucking vultures are coming out to feast. The asshole parents of "Jill Doe"ought to be ashamed, but I doubt they posses the self awareness.

by Anonymousreply 2912/29/2012

At first I figured that this was a lawsuit by one of the dead children. Nope.

If this woman honestly thought that this was foreseeable (which it really wasn't) AND that there were procedures in place to protect the children (security guards, sign in procedures, all classroom doors locked as policy,for example) AND, the people in charge were negligent in not following those procedures, AND, definitive trauma to the kid (which really can't be measured at this point) then maybe, just maybe a lawsuit. But, even then, something like $500k or less (probably considerably less, with the goal of a lesser settlement), AND with stated reasons for the seeking the money - ongoing counseling costs, private school costs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3012/29/2012

Something tells me this Jill Doe is a gun loving Christian Repub who sees nothing wrong about such a lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 3112/29/2012

[quote] Was it a kid in the classroom where everyone was shot?

no. It was a child who heard it over the intercom. BTW, the principal who turned on the intercom is a true hero. She saved most of those children's lives. Her quick thinking let all the teachers know what was happening and they were able to lock the doors and hide the children. The shooter had enough ammo to almost kill all the kids

They ought to sue Nancy Lanza's estate. She was getting $275,000 a year in alimony. Dumb bitch knew her child had mental problems and she not only loads up her house with guns and tells him the world is almost coming to an end, she PROUDLY taught the crazy kid how to use the guns

by Anonymousreply 3212/29/2012

To reiterate for the 500th time:

It is illegal to sue gun manufacturers in the US.

It is impossible to sue a family member for the actions of an adult child (Adam Lanza).

There is no possible way to assign legal blame to a loosely organized nonprofit group such as the NRA, particularly when the shooter had no relationship with them.

by Anonymousreply 3312/29/2012

What a shame that people are going to start turning on these newtown survivors just because one greedy bitch wants to get rich off this.

by Anonymousreply 3412/29/2012

Guarantee one of the parents or relative/friend is a lawyer who pushed for this.

by Anonymousreply 3512/29/2012

Even more amazing that idiots like you are allowed to be born.

by Anonymousreply 3712/29/2012

Oh that makes so much sense, R36!

Because a woman wanting something removed from her *own* body for any number of reasons (other than the scenario that people like you have created in your own minds, ie. she's some whore who uses abortion as a form of birth control) is exactly the same as some guy shooting up an elementary school.

Exactly the same!

You people need to see a psychiatrist. You're mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 3812/29/2012

The name "Irv Pinsky"- I'm picturing someone with the cheapest suit and worst combover ever.

by Anonymousreply 3912/29/2012

"There is no possible way to assign legal blame to a loosely organized nonprofit group such as the NRA, particularly when the shooter had no relationship with them."

You don't know that there was no relationship. And, laws can be fought and overturned in court.

The NRA aided and abetted this, and all, gun crimes. So, too, did the gun manufacturers and any law protecting them can be overturned by a new law or the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 4012/29/2012

It's going to come to a point where schools will have armed guards. This will work out quite well for the George Zimmermans of the country - they'll be employed for the foreseeable future as the keeper of a bunch of newly enacted 'stand your ground' laws. You know nothing will happen to gun laws.

by Anonymousreply 4212/29/2012

I heard a lot about this tragedy in the media. I am feeling sort of traumatized as well. Can you put me down for a couple of thou? Oh and when can I expect my share of the donated cash? Also have the Feds mailed out checks yet? I can't be waiting forever like those Storm Sandy suckers.

by Anonymousreply 4312/29/2012

This jackpot will be paid out of course and it will come, as usual, out of the pockets of American tax-slavers - who are without a doubt the stupidest people on the planet!

by Anonymousreply 4412/29/2012

r18

No that would be too much like right.

by Anonymousreply 4512/29/2012

R39, Andy Samberg as Mort Feingold is wha I had in mind when I read the name "Irv Pinksy".

by Anonymousreply 4612/29/2012

all the survivors should start a class action suit against the NRA. THAT is something worth supporting. Otherwise this is disgusting on the part of the parents of that kid. What about the parents whose kids died? They're kind of making a mockery of the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 4712/29/2012

[quote]Dumb bitch knew her child had mental problems and she not only loads up her house with guns and tells him the world is almost coming to an end, she PROUDLY taught the crazy kid how to use the guns

Seriously? Is this true? I quit listening to stuff about this case.

[quote]Amazing how it's bad to kill a child with a gun, but perfectly fine to vacuum him up.

Dear dipshit...some of us feel that an already living, breathing individual is far more important than a first trimester fetus which is not even capable of living outside the womb nor sentient of its own existence. Thank you for playing.

by Anonymousreply 5012/29/2012

[quote]Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."

Since 1982, there have been 62 mass shootings in the US at locations including supermarkets, schools, hotels, a nursing home, USPS facilities, county offices, and various manufacturing workplaces.

Mass shootings are not an unusual event in the US, and a lawsuit setting a precedent that the owners of buildings should anticipate them and take steps to prevent occupants from being victims would be a good start in stopping them.

by Anonymousreply 5112/29/2012

You bitches fail to understand that lawsuits are one way of effecting change. Maybe if it's successful legislation will come about to address the issue.

by Anonymousreply 5212/29/2012

Which is why the parents should have sued the NRA

by Anonymousreply 5312/29/2012

Weren't the prayers and teddy bears enough?

by Anonymousreply 5412/29/2012

R15 it clearly was a "big deal."

But the parents bringing the suit here sure have the wrong target.

by Anonymousreply 5512/29/2012

"There was a really good movie with John Cusack and Gene Hackman about a law suit against arms manufacturers. I think it was called "Jury Duty" or something like that"

Love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 5612/29/2012

He's not actually suing the state yet. He's suing for permission to sue. I think it's likely that the case will be dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 5712/29/2012

That's why it's called

ConnectiCUNT.

by Anonymousreply 5912/29/2012

Miss Patrick Campbell's breasts are leaking again... Let's tax them, since she loves sharing her traumatizing political views!

by Anonymousreply 6012/29/2012

We have no guns nor do we care to have any but the facts are as follows:

The USA has both the largest number of guns in private hands and almost the LOWEST per capita gun homicides on the planet. Most gun deaths are suicides. We can provide verificatia of this.

BTW, an item in the NY Times today notes that Germany has 5.5 million guns in private hands. We are curious why there are no 'Sandy Hooks' in Germany. The same goes for Finland and Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 6112/29/2012

[quote]The USA has both the largest number of guns in private hands and almost the LOWEST per capita gun homicides on the planet

Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 6212/29/2012

[quote] We are curious why there are no 'Sandy Hooks' in Germany. The same goes for Finland and Switzerland.

But there are:

Norway is the most recent, but in the past ten years, schools in Germany, France and Italy have all weathered mass shootings.

There was also the mall shooter in Sweden a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 6312/29/2012

I recall that Caroline Kennedy settled with the Bessetts on a wrongful death suit. she gave a few million to the family. I realize that was a different case entirely, it was an accident not premeditated murder. But who did the Bessetts sue? the estate of JFK Junior of whom Caroline's 3 children were the beneficiaries of ?

by Anonymousreply 6412/29/2012

[quote] BTW, an item in the NY Times today notes that Germany has 5.5 million guns in private hands. We are curious why there are no 'Sandy Hooks' in Germany. The same goes for Finland and Switzerland.

Just confirming along with R63 that yes, both Germany AND Finland have had mass shootings in schools. Twice in Finland, if I recall correctly. What was the reaction in Finland you ask? They tightened the gun laws.

I don't believe you about the US per capita gun homicides, R61. You may provide vera ficatia.

by Anonymousreply 6512/29/2012

There will be no proceeds from this suit. There will, however, be a bill for these people to pay for the prevailing party's expenses. Maybe even a trip to bar counsel for the attorney if it is considered a frivolous suit, i.e., no real legal grounds to even file the suit.

They also better be able to show this child has never heard swearing or cursing in her home or elsewhere and that the child has never been exposed to violent TV or films.

Nancy Lanza was getting alimony which she probably spent each year - that house may not even be in her name only. She was probably judgement proof if she could even be held liable for anything.

These parents just want attention. They are probably just pissed their little survivor didn't get the attention the dead ones got.

by Anonymousreply 6612/29/2012

r52 has a great point. This isn't about the money it's about making the state - someone - step up and change something an in this country the NO. 1 way to get anyone to pay attention is to make them pay through the fucking nose.

by Anonymousreply 6712/29/2012

It won't happen. You all are impossibly stupid for not reading the backstory. The lawyer can't sue, because it's not legal to sue the state in this instance. He's asking for permission to sue the state for his reasoning. IT WON'T HAPPEN.

by Anonymousreply 6812/29/2012

I wonder what will happen

by Anonymousreply 6912/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.