Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I love throwing things away -- I hate clutter!

Those of you who live among clutter -- how can you stand it? How did it accumulate? I get such a great feeling from tossing stuff out!

by Anonymousreply 5312/25/2013

I love throwing shit out too. In the last year I've thrown out two beds and two chairs and I'm gonna throw out another bed too.

by Anonymousreply 112/28/2012

OP, have a garage sale and make some money off your things. Remember, one person's trash is another person's treasure. We had a garage sale before we moved two years ago, and the money we made went to pay for wicker furniture for the new house's porch. If you have kids, you can make turn it into a family event by having them make change. Not only does it make them feel inclusive in the process, especially if they're down about moving and leaving their friends, but it also makes for great parent-child bonding. So go for the garage sale before you throw any of it out.

by Anonymousreply 212/28/2012

Ugh, garage sales. What a wretched thing to do on Saturday mornings in America. I prefer to give away my old things to charity.

by Anonymousreply 312/28/2012

"Those of you who live among clutter -- how can you stand it?"

Become poor.

by Anonymousreply 412/28/2012

[quote] A collection of things lying about in an untidy mass; a confused or disordered state or collection; a jumble

I love things and have loads of them (and lots of rooms for them), but do like order. It might drive OP mad, but it's not cluttered in the disordered sense, and not crowded with lots of little bits; there's space between things and space to circulate.

People who believe their personalities are voluminous and vibrant enough to fill a room are often mistaken. And "clean lines" devotees are cultists in their own rights.

by Anonymousreply 512/28/2012

I love clutter, all those things that will come in handy someday....

Yet, I love wide, open empty spaces amongst my clutter, creating positive and negative space.

by Anonymousreply 612/28/2012

"A collection of things lying about in an untidy mass; a confused or disordered state or collection; a jumble"

Thank you, Miss Crawford. Now as a Christmas present to our listeners, would you all like to say the last lines of Twas the Night Before Christmas?

by Anonymousreply 712/28/2012

OP, can I rent you for a few months? I need to declutter in a MAJOR way!

by Anonymousreply 912/29/2012

Why does r1 have so many beds to throw out? Scat queen?

by Anonymousreply 1012/29/2012

Where you throwing that stuff, I might want it?

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2012

[quote] OP, can I rent you for a few months? I need to declutter in a MAJOR way!

Good idea, R9!

by Anonymousreply 1312/29/2012

r12 is a scat queen too!

by Anonymousreply 1412/29/2012

If the mattresses are clean and not damaged I'm pretty sure homeless shelters will take them. Here in San Diego, Father Joe's Villages will pick them up if you put them out in your driveway with a note on them after calling them for a pickup time. I'm sure other Catholic Charities, among others, may do the same in other cities. Although some things definitely need to be actually thrown away, I always remember the R words, recycle, reuse, restore, reorganize, reinvent or put another way, use it up and wear it out (like what needs to happen to Christopher Meloni's ass).

by Anonymousreply 1512/29/2012

[R14] Yes, I will shit on your face as requested. It will cost you though

by Anonymousreply 1612/29/2012

I see these neat freaks on television like the Monica character on "Friends" or the Sheldon character on "Big Bang Theory" who want to clean the apartments of others who will not allow it. I wish I could make friends with someone like that. I know how it happened, it is fear that if I get rid of something, I might need it later. In my socio-economic status, it is easier to keep it than to replace it.

by Anonymousreply 1712/29/2012

I hate clutter, hate it. My house is immaculate and orderly. I think I have a borderline obsession, but I would much rather live in a clean and organized house than live in clutter. When I'm in a cluttered home it gives me anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 1812/29/2012

My mommy was like that, after I was born, every time she got pregnant out came the vacuum.

by Anonymousreply 1912/29/2012

Remember the story of the ant and the grasshopper.

How the ants hated clutter and threw everything away, while the grasshopper stored everything for a rainy day.

Then the snows came and there was no more crops to eat. But the grasshopper had lots of food stored. So the ants marched an army and killed the grasshopper and took his food.

You know, when I was little, I swear the grasshopper used to come out on top. I guess I was wrong, all these years, so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2012/29/2012

I could have written R18 's post. Growing up in a family where everybody was always looking for something, my room was an exception.

by Anonymousreply 2112/29/2012

I moved three years ago, so I threw out, gave away and sold 90% of my stuff.

I just have about 4 boxes of stuff I want to get rid of - papers and documents related to work, or personal papers, receipts, and book review periodicals that I want to review or finish (Mostly that just collected in the past three years). I am going through that stuff now, throwing out as much as I can.

I am not a neat freak, but it is very liberating not to be surrounded by and weighed down with stuff.

When I see clutter (approaching hoarding) in other people's places, I find it depressing and claustrophobic.

by Anonymousreply 2212/29/2012

I suppose I have a bit of a tendency to pack-rat, so I'm always a bit proud when I get rid of something.

So I make a habit of donating everything possible to the local charity thrift store, I keep a "donate" box in the storeroom. There's one good thrift store in this little town, where everyone shares their random stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2312/29/2012

I grew up in the home of a hoarder. I think, in reaction to having my needs made secondary to -- quite literally -- trash, as an adult I *cannot stand* clutter.

by Anonymousreply 2412/29/2012

[quote]Remember, one person's trash is another person's treasure.

Exactly, R2.

by Anonymousreply 2612/29/2012

I guess he told you all...LOL

by Anonymousreply 2812/29/2012

One person's clutter is another person's treasures. To each their own.

by Anonymousreply 2912/29/2012

Me, too.

by Anonymousreply 3012/29/2012

I hate clutter of any kind. I've been in my current home 15 years and the only time I went to bed with dirty dishes in the sink was when I had Strep throat with 102.7 fever. I would never have a yard sale or put my old stuff out by the road for other people to take (a common occurrence in the rural south). Only hoarders would pick it up and I don't want to help someone make their house even more cluttered. I burn all my old things.

by Anonymousreply 3112/24/2013

I dislike clutter too, but I give my stuff away to the local charities. I figure that nothing I ever buy is a mistake because if it doesn't work, whether clothes or furnishings, someone else will use it.

Now, that being said, I'm not a Spartan. I just don't like clutter.

by Anonymousreply 3212/24/2013

The easiest way to declutter is not to buy the crap or bring the stuff into your house in the first place.

If you don't need it. Don't buy it. For example, there's no reason why we need to upgrade cellphones every 2 years. Use stuff until it wears out or breaks and then toss it. The same with computers. We all buy into the faster, new processor BS and all we do is create more stuff for the landfill or for more junk to take up space in your home.

I know way too many people who shop sales with the idea that they are saving money and buy stuff they have no room for. I don't buy clothes unless I'm replacing something that has worn out or gotten ripped etc.

Learn the rule nothing new comes in unless something old goes out.

The sames goes for paper--go electronic. A Kindle takes up a whole lot less space than a pile of trashy novels. Pay your bills electronically. Toss junk mail in your recycling before you even bring it into the house.

Cut back on magazine subscriptions (electronic subscriptions), get a library card and stop buying books, subscribe to Netflix rather than buy DVDs.

Once you stop the inflow, you can then start getting rid of the piled up crap. If you don't and keep tossing stuff a you bring in more crap, the piles don't get any smaller.

by Anonymousreply 3312/24/2013

What do you do when you're like Felix and your partner is like Oscar? I was in that situation and it was a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 3412/24/2013

An obsession with too much clutter is just as obsessive cumplusive as having too much clutter.

by Anonymousreply 3512/24/2013

(R34) i would say bye bye Oscar

by Anonymousreply 3612/24/2013

My ex partner of fifteen years just decluttered by dropping off all photo albums from our years together, any love letters from me and handmade sentimental gifts from our years together at a mutual friend's house with no note, asking him to pass them on to me. Two days before Christmas, 4.5 years after we've broken up (he cheated on me with a friend of ours, I walked, he recently married the affair partner). I am shocked, it has to be said - such a slap in the face. I am not going to respond.

by Anonymousreply 3712/24/2013

R37, his new partner probably told him he wanted that stuff out of the house, now, instead of throwing it away he thought you might want it.

by Anonymousreply 3812/24/2013

I attribute my problem to growing up dirt poor in Appalachia.

by Anonymousreply 3912/24/2013

I knew a guy that seriously used that excuse (R39)

by Anonymousreply 4012/24/2013

Yeah, I know R38 - but a note of explanation would be courteous, and getting rid of all photo albums is frankly bizarre. I am a professional artist, and a painting done for my ex was also returned. It is also a very selfish act to return such things with no warning or attached note, as it was highly upsetting even though I have moved on for the most part. But then my ex is a very selfish person, though I didn't realise it until we broke up. We weren't married and hadn't got a civil partnership, and when I left him after the cheating I was penniless and homeless.

Interestingly I decluttered from him (packed up all gifts and letters in a small box) within 1.5 years of our split; I'm assuming he never processed the breakup at all as he went straight into this other relationship. I can assure you though that my mind is a lot less cluttered with baggage these days than his.

by Anonymousreply 4112/24/2013

[quote] It is also a very selfish act to return such things with no warning or attached note, as it was highly upsetting even though I have moved on for the most part.

R41 - You don't seem to have moved on. And I don't seem how not leaving a note is selfish - some people just destroy common belongings and photos, so be thankful that he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 4212/24/2013

I have a confession to make. I'm an absolute clutter bug. I know. I know. It's because I'm so sentimental. Everything I have immediately reminds me of when I received it and the person who gave it to me. I have an extremely difficult time tossing and throwing things away. As a matter of fact, my New Year's resolution is to become less cluttered. And I'm going to stick to it this time. I swear.

by Anonymousreply 4312/24/2013

I bet your rethinking that whole "Im leaving you because you were unfaithful" thing now,arent you [r41]? Who leaves their lover of 15 years because of some cheap fuck???

by Anonymousreply 4412/24/2013

R37, I'd dump them at once so as to not think about what to do with them.

by Anonymousreply 4512/24/2013

I had two out of three bedrooms given over to clutter. Mainly paperwork that I could not bear to confront. Washing baskets and dozens of boxes filled with STUFF that I would be endlessly shifting from one room to another. Thinking about it was far worse than actually pulling that first box out and dealing with it. I bought a shredder and spent each evening shredding and tossing junk. Made a lot of trips to the rubbish tip and the op shop.

What is great is that I can so easily clean now. It is a half hour job, nothing to move to vacuum. I love the space and don't miss a thing I got rid of. Still more to do.

by Anonymousreply 4612/24/2013

I hate clutter too, but I am a compulsive shopper. I donate thousands of dollars worth of merchandise every year. The frustrating thing is that I sometimes end up repurchasing items that I donated.

by Anonymousreply 4712/24/2013

R47, do you rebuy things because you forget you already own them, or is it because you realize you really liked them and shouldn't have thrown them out? I do the latter from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 4812/24/2013

R37 your ex BF is a cunt. C'mon he does this just a few days before xmas? Burn all that crap in the fireplace and forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 4912/24/2013

Thanks R49 and R45 - those are GREAT suggestions and what I plan to do. I haven't really thought about my ex in a long time before this..

I have never regretted leaving the cheater. Even though I struggled financially I like my life and my friends and had crazy rebound sex and started a PhD.

Back on the subject of decluttering, as I moved out quickly and had to take many years' worth of belongings with me, I just unpacked in stages, but made sure the boxes were out of sight. I tackled one box a month and eventually my relationship residue was whittled down to one smallish box. :) Er, that's been augmented as of this week, of course, but I think dump and burn is definitely the way to go!

by Anonymousreply 5012/25/2013

I also hate clutter, I love this thread! First thing to do end of the year is dispose old cosmetics like face bronzer. And any lotion / creams that have been here with me since start of the year. Then I dispose clothes that are space-eaters. Shoes will have to go when I have stopped wearing them for the last six months. This is why I feel I always have new things around me. I feel GREAT.

by Anonymousreply 5112/25/2013

My 86 year old neighbors are clutter phobic. Their house is always in perfect repair and everything looks stylish and new and oh so orderly.

He keeps track of her seasonal clothes, if she didn't wear that coat last winter or this winter then out it goes this spring. She doesn't mind either because she's the same way.

No cob webs, no dust, no clutter. They're cute as hell too. When he does yard work he looks like he's dressed for a tennis match.

by Anonymousreply 5212/25/2013

I take great emotional satisfaction from throwing away unwanted things. I don't like being in a cluttered environment.

by Anonymousreply 5312/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!