Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

No-barky collars

Do they work?

We just moved to a new apt. and the queen next door is already complaining.

by Anonymousreply 4301/01/2013

How about some obedience training instead?

by Anonymousreply 112/28/2012

For the queen?

by Anonymousreply 212/28/2012

They're very cruel. Try one on yourself before you buy it and you'll see.

I solved a similar problem by getting a kennel (one of the big plastic ones) and muffling the sides with pillows (with the front open for air). I put it in my laundry room and left a radio on and the lights on. I also started a load of wash right when I left for work whenever I could to help drown out noises the dog might hear.

I didn't get any more complaints. Of course if your dog is howling incessantly, that's another story. If that's the case the you need to look into doggy day care.

Fuck that collar though. That shit should be outlawed.

by Anonymousreply 312/28/2012

Is your dog truly that offensive? Do you leave it alone for hours to bark at a time? Does it never quieten?

Have two Schnauzers, one of whom didn't give a rat's ass about bark collars. We started him off on giving a shot of breath spray when he barked. He had excellent breath all summer. Moved him over to a citronella spray on the advice of the puppy trainer. Never had an issue with mosquitos that year.

Got a shock collar, but tried it out on ourselves first. Turn it on the highest shock, put it on yourself, and see how you'd feel. It didn't do a damn thing but scare him. Exercise and some doggie day-care work wonders.

Just my two cents. Good luck to you. It's a difficult position to be put in, especially with new neighbours.

by Anonymousreply 412/28/2012

Want to borrow my scissors?

by Anonymousreply 512/28/2012

Sorry, I'm inquiring about the citronella collars, not the shock type. Do they work? They're not harmful, are they?

by Anonymousreply 612/28/2012

My dachshund responded very well to a citronella spray collar when I was in a similar situation. I have sprayed myself in the face and though it is uncomfortable it's not at all painful. I don't even turn it on half the time and it still is effective.

by Anonymousreply 712/28/2012

R4 here. Hi. No, not harmful and - again - if it's summertime, they can be helpful. They just seemed completely ineffective. Hope that helps. The dog, FWIW, definitely preferred the breath spray.

by Anonymousreply 812/28/2012

But, if R7's dog responded so positively, go for it. My guy was just a stubborn bastard. Again, all the best to you. Ignore the neighbors. Dogs do bark, after all. He/she is just probably getting used to the new location. Let them adjust.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 912/28/2012

I wouldn't ignore the neighbor as R9 suggests. OP's dog is the problem, not the neighbor. OP needs to find a way to control the dog's barking so everyone can live in peace.

by Anonymousreply 1012/28/2012

The citronella collars work. They just spray and all it does is surprise the dog, which stops him from barking. They soon learn that if they bark, it sprays, and they stop barking. I had to do this when I visited NYC and stayed in a friend's apartment. Her wacked out neighbor immediately complained about my dog so I was forced to get this collar. It was ok. My dog didn't like it, but he stopped barking and it does not hurt them at all.

by Anonymousreply 1212/28/2012

R11 got turned down by one too many German shepherd's.

by Anonymousreply 1312/28/2012

"I CAN SHOVE A WHOLE MIDGET UP MY ASSHOLE"

by Anonymousreply 1412/28/2012

[quote]Dogs do bark.

Babies also cry, ever sit on a cross country flight with a colicky baby, with a mother who seems oblivious?

Barking dogs are a problem for your neighbors. Find someone who's can puppy sit for you. Dog will be happy to have some company and your neighbor will thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1512/28/2012

I used a citronella collar for my beagle and it worked.

by Anonymousreply 1612/28/2012

I can shove Queen Elizabeth's corgis up my ass.

by Anonymousreply 1712/28/2012

Pathetic FAIL, R17

by Anonymousreply 1812/28/2012

"I RIMMED JOHN WAYNE GACY"

by Anonymousreply 1912/28/2012

:)

by Anonymousreply 2012/28/2012

My neighbor has a dog that barks a lot when he is away. I am amazed at the dog's endurance in that it keeps it up for [italic]hours[/italic] at a time.

I don't really care because I'm able to tune it out fairly effectively.

What I don't like is when I hear it whimpering. It's a sad sound -- he/she just wants the master to come home.

My question is, do you think he is aware his dog is doing this? If he hears it when he's coming up the stairs he probably figures it just barks a bit when someone is in the hallway.

I don't want to bring it up with him because the guy that lived in that apartment before and I got into a huge thing about noise and it became an [bold]awful[/bold] situation that never did resolve itself (until he moved, that is.)

This has to be hard on the dog. Physically and emotionally. Didn't they invent some wrap around garment that soothed dogs that had abandonment issues?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

by Anonymousreply 2112/28/2012

Those citronella collars don't work on larger dogs with a lot of loose skin on their necks. My dog went nuts barking in the car one day while wearing that thing, and I had to bail out before I choked to death on citronella. There was a mist in the air, the windows fogged up and she didn't even notice LOL.

by Anonymousreply 2212/28/2012

the queen next door is already complaining.

Well then, I hope that queen puts on her old Madanna CDs at full volume for you to enjoy, asshole, 'cause that's what queens do and you need to learn how to adjust to living next to a queen. It's not the queen's fault, it's just what they do.

by Anonymousreply 2312/28/2012

EXACTLY what R10 said.

A tenant moved in below me and her little yappy fuck dog barked at everything. If the grass grew or the wind blew, the dog barked.

I made a serious stink about it, especially since I'd already lived there for eight years.

Needless to say, the cunt and her dog finally moved. It was just easier than dealing with me.

by Anonymousreply 2412/28/2012

Yes they work. Have a very noisy Bassett hound and one time getting shocked worked. We had tried numerous other things first.

by Anonymousreply 2512/28/2012

A no bark collar is static electricity. I used to love to pet me dog in the winter and then shock him. He never seemed to know what was going on.

If you did it to the cat though, she's leave.

Cats is smarter than dogs, at least when it comes to static electricity.

by Anonymousreply 2612/29/2012

I knew a woman who used to breed dogs (horrible dogs... slobbery, big coon hounds) and please don't jump up my ass but she claimed that dogs liked to be crated/kenneled. It makes them feel safe, she claims. Now, you wouldn't want to kennel them for more than, say 10/12 hours a day but if you can comfortably kennel them (while you are at work) in a crate that has a padded bottom that gives them room to turn around, they should be fine. Have food and water in the kennel.

It might help if they had a radio or TV on for noise/company, the temperature is adjusted, and of course walk them immediately before and after you leave/get home and lavish lots of attention on your pet.

I said, DON'T JUMP UP MY ASS !!!!

by Anonymousreply 2712/29/2012

R26, in English, please.

by Anonymousreply 2812/29/2012

r28

Shut up youse racist, is what you am.

by Anonymousreply 2912/29/2012

Why would anyone jump on you for that R27? If the kennel is large enough and as you said it's not all day, then what's the problem?

What about a Thundershirt?

by Anonymousreply 3012/29/2012

OP, prozac, clomipramine, or amitriptylline can help also. I had major issues with a dog who not only barked her head off but she also tore through the carpet and floorboard in front of the door. Clomipramine worked for her. The dosage usually needs a bit of tweaking but it's worth considering. Cheapest to get the med from a people pharmacy.

by Anonymousreply 3112/30/2012

2 words. Thunder Shirt

by Anonymousreply 3212/30/2012

r27 - Do you really think no one has heard of crate training? But 10-12 hours 5 days a week is too long, and probably won't address the barking anyway.

Anyone who seriously considers using a collar that delivers ANY level of electric shock should not own a dog or any pet. There are other types of anti-barking collars, but there is still some controversy over whether those are really good training tools.

by Anonymousreply 3312/30/2012

[quote]I used to love to pet me dog in the winter and then shock him. He never seemed to know what was going on.

hahaha. you're horrible.

I hate when I do it to my dog.. I even apologize. I'm a wimp.

by Anonymousreply 3412/30/2012

r34 - Say, why don't you put that on yourself instead? Make sure you have it on the full setting since you're much bigger than your dog and besides, you actually deserve it for being a dumb, cruel fuck.

by Anonymousreply 3512/31/2012

They're no good. When the car goes fast enough, the thing breaks with all the plastic and stuff. Better to use chain collars. They don't go anywhere when you hit 60. Just get the knots tight enough if you're relying on rope. Regular leashes can snap, so stout rope is better.

by Anonymousreply 3612/31/2012

move, OP.

Only quiet dogs belong in apartments.

by Anonymousreply 3712/31/2012

OP: you and your partner should buy a house. Dogs do not belong in apartments.

First of all, it's HELL for your neighbors. They hate your dog and likely hate you and your faggoty doo dads too. And they are paying rent, your dogs aren't.

Second, barking is how dogs communicate, the same way babies cry and people like you complain. Why are you trying to silence them? Could you imagine if every time you opened that gaping pie-hole of yours someone came around and tasered you? Not pleasant, right? It's people like you that get their dogs vocal chords cut out to stop them from barking. And I know you've considered it.

by Anonymousreply 3812/31/2012

If you must live in an apartment, you need to get the dog's vocal cords clipped.

It's the most humane option.

by Anonymousreply 3912/31/2012

I had me a dog and it barked so I returned it to the pound, then the next one I got also barked, so I returned it.

Then the pound people got all snippy, so I just would pay neighbor kids a dollar to go to the pound and get me a dog, till I found one that didn't bark.

Funny thing, and you'll all love this, it turned out to be a cat.

And I just set the dogs free in the park to roam and live the life of freedom they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 4012/31/2012

Isn't it interesting how the people who make life unpleasant for the rest of us are the ones who are pretending to be humane and caring - by being irresponsible, selfish and, ultimately, abusive to everything and everyone around them?

That's the criteria for psychopathology, and that's what these crazed "my dog must bark and fuck you" people are.

Happily, there are laws and gopher bait to resolve the problems of living around the insane.

by Anonymousreply 4112/31/2012

We crated our dog for maybe nine months or a year when we first had her. We have a walker during the day, though. We then transitioned, uneventfully, to leaving her loose in the apartment all day.

We did use a shock collar for a short time when she was young. I agree with other posters that the barking is the owner's problem and is unfair to inflict on fellow residents. One or two times being shocked was enough to stop the barking, and we then retired it. Now she barks only if there's good reason.

by Anonymousreply 4201/01/2013

You cheap ass people in apartments shouldn't have DOGS until you put on your big girl panties and buy a freaking house. I can't believe you'd be so barbaric as to administer an ELECTRIC SHOCK to your dogs each time they try to communicate. I wish I could taser you each time you opened your trap.

by Anonymousreply 4301/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.