Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Roger Ebert's top ten of 2012

Ugh, I don't even know why I'm bothering. "Argo"? Really? And he has "the Master" in his runner-ups after giving it a 2 star pan.

1. Argo

2. Life of Pi

3. Lincoln

4. End of Watch

5. Arbitrage

6. Flight

7. The Sessions

8. Beats of the Southern Wild

9. Oslo, August 31

10. A Simple Life

Runners-up: "Central Park Five," "Impossible,""In the Family," "Last Ride," "A Late Quartet," "The Master," "Paradise Lost 3," "Rampart," "Searching for Sugar Man" and "West of Memphis."

by Anonymousreply 3312/29/2012

It seems like a respectable list to me. His top three are probably the same as mine (although I'd put Lincoln at the top).

by Anonymousreply 112/28/2012

You're about to awaken the Roger Ebert troll in 3...2...1...

by Anonymousreply 212/28/2012

What? No Les Miz? This is an outrage!

by Anonymousreply 312/28/2012

WTF? Les Miserables should have been on top of the list.

by Anonymousreply 412/28/2012

Les Miz should be number 1 and all the cast should be nominated for OSCARS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 512/28/2012

The Master is on practically every top 10 list I've seen and it's just utter pretentious crap.

by Anonymousreply 612/28/2012

"Amour" is the best film of the year, and mops the floor with this entire list.

But who cares about a guy who championed lifetime movie-of-the-week "Crash" over "BBM".

He's dumb, and has no taste.

by Anonymousreply 712/28/2012

[quote]"Amour" is the best film of the year, and mops the floor with this entire list.

Pretentious French crap.

by Anonymousreply 812/28/2012

The Master? For real?

by Anonymousreply 912/28/2012

link

by Anonymousreply 1012/28/2012

no, r8. It's deep and French (and Austrian, actually).

And you can't handle that.

by Anonymousreply 1112/28/2012

Hated ARGO, hated LINCOLN, hate THE MASTER, hated DJANGO UNCHAINED, hated SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, hated MOONRISE KINGDOM, hate SKYFALL, hated THE DARK KNIGHT. . . the list goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 1312/28/2012

What did you like R13?

by Anonymousreply 1412/28/2012

R13 loved LES MIZ!

by Anonymousreply 1512/28/2012

[R13] Not as much as I hate you

by Anonymousreply 1712/28/2012

He didn't mention The Hobbit.

maybe he can be persuaded to modify his list if MsA and I park our heavy asses on his chest. HE WILL RELENT.

by Anonymousreply 1812/28/2012

but I fucking LOVED Twilight: Breaking Dawn 2.

by Anonymousreply 1912/28/2012

So true r6 and I don't get it. THE MASTER was a tired film and these critics are masturbating over it with as much vigor as Joaquin's character fucked the woman made out of beach sand. Both of the critics on my favorite(?) film podcast Filmspotting placed The Master in their top 5 (one actually picked it as his #1 film) and it left me scratching my head like no other year.

I'm a cinephile myself but there's always that one film that critics seem to go ga-ga-goo-goo over that leaves me quite perplexed and this year it's The Master.

by Anonymousreply 2012/28/2012

Some critics pointedly pick movies they know other critics like. "Flight" doesn't belong on anyone's top ten list. It is predictable, pretentious anti-alcohol crap. Admittedly the crash scene was well done. And let's give Affleck an award for his boring political movie "Argo!" Yet these two pedestrian films are on everyone's list and will win a lot of awards, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 2112/28/2012

Roger - no mention of ZERO DARK THIRTY ?

Every other critic has been cumming all over themselves and Kathryn Bigelow about it, and it's considered a front runner for all the awards.

Have your pain meds gone to your brain, you perpetually grinning idiot?

by Anonymousreply 2212/28/2012

Oslo, August 31st is a beautiful film, extremely pretentious but visually stunning. The intriguing thing for me was it's depiction of Norwegian society, I probably wouldn't have cared at all if it was Pittsburgh, August 31st.

by Anonymousreply 2312/28/2012

PRETTY IN PINK is still my gold standard. Love, R13

by Anonymousreply 2412/28/2012

Roger is a Sick Individual for not including "Les Miserables"!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2512/28/2012

[quote]Roger - no mention of ZERO DARK THIRTY ?

Over-rated.

by Anonymousreply 2612/28/2012

Apparently no one else on DL has seen "Arbitrage." I have, and IT'S FUCKING TERRIBLE. Utterly cliche tripe with an utterly nonsensical, ridiculous ending. It never made it into wide release for a REASON, and I can't believe Ebert included it on his list.

by Anonymousreply 2712/28/2012

Where is Rust and Bone? Marion Cotillard did a great job in that film. She deserves another Oscar for her depiction of the orca trainer whose life takes a dark turn because of her chosen profession. That Belgian hottie,Matthias Schoenaerts is something else. He really does that rugged and handsome thing rather well.

Les Miz? HAHAHAHAHA! You must be joking. Then again it will be nominated for the music, the makeup, costumes among other things BUT the acting? Can anyone say yuck? Seriously, it's a well done musical but most Hollywood types will probably not honor it with any major awards.Amanda Seyfried is in it for Pete's sake!

by Anonymousreply 2812/28/2012

The only change I would make to Ebert's list would be swap in How to Survive a Plague for #4.

by Anonymousreply 2912/29/2012

Ebert admits in the article that he hasn't seen a good deal of the recent releases because of his injury. "Zero Dark Thirty" and "Django Unchained" screened late in the year, so he probably missed those. Considering Ebert loves Tarantino and he put "The Hurt Locker" as his second favorite film of the decade, I expect both would be there otherwise.

I doubt "Les Miserables" would, even if he likes it. The last musical he ranked in the top ten was "Everyone Says I Love You" back in 1996. Before that, you have to go back to 1979 for a live action musical he considered top ten material.

by Anonymousreply 3012/29/2012

DJANGO UNCHAINED is a shockingly stupid and dispiritingly unfunny cartoon in which Tarantino makes one of his regrettable cameo appearances, and which suggests in general that QT has lost his ability to: land a joke, get out of a scene at the right moment, pace things, figure out how to stop, express an interest in women, back away from his silly back-street homophobia, leave black people alone. Terrible film.

by Anonymousreply 3112/29/2012

All the treatments he's undergone for cancer must've affected his brain.

by Anonymousreply 3212/29/2012

Looks like "Lincoln" rates pretty high.

by Anonymousreply 3312/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.